• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ki77y666

I'm with stupid ^
Years
  • When i start my game up i get this message: One or more fonts used in this game do not exist in the system. The game can be played, but the look of the games text will not be optimal. The game will now install the necessary fonts. The font "Power Green Narrow" could not be instaled. The font "Power Green Small" could not be instaled. The font "Power Red and Blue" could not be instaled. The font "Power Clear" could not be instaled. The font "Power Red and Green" could not be instaled.

How do i fix this?
    Thanks in advance.

Edit: Don't worry I fixed it.

Last edited:

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • I need a lot of help, guys. I want to learn how to make advanced scripting for pokestarter... I'm making a little feature for my game.. so I'm scared to announce it.. I don't think anyone has done this before. This is what I've done with the help of my scripter so far:
    Code:
    class DualScreen_Scene < SpriteWindow_Selectable
    def initialize
    super(480, 320, 480, 320)
    self.contents = Bitmap.new(width - 32, height - 32)# this shows we want to show a new bitmap
    [URL="https://self.contents.font.name/"]self.contents.font.name[/URL] = $fontface#defines the font
    self.contents.font.size = $fontsize#defines the font size
    self.contents.font.color = normal_color# defines the font colour
    refresh
    end #method
    def refresh#defines refresh
    self.contents.draw_text(4,4,120,32,"Look! Text")#this draws the text(x, y, width, height
    for i in 0...$game_party.actors.size#shows the actors sprite within the window
    x = i * 32 + 4#deinfes size and X co-ordinates
    y = 32#defines Y co-ordinates
    class Battle_SystemLesson
      def ram
      @ram = attack
        if @ ram  
        calc. battle damage
        if defense<offense
        def battle damage
        @battle damage = difference.offense.defense
      end
    end
    class battle_systemlesson
      def wingshield
        @wingshield = defense
        if @ wingshield
          calc. battle damage
          if defense offense
            def batlle damage
              battle damage=difference.offense.defense
            end
          end
        end
      end
    end
    #this is an example of a global variable
    #These can be called anywhere in the editor at anytime
    begin
    def hello
    @hello = "hello"
    if input.trigger != INPUT:
    'p' "hello"
    if  else
    end
    @hello = $hello
    end
    end
    end

Please seek out errors for me. What I really need is a page for instructions and help on scripting for pokestarter, especially battle systems!! When I tried to run the game with this script, it said the battle_systemlesson was a syntax error. SO i guess that's not a valid command! *whump* My scripter also said that after implementing the battle system I would need to work with an AI. Please help me out! Sorry to be a noobish sounding person!

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Hey you! your problem is: you're not an admin on your PC. You must be an admin in order to install those fonts, otherwise... well, you wont be able to do it. But they're just fonts.

Uhhmmm, I already noticed your "I fixed it", well, ignore this if you want.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I need a lot of help, guys. I want to learn how to make advanced scripting for pokestarter... I'm making a little feature for my game.. so I'm scared to announce it.. I don't think anyone has done this before. This is what I've done with the help of my scripter so far:
    Code:
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]class DualScreen_Scene < SpriteWindow_Selectable[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]def initialize
    super(480, 320, 480, 320)
    self.contents = Bitmap.new(width - 32, height - 32)# this shows we want to show a new bitmap
    [URL="https://self.contents.font.name/"]self.contents.font.name[/URL] = $fontface#defines the font
    self.contents.font.size = $fontsize#defines the font size
    self.contents.font.color = normal_color# defines the font colour
    refresh
    end #method[/COLOR] 

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]def refresh#defines refresh
    self.contents.draw_text(4,4,120,32,"Look! Text")#this draws the text(x, y, width, height
    y = 32#defines Y co-ordinates[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]class Battle_SystemLesson[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue] def ram
      @ram = attack
        if @ ram  
        calc. battle damage
        if defense<offense
        def battle damage
        @battle damage = difference.offense.defense
      end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]class battle_systemlesson[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]  def wingshield
        @wingshield = defense
        if @ wingshield
          calc. battle damage
          if defense offense
            def batlle damage
              battle damage=difference.offense.defense
            end
          end
        end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]  end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]end[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Red]#this is an example of a global variable
    #These can be called anywhere in the editor at anytime
    begin
    def hello
    @hello = "hello"
    if input.trigger != INPUT:
    'p' "hello"
    if  else
    end
    @hello = $hello
    end
    end
    end[/COLOR]
    Please seek out errors for me. What I really need is a page for instructions and help on scripting for pokestarter, especially battle systems!! When I tried to run the game with this script, it said the battle_systemlesson was a syntax error. SO i guess that's not a valid command! *whump* My scripter also said that after implementing the battle system I would need to work with an AI. Please help me out! Sorry to be a noobish sounding person!
    I've helpfully spaced out your code and coloured it in, so we can all see more clearly what you've been writing. Blue are individual defs, orange are class startings/endings, and the red at the end is just weird stuff that I don't know what's going on with it.

