• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2009
    I can walk over houses!

I am having a problem with my tilesets. in the rpgmxp, i mark things as unpassable, but when i testplay, i can walk right over them. im not sure how to fix that. can anyone help?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • I will ask this once more..
    Hey guys.. I know I asked this earlier, but no one answered, so bear with me...
    I'm looking for basics on pokestarter advanced scripting. I already know how to make simple scripts, it's a bit easy.. :/

I just need a link.. I've tried searching but I can't seem to find much of 'basics' especially for pokestarter.
    What I really want to find out how to do is making Input scripts and Timers.. I'd tell you my idea but I'm scared of getting it stolen
    I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for here. Naturally, context would help, i.e. knowing what you intend to do. You can PM me about it if you like, and I'll promise not to steal.

As far as I imagine it, a timer script is something along the lines of "talk to man, wait 3 hours, talk to man and get Aerodactyl". There's already a way to make delayed events, and I suspect it's somewhere in the notes. It involves making a new page in the event you want to wait. I don't know the details offhand.

As for input scripts, to me that could either mean "press X to not die" quicktime-like events or "insert name here" screens. The latter is of course possible, since that's how one inputs one's name for the player. The former, yes, would require scripting, but I can vaguely imagine how to do it (create a looping script that checks for an input, add a timing variable that adds 1 each loop, break if variable>60, sort of thing. Those kinds of loops are all over the place in the scripts anyway, so it would just require some imaginative copy-pasting).

I am having a problem with my tilesets. in the rpgmxp, i mark things as unpassable, but when i testplay, i can walk right over them. im not sure how to fix that. can anyone help?
    You may have painted over the things you're walking over with a non-blank tile in a higher layer. Only the passability of the tile in the highest layer will count when the game decides where you can and cannot go, and some tiles may be visually blank but still have passability. Use only the uppermost leftmost tile for erasing other tiles, since that definitely has no passability.

On the other hand, I recall a problem like this being posted some months ago. As I recall, the solution was to reload the tileset (which unfortunately meant having to reset all the passabilities/etc.).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    A new version was released today. Unlike previous updates, however, I spent considerable time updating the many scripts and adding new features. The notes have also been reorganized and expanded.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • First comment on that:

HOLY SPIT.

Gonna update MSB right now, thanks a lot Poccil! :D

EDIT: Dont see anything in the changes log... what's new?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    Question:

I'm trying to make it so that the player only picks one pokemon out of three from the professor. However, when a player chooses one, the others are still available for some strange reason. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • Thats not a starter kit thing, thats an RMXP thing. Just set up some switches. If a player chooses a pokemon, make it so it turns on 'gotprofessorball' or whatever you want to call it, and have a second page in your other pokeballs that has the switch on, and have it say something else.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Hey guys, i have a little doubt: Which line on the Scene_Intro do I must edit in order to make the intro pictures to remain more time? You know, like on the real games. Because my pictures can be seen only half a second... it's not cool.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    sampletextbox.png

How can i modify the game's custom messagebox so that it looks similar to what picture above? I basically want to text off to the left and a picture of the person talking off to the right.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    sampletextbox.png

How can i modify the game's custom messagebox so that it looks similar to what picture above? I basically want to text off to the left and a picture of the person talking off to the right.

To do this, add the following code to the script section PokemonMessages:

Code:
    def pbPositionFaceWindow(facewindow,msgwindow)
       return if !facewindow
       if msgwindow
        if facewindow.height<=msgwindow.height
         facewindow.y=msgwindow.y
        else
         facewindow.y=msgwindow.y+msgwindow.height-facewindow.height
        end
        facewindow.x=Graphics.width-facewindow.width
        msgwindow.x=0
        msgwindow.width=Graphics.width-facewindow.width
       else
        facewindow.height=Graphics.height if facewindow.height>Graphics.height
        facewindow.x=0
        facewindow.y=0
       end
    end
    Then, in the script section PokemonMessages, replace each instance of the following code:
    Code:
    pbPositionNearMsgWindow(facewindow,msgwindow,:left)
    with this:
    Code:
    pbPositionFaceWindow(facewindow,msgwindow)

To show a face using the message system, use \f[picture_file_name] where picture_file_name is the name of a picture file in the Graphics/Pictures/ folder.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Is it just me, or is the 'new version' on the site actually an older version? I'm sure the previous version had more scripts etc; besides, the file modification dates for the 'new' version are from 2008.

Fraot

Years
  • Ahem, so... my main point about my question was... is there a wait command on scripting? You know, like the one from the default eventing thing. I need it to show the pictures from the intro more time, also, to play a sound like on D/P when you press Start and then wait a little to change screen to the load one.

Maruno

Years
  • Ahem, so... my main point about my question was... is there a wait command on scripting? You know, like the one from the default eventing thing. I need it to show the pictures from the intro more time, also, to play a sound like on D/P when you press Start and then wait a little to change screen to the load one.
    Scene_Intro, line 40 should look something like this:

Code:
        # Instance Variables      
        @item, @speed, @o_speed, @phase = 0, 15, 20, 0
    That "15" is the speed the screens fade in and out. A lower number corresponds to a longer fade in/out. It still doesn't leave a gap between finishing fading in and starting to fade out, but it makes the thing visible for longer. If you're happy with this, then it's an easy fix.

