• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Arceus or Mew?

Years
  • I have just recently noticed something.
    Alright, you know how Arceus is the God of all Pokemon and Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon? And then everyone's just confused on who created who and who was first? Well, it's possible they might be in relation to real world claims of creation. Mew being the scientific part and Arceus being the religious part. You get what I'm saying? o.o I seriously want people to know about this.

MOD EDIT: We've had three seperate threads in the past week all discussing theories surrounding Arceus and Mew- please keep all discussion in this thread rather than creating new ones. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    It's the chicken and the egg thing all over.

Arceus would have had to came first because it created the universe. I think the main reason for the confusion was Mew being from an earlier generation than Arceus.

Years
  • I think that Arceus created Earth and Mew and turned into a lazy bastard after that, taking a huge bag of Doritos to his universe and leaving Mew to finish his job like "I made you, so you do my B.S."

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If you've watched the movies and the games' lore, it's more likely that Mew once lived in abundance like any pokémon. Kind of like the first fish rising from the ocean :3 Then they evolved into every species there is today, 'cept for legendaries.

With this as base, I like the OP's theory!

Years
  • What Came First - Mew Or Arceus?

This is the question that baffles the minds of the greatest Pokemon philosophers out there - Which One Came First? I'm here to share my theories and views of the subject. Just to clarify, the evidence I present is canon in-game, in the anime, etc. So, let's begin!
    To start things off, I shall share some Pokedex entries. In Silver, it clearly states that "(Mew's) DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques." Notice how it states all, which may include Arceus. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that it came before it, though. Moving on, Arceus's Pearl entry says "It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed." Also, Black and White shares that "It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world." Very interesting... that it merged from an egg. However, what could have laid that egg? Perhaps it could have been formed over time... or created by Mew!
    Now my theory starts to take off. Mew did create Arceus... and Arceus formed the world (it never stated that it created the universe, though, which we can just leave as a plot-hole for now)! Although not mentioned quite as clear earlier, evidence in the Pokemon Universe proves that Mew may just be the ancestor of all Pokemon, making it older than Arceus.
    Is there information to prove my theory wrong? Do you have your own? Be sure to respond your thoughts in the comments below!

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    obviously arceus since he's the pokegod and created all pokemon. mew is just the first pokemon it created.

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    This is the question that baffles the minds of the greatest Pokemon philosophers out there - Which One Came First? I'm here to share my theories and views of the subject. Just to clarify, the evidence I present is canon in-game, in the anime, etc. So, let's begin!
    To start things off, I shall share some Pokedex entries. In Silver, it clearly states that "(Mew's) DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques." Notice how it states all, which may include Arceus. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that it came before it, though. Moving on, Arceus's Pearl entry says "It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed." Also, Black and White shares that "It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world." Very interesting... that it merged from an egg. However, what could have laid that egg? Perhaps it could have been formed over time... or created by Mew!
    Now my theory starts to take off. Mew did create Arceus... and Arceus formed the world (it never stated that it created the universe, though, which we can just leave as a plot-hole for now)! Although not mentioned quite as clear earlier, evidence in the Pokemon Universe proves that Mew may just be the ancestor of all Pokemon, making it older than Arceus.
    Is there information to prove my theory wrong? Do you have your own? Be sure to respond your thoughts in the comments below!

This is a very interesting theorie that i would like to give my own view on, now you used pokedex entries from the game which gives you evidence to back up your theorie which is always needed, but let me state something. Now if Arceus hatched from a egg, and the egg was created by mew, then why can't Mew lay eggs on it's own in the day care center? Mew is also genderless meaning that it couldn't have laid the egg. Now you could state Mew just created it, but why would Mew create a egg instead of Arceus itself? I think the egg had always been their, and when Arceus hatched he made the world and everything, and the first pokemon he created was Mew, and because of this he based all other pokemon off of mew,since Mew was the very first one.

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    The Theory that has everyone on edge

So i have been skimming the forums and i have noticed that people are debating who came first Arceus or Mew, Since Arceus is consider the god of pokemon, and Mew is consider the ancestor of all pokemon,so i thought i share my views on this.

Lets Look at their Pokedex entries first, Mews Silver pokedex entry states "Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques." Take note it does not say that Mew created the other pokemon,but has the genetic codes of all pokemon.

