• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
Ok, I have a few questions that I would like answered. Thansk for your time.

1. How much space is there in a ROM? What I mean is, in tools like Advance Map, you can create and insert a new map. How many times can you do this without using up all of the 'memory'?

2. This is similar to the one above. When I choose an offset for a script(like a message from talking to a person, etc), and I make a mistake, and then re-compile the script, how much space am I using? Will I eventually use up all of the space? For example, I compile a script into a ROM,a nd then realize I made a mistake in the script. I fix the script and compile it again; but it has a differenyt offset. What does this do?

3. Is there a forum(or topic/ whatever it is called) where I can request scripts to be made for me? I am not very good at making complicated scripts, I can handle simple ones like messages, give pokemon, etc. I need a script for at the beginning of the game, when Professor Oak stops you from running into the grass, and then takes you to get a Pokemon. What I want is that a seperate guy to be standing near the grass, and stop you from going in the grass, until you have talked to Oak and gotten a Pokemon. If you wish to help me, or know someone who will, or a forum for this kind of question, let me know so I can provide more detail.

4. Is there a tool that will overwrite current Pokemon with Pokemon that I create? Like how you use a tool to change the picture, and then another to change the stats name, pokedex info, etc, all in one?

Thanks for your help and time.

1. I don't know how much space there is in a game but there is a TON, like maps don't take too much space I think and scripts barely take any space... Don't worry too much about it. If you feel like the space is too little you can extend your game to 32mb... I don't know how though.

2. Same as above.

3.I know there is a script help thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120081

Don't know about requests though.

4. You could use UnlZ to overwrite the pictures, and APE to edit the palettes... I know there are move editors and cry editors out there don't know their names though... Try looking through some tutorials on adding Pokes.

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Ok, I have a few questions that I would like answered. Thansk for your time.

1. How much space is there in a ROM? What I mean is, in tools like Advance Map, you can create and insert a new map. How many times can you do this without using up all of the 'memory'?

2. This is similar to the one above. When I choose an offset for a script(like a message from talking to a person, etc), and I make a mistake, and then re-compile the script, how much space am I using? Will I eventually use up all of the space? For example, I compile a script into a ROM,a nd then realize I made a mistake in the script. I fix the script and compile it again; but it has a differenyt offset. What does this do?

3. Is there a forum(or topic/ whatever it is called) where I can request scripts to be made for me? I am not very good at making complicated scripts, I can handle simple ones like messages, give pokemon, etc. I need a script for at the beginning of the game, when Professor Oak stops you from running into the grass, and then takes you to get a Pokemon. What I want is that a seperate guy to be standing near the grass, and stop you from going in the grass, until you have talked to Oak and gotten a Pokemon. If you wish to help me, or know someone who will, or a forum for this kind of question, let me know so I can provide more detail.

4. Is there a tool that will overwrite current Pokemon with Pokemon that I create? Like how you use a tool to change the picture, and then another to change the stats name, pokedex info, etc, all in one?

Thanks for your help and time.
1 & 2. Lots. Trust me when I say you won't need to worry about that stuff. But always save you scripts and then do a batch compile on a fresh ROM to be sure you have lots of room.

3. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120081 but it's more of a help thread than a request thread. You can ask for help there and people will more than likely give you a hand.

4. No, there isn't a tool that does all of that.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
I have two questions:

1. Is there a music editor like Sappy but for G/S/C?

2. In Pokemon Prism, CBM made it so that you can change how the hero sprite looks. Is this a command or an ASM routine and is it possible in Advance games?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I have two questions:

1. Is there a music editor like Sappy but for G/S/C?

2. In Pokemon Prism, CBM made it so that you can change how the hero sprite looks. Is this a command or an ASM routine and is it possible in Advance games?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. I'm 95% sure there isn't. :\

2. It was more than likely an ASM routine. :S There is a super/mega/hyper top secret way to change the player's OW in the GBA Gen (without ASM). It's complicated though, and I'm too busy to explain it right now.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
There is a super/mega/hyper top secret way to change the player's OW in the GBA Gen (without ASM). It's complicated though, and I'm too busy to explain it right now.
What's that? If I can make it work, I can make flashbacks work!

