• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021
    Can some one help me with this error?
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon:Malachite Version~
    Exception: TypeError
    Compiler:2824:in `[]='
    Compiler:2824:in `pbCompileAnimations'
    Compiler:2822:in `each'
    Compiler:2822:in `pbCompileAnimations'
    Compiler:2819:in `each'
    Compiler:2819:in `pbCompileAnimations'
    Compiler:2898:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:2941

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Can test my game because of it....

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Can some one help me with this error?
    Exception: TypeError
    Compiler:2824:in `[]='
    Compiler:2824:in `pbCompileAnimations'
    Compiler:2822:in `each'
    Compiler:2822:in `pbCompileAnimations'
    Compiler:2819:in `each'
    Compiler:2819:in `pbCompileAnimations'
    Compiler:2898:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:2941

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Can test my game because of it....

Hmm seems to be something is off with the animation data. Did you currently edit anything in the animation editor. "It says you cant convert animation into string", Something that was edited or changed cant be converted into a the string data type, what did you do recently?

@Cilerba
    I believe this tells you what to do.
    Originally Posted by Cilerba
    Hi again. I was wondering if somebody could help me use the pbDownloadToString method.

I am kind of confused on what to do here.

Thankfully, this is quite simple. Basically, start off by creating a text file and uploading it to your site in comma seperated format:

Code:
    PikaPika,25,10
    The actually order and values of course, depends on what you're using the data for. In this case, I'm using nickname, Pokémon number and Pokémon level. There's no limit to the number of values you have. Next, you implement this script - in an event, for example:

Code:
    string=pbDownloadToString("http://www.yoursite.com/test.txt")data = []string.each(',') {|s| data.push(s.delete(","))}
    Basically, this code downloads the information from the text file (the text file needs to be in UTF-8) and puts it into an array. So in this case, data[0] is "PikaPika", data[1] is "25" and data[2] is "10". This values could be used for anything, really, but if you say, wanted to give the player a Pokémon...

Code:
    pbAddForeignPokemon(data[1].to_i,data[2].to_i,_("Previous Owner"),_(data[0]))
    In this case, it would give you a level 10 Pikachu, with a nickname "PikaPika". The ".to_i" is added after certain variables to convert strings into integers. In other words, the text string "25", is converted into the number value 25

If you cant figure it out then you shouldn't be messing with advanced features.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021
    Hmm seems to be something is off with the animation data. Did you currently edit anything in the animation editor. "It says you cant convert animation into string", Something that was edited or changed cant be converted into a the string data type, what did you do recently?
    I changed how some of the animations would be seen recently, i have a backup of the old animation data though so lemme try that,.

EDIT: Nope it still does it..... :(

EDIT: I also get this error....

Script 'PokeBattle_Trainer' line 91: NameError occurred.
    uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Trainer::PBSpecies
    OK

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021
    are you sure, Would you mind posting the changes you've made?
    I only changed the animations from being shown in the MIDDLE to SCREEN...

I also get this;
    Script 'PokeBattle_Trainer' line 91: NameError occurred.
    uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Trainer::PBSpecies
    OK

These errors are really random cuz I havent touched any script in quite some time..... and things were working perfectly fine earlier today...

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • I had a bug that randomly changed the trainer type of BUGCATCHER to TRAINER12...I fixed it, but it was random, maybe the same thing happened to your game.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • If you cant figure it out then you shouldn't be messing with advanced features.

Charizard, I'd watch your attitude if I were you. Given that you've can't even change the game resolution yourself, you shouldn't be so quick to call out other people for struggling with scripts. Also, if you'd bothered reading his entire problem, you'd know that he already knows how to do that, but wants to modify it a little.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Charizard, I'd watch your attitude if I were you. Given that you've can't even change the game resolution yourself, you shouldn't be so quick to call out other people for struggling with scripts. Also, if you'd bothered reading his entire problem, you'd know that he already knows how to do that, but wants to modify it a little.

Wow seriously you just had to say that huh?! First I can change the game res I dont wish to. I perfer the GBA style and I was testing a DS Sprite and I knew it looked off just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a perfectionist. I infact changed many of the default scripts that came with the kit. Sigh* but I guess posts like the one above are prone to happen when people assume they know whats going on and jump to conclusions...

Klofkac

He's back!
    Years
  • How I can make the centrain pokémon doesn't pop out from ball, but it goes from side?

Like in HG/SS and pikachu in yellow.

Last edited:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Hmm seems to be something is off with the animation data. Did you currently edit anything in the animation editor. "It says you cant convert animation into string", Something that was edited or changed cant be converted into a the string data type, what did you do recently?

@Cilerba
    I believe this tells you what to do.

If you cant figure it out then you shouldn't be messing with advanced features.

MrChewy told me to use this as a code.
    Code:
    string=pbDownloadToString("http://www.yoursite.com/test.txt")
    data = []
    string.each(',') {|s| data.push(s.delete(","))}

But Wichu told me to use this so I can have a mystery gift similar to raptor's.

Code:
    string[/#(.*?)#/]
    code=$1

What code do I use to get the mystery gift?

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021
    I had a bug that randomly changed the trainer type of BUGCATCHER to TRAINER12...I fixed it, but it was random, maybe the same thing happened to your game.
    Nah I dont think we have the same error....The only thing I think we have in common are that they both come out of no where....This is really bugging me. I cant do anything to my game and test it now....

