• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Whoa! I wasn't expecting that much of a response to my question. To clarify, I was proposing a system that would work between RMXP games, not between RMXP and a ROM or a handheld. Good to know that it's possible, and it doesn't sound particularly difficult. Thanks for the pointers. :)

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Well, it would be cool if Alexandre did that, and if you could extract the codes of those files, they'd be in Hex format since it's from a ROM, hex is not beautiful. Pokémon Blue Chrome would be even greater if it could load pokémon files.

Also, who needs C? Java is better.
    RPG Maker XP can't load a .nds file because it's not an emulator.

EDIT: Sorry NikNaks, I thougt you meant to transfer from a ROM to your rpg xp game because you said something about your emerald.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Two more pages ago...

This is a repeat of a question I asked 7 pages ago.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

I disabled the use of the Pokémon fonts, because I want to use Arial instead. I also don't want to use all caps everywhere, so amongst other things, I edited the item names.

When looking in the Bag (and other places), I notice the above. Namely, that any item whose display name ends with a lower case "f" will have its name squashed horizontally.

This bug has been observed in the Debug "Add Pokémon" menu, the Bag (see picture) and in the Pokédex Summary screen. Each seems to use a different method of displaying the text, as far as I'm aware.

This bug does NOT appear in the Pokédex list (which uses yet another different text display method).

Any ideas why this bug is popping up, and how to fix it? It's driving me nuts.
    Having done a little bit of researching, I've discovered that the bug does not occur in the list in the Pokédex. The code here writes the name via "_ISPRINTF" into a string (called "text" here), and then that string is immediately displayed on the screen by "self.contents.draw_text".

However, the bug does occur in, for example, the Pokédex summary screen, where the pokémon's name is put into a variable via "_ISPRINTF" and "textpos.push" (where "textpos" is an array), and goes through "pbDrawTextPositions" before being displayed on the screen by "bitmap.draw_text[FONT=&quot][/FONT]".

As far as I can make out, the cause of the bug is the storing of a string into an array as opposed to a variable (that's my personal opinion, anyway). The question is, how to fix it?

I really need help with this, as this happens all over the place in the game. It seems to affect any string ending in a lower case "f" that is at some point stored in an array (typically seen in pokémon names, item names, move names, ability names, player's name, etc. etc.).

If the bug was more generalised, I would just assume it couldn't be done. However, the fact that it only affects strings ending with a lower case "f" is highly confusing. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Also, who needs C? Java is better.
    RPG Maker XP can't load a .nds file because it's not an emulator.
    I said C as I would have liked to have a look at the source code of PPSE to see how it interacts with the pokemon savs. And,again, dom't claim without proof, Wichu has developed an application that allows you to edit pokemon .nds roms. Emulating an .nds file can be done in RMXP, it just takes a talented coder.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Actually, RHXP edits .gba files, not .nds files. Just thought I'd clear that up :)

RGSS can load any type of file, using the File.new method; however, it won't know what to do with it unless you make a script for it. So it can load a ROM file, but not play it. It can read data from it and edit it, though; that's what I did in RHXP.

Alexandre, have you tried going to projectpokemon.org? Their wiki has a lot of information on save file and Pokemon structure. That's where I got my information from.

EDIT: By the way, are you planning to include the ability to load D/P/Pt saves in your game? I thought about that too, but I decided not to, for two reasons. Firstly, most people don't have the ability to dump their own save files, and it would therefore give an unfair advantage to those who can. Secondly, if you're going to have online play, then it gives players the ability to cheat; it's hard to edit the save file of a relatively unknown fangame, because nobody would really want to figure out how. But if you can import Pokemon from D/P/Pt, then anyone can just use Pokesav and hack themselves a powerful Pokemon. Not to mention that since it doesn't actually remove them from the D/P/Pt save file, any Pokemon transferred can be cloned as many times as you want.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Actually, RHXP edits .gba files, not .nds files. Just thought I'd clear that up :)

RGSS can load any type of file, using the File.new method; however, it won't know what to do with it unless you make a script for it. So it can load a ROM file, but not play it. It can read data from it and edit it, though; that's what I did in RHXP.

Alexandre, have you tried going to projectpokemon.org? Their wiki has a lot of information on save file and Pokemon structure. That's where I got my information from.

