• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep!c

Banned
Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2015
    These rom hacks are called "Tilebases" or "Rombases"
    and can be found in the Rom-Hacking-Resources thread.

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I want to extend the number of block in advanceMap (tiles). Do I just simply go into Advance Map in Block Editor, under the Block setting. There's an option called "Change Amount". I'm just curious is it safe to use it?

Also, In Jpan engine. How does the special 0x58 wild pokemon data switch works? And can anyone give me an example[FONT=&quot]?
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I want to extend the number of block in advanceMap (tiles). Do I just simply go into Advance Map in Block Editor, under the Block setting. There's an option called "Change Amount". I'm just curious is it safe to use it?

Also, In Jpan engine. How does the special 0x58 wild pokemon data switch works? And can anyone give me an example[FONT=&quot]?

Can some explain to me how "getplayerpos" works?
    [/FONT]

Just bumping my question.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Hey, it's me again! :D I have a few questions this time. :)
    1) I've added a few new Pokemon, is there a simple way to add them to the National Dex?
    2) Is there any good tutorials for adding new abilities? Also, how would I go about it? I'm considering it but it's not an essential at the moment (even for Pokemon like Electivire who have signature abilities could probably live without them but it would be a nice touch. :))
    3) So, Eevee's evolutions. I know it's been asked a few times, but how would I start writing a routine to direct Eevee to evolve into its extra evolutions (Leafeon, Glaceon and Sylveon)? I really want to give it a go since it's a key part of my hack (Eevee's the starter, the Fairy type is in it making Sylveon a nice Pokemon for the player to have etc.) but I'm a bit overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. ^^' Thanks! :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2014
    Yes, you must open your map, which you want to insert on the new bank and
    navigate: File -> Insert Map -> New Place -> Scroll down and press "New Bank"

Thanks for your reply! but this just makes a copy of the map into a new bank... can I just change a map's bank without duplicating it?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Thanks for your reply! but this just makes a copy of the map into a new bank... can I just change a map's bank without duplicating it?

Copy, paste, delete. There is no cut option. However, deleting may have issues, so back-up your rom.

Hey, it's me again! :D I have a few questions this time. :)
    1) I've added a few new Pokemon, is there a simple way to add them to the National Dex?
    2) Is there any good tutorials for adding new abilities? Also, how would I go about it? I'm considering it but it's not an essential at the moment (even for Pokemon like Electivire who have signature abilities could probably live without them but it would be a nice touch. :))
    3) So, Eevee's evolutions. I know it's been asked a few times, but how would I start writing a routine to direct Eevee to evolve into its extra evolutions (Leafeon, Glaceon and Sylveon)? I really want to give it a go since it's a key part of my hack (Eevee's the starter, the Fairy type is in it making Sylveon a nice Pokemon for the player to have etc.) but I'm a bit overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. ^^' Thanks! :D

All three of these questions require a knowledge of ASM. Hands down. If you haven't done so, read my "Concept of ASM" tutorial and work through the provided links at the bottom.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Copy, paste, delete. There is no cut option. However, deleting may have issues, so back-up your rom.

All three of these questions require a knowledge of ASM. Hands down. If you haven't done so, read my "Concept of ASM" tutorial and work through the provided links at the bottom.

Ah, I didn't realise the ability question tied in heavily with ASM. :o I assumed it'd be somewhat similar to editing attacks, although thinking about it I guess they'd have to be 100% custom so it makes sense. Thanks for answering. :)

karatekid552

Years
  • Ah, I didn't realise the ability question tied in heavily with ASM. :o I assumed it'd be somewhat similar to editing attacks, although thinking about it I guess they'd have to be 100% custom so it makes sense. Thanks for answering. :)

If you look up the 649 patch by clicking the link in my sig, you can look at some of the asm used for creating abilities. It is on GitHub. mrdollsteak is also pretty good at using them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    Does anyone know how to edit the behaviour bytes that are already in the game? There are a lot of tutorials on how to make new ones, but I want to edit the old ones.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    Does anyone know how Triple Kick's base power scales?

Normally it goes 10, 20, 30. But if I change its base power to 20 will it scale
    a) 20, 30, 40
    b) 20, 20, 30 or
    c) 20, 40, 60?

karatekid552

Years
  • I read that adding map banks is bad, why is that? Should I avoid it? I really need more banks though... :(

I haven't had an issue yet with adding banks. It is adding extra maps to banks that already exist that causes corruption. So, to be safe, when you add a new bank, just set the number of blank maps to like 10 or something. If they don't get used, it is fine. If I remember correctly, a blank map is only a blank pointer, or 4 bytes. Nothing compared to 16 mb.

Does anyone know how Triple Kick's base power scales?

Normally it goes 10, 20, 30. But if I change its base power to 20 will it scale
    a) 20, 30, 40
    b) 20, 20, 30 or
    c) 20, 40, 60?

