• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
  • I have tried to import the palette a few times, but I can't find the correct palette offsets for the 256-color images (the Intro sprites for Oak, TrainerM/F, and Gary). The programs list them incorrectly. I'm assuming it's because these palettes are stored in 256-color instead of the usual 16-color (despite having less than 16 colors... >.>;; )

There doesn't seem to be a patch that skips the entirety of Oak's intro either. Diegoisawesome's patches seem to be able to skip "are you a boy or a girl?" and the Pikachu how-to-control pages, but nothing to skip me straight to gameplay.

Ehh.. I've uploaded the files for you. Download it here. I didn't add the no Rival patch of ep!c.
    Only diegoisawesome's force gender patch and skip both controls & tutorial.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Yep, if you're using XSE then you can write '[$]' to create the PokeYen symbol. You can also add some extra commands and make it look even more legitimate.

Code:
    Fresh Water\c\h13[BL][small][$]200

If you write the above text it will make it look like this:

VendingMachine_zpsc09fef93.png

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :D

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I was editing the trades in FireRed using Trader Advanced, everything was going fine. Then suddenly after saving a trade it spat a "Run-Time Error '380': Invalid Property Value" and the app closes. Now every time I go back to specifically the trade I saved on, it does the exact same thing before even bringing up the data.

I'm concerned. Did I do something wrong? Is this trade going to produce a Bad Egg or something?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I was editing the trades in FireRed using Trader Advanced, everything was going fine. Then suddenly after saving a trade it spat a "Run-Time Error '380': Invalid Property Value" and the app closes. Now every time I go back to specifically the trade I saved on, it does the exact same thing before even bringing up the data.

I'm concerned. Did I do something wrong? Is this trade going to produce a Bad Egg or something?
    If the program indeeds opens the rom fine, but it freezes and gives that same error message over and over again when you try to edit that specific trade, something probably got corrupted when you edited it for the first time.

If you have a backup rom file, use that. If you don't, test if that trade works. If it does, that still doesn't necessarily mean nothing is wrong. Best way for fixing the possible issue that has come up would be tracking the possible bug with IPS patches.

You can use a backup rom file as the unedited rom file and use the current, possible glitchy, rom file as edited rom file and create a patch file between them. Then, you open up the patch file with a hex editor and look for a possible issue the IPS patch has in it.
    It's not nearly as difficult as I make it sound and I could even describe it better if you have a recent backup and feel like you want to try it out.

Also, you could try asking destinedjagold about it since I have told him about it earlier, and he has linked the issue to some other people here as well, so he might have the post I wrote him stored in his computer.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    Does anyone know how to edit the behaviour bytes that are already in the game? There are a lot of tutorials on how to make new ones, but I want to edit the old ones.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In accordance to my previous question, I just took a gander at the code between the one I had altered, and another backup version in which I took the liberty of altering the trade the exact same way (I had no errors on this version). Turns out, the code between them in the trade's offset is exactly the same! o.O

The only difference between these two versions is not the trade now, but the ability of the Pokemon you get in the trade: I had changed it's ability, and I just kept the ability set to the ability that was changed. Could it be that my ability changes screwed up Trader Advanced after I had saved it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    Would anyone like to help me decipher the BSP script for Solarbeam?

Spoiler:

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out what command, if any, checks for weather during move execution. I suspect that it might have to do with the third line (the one that is skipped by the Cloud Nine and Air Lock checks) but I'm really not savvy enough to figure it out.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    The only difference between these two versions is not the trade now, but the ability of the Pokemon you get in the trade: I had changed it's ability, and I just kept the ability set to the ability that was changed. Could it be that my ability changes screwed up Trader Advanced after I had saved it?
    I'm led to believe your project uses an expanded ability table- did you change the ability to something that isn't in vanilla? That's probably what's breaking it- I imagine your trainer editor was built with the assumption that only vanilla abilities exist.

I'm trying to figure out what command, if any, checks for weather during move execution.
    jumpifhalfword 0x4 0x2023F1C 0x60 0x81D7C23

This one. x02023F1C is the location of the current weather- bit x20 is 1 in sun and bit x40 is 1 in permanent sun. The 0x4 in the command tells the game to jump if weather ANDed with x60 is non-zero.

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • I'm having a problem with Advanced Map..
    When I click "file --> open map", I open my separately created map. Once the thing is loaded into the old map's slot, I click on the insert tab and replace the existing map with my new one. The problem is...
    6UBJOno.png

Whenever I insert the new map, the name changes to whatever the name of the first map in the bank is. Anyway to change the names so their names are different?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I'm having a problem with Advanced Map..
    When I click "file --> open map", I open my separately created map. Once the thing is loaded into the old map's slot, I click on the insert tab and replace the existing map with my new one. The problem is...
    6UBJOno.png

Whenever I insert the new map, the name changes to whatever the name of the first map in the bank is. Anyway to change the names so their names are different?

