• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    Hey, I need an answer to this... what pokemon do you suggest i replace to add:
    -Palkia
    -Dialga
    -Darkrai
    -Shaymin
    -all d/p starters +evo's

I know how to replace them, it's just that I need a decent opinion on what pokemon to replace. Thanks :)

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
    Years
  • Well, there are 25 free slots, if you haven't used them already. There's a fairly good guide up on PHO on how to use them.

If you've already used the slots, I suggest anything from the following list:
    Venonat Line (2); Farfetch'd; Doduo Line (2); Drowzee Line (2); Sentret Line (2); Hoothoot Line (2); Ledyba Line (2); Spinarak Line (2); Hoppip Line (3); Sunkern Line (2); Snubbull Line (2); Slugma Line (2); Corsola; Stantler; Seedot Line (3); Azurill; Plusle; Minun; Wingull Line (2); Surskit Line (2); Barboach Line (2); Clamperl Line (3); Shuppet Line (2); Volbeat; Illumise

Some of the more forgettable things... there's also stuff like Mawile, Girafarig, Qwilfish, Grimer's Line, Psyduck's Line; all fairly terrible and forgettable.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2015
    I am making a GSC Remake on Pokemon Emerald, and I have a couple of problems...
    1. How do you change the titlescreen to something else in Emerald (Ho-Oh, Lugia, Suicune eg.)
    2. For some reason, I cant open up Emerald in unLZ-GBA. Any solution?
    3. How do you make it so you start somewhere besides the truck? Because when I get out, since I took out the truck script, I am stuck in the border block area of the entrance to the Safari Zone... (Should I just remake the room that you start in as the truck and simply have a warp going down stairs?)
    4. Is there a PokePic-like tool for Emerald? Because some of the sprites I want to revamp and others I want to add...
    5. How do you change the intro (Where Prof. Birch is, and where you choose your gender and name)?
    6. Is there an IconEd tool for Emerald?

Thanks to anyone who answers any of my questions!

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    How do I check a byte and how do I replace the opcodes
    Open up the ROM in your favorite hex editor (I use Windhex). To help you get started, I'll show you the location of one ASM string: at offset 5FB1. When you start a new game, this ASM string gets run during Oak's speech.

I've attached a list of ASM opcodes to this post. It's probably got a few errors, but for the most part it's correct. If you need to know what an opcode does, check out this list.

A register is essentially a storage place inside the Game Boy that stores a value of one byte. Some can be paired to hold two bytes. The most prominent registers in the Game Boy CPU are a, b, c, d, e, f, h, and l -- they can be paired as af, bc, de, and hl. Note that a (also known as the accumulator) is the most versatile of these registers, f is the least (you can't change its values directly), and all the others are about equal.

Okay, let's get going. At 5FB1, you'll see this in your hex editor:
    asm001.png

Let's start with the first byte. According to asmopcodes.txt (attached to this post), 11 YY XX means "load the next two values into de." So our first opcode is
    Code:
    ld de,$002B
    The next one is CD. According to our list, CD means "call the ASM function starting at this location, and then return."
    Code:
    ld de,$002B
    call $3D98
    There are two ways to figure out what a function does. The first way would be to go to offset 3D98 and start disassembling there, but if this happens you might spend all day disassembling something that started with one function call (I've done this more than once!). The second way would be to blank out the call and determine what doesn't happen. So let's replace the CD 98 3D with 00 00 00 (3 NOPs, or "no operation"s). Save the ROM in your hex editor and load it in VBA. When you start a new game and listen to Oak's speech, what's different?

If you noticed there was no music, that's great! We can assume that the function at offset 3D98 starts playing music, but it needs more testing. How can we change what music is being played? Generally, we would change what data is loaded into registers before the function is called. Replace the original code with
    Code:
    ld de,$0011
    call $3D98

Did the music change? Then you've made your first ASM hack -- changing the music during Oak's speech! What's more, we've learned how to play music in ASM. If you know the location of some ASM for a specific point in the game, you can just load de with the song number and call $3D98 to play it!

Keep disassembling at that location. See if you can figure out what functions print text and play Pokemon cries. See if you can figure out how to display a Pokemon picture (it doesn't use a function!).

