• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2010
Um, I've kinda got a problem...

I used the wiki site for getting the dual screen and I am trying to get an image to get onto the bottom of the screen in the intro to the game, so I use option 7.1 and get:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):1: syntax error
Code: Show.picture("introbg2")
^

***Full script:

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'

Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Joseph\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

and when I use option 7.2, the picture just doesn't show up at all. Can someone help me?

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2016
Try reading the error first. It's not difficult.

I dont know, what I did wrong, I made it like in the notes, this is my script: pbRegisterPartner
(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)

I am german and I dont know, what i should do exactly.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2010
I dont know, what I did wrong, I made it like in the notes, this is my script: pbRegisterPartner
PBTrainers(::Maiket,"Maike",0)

I'm not sure if that's correct, but try it out

also:

Um, I've kinda got a problem...

I used the wiki site for getting the dual screen and I am trying to get an image to get onto the bottom of the screen in the intro to the game, so I use option 7.1 and get:
Pokemon Essentials

Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):1: syntax error
^

***Full script:

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'

Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

C:\Users\Joseph\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

OK

and when I use option 7.2, the picture just doesn't show up at all. Can someone help me?

can someone help me out?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)

If you read what Maruno pointed out closely in the error, it says to put the parenthesis on the next line. You have this:
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)
but it should be this:
pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
If you read what Maruno pointed out closely in the error, it says to put the parenthesis on the next line. You have this:
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)
but it should be this:
pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::Maiket,"Maike",0)
Exactly. Or just use ExtendText to fit it all on one line.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 3, 2011
Im trying to playtest my game and I keep getting this error:

Exception Runtime error
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 600, key WILDITEMRARE

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2019
When i put in my own sprites, the background isnt transparent... It's a big white box, how do i make it transparent?

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
When i put in my own sprites, the background isnt transparent... It's a big white box, how do i make it transparent?

You can't just insert a sprite by itself and hope the background is transparent. You need to actually import the sprite into RPG Maker using the resource manager then setting the background to colour to transparent. Other option is to make the background transparent in a paint programe that has the capabilities.

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
the worst type of noob question is a complicated one...

I want to make a move that poisons the enemy then makes the user absorb the amount lost by the poison. is that possible? and if so, how?

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
Okay, I've been trying to get help from Crazyninjaguy about Scene_Movie working as a Title Screen and I've come across a snag, and was hoping people here could help me out. The script I used is in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

Now for the issue. The video works just great. The problem is that the video is 320x240 resolution and my game is played at 640x480. This issue with this is that the video only plays on the top left corner of the screen, only using 1/4 of the total screen size. The problem is, I want the video to play in the middle of the screen, not the top left corner.

Another issue I have, is that when you try to press a button to get to the actual game, the video doesn't stop playing... Is there a command I can put in the script to stop the movie from playing in addition to forcing it to play in the middle of the screen? I really need this info as soon as someone is able. I plan on releasing a new demo of my game in a few days, and I can't if I can't get this error fixed. Can someone please help me?

Also, I added code into Main after line 17.

if $PokemonTemp.begunNewGame == false
$game_system=Game_System.new
$game_switches = Game_Switches.new
$game_variables = Game_Variables.new
$game_self_switches = Game_SelfSwitches.new
$game_screen = Game_Screen.new
$game_player = Game_Player.new
$ItemData=readItemList("Data/items.dat")
$PokemonMap=PokemonMapMetadata.new
$PokemonGlobal=PokemonGlobalMetadata.new
$PokemonStorage=PokemonStorage.new
$PokemonEncounters=PokemonEncounters.new
$data_system = pbLoadRxData("Data/System")
$MapFactory=PokemonMapFactory.new($data_system.start_map_id) # calls setMapChanged
end
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2010
Is there a way to make that the pokémon that you're battling can't be caught by any means necessary?

Maruno

Years
For anyone I don't respond to, assume I don't know the answer to your question.

the worst type of noob question is a complicated one...

I want to make a move that poisons the enemy then makes the user absorb the amount lost by the poison. is that possible? and if so, how?
Sounds like Leech Seed to me, only with the "poisoned" part rather than an unmentioned depleting factor. You haven't explained fully how you want it to work (will the life gain only affect the user, or will it affect any Pokémon in its position? Should it be properly treated as the Poisoned status, or can it just mimic it? Note that here, the "user" is the Pokémon that used the move that poisoned/leeches off the "foe"). If you just want a Leech Seed effect, then just use that (and then give that Pokémon the Poisoned status at the end of the battle if it was still being affected by the Poison Leech).

I'll go into this just a little more. Here I assume you want a move that properly poisons the foe, and then any Pokémon in the user's position will leech HP from it. It's a bit fiddly, really. For starters, everything relating to the Leech Seed effect should be copied and renamed, and the effect should poison the foe in addition to activating the Poison Leech effect of the foe. The main difference here is when the HP is restored - at the end of the battle, find where the HP lost due to poison is calculated, and put in an "if" statement somewhere there depending on whether the Poison Leech effect is in play, and if so, give the user that same amount of HP - just mimic the Leech Seed clause in this same part of the scripts, with a few differences. Make sure not to have the foe lose HP again from Poison Leech (as it does from Leech Seed) - instead, use the amount of HP lost to poison, putting it into a temporary variable if necessary.

So in summary, yes, it is possible. And no, I won't go into more detail. I've said all the theory behind it, and all that's left is copy-pasting code. If you don't know how to do that, you shouldn't try.

Is there a way to make that the pokémon that you're battling can't be caught by any means necessary?
In PokeBattle_Battle, there's the def pbThrowPokeBall. You can make one of a few small edits to this, depending on how you want it to work. For all of them, you'll be needing a game switch, which will be ON if no Balls can work, and OFF normally.

