• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 12, 2011
    I got a problem concerning moving between maps:
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    ---------------------------
    Exception: NoMethodError
    PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'
    PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'
    PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'
    PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'
    PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'
    PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'
    PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'
    Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'
    PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'
    Shadow:179:in `update'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.
    *I think it has to do with the making the town map's lat/longitude but I don't want to change anything until I know what I'm looking for.
    Please can anyone help me?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Right, so basically what I want to figure out is the following; Supposing a titlescreen was done through events as oppose to using the titles at the beginning of the game, is it possible to make a transition event for the player (upon pressing the action button) to transport to the New Game/Continue Game/Options screen? I think it would have to be a script to be called, but I don't know what script would be used or what area the player would need to be moved to. It's kind of tough to get one's head around but someone may know.

Also, is it possible to have that titlescreen event work before the "New Game/Continue Game/Options" screen?
    In fact, the latter part is more important, the other part was figured out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    You'd need to call Scene_Title after already setting up the player on the Scene_Map, to use normal RPG Maker XP terms. I was able to accomplish this in a non-starter kit project, so I think it'd work similarly in PE.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Yeah I got it now anyway, by editing main, so it's not necessary any more. But thanks any how!

Years
  • does anyone know how to edit the details of a dependant event (like change its sprite) without having to recreate it?

Bill™

Random Guy
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2012
    .gif files don't work with RMXP... or at least I don't think they do.

Anyway I need to know how to select a battleback. Like the ones that come with essentials. Whenever I use the editor and set the metadata the background just shows up as black can anyone help me?

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
    Years
  • I went in to change the positioning of the text in-battle for the Playerbox and Enemybox. It turned out fine until I playtested it. Everytime I hit "enter" for the "A button" the text would move down a few centimeters. Eventually, the text moved down so much, it was no longer on the screen.

Does anyone know why this is?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    .gif files don't work with RMXP... or at least I don't think they do.

Anyway I need to know how to select a battleback. Like the ones that come with essentials. Whenever I use the editor and set the metadata the background just shows up as black can anyone help me?
    I don't think gifs are inherently supported by RMXP, but Essentials does support them. Just not that great. The graphics don't update correctly, so you get an after image of the previous frames which makes it look a bit cheap. That aside, were you using the internal or external editor? The external one can be a bit finicky, so I'd recommend using the internal one (open the player's menu and use the Debug option). Hopefully that helps.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not so sure that gifs are a problem now >.> Using the corrected version of Essentials, I don't have any problems with in-battle gifs. The kit I was using before was a bit dated though.

@aquakip: post the snippet of code you edited, and let me know where it's from and I'll take a look at it.

@desbrina: I'm not sure that it's possible, given the way dependent events are handled (or at least, not easily). I found that when I force the dependent event's graphic to change, a sprite pops up in the square the dependent even originated from. I'm assuming this means that the actual event just sits there, while a sort of psuedo-event follows you around. I've had similar troubles with SephirothSpawn's event spawner. The game doesn't account for the psuedo-events on the map like normal events, even though they may have all the same characteristics and still function the same (I used a little code to do a roll call of all events on the map. They were there and working, but unaccounted for). I believe it has something to do with loading the events based on the mapdata file. If I get the time, I'll try to look further into it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    Quick question, how are people using Gen IV sprites that don't have the 75% size reduction AND don't look messed up?

Bill™

Random Guy
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2012
    Thanks for the tip but now whenever I type 004 and hit enter it shows that I put 004 and a thing that looks like this [] I think that's why it isn't working. I have no idea how to enter the number without hitting enter any ideas?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Thanks for the tip but now whenever I type 004 and hit enter it shows that I put 004 and a thing that looks like this [] I think that's why it isn't working. I have no idea how to enter the number without hitting enter any ideas?
    That's weird. Which version of Essentials are you using? (though I don't think it should matter) I just tried it in the one I've been using, and it worked ok. Just to be double sure, you are using the internal editor (not the external one), right?

@udivision: do you mean the pokemon sprites, or trainers and OWs? If you mean in-battle pokemon, they may be using the gen 5 sprites (non-animated) for all of them, for consistency. That, or they may have redone the gen 4 sprites by hand to get rid of pixel errors (which I doubt). Or, they may have been lazy and left gen 1-3 sprites at one size, and gen 4 sprites in a different size (which would be unprofessional).

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    I'm talking about in-battle sprites
    Look at this:
    [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Look at Hipowdon, he's in his natural resolution. He's a gen IV guy, so his sprite is bigger by default. But it fits in somehow...

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    Send me the script you're using and I'll see if I can figure it out. And like I ask everyone else, could you give me a little more information? Like has it never worked at all? Did it suddenly stop working after making a change? And so on.