If not, then look to line 89, which looks something like this:

Code:
        # Changes Direction
        @speed *= -1 if @sprite.opacity >= 255
    This line causes it to start fading out as soon as it has fully faded in. This part needs to be changed if you want the screen to remain at full opacity for longer. I'm not sure how, but one solution may be to create another variable and start adding numbers to that instead/as well as when the opacity hits max (255), and then only multiplying by -1 when the new variable is greater than a certain value (remember that 20 loops equals 1 second, so if you're adding 1 to the new variable and you want the screen to stay fully visible for 3 seconds, multiply by -1 only when the new variable hits 60).

I think that's about right, anyway. I haven't tried the second option, but it can't be too difficult.

You don't want to use a wait command (if such a thing existed), because then you wouldn't be able to press a button to skip through the screen quicker - the loop needs to be cycled through in order to allow this.

Fraot

Years
  • Thank you Maruno, I'll test it, it's like I had cool stuf on the intro, but only that issue was the only obstacle.
    So, in addition, there's no a wait command, right? I also wanted a comand like that on the PokeCOMP, I mean, my version of the pokegear. I wanted to put that wait command in order to allow the player to see the buttons on the pokegear chaging their sprites to a... "pressed" state while pressing C key, lift the C key and wait a little, then change the button to normal state after some frames, and then change the screen. It is the only detail i'm missing on my Pokegear. I was thinking on a method wich indicates:

if the C key is pressed{change x buton to y button}
    else {the y button returns to be x button}
    (obviously, this condition is for every button)

But the problem was at the time of changing the screens, if C key is not being pressed, the y button returns to x button... but it was supposed to take the player to x screen if the C key was pressed, the problem is: there's no method for that, so... I had to put only an else... but is the C key is not pressed, it will create a crash because EVERY screens would try to appear at the same time.

Did you get me? Hahaha, I'm not so good writing in english.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    A few things have avoided me while using Essentials, how do you

1. Put in battle backgrounds so they work continuously

and

2. Get the cloud shadows on the ground effect I've seen a number of games?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2021
    Can anyone tell me how do i make the pokegear change apps using the left/right button instead of up/down?

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    lx_theo:

To answer question 2, I assume you mean allowing clouds to be seen reflecting in the water. This can be achieved by creating a panorama that represents clouds in the sky. Water tiles in the map where the panorama is used should be transparent in order to let the panorama show through.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • Poccil, since people are like clamoring for a caterpillar script all over the place since the announcement of the game HG/SS is there any chance you'd get around to doing it?

Maruno

Years
  • Thank you Maruno, I'll test it, it's like I had cool stuf on the intro, but only that issue was the only obstacle.
    So, in addition, there's no a wait command, right? I also wanted a comand like that on the PokeCOMP, I mean, my version of the pokegear. I wanted to put that wait command in order to allow the player to see the buttons on the pokegear chaging their sprites to a... "pressed" state while pressing C key, lift the C key and wait a little, then change the button to normal state after some frames, and then change the screen. It is the only detail i'm missing on my Pokegear. I was thinking on a method wich indicates:

if the C key is pressed{change x buton to y button}
    else {the y button returns to be x button}
    (obviously, this condition is for every button)

But the problem was at the time of changing the screens, if C key is not being pressed, the y button returns to x button... but it was supposed to take the player to x screen if the C key was pressed, the problem is: there's no method for that, so... I had to put only an else... but is the C key is not pressed, it will create a crash because EVERY screens would try to appear at the same time.

Did you get me? Hahaha, I'm not so good writing in english.
    So you want to show the button as being pressed for as long as someone's pressing the C key, and only after they stop pressing it will the screen change?

You could try making another loop inside each of the "if C is pressed" options in the bigger "check for input" loop. The smaller loop would look something like this:

Code:
    [COLOR=Blue]if[/COLOR] C is pressed
      [COLOR=Red]set button image to pressed[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Blue]else[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Red]set button image to normal[/COLOR]
      sleep(10)
      [COLOR=SeaGreen]change scene[/COLOR] (the code that's already there)
    [COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]
    Something like that might work. The "sleep(10)" line (see below) is optional, because the screen will fade out anyway, which takes a second or so. You might as well have it such that as soon as C is not being pressed anymore, start fading out and going to the next screen.

I think there's something like a "sleep(X)" command in Ruby, which pauses the script for X frames before continuing, but from what I've read people tend not to like it. They prefer using a method pretty much like what I detailed above, actually.

Can anyone tell me how do i make the pokegear change apps using the left/right button instead of up/down?
    If you search the PokéGear script for words such as "UP" and "DOWN", you may well find what you're looking for. Replace them with "LEFT" and "RIGHT". It's not difficult.

Poccil, since people are like clamoring for a caterpillar script all over the place since the announcement of the game HG/SS is there any chance you'd get around to doing it?
    They're not, are they? Dependent events already exist, and they work fine. I thought everyone wanted a way to change the image of the dependent event depending on which pokémon is at the front of their party.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back