• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragma

Trainee
Years
  • Thanks a lot. That really helped.

Oh, one more question if you don't mind. I'm trying to create a transfer from the outside of the lab to the inside by creating a simple event. I used the same coding for any other door, but this one seems to be different.

I keep getting this error message, and I'm not sure why:

Interpreter:509:in `command_end'
    Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:191:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:196:in `update'
    Scene_Map:96:in `update'
    Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:107:in `update'
    Scene_Map:63:in `main'
    Scene_Map:60:in `loop'
    Exception: NoMethodError

Thanks again for your helpful tips! :)

EDIT:
    This only happens when the player attempts to enter the Lab. Exiting is no problem (Debugged), but I'm hung up on why this transition seems to be erroneous.

Last edited:

Legendaries

Ginzuishou/Heavy-Metal-Lover
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    I have a strange problem. When I use any Pokeball trying to capture Pokemon nothing happens. There's a text "Player used Master Ball", but nothing else. No animation of throwing the ball, wild pokemon is not captured or something and used ball is lost.

It was eveything ok before. I've changed something by accident it seems, but I don't really know what. :/

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have a strange problem. When I use any Pokeball trying to capture Pokemon nothing happens. There's a text "Player used Master Ball", but nothing else. No animation of throwing the ball, wild pokemon is not captured or something and used ball is lost.

It was eveything ok before. I've changed something by accident it seems, but I don't really know what. :/
    PokeBattle_Battle has the basic battle system in it. pbRegisterItem is the def that decides to throw a Poké Ball if you've chosen to use one, so check that. If that looks fine, check around it (e.g. pbThrowPokeBall, pbCommandPhase) to see if anything there looks wrong. Assuming you can still continue the battle after failing to use a Ball (e.g. you can conduct a battle/switch Pokémon), the problem should be somewhere in that area.

Worst comes to worst, open a clean copy of Essentials and copy-paste the entire PokeBattle_Battle script.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • On one of my maps I walk through everything, except if I've set layer 3 parts to not walk through. I created a new map and uploaded a different tile set and this still happens! Help!
    Also, when I start a new game it constantly makes the colliding with object noise during the intro...

Legendaries

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    PokeBattle_Battle has the basic battle system in it. pbRegisterItem is the def that decides to throw a Poké Ball if you've chosen to use one, so check that. If that looks fine, check around it (e.g. pbThrowPokeBall, pbCommandPhase) to see if anything there looks wrong. Assuming you can still continue the battle after failing to use a Ball (e.g. you can conduct a battle/switch Pokémon), the problem should be somewhere in that area.

Worst comes to worst, open a clean copy of Essentials and copy-paste the entire PokeBattle_Battle script.

Maruno, you are great! It works :D Now I know what was wrong. I was using D/P/Pt PokeBalls, then I removed them from PBS/items.txt, but I forgot to remove them from PokeBattle_Battle.

Now it works :D Thank you.

Also, thanks for helping me with battle position, it works fine too :)

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • So I am trying to figure out how to get the message box to fit in to the little mini screen. But I am having trouble. I can't seem to find the right line of code to edit. Here is a screenshot to show what I am trying to do I guess.

*Not sure if this belonged in the Help and Requests or here...

FROM

TO

Last edited:

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • I just found a strange glitch.

Basically, when battling a wild Pokemon, the wild pokemon's sprite placement is fine.
    However, when I fight the same Pokemon in a Trainer Battle, the sprite is placed lower than it should be. I can post a screenshot if you need one, but what I just wrote was pretty understandable, no?

This problem is really starting to annoy me now. :(

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I just found a strange glitch.

Basically, when battling a wild Pokemon, the wild pokemon's sprite placement is fine.
    However, when I fight the same Pokemon in a Trainer Battle, the sprite is placed lower than it should be. I can post a screenshot if you need one, but what I just wrote was pretty understandable, no?

This problem is really starting to annoy me now. :(
    It's not a glitch; that's how it's programmed.

Wild Pokémon glide in from the left, standing on the battle base. Trainer Pokémon get thrown out into the air from a Poké Ball and then drop down to the ground. It's because these two appearance methods are different that battles against wild foes and trainer-owned foes are handled differently (at least in this respect).

Go into PokeBattle_ActualScene and search for the term "metrics". This is the name the code gives to those three y-positioning factors you can set in pokemon.txt (BattlerPlayerY, BattlerEnemyY and BattlerAltitude). "metrics" will show up in several places, but it'd not difficult to find out what each place does. When you've found the two sections of code that determine the coordinates for both the wild foe and trainer-owned foe, all you need to do is make sure they look the same (at least as far as the y-position goes).

I'm missing out a lot of detail here. The sprite positioning is a rather complex affair.