EDIT: By the way, are you planning to include the ability to load D/P/Pt saves in your game? I thought about that too, but I decided not to, for two reasons. Firstly, most people don't have the ability to dump their own save files, and it would therefore give an unfair advantage to those who can. Secondly, if you're going to have online play, then it gives players the ability to cheat; it's hard to edit the save file of a relatively unknown fangame, because nobody would really want to figure out how. But if you can import Pokemon from D/P/Pt, then anyone can just use Pokesav and hack themselves a powerful Pokemon. Not to mention that since it doesn't actually remove them from the D/P/Pt save file, any Pokemon transferred can be cloned as many times as you want.
    I was thinking just to do it for the scripting experience. Thanks for the link, didn't realize they had a wiki. And I thought about the pokesav hacking thing. If you think about it, people use AR anyway to hack themselves good pokemon on the real games, there is not much I can do to prevent it anyway.

Years
  • And I thought about the pokesav hacking thing. If you think about it, people use AR anyway to hack themselves good pokemon on the real games, there is not much I can do to prevent it anyway.
    That was what I thought when that issue cropped up originally. One of my friends suggested some simple blocks for obvious cheats (stats too high or wrong abilities) but I can't see a watertight solution. With every system, someone somewhere will want to cheat. :(

Fraot

Years
  • D/P/Pt save file, any Pokemon transferred can be cloned as many times as you want.

LOL, indeed, some of my friends did that, it's no good for real purposes. That's why it's better to only allow you to transfer pokémon from one RPGXP game to another.

@Alexandre:
    With "RPG Maker XP can't load a .nds file because it's not an emulator" I meant that you can't play either a Nds nor a Gba ROM, not simply load it. Of course, with the skills of Wichu or some other talented coders it would be possible.

Years
  • Hiya. I am needing to know how to change the colour and the shadow colour of certain text. The text i want changed is while in battle you either choose "Fight, Pokemon, Bag or Run" and then when you choose Fight i need all that text changed too. I have looked in the PokeBattle_ActualScene to see if i could find anything but i cannot. Maybe i am looking in the wrong place :D

Thanks in advanced anyway :D

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • hey peoples, been here before and I wanted to ask something...
    Whenever I try to start my game up, it says that LIGHT type is unverified or registered, (in other words, it is unknown) in PBTypes. Here's the error code:
    Spoiler:

This is my PBTypes script:
    Spoiler:

Please tell me what's wrong... am I missing a line or something??

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    HELP! i've searched everywhere on the internet and in these many threads and i can't figure out how to get my text box (as in the text displayed in events with "show text..." in them) to look like the text boxes in all pokemon games. when i say "like the pokemon games" i mean how their boxes are much smaller with different window graphics, and how when you press A (or the "action button") the text scrolls. know what i mean?? i cant think of any other way to explain it. if there is some code for this somewhere, or some settings in the database, i have no idea how to change it so if someone knows how to i would really appreciate it if you could explain!!! thank you!

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    HELP! i've searched everywhere on the internet and in these many threads and i can't figure out how to get my text box (as in the text displayed in events with "show text..." in them) to look like the text boxes in all pokemon games. when i say "like the pokemon games" i mean how their boxes are much smaller with different window graphics, and how when you press A (or the "action button") the text scrolls. know what i mean?? i cant think of any other way to explain it. if there is some code for this somewhere, or some settings in the database, i have no idea how to change it so if someone knows how to i would really appreciate it if you could explain!!! thank you!

Assuming you are in fact using Essentials already, the window look and screen size can be changed in options, and the press A part only happens when the text is long enough. Otherwise it should be fine.

If you are not using Essentials then you should download it and use that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2011
    You'll want to look in PokeBattle_ActualScene. That's the part of the scripts that dictates where everything is placed in the battle screens. It's also very messy.

A similar question was asked very recently in here, regarding moving pokémon sprites around in the battle screen (which I answered). Read that, and also know that you can change the coordinates for any of the pictures/sprites displayed by finding where it's generated in the script. Since the circles of grass are named "battlebase" (so I recall), searching for that phrase would be a good start. Wherever you come across something that looks like it's a set of coordinates for the battle bases, it's a good sign that you should probably change them a bit. And use my previous advice for moving pokémon sprites around the screen as well.

I won't answer that question any more thoroughly, because it would involve my doing some research (I haven't touched the battle screen yet in my project, so I'm not too familiar with it) and because you really should be looking to see if anyone else has been asking the same questions before.

As for showing pokémon icons (the little animated ones), it's perfectly possible. There's one part of the PokeBattle_ActualScene script that dictates how the battle boxes are laid out (where the health bar goes, where the name goes, etc. etc.), and you could easily add in a line of code to display the icon somewhere in there as well. If you don't know how, look up how it's done in the Pokémon Party screen and basically copy-paste.