Your syntax error is being caused by a missing "end" at the end of the first class (just before Battle_SystemLesson with capitals is started). Because it's missing, the first class is never closed, and it doesn't recognise any new classes you want to add in after it.

In scripting, it's always a really good idea to lay the code out so you can easily see what's going on. That's why lines inside "if...else" statements are indented (as you've done) - they would technically work just as well if they weren't, but the code wouldn't be as easy to read.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Also, RGSS class and variable names are case-sensitive, and all class names must start with a capital letter. So I'm guessing this line:
    Code:
    should be:
    Code:

StormRuler

Kung foo fighter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    Hi. I'm using Pocci's starter kit.
    Whenever i make a trainer battle with my own trainer type i made and start the battle this error occurs.
    It says something about a cinstant variable not being initialized.

I'm not that good at scripting so I'm not sure what it's about.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • I've helpfully spaced out your code and coloured it in, so we can all see more clearly what you've been writing. Blue are individual defs, orange are class startings/endings, and the red at the end is just weird stuff that I don't know what's going on with it.

Your syntax error is being caused by a missing "end" at the end of the first class (just before Battle_SystemLesson with capitals is started). Because it's missing, the first class is never closed, and it doesn't recognise any new classes you want to add in after it.

In scripting, it's always a really good idea to lay the code out so you can easily see what's going on. That's why lines inside "if...else" statements are indented (as you've done) - they would technically work just as well if they weren't, but the code wouldn't be as easy to read.

Ah! Thank you so much Maruno. You're so much help!
    The last thingies were to teach me stuff. I never really understood, though.

Also, RGSS class and variable names are case-sensitive, and all class names must start with a capital letter. So I'm guessing this line:
    Code:
    should be:
    Code:

I had a feeling that was it. I wish it wasn't case sensitive. Though I'm sure there's a great reason for it! Ok! If anyone knows anything about a guide for scripting, please tell me! I'll probably be back soon for more help! XD

erg, it still says syntax error. The line is now 21 - i bumped it up a little to save a little space. I guess Battle_SystemLesson isn't really a class. :/ My scripter taught me wrong! <_< Oh well.

We were using Battle_SystemLesson to define a attack and defense move in a special feature/contest for the game. I really need help with battle sytems! >_<"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    You still have missing 'end's in your script. In between
    Code:
    and
    Code:
    there should be 3 'end's. You've also duplicated these lines:
    Code:

However, looking through your code a bit more thoroughly, it seems your problem is that you don't actually know RGSS :\
    For example, your variable names have got spaces in, you're referring to nonexistent variables, you're trying to define methods within methods (you're probably not trying to do that, but that's what the interpreter's going to think)... Have you had a look through some tutorials? You should learn the basics of scripting and how the Essentials battle system works before jumping straight in...

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Hey guys! I don't know exactly if this question goes here but since is about RMXP and the essentials kit, I think I'm not wrong.

Well, my question is:
    Is there a way to play musics like on Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie? If some of you have played those games, then, you already know what am I talking about, if not... well, I'll explain.

Lets say you composed two(or more) midis, but those have different instruments(same tempo, same notes and keys), in other words the same midi but with different instruments. This would be for changing the music style depending on the map you are. And for example: You're walking on Route 1 and the Route 1 music is played with a happy style, but when you reach Viridian City, the music changes to urban style but its still the same music as Route 1; so, the music changes but without starting from the beginning again.

Ahem! My english is not so good, so I can't explain this better, but in addition, I want to play the musics of my maps like on Banjo-Kazooie. Did you get me?

Years
  • I've figured out most of the questions I posted earlier with help from other people. There are only a few questions left. Which are;
    1.) How do I edit the Radio/Ipod so that only music I want to appear on there does so. I don't want all the music in the game to appear there.
    2.) How do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over the entire world map? Also how do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over pre-selected maps?
    3.) How do I set up a legendary battle? The type where the legendary appears as an overworld sprite, the players walks up and taps "A" to begin the battle.
    4.) Anyone know the script to set up contests? Functionable contests that is...
    5.) I have noticed that all the new Pokemon are present in the game, but I've also noticed the new evolutions aren't entered in the PBSPokemon files. Should I enter these evolutions in manually myself, or are they entered already?