The Puzzle Script is this:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=233208
    27/9/2010: Full function Unown puzzle: https://www.mediafire.com/?i56kqzm7x4cp4kt

I put the Puzzle script and Mouse script to make it to work, but it does not work. (also I put to folder of the images of the Puzzle and the Event of the puzzle without modifying it)
    The demo of the script puzzle works perfectly, so I have not even idea of because it does not work in my game.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I'm talking about in-battle sprites
    Look at this:

Look at Hipowdon, he's in his natural resolution. He's a gen IV guy, so his sprite is bigger by default. But it fits in somehow...
    It just uses unedited gen 4 sprites (which you can grab on TSR). Im assuming the 1st-3rd gen sprites are at their original 128x128, so the sprites aren't consistently sized (unless the developer increased their size, which would distort them). That's where that un-professionalism I mentioned comes in. So if you want the first 493 to all be the exact same size without errors, you have to use the 5th gen sprites (or re-sprite them). Otherwise you can leave them at their original sizes, having smaller gen 1-3 sprites and larger gen 4 sprites.

@TACHAN: make sure you imported all of the graphics, since that will cause errors. If that's not the issue, it could be that your kit is old enough that it's missing the BitmapSprite class (I would think not, but I don't have an old enough kit to see for myself). So you could try adding this class somewhere ABOVE the puzzle script:
    Code:
    class BitmapSprite < SpriteWrapper
     def initialize(width,height,viewport=nil)
      super(viewport)
      self.bitmap=Bitmap.new(width,height)
      @initialized=true
     end
     def bitmap=(value)
      super(value) if !@initialized
     end
     def dispose
      self.bitmap.dispose if !self.disposed?
      super
     end
    end
    I doubt that's the actual issue, but again, I can't see for myself. Also ensure that the script was imported properly, called correctly from an event (just copy paste the event in the demo to be sure), and wasn't edited in any way. Just going down the list here.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    @TACHAN: make sure you imported all of the graphics, since that will cause errors. If that's not the issue, it could be that your kit is old enough that it's missing the BitmapSprite class (I would think not, but I don't have an old enough kit to see for myself). So you could try adding this class somewhere ABOVE the puzzle script:
    Code:
    class BitmapSprite < SpriteWrapper
     def initialize(width,height,viewport=nil)
      super(viewport)
      self.bitmap=Bitmap.new(width,height)
      @initialized=true
     end
     def bitmap=(value)
      super(value) if !@initialized
     end
     def dispose
      self.bitmap.dispose if !self.disposed?
      super
     end
    end
    I doubt that's the actual issue, but again, I can't see for myself. Also ensure that the script was imported properly, called correctly from an event (just copy paste the event in the demo to be sure), and wasn't edited in any way. Just going down the list here.

Thank you very much, it was the error :D, but the bottom screen does not show the image of the puzzle. :\

Bill™

Random Guy
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2012
    Yes I was using the in game editor. I just looked at the PBS files and it says
    BattleBack="004"
    It doesn't have the weird thing so now I'm assuming that that wasn't the problem. I have no idea what the problem is. If I move the battlebacks to the battlebacks folder will that fix it because they were in the pictures folder.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Yes I was using the in game editor. I just looked at the PBS files and it says
    BattleBack="004"
    It doesn't have the weird thing so now I'm assuming that that wasn't the problem. I have no idea what the problem is. If I move the battlebacks to the battlebacks folder will that fix it because they were in the pictures folder.
    Battlebacks belong in the Pictures folder, along with player and enemy bases (although you could change that in the script). Instead of using 004, have you tried just the number 4? I had a couple issues when messing with it yesterday, and found that non-padded numbers worked for me.

@TACHAN: Glad it worked. As for the dual screen issue, the problem is that you need to cut the image in half (it's ungodly large) and display the bottom half in the bottom screen with the controls and whatnot. I assume that the whole image is trying to display on the top screen. Unless I'm mistaken on how dual screens are scripted (I haven't messed with them much). I'll see if I get some time to play with it myself to find out for sure.

EDIT: TACHAN, which dual screen script are you using? I just put it into Venom12's DS kit, and it worked OK (except the Z button seems to be broken). The positioning was off, but it did display the whole image across the two screens.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Battlebacks belong in the Pictures folder, along with player and enemy bases (although you could change that in the script). Instead of using 004, have you tried just the number 4? I had a couple issues when messing with it yesterday, and found that non-padded numbers worked for me.
    That's no longer true. Battle backgrounds and bases now belong in the Battlebacks folder.

Some idiot didn't change the external Editor when he updated Essentials, so it's still looking for the graphics in the wrong place. However, the internal editor will work fine, and the graphics should definitely be in the Battlebacks folder from now on.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    That's no longer true. Battle backgrounds and bases now belong in the Battlebacks folder.

Some idiot didn't change the external Editor when he updated Essentials, so it's still looking for the graphics in the wrong place. However, the internal editor will work fine, and the graphics should definitely be in the Battlebacks folder from now on.
    I see. I am using a somewhat dated version for my test bed, so mine still looks in the Pictures folder (I checked the code directly). That also reminded me that I was going to suggest putting the editor scripts on the wiki just as is done with the main scripts that are already there. The editor is a part of the Essentials package, so I figure there's no sense in leaving it out. And of course it shouldn't be exempt from bug fixes either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back