Now lets look at Arceus from Pokemon X, "According to the legends of Sinnoh, this Pokémon emerged from an egg and shaped all there is in this world." Now many people will state that since it emerged from the egg this proves Mew came first, but does it really? Lets look at it this way, lets say the egg had always been their,which you could say isn't possible but that would also be stating it wouldn't be possible for Mew to always be their. Lets say Arceus hatched and he created the universe and everything,and then he made the world of pokemon, from here people who believe Arceus came first think he went ahead and made Mew and everything,but lets not forget Palkia, dialga, and Giratine.

Arceus is consider the trio master of the creation trio and the lake guardians(more on them later) The creation trio was made after Arceus created the universe with Palkia the Master of Space, Dialga the Master of Time, and Giratina the Master of Antimatter. Now you might be wondering why i am pointing this out but it is stated he made them right after he created the universe, if he did this why did he give Mew all the genetics of pokemon and not these guys? It is also stated he created the lake guardians who represent spirit before he fell into eternal slumber, with this in mind we can assume he made these guys last so they could, along with the creation trio keep the world in balance so he could fall into his eternal slumber.

Now lets Look at Mew the pokedex entries he has all state he has all the genetics of pokemon, would this also mean Arceus genetics? Why would Arceus give Mew his genetics as well since their would be risk Mew could use it to overthrow Arceus, which may sound stupid, but look at Giratina he was banished because of his violence so it's not like that couldn't have happened.

Lets look at the evil teams, Team Rocket was able to clone Mew Creating Mewtwo but when team Galactic tried to call and control the creation trio they failed, if Mew was the first pokemon out their then how could a evil organization be able to capture and clone him, but not the creation trio? One would assume Mew Would make all the pokemon weaker than him, not stronger.

I have bored you enough with text so here's my conclusion, i think Arceus came first theirs just more facts based off of it, now their holes in the theory either came first but i think Arceus still takes it,the only facts we get from Mew is that he has all the genetics of Pokemon while Arceus is the trio master of two trios and also is stated to have created everything. Although the debate is still open this is just my conclusion based off my research.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Appreciate your theories and ideas on the matter, but you should have just posted in one of the existing threads discussing the matter rather than creating an entirely new one. I'm going to move your thread over there, so feel free to continue your discussion in that thread!

MERGED.

Koiko

A Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
    Years
  • I honestly think that wabbufett was the first pokemon and then the wabbufets evolved into mew who created Arceus? 0.o

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
  • I have just recently noticed something.
    Alright, you know how Arceus is the God of all Pokemon and Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon? And then everyone's just confused on who created who and who was first? Well, it's possible they might be in relation to real world claims of creation. Mew being the scientific part and Arceus being the religious part. You get what I'm saying? o.o I seriously want people to know about this.

MOD EDIT: We've had three seperate threads in the past week all discussing theories surrounding Arceus and Mew- please keep all discussion in this thread rather than creating new ones. Thanks!

I've thought of it in those terms for a long time now :pink_smile:
    Although I have my own theory on Mew (see the Mew thread in my signature), I've been convinced that the myth of Arceus is mere myth for quite some time. Nobody created the Pokémon universe but Satoshi Tajiri, haha :pink_giggle:

Drazieth

Drazieth the Great
    Years
  • YES, wait no. The story goes Arceus Created the pokemon that Created the world, Making pokemon like Palkia, Dialga, etc. This would also mean he created mew; So if you want to get technical and say Mew is the creator of the world; Arceus still is due to being the maker of mew.

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
    Years
  • I follow the theory that Arceus created the universe which in turn brought about the genesis of Mew. Pretty straightforward imo

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2014
    What really adds an interesting wrinkle to the theory is that the idea (if you're going by PokeDex entries as a basis for the theory, anyway) would suggest that Mew, due to having the genetic make-up of all Pokemon, would also have the DNA of Arceus. Due to Mew's comparisons to Ditto and the suggestion there that somehow Ditto may be a failed Mew clone, Ditto's ability to transform also suggests that Mew can do the same (something backed up by evidence in the games, obviously).

So what's to say Mew and Arceus aren't just two different sides of the same coin? I.e. one in the same.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • Arceus is like the god of the Pokemon Universe, so he created Mew. Mew is just the common ancestor of all Pokemon, so all the other pokemon stem from it. (not including Dialga,Palkia)

Years
  • Arceus is PokeGod. He is like the God we see in religions, the one who created all. While Mew is like an all-in-one Adam and Eve. As far as I know Adam and Eve are considered the common ancestors, so I think things kinda add up.

Back