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    1.) How do I edit the Radio/Ipod so that only music I want to appear on there does so. I don't want all the music in the game to appear there. Its in the PBS folder i believe
    2.) How do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over the entire world map? Also how do I set a Pokemon to roam randomly over pre-selected maps? Read the notes
    3.) How do I set up a legendary battle? The type where the legendary appears as an overworld sprite, the players walks up and taps "A" to begin the battle. Just like you would put an NPC on the map but make it a pokemon OW Sprite and start a trainer battle...
    4.) Anyone know the script to set up contests? Functionable contests that is... I dunno
    5.) I have noticed that all the new Pokemon are present in the game, but I've also noticed the new evolutions aren't entered in the PBSPokemon files. Should I enter these evolutions in manually myself, or are they entered already? They should be entered if not you have to enter them yourself if you want the pokemon to evolve

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • You still have missing 'end's in your script. In between
    Code:
    and
    Code:
    there should be 3 'end's. You've also duplicated these lines:
    Code:
    However, looking through your code a bit more thoroughly, it seems your problem is that you don't actually know RGSS :\
    For example, your variable names have got spaces in, you're referring to nonexistent variables, you're trying to define methods within methods (you're probably not trying to do that, but that's what the interpreter's going to think)... Have you had a look through some tutorials? You should learn the basics of scripting and how the Essentials battle system works before jumping straight in...

yeah.. I said I didn't know how to script and I was looking for some help.. I'd need a basic page <---- stupid..

XD

yeah, I need the basics. Sorry to be an idiot. <_<'
    But rememeber I didn't write this myself, so I had no idea what was going on. He was trying to tell me what this stuff meant, but like many first times... I didn't get it much. Please give me a link to basics or something. Especially one that works for RGSS. I've searched, but I just don't get it... I guess i'm just not an RGSS person. :/

Years
  • Thank you Shikamaru. I've checked the notes for the roaming Pokemon by the way. I couldn't find it are you sure it's there? Also setting up a Pokemon OW Event...If I did it that way wouldn't it be uncatchable? I also wanted to know how to set it so Pokemon wouldn't stop growing at level 100. I want my new max level to be 999. Of course no player will ever train one to that level, but it ensures they can always level up so my game doesn't get boring even after you beat the Elite Four. Thanks agian Shikamaru.

~Sage Raziel

NOTE: I checked the PBS Folder for the Ipod/Radio editor...I didn't see it so either I don't have it, or it's not in the correct place.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched the thread, and Google, and found nothing.

When I try to open my Pokedex, I get this error:

Code:
    Exception: NameError
    Message: undefined local variable or method `center' for #<Window_Pokedex:0x9cd1538>
    PokemonPokedex:62:in `refresh'
    PokemonPokedex:45:in `each'
    PokemonPokedex:45:in `refresh'
    PokemonPokedex:21:in `commands='
    PokemonPokedex:412:in `pbRefreshDexList'
    PokemonPokedex:295:in `pbStartScene'
    PokemonPokedex:873:in `pbStartScreen'
    PokemonMenu:145:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PokemonMenu:142:in `pbFadeOutIn'
    PokemonMenu:142:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    Then the game crashes. I did add one custom Pokemon to the game, and I'm pretty sure I imported it correctly when I applied the October 22 2009 update. But the error never appeared before I installed the update...

StormRuler

Kung foo fighter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    Sorry im posting again, but my last question wasn't answered.
    Hi. I'm using Pocci's starter kit.
    Whenever i make a trainer battle with my own trainer type i made and start the battle this error occurs.
    It says something about a cinstant variable not being initialized.

I'm not that good at scripting so I'm not sure what it's about.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thank you Shikamaru. I've checked the notes for the roaming Pokemon by the way. I couldn't find it are you sure it's there? Also setting up a Pokemon OW Event...If I did it that way wouldn't it be uncatchable? I also wanted to know how to set it so Pokemon wouldn't stop growing at level 100. I want my new max level to be 999. Of course no player will ever train one to that level, but it ensures they can always level up so my game doesn't get boring even after you beat the Elite Four. Thanks agian Shikamaru.

~Sage Raziel

NOTE: I checked the PBS Folder for the Ipod/Radio editor...I didn't see it so either I don't have it, or it's not in the correct place.
    There are also notes in the scripts themselves. See PokemonRoaming, and right at the top are some comments for how you define both the switch to activate/deactivate the roamer and the way the roamers move around (each map leads to one or more other maps). This question has been answered several times previously, so thanks for bothering to search through the thread and not waste our time.

There is a script that spawns a wild pokémon encounter. Create an event with the pokémon's overworld sprite, put that script in it (with an optional "RAAR!" message beforehand) and it'll be fine.

You can make the level limit be whatever you want. Look in PBExperience, line 67. But recall how long it takes to get from level 99 to level 100 (it only gets longer from then on, too), and bear in mind that unless your game is infinitely long and interesting throughout, people won't play long enough to realise you've changed the level limit. Unless you do something drastically different to levelling up.

Sorry im posting again, but my last question wasn't answered.
    Looks like you haven't defined "RIVAL" as a trainer type.

Years
  • Thanks Maruno. btw My game include Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and two custom regions. Which is why I wanted to increase the max level. I understand that it gets harder to level up, which is why the level curve of enemy trainers also slows. Now when you say PB it's not the PBS folder apparently, cause there is no folder for it. I'm assuming I open RPG Maker and go to the script section...But thank you for your help. Sorry about asking a question that's been answered. I attempted to search the thread but I guess I missed it somewhere. Sorry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back