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • Thanks, Maruno. I found it. :)

Just for those who are also annoyed by this:

Go into PokeBattle_ActualScene and go to Line 738 and replace that with this:

@endspritey=factor*0.95+halfY # from center

0.95 is the number needed to make trainer Pokemon have the same Y as Wild Pokemon. :)

Enjoy!

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • On one of my maps I walk through everything, except if I've set layer 3 parts to not walk through. I created a new map and uploaded a different tile set and this still happens! Help!
    Also, when I start a new game it constantly makes the colliding with object noise during the intro...
    Still need help with this.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • For your first problem, have you made sure that Always on Top isn't on or some other event? That sounds like what it might be. Um, maybe you should post a picture of your introduction, in case you made the error somewhere in there.

Legendaries

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    Just a simple question:
    When the regional numbers of each Pokemon are set, how do I make the player receives Regional Pokedex, not the National one?

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Hi
    I think this is a known glitch but I don't know how to solve it :
    in my version of the starter kit, the pokemon sprites from my side are moving up and down a little (that's ok), but after a while they drift up and they end up being so high that there is a gap with nothing under the pokemon sprite... anyone knows why ?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Just a simple question:
    When the regional numbers of each Pokemon are set, how do I make the player receives Regional Pokedex, not the National one?
    In PokemonPokedex, there's a def called pbGetPokedexRegion. This returns the region number (default is whatever region you're standing in). To start off with the Regional Dex, you can change this def to "return 1 if $game_switches[42]", where switch 42 is turned on as long as you want to look at the Regional Dex (i.e. for the first half of the game). Just turn it on when you receive the Pokédex, and turn it off once you get the National Dex.

You can make a way to freely alternate between the two, but I won't get into that again. I've talked about it recently.

Hi
    I think this is a known glitch but I don't know how to solve it :
    in my version of the starter kit, the pokemon sprites from my side are moving up and down a little (that's ok), but after a while they drift up and they end up being so high that there is a gap with nothing under the pokemon sprite... anyone knows why ?
    You're talking about the back sprites in battle, I presume. It helps to include that kind of information.

I discovered that glitch a while ago, except in my case they were sinking. My version of Essentials is a year old now, so I don't know what the most recent version looks like (i.e. whether an attempt to fix this has been made).

To solve this, fiddle with def update in class PokemonSprite < RPG::Sprite in PokeBattle_ActualScene. I found that adding in an extra "elsif @selected==1" clause as the second clause, the contents of which are identical to the first except it sets the y coordinate to a set number rather than "@spriteY-2" (or whatever), it's fixed.

Dragma

Trainee
    Years
  • Does anyone know what causes the "hanging script" error? I've searched around, and I can't seem to find an answer...

Last edited:

Legendaries

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    I have an error like that while choosing "Switches" in F9 Debug menu:
    Code:
    ---------------------------
    Pokémon Saturn Version
    Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonDebug:1135:in `refresh'

PokemonDebug:1121:in `each'

PokemonDebug:1121:in `refresh'

SpriteWindow:2809:in `priv_update_cursor_rect'

SpriteWindow:2671:in `index='

PokemonDebug:1094:in `initialize'

PokemonDebug:1188:in `new'

PokemonDebug:1188:in `pbDebugScreen'

PokemonDebug:871:in `pbDebugMenu'

PokemonDebug:871:in `pbFadeOutIn'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK   

And the other problem:
    When I try to change player graphic via "set move route -> event:player -> change graphic" the graphic doesn't change or if it changes it's restored to the default one while using any teleport.

EDIT:
    Problem solved.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Legendaries said:
    When I try to change player graphic via "set move route -> event:player -> change graphic" the graphic doesn't change or if it changes it's restored to the default one while using any teleport.

The change graphic command doesnt work because poccil took it out when he wrote the scripts.

I have a small problem too, i need to be able to use the $Trainer class or method or whatever in Scene_Map but it gives me an error about an undefined method. Is there any way i can use this? Mainly for $Trainer.party.length

Thanks in advance.

Dragma

Trainee
    Years
  • So, I have a tough question here.

I'm making a new HM called Lava that allows the player to "surf" across lava. So I edited the game's script (even though I have no experience with ruby). I replaced Flash with Lava (using Surf's syntax), and it seemed to work.
    However, I can only "surf" on the lava. When I try to surf on water, Lava is used instead.

How can I edit the script to allow surfing on water and "surfing" on lava?

EDIT:
    In the script, Surf is still there. However, the game seems to only be interpreting Lava's commands. Maybe there's a way I can define a terrain tag? Help please!

Years
  • EDIT: Actually, try replacing your whole PokemonHiddenMoves script with this:

Spoiler:

Again, not tested so im not sure if it'll work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back