Open the map whose name you want to change and go to its header tab. At the top of the page there should be a drop down list of all of the place names in the ROM. Select the one you want to give to the map and then save your ROM. Refresh Advance Map (F5) and your map should be under the correct name.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    jumpifhalfword 0x4 0x2023F1C 0x60 0x81D7C23

This one. x02023F1C is the location of the current weather- bit x20 is 1 in sun and bit x40 is 1 in permanent sun. The 0x4 in the command tells the game to jump if weather ANDed with x60 is non-zero.

Aha! So I suspected correctly. Thanks for your explanation. Does this mean that if I used 0x40 instead of 0x60, then the jump will only happen if the weather is permanent sun? Also, do you know which bits correspond to rain, hail, and sandstorm? Glancing at a different thread regarding Castform form changes (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=205458), it looks like 0x7 corresponds to rain and 0x80 corresponds to hail.

On a somewhat different topic: is BSP the preferred tool to use when implementing new abilities into Fire Red?

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2014
    Is there a way to create new map banks? I just want to be able to change the name of a bunch of the maps that already exist without affecting others that are linked to them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2017
    Ok, I made a map connection in advanced map and it lines up perfectly fine. When I cross over into the connected map everything is still fine. However when I cross back to the original map I came from (there is a connection for that too). the tiles glitch up and change.
    What am I doing wrong?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • Ok, I made a map connection in advanced map and it lines up perfectly fine. When I cross over into the connected map everything is still fine. However when I cross back to the original map I came from (there is a connection for that too). the tiles glitch up and change.
    What am I doing wrong?

That happens when the maps you're moving between have different secondary tilesets. Only one secondary tileset can be stored in the ROM's memory at a time, so one will overwrite the other when two different tilesets conflict. Your first map has some tiles which are too close to the second map's line of sight. You can avoid the glitchy tiles by doing either one of two things:
    • Add a gatehouse between the two maps, like Saffron city in FR/LG
    • Remake your maps so you can't see any secondary tilesets tiles from either side. Only use the tiles in your first tileset since they would be shared between the maps and therefore won't be overwritten.

DjinnAndTonic

Disgaeamon
    Years
  • Ehh.. I've uploaded the files for you. Download it here. I didn't add the no Rival patch of ep!c.
    Only diegoisawesome's force gender patch and skip both controls & tutorial.

I appreciate the link, but I already had those patches. And ep!c's No Rival patch. The problem isn't that I couldn't find those patches but that those patches only do half of what I want, which is to skip Oak's Intro entirely.

Alternately, if anyone knows a good tutorial on editing the Oak intro sprites, I can try to make his horrible yammering work with my hack, it just feels clumsy compared to just nulling out the bytes for Oak's whole speech.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-215644.html

This thread details the weather byte, along with many other useful ones.

Wow, that's a great resource! While I still have your attention, then, I have one more question. Say that I want to change the duration of some move like Taunt to X number of turns. BSP indicates that Taunt uses the settaunt command, which is just command D0. So I go to the command table at 0x25011C and look for the offset corresponding to command D0, which is 0x02BFC5.

At 0x02BFC5 I find:
    Code:
    B5 10 4C 10 4B 18 78 C1 00 09 1A 89 00 0A 19 D1 7C 08 07 00 28 1B D1 10 20 40 42 08 40 02 21 08 43 D0 74 19 78 C8 00 40 1A 80 00 00 19 C2 7C 0F 21 11 40 20 22 11 43 C1 74 04 49 08 68 05 30 08 60 12 E0 0C 3E 02 02 6C 3D 02 02 74 3D 02 02 07 4B 1A 68 51 78 90 78 00 02 01 43 D0 78 00 04 01 43 10 79 00 06 01 43 19 60 10 BC 01 BC 00 47 74 3D 02 02 10
    Now, I can't make heads or tails of this. I expect to find something related to the disable structure at 0x02023E0C that contains the Taunt timer (and indeed I do see that offset), but I have no idea what it's doing.

Sorry for bugging you so much with these questions.

ep!c

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2015
    necudma said:
    Is there a way to create new map banks? I just want to be able to change the name of a bunch of the maps that already exist without affecting others that are linked to them.

Yes, you must open your map, which you want to insert on the new bank and
    navigate: File -> Insert Map -> New Place -> Scroll down and press "New Bank"

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    In Jpan engine. How does the special 0x58 wild pokemon data switch works? And can anyone give me an example.[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Samuraipizzacats

Call me Seb
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2016
    Hi Guys!

I want to try and make an own hack, with what I think a great story! Anyway I have never done all this stuff before so I am learning on the way.

My biggest problem is inserting new tilesets in the game. When I try it (especially with trees) the end result is a lot different that the original picture.

My Question is : are there any rom hacks or roms with the most used tilesets already in it?

Thanks in advance!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back