If you want the thrown Ball to miss (i.e. the Pokémon is never even drawn into it), then find the small section in which the Ball is deflected if the target is owned by a trainer (and there's no shadow stuff going on). Copy this as an "elsif" clause, change it to require the game switch being ON, and change the message shown to, say, "The Poké Ball missed the target!".

If, however, you just want the Pokémon to always break free (even if it's a Master Ball), then look a little lower down where the Master Ball is mentioned (it sets "shakes" to 4). Just below that, add in an "elsif" clause which requires the game switch being ON, and have it set "shakes" to 0.

That's just a brief outline. Make sure you figure out what's going on. You may want to do something more elaborate depending on whatever circumstances you have (e.g. displaying a special effect of the thrown Ball hitting a magical barrier, or exploding or something) - if so, you'll have to make that yourself.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
Okay, I hate asking this because it probably has already been covered, but I just set the outdoor maps and now, everything's dark and it's only noon. XD How do I fix this?

Valora17

Something Memorable?
Years
Is there anywhere I can get a PBS file that already has all the moves in it? I noticed that the one in the version I have doesn't have them all, and therefore the pokemon who should have those moves don't have them either. Or would I have to do this manually?

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
Bah. I get the feeling this has been asked already, but theres so many pages to look through, and the Search didn't help me much.

But, I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to implement new types into the maker? Ex: Bird (Obviously for a specific reason)
2. Is it possible to implement new Pokemon into the maker? Ex: MissingNo (Why else would I want Bird type)
3. In one of the pbs files I saw something about Shadow Moves. Is it possible to integrate that with normal Pokemon moves? If so, how?

I'd really, truly love appreciate it if you could answer. So, thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
Okay, I hate asking this because it probably has already been covered, but I just set the outdoor maps and now, everything's dark and it's only noon. XD How do I fix this?
It seems to be some kind of bug. It happens to me too - the outdoor shade can change completely between two play tests done five minutes apart. I'd like to know how to fix it.

Is there anywhere I can get a PBS file that already has all the moves in it? I noticed that the one in the version I have doesn't have them all, and therefore the pokemon who should have those moves don't have them either. Or would I have to do this manually?
As the 4th Gen move effects haven't been included in Essentials, there was no reason to include their entries in moves.txt (and in the Pokémon movesets). Unless someone else is willing to share their copies, you'll have to do it yourself. No one said making a game was quick and easy.

Bah. I get the feeling this has been asked already, but theres so many pages to look through, and the Search didn't help me much.

But, I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to implement new types into the maker? Ex: Bird (Obviously for a specific reason)
2. Is it possible to implement new Pokemon into the maker? Ex: MissingNo (Why else would I want Bird type)
3. In one of the pbs files I saw something about Shadow Moves. Is it possible to integrate that with normal Pokemon moves? If so, how?

I'd really, truly love appreciate it if you could answer. So, thank you in advance.
1. Yes. See the wiki.
2. Yes. See the wiki.
3. Shadow moves can be put into Essentials. I don't know what you mean by "integrate them with normal Pokémon moves", though. You mean replace them with regular moves upon purification? Well, I don't know. You can always try purifying something and see what happens.

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
1. Yes. See the wiki.
2. Yes. See the wiki.
3. Shadow moves can be put into Essentials. I don't know what you mean by "integrate them with normal Pokémon moves", though. You mean replace them with regular moves upon purification? Well, I don't know. You can always try purifying something and see what happens.

Alright, will do. Also, what I mean is. Is it possible to make the Pokemon learn Shadow Moves even when they aren't a shadow Pokemon?

Maruno

Years
Alright, will do. Also, what I mean is. Is it possible to make the Pokemon learn Shadow Moves even when they aren't a shadow Pokemon?
As far as I know, there's no reason they can't - they're defined as moves just like the others (same goes for the Shadow type). Then again, I know nothing about Shadow Pokémon, so I don't know if there's some weird extra factor going on that might prevent it. As I said before, a quick test should give you the answer.

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
As far as I know, there's no reason they can't - they're defined as moves just like the others (same goes for the Shadow type). Then again, I know nothing about Shadow Pokémon, so I don't know if there's some weird extra factor going on that might prevent it. As I said before, a quick test should give you the answer.

Alright. I'll be sure to check later. Also, one last question I just thought of (Thought of it because of reading the Adding Pokemon page on the Wiki). Is it possible to make a Pokemon evolve depending on the location where it is?

Edit: Also, I just now tried to put a new Pokemon in. I keep getting an error. I'll post the error and what I added if anyone has any input on why its messing up.

[494]
Name=MISSINGNO.
InternalName=MISSINGNO
Type1=FLYING
;Type1=GLITCH
BaseStats=33,136,0,32,6,6
Moves=1,WATERGUN,1,SKYATTACK,
GenderRate=Genderless
BaseEXP=125
EffortPoints=1,3,-3,1,2,2
Height=3.048
Weight=1590.839160064
Kind=Glitch
Pokedex=MissingNo. is infamous throughout Kanto for the ability to corrupt a trainers Hall of Fame data.
Color=Purple
Rareness=3
StepsToHatch=65536
Compatability=15,15
Abilities=Duplication,Hax
;Evolution=HIBAKTOL,location
Habitat=Rare

And heres the error:

Pokemon Essentials

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1586:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1569:in `each_line'

Compiler:1569:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1607:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2163:in `open'

Compiler:2163:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4034

C:\Users\Andrew\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

OK

Second Edit: As seen above, I want to add abilities. Is it possible? I checked the wiki, but it didnt seem to have a page.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back