• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    I'm trying to do three things:
    1. Mom runs up to wake main character (complete)
    2. Mom takes player downstairs and professor's assistant leaves with player (complete)
    3. Professor's assistant and player walk to Professor's Lab (complete)

The problem I'm having now is that when the player gets to the lab and then walks out, he automatically follows the move route I set for when he follows the assistant to the lab and the screen freezes. What can I do to fix this?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'm trying to do three things:
    1. Mom runs up to wake main character (complete)
    2. Mom takes player downstairs and professor's assistant leaves with player (complete)
    3. Professor's assistant and player walk to Professor's Lab (complete)

The problem I'm having now is that when the player gets to the lab and then walks out, he automatically follows the move route I set for when he follows the assistant to the lab and the screen freezes. What can I do to fix this?
    I'm guessing the problem here is that, in the village map, you have an autorun event that makes the player walk from his house to the Lab and enter it. I'm also guessing that you haven't switched that autorun event off afterwards, which is why it runs again when you re-enter the map. Turn off the autorun event once you're inside the Lab, and it should be fine.

On a creative note, it doesn't sound like the player can do much themselves here - everything's scripted for them.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • I've made a new menu for my game and in it's script, I had naturally to use the function "@spriteset = Spriteset_Map.new" so the map appear as background, however, when I open the menu next to a connection, the neighbour map appear totally black. Does anyone know how to solve that =x?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I've changed the main charector sprite and now when I get the running shoes I still can't run. Help?
    There's no sensible reason for this to happen. Can you not run at all (i.e. move faster), or have you just pasted a set of new walking sprites over the old running sprites (i.e. it looks like you're walking faster)?

More details would help, such as exactly what you did to change things.

======================================================================================================

Problem: In battle, the player's pokémon bobs up and down by a pixel or two. If you use a move when the pokémon is "down", that "down" position becomes the new "up" for the next round. In a long enough battle, and timing the clicks just right, you can make your pokémon sink off the bottom of the screen.

I'm using the 3rd Feb 2009 version of Essentials, so I don't know if this problem has since been fixed, or whether it's just that no one's noticed it.

What's the solution for this?

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    I'm guessing the problem here is that, in the village map, you have an autorun event that makes the player walk from his house to the Lab and enter it. I'm also guessing that you haven't switched that autorun event off afterwards, which is why it runs again when you re-enter the map. Turn off the autorun event once you're inside the Lab, and it should be fine.

On a creative note, it doesn't sound like the player can do much themselves here - everything's scripted for them.

How would I go about switching it off based on what I have so far:

Name: Event08
    Auto-Run

Page1:
    Set move route stuff
    Wait for move's completion
    Transfer player
    Control Switch: A = On

Page2:
    Self Switch A is ON
    Action Button
    Graphic: Blank

Also, how can I make it look as if an NPC picked an item up? Would I set the NPC event to Event Touch and then set the necessary move route?

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    Quick Pokedex question:

I made my own Pokedex background, but where I've positioned a couple of the boxes, the position isn't quite right, so...

How do you move the Pokemon sprite left/right/up/down on the Pokedex? Whoever helps is much appreciated :)

Nekomata

Neko
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2013
    I know this is a probably very dumb question, but I can't seem to figure out how to make maps or put events together. Is there some sort of tutorial on how to work this program?

Thanks for any help I get.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    There's no such thing as a dumb question especially when you're learning something.

To connect maps:

-F9
    -Visual Editor
    -Press A to add map and list of maps you created will show.

Nekomata

Neko
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2013
    There's no such thing as a dumb question especially when you're learning something.

To connect maps:

-F9
    -Visual Editor
    -Press A to add map and list of maps you created will show.

That's true I suppose.

... but how do I make my own maps or edit them? I can't seem to figure any of this out.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • There's no sensible reason for this to happen. Can you not run at all (i.e. move faster), or have you just pasted a set of new walking sprites over the old running sprites (i.e. it looks like you're walking faster)?