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Wow seriously you just had to say that huh?! First I can change the game res I dont wish to

Really?

... also DS size screen doesn't work for me...

I don't wish to begin an argument here, and if I'm reading your post wrong than I apologise. I'd just advise you to be less aggressive and hypocritical in the future; don't call out other people for being amateur, especially when you're at about the same level of skill as they are.

@Cilerba: Both those samples of code are snippets only. While the code I gave can work on its own, if you want to do something more advanced you're going to have to learn RGSS and use Wichu's method. I would love to help here but my actually knowledge of RGSS doesn't extend that far.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • How do I fix the weird Y axis of trainer Pokemon as well as the weird position of your actual sprite after a few moves in battle (when your Pokemon "bobs", it'll gradually ascend the Y axis of the screen).

I think someone else posted this; I posted about it earlier. The Editor option for sprite rearrangement doesn't help.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Here post this fix

Code:
    [COLOR=blue]if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon[/COLOR]
       self.x=@spriteX
       [COLOR=red]self.y=118[/COLOR]
       self.visible=@spriteVisible
       elsif @selected==1
       self.x=@spriteX
       [COLOR=red]self.y=120[/COLOR]
      elsif @selected==2 # When targeted or damaged
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
       self.visible=(@frame%10<7)
      elsif 
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
     [COLOR=blue] end[/COLOR]

delete everything in your script between the blue parts including the blue parts if you want but you dont have to.

Paste the code above!

after you do change the red parts to the values you need those are my values. If you dont know your values playtest game as it is. If the pokemon is higher than you raise the values. If your pokemon is lower than its supposed to be you lower the value. With enough trial and error you should eventually find your values.

@yusshin here you go.

find the script pokebattle_Actualscene and past the code above anf follow the rest of directions

@mrchewy

also DS size screen doesn't work for me...

I ment i dont like the way it looks... you did read it wrong. If i can make the screen smaller im sure i can make it longer and wider. If i can handle a low level language like C++ i'm sure Ruby isn't hard for me to pick up without actually learning it. While I admit i'm hardly an expert in ruby but its not a hard language to figure out being everything in ruby looks like objects and is way easier to read/modify than C++....

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • That's to fix the bobbing part, right? Thanks.

[Edit]

It worked; now I just need to figure out how to fix the trainer battles. Is there a fix somewhere for that, too?

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That's to fix the bobbing part, right? Thanks.

[Edit]

It worked; now I just need to figure out how to fix the trainer battles. Is there a fix somewhere for that, too?
    There are two parts that dictate the y coordinates for foe pokémon - one for trainer battles and one for wild battles. Make sure the code that sets the y coordinates in those two places looks the same. Hint - search for "metrics".

We really do need a wiki to put up FAQs. I'm getting a little tired now of seeing battle sprite placement problems, and other questions that keep getting repeated. No, the wiki wouldn't stop people asking these questions (I imagine only 5% of users would ever read it before asking), but it'd be much easier to answer them - "read the wiki".

KingCharizard, how is your attempt at an informal wiki going?

KingCharizard

Years
  • There are two parts that dictate the y coordinates for foe pokémon - one for trainer battles and one for wild battles. Make sure the code that sets the y coordinates in those two places looks the same. Hint - search for "metrics".

We really do need a wiki to put up FAQs. I'm getting a little tired now of seeing battle sprite placement problems, and other questions that keep getting repeated. No, the wiki wouldn't stop people asking these questions (I imagine only 5% of users would ever read it before asking), but it'd be much easier to answer them - "read the wiki".

I didn't think people wanted the wiki, i mean I had a more serious one but I went on vacation when i came home my bro messed with it so now its trashed and i didnt bother fixing it since the community felt a senior member like Neo or someone should make one. I can honestly say I wont be writing another either. I'll contribute to one but not try to manage one.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • We really do need a wiki to put up FAQs. I'm getting a little tired now of seeing battle sprite placement problems, and other questions that keep getting repeated. No, the wiki wouldn't stop people asking these questions (I imagine only 5% of users would ever read it before asking), but it'd be much easier to answer them - "read the wiki".

I certainly agree. I think the starter kit has grown large enough that it we really need to sort out some more documentation. Given that poccil only checks in occasionally, I'll also look into what options we've got for a GameDev wiki.

pokemonforever27

IS RIDING LUGIA...
    Years
  • Map Connection Problems

I actually have two problems.

The first one is that I have a map that appears to be looping itself. Here's what I mean:
    Spoiler:

I have absolutely no idea what the problem is. RMXP says everything is ok. The Visual Editor says everything is fine, and that it isn't some how connected to itself...I'm spent. Any ideas, anyone?

My second problem is a bit more of a hinder to gameplay. Somehow, despite me lining everything up in the Visual Editor, setting it up manually, my map connections aren't working. If you walk south in PALLET TOWN, instead of coming to the ocean peacefully, the ocean somehow comes above you instead! Here's what I mean:
    Spoiler:

For reference, here is the scene in the Visual Editor, and the connections.txt file itself:
    Spoiler:

I've searched for a possible cause to both problems for almost five hours. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Uh-oh, Maruno is speaking mumbojumbo with me .-. I can't search all the scripts in one shot for "Metrics"; what script is it in exactly? I specialize in mapping and events, not scripts o-o;;;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back