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2011
    Edited Region Map

hello there, i am new in editing/hacking pokemon... anyone please tell me how to insert/upload my edited region map to the pokemon rom? please tell me,....

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!!!

Melash

Back for now.
    Years
  • Err...no one answered my questions! Here they are again:
    1. Okay, whenever I try to start Cyclone or AGPIX, I get this message:
    System Error &H80070485 (-2147023739). One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.
    I am using a Windows 98.
    However, whenver I run it on Vista, it works! Whenever I start AGPIX on Vista, is says, MSCOMCT2.OCX is missing. But it's in the folder!
    2. What is the best (or one of the best) tile editor for 3rd Gen games? I would just like a download link!
    3. Other than TLP, what program can edit non-compressed graphics in GSC? (Specifically the tilesets!)
    4. What's the number for "Red Version" in the titlescreen (in Red!) in TLP?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Sorry, I saved it with Unix linebreaks. Here's one that uses Windows linebreaks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2008
    i got a few questions, answering them would be very much appriciated

im hacking ruby

i open advance map and click the script i wanna edit then click open script and i edit it..then i push save and it just saves a file into teh folder but it does nothing! how do i insert it?

um how do i change the starter pokemon?

on the intro screen how do i edit that

how do i edit the OWs and other sprites and insert them into the game
    much appriciated of answerd

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    i got a few questions, answering them would be very much appriciated

im hacking ruby

i open advance map and click the script i wanna edit then click open script and i edit it..then i push save and it just saves a file into teh folder but it does nothing! how do i insert it?

um how do i change the starter pokemon?

on the intro screen how do i edit that

how do i edit the OWs and other sprites and insert them into the game
    much appriciated of answerd

1. When making a script to make it permenent change in the ROM you have to hit compile, (if you are using XSE its the two little gears).

2. There is a program called Advance Starter in the Toolbox, go find it.

3. To change the title screen you will need UNLZ.GBA, APE, and a tutorial. The two tools are in the Toolbox section and the Tutorial is in the Tutorials section.

4. There is a program called OW Editor Rebirth Edition(thats what i use there are others that are possible better) it is also in the Toolbox.

Next time before asking a question search the threads. All this has probably been stated before. And work on your grammar too.

Eletj

Once Eletj, Always Eletj
    Years
  • I've been having problems with inserting Sprites using Destinyjagold's tutorial, and instead of showing the sprite in oddish's place, it shows Oddish with Giratina's Pallette. Also, when I go to battle it (wild battle) and the screen goes black. Any ideads??? Thank you in advance.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2008
    1. When making a script to make it permenent change in the ROM you have to hit compile, (if you are using XSE its the two little gears).

2. There is a program called Advance Starter in the Toolbox, go find it.

3. To change the title screen you will need UNLZ.GBA, APE, and a tutorial. The two tools are in the Toolbox section and the Tutorial is in the Tutorials section.

4. There is a program called OW Editor Rebirth Edition(thats what i use there are others that are possible better) it is also in the Toolbox.

Next time before asking a question search the threads. All this has probably been stated before. And work on your grammar too.
    thank you,
    i have 3 more questions ,how do i turn it into a ips
    and the legedaries u press a on how do u change that sprite and change the pokemon?
    how do you edit the intro to the game

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2011
    region map

hello, sombody knows how to edit the world map or region map in pokemon fire red?

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    Hey, me again, but this time i need to know something else, btw, thanks for the help last time, really helped me! But anyway, sorry if this doesn't go here but: What order should I make my ROM hack in? example:

Should i start with the mapping, or write the scripts first, or edit the sprites first(OW's included) I really don't know what to do, because I've just been working on a hack and I've done the map first, then i did some sprite changing, which has caused the map to go completely messed up.

Also what game is easiest to hack? Firered or Ruby?

Thanks a bunch if you can help me on this one :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2009
    There are 232 pages, so searching seems a bit crazy.

How do I change my main character to Wally?

Also@Jamie: I think for scripting it might be easier in FR because everything is availble from the start compared to Ruby when you need to get an add-on.

