• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    How do I do like a lights feature? I forgot who and right now I can't look it up (because I'm typing my post - and my computer is ancient and slow XD).

I want to make it so buildings, gyms, pokemon centers, light up at night so I could do a possibly more realistic night-time effect.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    How do I do like a lights feature? I forgot who and right now I can't look it up (because I'm typing my post - and my computer is ancient and slow XD).

I want to make it so buildings, gyms, pokemon centers, light up at night so I could do a possibly more realistic night-time effect.
    There's two methods: Name an event "Light" for constant tone, or "OutdoorLight" to make it change intensity based on the time of day.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2014
    It would help if you specified when the error occurs. Is it when you load the game? Or when you trigger a particular event? Also, some versions of the starter kit had bugs and wouldn't work (they've probably been fixed by now, but you may have downloaded the kit at a bad time). Try downloading the latest kit, it will probably fix it.

It's when I load the game for test playing [I recently put the scripts into my game, might have something to do with it I'm guessing?] And its the newest version [from 4/12].

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    It's when I load the game for test playing [I recently put the scripts into my game, might have something to do with it I'm guessing?] And its the newest version [from 4/12].
    In that case it is definitely the script you inserted. Is it a whole new script section, or did you add something to an existing script? If it's a new script section, then make sure it is above the main (the very last script section). Also, see if you made any syntax errors, like forgetting the "end" on an if statement (I do this constantly). If you can't find the problem in the script, then remove it (if you modified existing scripts, you'll want a fresh copy of the starter kit, which always a good idea to have, and replace the edited script section with the corresponding one in the unedited kit).

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
    nobody has any idea how to make the daycare work with more than two pokemon? no breeding or anything, just the exp gain.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    nobody has any idea how to make the daycare work with more than two pokemon? no breeding or anything, just the exp gain.
    Sorry, I was starting to mess with it and forgot. I'll get back to it tomorrow if I remember (it's like 9:15 here).

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2014
    In that case it is definitely the script you inserted. Is it a whole new script section, or did you add something to an existing script? If it's a new script section, then make sure it is above the main (the very last script section). Also, see if you made any syntax errors, like forgetting the "end" on an if statement (I do this constantly). If you can't find the problem in the script, then remove it (if you modified existing scripts, you'll want a fresh copy of the starter kit, which always a good idea to have, and replace the edited script section with the corresponding one in the unedited kit).

well the playtest works now. but as i was thinking "i should make a backup" i accidentally replaced all of MY files in the "Data" folder with the Essentials one...and now i just have essentials...instead of my 3-4 weeks and most likely at least 50 hours of work...and im guessing theres no way to undo that is there...

so basically the playtest works because its pokemon essentials now, not my game. this may be one of the most disheartening fails to happen to me in a while...

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    well the playtest works now. but as i was thinking "i should make a backup" i accidentally replaced all of MY files in the "Data" folder with the Essentials one...and now i just have essentials...instead of my 3-4 weeks and most likely at least 50 hours of work...and im guessing theres no way to undo that is there...

so basically the playtest works because its pokemon essentials now, not my game. this may be one of the most disheartening fails to happen to me in a while...
    It's too bad you lost it all. I think each of us who makes a game has this happen at some point or another, so it's better sooner than later. Backing up is a good idea, but there are different ways to go about it. I simply keep an unedited starter kit so that I can replace codes in case I mess something up, and I also comment out anything that I change, so that I can easily change it back (comment out simply means to put the # in front of a line, so that you don't have to delete it while still keeping it from functioning).

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2014
    It's too bad you lost it all. I think each of us who makes a game has this happen at some point or another, so it's better sooner than later. Backing up is a good idea, but there are different ways to go about it. I simply keep an unedited starter kit so that I can replace codes in case I mess something up, and I also comment out anything that I change, so that I can easily change it back (comment out simply means to put the # in front of a line, so that you don't have to delete it while still keeping it from functioning).

yeah i was moving data files, which i had done a few days ago without a hitch, but i accidentally replaced all MY important ones instead of just placing missing ones. fail on my part, learning experience to both make a back up and replace only whats missing lol

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    So, has anyone found a fix to the fill boxes error in the latest essentials release?
    The error seems to come from an un-updated section of code that's throwing an unintialized constant error. I found it last night it seems like an easy enough fix. However, I am not currently at my home computer (at school right now). So, I'll find a fix when I get home. Maybe somebody else will figure it out in the mean time.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    Does anyone have a solution for that annoying Event sprite "jiggle" that occurs when you resize the screen? If you're not sure what I'm talking about, resize the screen to the smallest size and walk around a bit. You see events start jiggling all over the place, and its really irritating xD

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    How do I change the background of evolution?

How to change the way to evolve?
    Have you read the notes? They are very helpful with things like that. For the evolution background, you should be able to just add a picture to the Graphic/Pictures directory and call it evobg.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    The light events, however, all function simultaneously to each other and other events being processed, so too many of them can cause severe lag.

Do you mean the "light" and "outdoorligh" named events, or something else? Because I'm pretty sure they are NOT processed simultaneously

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Have you read the notes? They are very helpful with things like that. For the evolution background, you should be able to just add a picture to the Graphic/Pictures directory and call it evobg.
    Who needs the notes when we've got the wiki? Okay, it doesn't (yet) describe the evolution animation, but it's got all you need to know about the methods.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    No offense Maruno, but I'll still use both. :D

On-topic: Alright, well it's about time I cracked open the E-book Charizard gave to me about RGSS...then maybe I can learn to script without failing.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Do you mean the "light" and "outdoorligh" named events, or something else? Because I'm pretty sure they are NOT processed simultaneously
    Maybe I'm mistaken, however you can have more than one light at a time. If there's more than one at a time, that seems pretty simultaneous to me. Then again, it may work like computers do, where multi-tasking is a myth, and the processor switches between processes so fast that it appears to be multi-tasking. Anyways, if they aren't simultaneous, then please explain it to me, and also explain why the light events cause incredible lag when there are several in a small area.

EDIT: slight correction, the lag I was referring to is from the begin Shadow Source, which you would normally want to use with a light (unless it's a window, sign, etc.).

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
    Sorry, I was starting to mess with it and forgot. I'll get back to it tomorrow if I remember (it's like 9:15 here).

it's cool, it's just frustrating because I have a pretty basic knowledge of rgss, but some stuff I just don't understand at all, and it's difficult finding information online about tiny specific parts of code. oh well, I'll keep mucking around and learning, and hopefully I'll get this daycare thing working somehow XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back