Though I'm not sure why you'd want the icons, seeing as how the full sprite is right there, along with its name. Do you really need another identifier? :D
    I guess i dont, but i like the idea lol.
    I looked back into the thread. I think i see what you mean about the x, but I'm not sure how to access the pokemon.txt file, unless you mean the one in pbs. If thats the case I dont see anything like that in there. And one more thing, do you know how i can change the pokedex so the mesurements are different? be cuase it cant read " like in the official pokemon games. For height and weight

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    If you're trying to use the message system outside of Essentials, poccil posted it by itself on RMXP.org (search the scripts forum).

I'm not too sure on the problem with the Light type script; that error suggests you haven't added the LIGHT constant, yet looking at your script, you have... Let me know if fixing the table changes anything.

I doubt RGSS is fast enough to be able to emulate the GBA or DS by itself. It would be kinda possible, though; you could write the emulator in a different language, and then have it draw to the RGSS window. I don't think you'd be able to interact with it using RGSS easily if you did it that way, though.

And finally, you can still clone with just RMXP games, by copying the Game.rxdata file; that is, unless you can come up with an anti-cloning system ;)

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Can anyone help me. I am wondering how you would animate attacks with two parts (dive, fly, skull bash, razor wind) i know it has to be Move:XXX but how would i make it wait one turn before continuing?

Fraot

Years

Can anyone help me. I am wondering how you would animate attacks with two parts (dive, fly, skull bash, razor wind) i know it has to be Move:XXX but how would i make it wait one turn before continuing?

You can edit a class on PokeBattle_MoveEffects, you can add a animation when you use a move.
    This is an example:

Code:
    class PokeBattle_Move_32 < PokeBattle_Move
    def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
     if attacker.pbTooHigh?(PBStats::ATTACK)
      @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s Attack won't go higher!",attacker.pbThis))
      return -1
     else
      attacker.stages[PBStats::ATTACK]+=2
      attacker.stages[PBStats::ATTACK]=6 if attacker.stages[PBStats::ATTACK]>6
      @battle.pbAnimation(@id,attacker,nil)
        @battle.pbCommonAnimation("[COLOR=blue]StatUp[/COLOR]",attacker,nil) [COLOR=red]<--- This line!!!![/COLOR]
      @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s Attack sharply rose!",attacker.pbThis))
      return 0
     end
    end
    end
    The line with a red arrow is the one that indicates an animation to be performed. I'll investigate more because i have not enough knowledge on this kind of methods(to show animations).
    On your case, look at moves.txt on the PBS folder, then look for... i dunno, "Skull Bash", see what effect it has. The move effect is the hex number next to the display name: "SKULLBASH, SKULL BASH, 91, 100".
    It's effect is 91, look for it at the script i wrote about. And try to add a line like the one with the red arrow above. "StatUP" is the name of the animation.

Wichu can explain this better...

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
  • So... I was reading, and reading, and reading through this, and finally decided that it was hopeless without a search feature. And maybe I need to upgrade Essentials, as I haven't gotten to doing that yet - but I don't want to do that any more often than I have to, because it seems like quite a hassle.

So here's my problem. I don't understand how to make pbSetSelfSwitch work. It's not thoroughly documented in the notes - in fact, it's only mentioned once. I've figured out that you need to give the event, which of the event's self switches, and whether to turn it on or off. But I'm not sure how you'd do that.

At risk of looking like a noob, here's what I did have:

pbSetSelfSwitch($game_map.events[17],
    A,[ON])

So could someone please tell me how to make it work? Thanks.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • So... I was reading, and reading, and reading through this, and finally decided that it was hopeless without a search feature. And maybe I need to upgrade Essentials, as I haven't gotten to doing that yet - but I don't want to do that any more often than I have to, because it seems like quite a hassle.

So here's my problem. I don't understand how to make pbSetSelfSwitch work. It's not thoroughly documented in the notes - in fact, it's only mentioned once. I've figured out that you need to give the event, which of the event's self switches, and whether to turn it on or off. But I'm not sure how you'd do that.

At risk of looking like a noob, here's what I did have:

pbSetSelfSwitch($game_map.events[17],
    A,[ON])

So could someone please tell me how to make it work? Thanks.

That's quite simple. Use this:
    Code:
    pbSetSelfSwitch([B]X[/B],"A",true)
    Replace X with the evend ID number and the A in "" can be replaced by the other letters (B,C,D).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back