KhaosKnight

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    thank you,
    i have 3 more questions ,how do i turn it into a ips
    and the legedaries u press a on how do u change that sprite and change the pokemon?
    how do you edit the intro to the game

1. Well when you open Lunar IPS, click the create patch button then follow the onscreen directions

2. You are gonna have to re-phrase number two because i cant read that garbbled mess. I will try my best to answer this, you have to open advance map, highlight the Legendary poke you want to change, and on the side panel change the sprite pic to the desired pic, if you want to add a legendary that isnt in the game you will have to find the OW and insert it. And to change the poke you battle you have to open the script and modify it to match the desired pokemon battle.

3. You edit the intro the same way you edit the title screen, with Unlz.gba and APE

hello, sombody knows how to edit the world map or region map in pokemon fire red?

I think the program is called Cyclone, i am not too sure on this one, go check the tutorials section and the Toolbox section, here is one tut on it
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114526

Hey, me again, but this time i need to know something else, btw, thanks for the help last time, really helped me! But anyway, sorry if this doesn't go here but: What order should I make my ROM hack in? example:

Should i start with the mapping, or write the scripts first, or edit the sprites first(OW's included) I really don't know what to do, because I've just been working on a hack and I've done the map first, then i did some sprite changing, which has caused the map to go completely messed up.

Also what game is easiest to hack? Firered or Ruby?

Thanks a bunch if you can help me on this one :)

Well some say firered is easier because it is newer among other reasons, and i would do mapping first, then do scripting, then finish with Sprites. Because with mapping done it makes it easier to tell where to put the desired scripts and sprites

There are 232 pages, so searching seems a bit crazy.

How do I change my main character to Wally?

Also@Jamie: I think for scripting it might be easier in FR because everything is availble from the start compared to Ruby when you need to get an add-on.

All you have to do is open an OW editor and replace all the hero sprites with the wally sprites, though you may need to make some more wally sprites, with the fishing rod and surfing as well...and with that there is also alot more to be done

Last edited:

Hat?

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2008
    Err...no one answered my questions! Here they are again:
    1. Okay, whenever I try to start Cyclone or AGPIX, I get this message:
    System Error &H80070485 (-2147023739). One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.
    I am using a Windows 98.
    However, whenver I run it on Vista, it works! Whenever I start AGPIX on Vista, is says, MSCOMCT2.OCX is missing. But it's in the folder!
    2. What is the best (or one of the best) tile editor for 3rd Gen games? I would just like a download link!
    3. Other than TLP, what program can edit non-compressed graphics in GSC? (Specifically the tilesets!)
    4. What's the number for "Red Version" in the titlescreen (in Red!) in TLP?

1) I searched the web for a solution to this error a while ago, and have found nothing useful, just other people saying they have encountered it using some program or another, or they don't know how to fix it.

2 & 3) Tile Layer Pro is a good tile editor for ROMs made for various systems, it can edit everything you should/could be editing that's uncompressed, just read the help file that accompanies it. But if it's the interface you don't like/can't work well with, you should just try as many Tile Editors as possible and see what works best for you.

4) I posted the tiles offset and arrangement offset further back in this thread if you just want to look around.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2008
    1. Well when you open Lunar IPS, click the create patch button then follow the onscreen directions

2. You are gonna have to re-phrase number two because i cant read that garbbled mess. I will try my best to answer this, you have to open advance map, highlight the Legendary poke you want to change, and on the side panel change the sprite pic to the desired pic, if you want to add a legendary that isnt in the game you will have to find the OW and insert it. And to change the poke you battle you have to open the script and modify it to match the desired pokemon battle.

3. You edit the intro the same way you edit the title screen, with Unlz.gba and APE
    umm i cant seem to find Unlz.gba can you link me to it?

ok i create a new trainer or w/e but how do i put script on it seems i can only edit it 1s that are already there? and thank you

KhaosKnight

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    umm i cant seem to find Unlz.gba can you link me to it?

ok i create a new trainer or w/e but how do i put script on it seems i can only edit it 1s that are already there? and thank you

1. Search google for Unlz

2. You have to make your own script...go check Thethethethe's Scripting tutorial in the tuts section to learn how to script.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back