More details would help, such as exactly what you did to change things.
    Well I changed the players starting position to another map, changed the players sprite and moved the person who gives you the running shoes to the new map, that's all.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Well I changed the players starting position to another map, changed the players sprite and moved the person who gives you the running shoes to the new map, that's all.
    Have you set this new map to allow running? Running is not allowed on inside maps, which I think is what new maps default to.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Um, I downloaded the most recent pokestarter.zip file, and I can't playtest my game! I keep getting an error that file PBS/Types. Um, where can I find it so I can playtest my game???

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Um, I downloaded the most recent pokestarter.zip file, and I can't playtest my game! I keep getting an error that file PBS/Types. Um, where can I find it so I can playtest my game???

im also havine trouble with the newest download... first there is a move route event in the intro which shouldn't be there and when i extract it tried to overite my PBS with another one.. 3rd but not least when i get through the intro the player is transfered to the correct map but its all black... im currently looking into how to correct this problem but i doubt i'll figure it out cause i dont have anyclue what he changed from the last version, i also notice the please dont forget to give credit if used was changed to You should give credit if used... it seems some1 feels they arent getting proper credit :) lol

Also when i try to play the demo itsself after intro it transfers me to a blank screen if you keep pressing the enter key you eventually save n then get an error the script is hanging and the game closes...

Last edited:

Shikamaru88

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    How would I go about switching it off based on what I have so far:

Name: Event08
    Auto-Run

Page1:
    Set move route stuff
    Wait for move's completion
    Transfer player
    Control Switch: A = On

Page2:
    Self Switch A is ON
    Action Button
    Graphic: Blank

You pretty much got it jusgt change the second page to autorun and its done...

I'd like to mention im still having problems with the new kit... i found an older version of the kit online so im usint that... i've had to update it alot and i'd like to keep using it but i am getting an error and i've tried to fix this error for over two hours... i changed the RGSS scripts changed the PBS files ect... here's a screenie of the error any1 have ideas?
    [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

People please help if you can...

Last edited:

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • So, any clue about how to start the game directly on a map and after an intro sequence is done go to the title screen? I need that in order to make a cooler intro sequence, it's really hard trying to animate by scripting.

Ki77y666

I'm with stupid ^
    Years
  • i get this message when i test my game after using the pokemon follow tut can some one pleaz help

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

Section126:445:in `addEvent2'undefined method `x' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
    PBSpecies::PIKACHU,5
    )
    # Get the Pokémon just added
    p=$Trainer.party[
    $Trainer.party.length-1]
    pbAutoLearnMove(p,PBMoves::TACKLE)
    auto_change_without_animation

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

DependentEvents:15:in `pbAddDependen'

Pokemon folow you:160:in `auto_change_without_animation'

(eval):8:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `eval'

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'

Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'

Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

MykehDoom

Team Magma's Entei
    Years
    • Age 35
    • GA
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    I just downloaded Pokeessentials for December 12. And I must say.. Alot of it doesnt work.. When you just play test the demo, theres an annoying thud sound over and over at the intro. And I fixed that on my own. Then when you actually do get to play, the maps all black with charsets on it. When it goes to start a battle it doesn't work. So many problems. Anyone have a better version of it?

Shikamaru88

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    I just downloaded Pokeessentials for December 12. And I must say.. Alot of it doesnt work.. When you just play test the demo, theres an annoying thud sound over and over at the intro. And I fixed that on my own. Then when you actually do get to play, the maps all black with charsets on it. When it goes to start a battle it doesn't work. So many problems. Anyone have a better version of it?

Those are the problems i've been having... I respect all the hard work poccil has done but these problems seem like they are i dunno intentional... i hate to sy it but its just too big of a mess how do you release something like that... and i also noticed the credit text was changed to You better give credit attitude

So, any clue about how to start the game directly on a map and after an intro sequence is done go to the title screen? I need that in order to make a cooler intro sequence, it's really hard trying to animate by scripting.

I Wouldnt advise doing this unless you know excatly wut your doing... and since your asking its obvious you dont..

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back