Why don't you try it? That is the best way to find out. Run some tests. If you need to know the opponents HP, google "Generation iii Pokemon Data Structure" and click on the very first link to bulbapedia. In it, there will be a nice page detailing the structure of the RAM where pokemon are stored, and at the bottom, are the RAM offsets of the opponents pokemon.

Does anyone know how to edit the behaviour bytes that are already in the game? There are a lot of tutorials on how to make new ones, but I want to edit the old ones.

You already got an answer to this on ep!c's thread. I saw it this morning.

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023

Can some explain to me how "getplayerpos" works?[/FONT]

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2017
    When I transition from one of my maps it randomly resets the game. What is going on to make that happen? I have plenty of backup roms, that don't do it so I'm confused as to why its doing it in the other rom.

Also, I keep hearing that FR has the most hacks/patches/support ect. Does that go for LG as well, because they are practically the same, but a little different.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I want to extend the number of block in advanceMap (tiles). Do I just simply go into Advance Map in Block Editor, under the Block setting. There's an option called "Change Amount". I'm just curious is it safe to use it?

Can some explain to me how "getplayerpos" works?[/FONT]

Yep, its that simple. If you feel unsafe about using it then make a backup before touching it or mess about on an unneeded ROM.

I'd like to learn this as well ;_;

getplayerpos works by simply putting the player's X and Y co-ordinates into two variables of your choosing. You can then determine where the player is on the map by comparing those variables. For example, say I want to find out if the player was to the east of a certain location on a map for some particular reason, here's an example of a script to use:

Code:
    getplayerpos 0x8004 0x8005 // The player's X co-ordinate is written to the 0x8004 variable while their Y co-ordinate is written to 0x8005
    compare 0x8004 0x19 // Comparing the player's X co-ordinate to the value 0x19 (25)
    if 0x3 goto @PlayerIsEast // If the player's X co-ordinate is greater (0x3) than a value of 0x19 the script will branch off to @PlayerIsEast 

You can find the particular co-ordinates of a map by hovering over it in Advance Map and looking at the bottom left of the program.

When I transition from one of my maps it randomly resets the game. What is going on to make that happen? I have plenty of backup roms, that don't do it so I'm confused as to why its doing it in the other rom.

Also, I keep hearing that FR has the most hacks/patches/support ect. Does that go for LG as well, because they are practically the same, but a little different.

You've probably corrupted that map, most likely by accidentally messing with its header or overwriting something somewhere. You have a pretty good chance at restoring it if you save a copy of it as a map file, then reinsert it over itself and then save it to the ROM.

Most tools that support FR will support LG since they are extremely similar, but I'm sure that there are a couple of tools out there that don't do that for whatever reason.

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Yep, its that simple. If you feel unsafe about using it then make a backup before touching it or mess about on an unneeded ROM.

I'd like to learn this as well ;_;

getplayerpos works by simply putting the player's X and Y co-ordinates into two variables of your choosing. You can then determine where the player is on the map by comparing those variables. For example, say I want to find out if the player was to the east of a certain location on a map for some particular reason, here's an example of a script to use:

Code:
    getplayerpos 0x8004 0x8005 // The player's X co-ordinate is written to the 0x8004 variable while their Y co-ordinate is written to 0x8005
    compare 0x8004 0x19 // Comparing the player's X co-ordinate to the value 0x19 (25)
    if 0x3 goto @PlayerIsEast // If the player's X co-ordinate is greater (0x3) than a value of 0x19 the script will branch off to @PlayerIsEast 
    You can find the particular co-ordinates of a map by hovering over it in Advance Map and looking at the bottom left of the program.

Oh my god!
    Thank you :)! You're the best!!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • If you look up the 649 patch by clicking the link in my sig, you can look at some of the asm used for creating abilities. It is on GitHub. mrdollsteak is also pretty good at using them.

Oh, I have that downloaded so I'll give it a check now. :) If I'm correct the patch also used ASM for Leafeon and Glaceon? Thanks again!

Samuraipizzacats

Call me Seb
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2016
    Hi again!

With the help of Ep!c and his quick reply to my previous question I found the rom resources topic! I went on searching for a rom base and found one I really like.

The only problem is the link is dead :(. So I went on searching for the user but he hasn't appeared online for more then a year.

But since this community is full with elder members I thought maybe someone still has it somewhere. I cant post full links since I haven't post 15 posts yet, but the page is also on poke community. Anyway here is a part of the link

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5242444&postcount=38

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2017
    When I open up Visual Boy Advance and click tools/record/start AVI recording, it starts recording perfectly fine. However when I open the video later the footage is fliped upside-down. Is there a way to fix this?

Sorry, for all these newb questions. I REALLY appreciate all the friendly help you guys give.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back