Did you check the content of the palette file?
Did you make sure you selected the right format?
Did you got similars problems earlier?
1. Hum.
2. Yeah, I did. The palette for a tileset I exported from A-M showed up while exporting the file.
3. get*. And...I haven't inserted tiles this way before. I've only used tiles that had palettes really, really, similar to the one I exported and just changed the tiles...This time though, the closest palette makes it all funky. :\

Last edited:

MR. MR. MR. ATOM.

ehsGweyisgh
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 4, 2009
I've been looking everywhere for a scripting program/hex editor for GSC. Point me in the right direction?

Raizaiel

Well, I'll be conflabbed!
Years
These questions got totally ignored so I'm reposting.

I suppose I still misunderstood. I never intended to change the pokemon obedience/HM prerequisite settings for the badges. I'd keep everything the same, except convert the images of the badges to something else (say, a THUNDERBADGE to a SPECTREBADGE). Would I be able to avoid the ASM by just changing the images?

Oh, and HackMew, I have another question, specifically for you and anyone else who knows what I mean. I have this problem in Advance Map concerning your brilliant XSE. I plug example scripts in from tutorials perfectly into the XSE Editor from inside Advance Map, and the program converts them out of that into something else (removes the #dynamic line, removes messages and lines of code, et cetera). Also, sometimes more than one person will say the same message and I've even had one NPC turn the screen dark purple and lock the game when I try to talk to him.

Because I'm a complete noob when it comes to scripting, I'm sure it's just something I'm doing wrong. Could you guide me, oh merciful HackMew, with your firm finger of justice?

Also, kickass program there. If only I could get it to obey me. I must not have the right badges.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
hi pipz. I got a question I wish to be answered...

Is there a tool called PokéCry V2...?

Thankies in advance~

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
I'm new to hacking and I have a few questions.

1.) Why does PET give the POKEMON the wrong attack? I gave a Seel Water Gun, Poweder Snow, Mist and Tackle and it ended up with Flamethrower, Shockwave, Bite and Horn Drill. I've dumped all the sprites and trainer pics did I do something wrong?

2.) Is there a tool for changing attacks names and description.

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I'm new to hacking and I have a few questions.

1.) Why does PET give the POKEMON the wrong attack? I gave a Seel Water Gun, Poweder Snow, Mist and Tackle and it ended up with Flamethrower, Shockwave, Bite and Horn Drill. I've dumped all the sprites and trainer pics did I do something wrong?

1. Use Amplifier Ae 2006 or Amplifier Ae 2007... I think you can get one in WAH...

2. Use A-tack and A-Text...

Is threre some place where I can get the tools I need for hacking?

well, yeah...
The Toolbox section...

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I suppose I still misunderstood. I never intended to change the pokemon obedience/HM prerequisite settings for the badges. I'd keep everything the same, except convert the images of the badges to something else (say, a THUNDERBADGE to a SPECTREBADGE). Would I be able to avoid the ASM by just changing the images?

Oh, and HackMew, I have another question, specifically for you in the event that no one else knows what I mean. I have this problem in Advance Map concerning your brilliant XSE. I plug example scripts in from tutorials perfectly into the XSE Editor from inside Advance Map, and the program converts them out of that into something else (removes the #dynamic line, removes messages and lines of code, et cetera). Also, sometimes more than one person will say the same message and I've even had one NPC turn the screen dark purple and lock the game when I try to talk to him.

Because I'm a complete noob when it comes to scripting, I'm sure it's just something I'm doing wrong. Could you guide me, oh merciful HackMew, with your firm finger of justice?

Also, kickass program there. If only I could get it to obey me. I must not have the right badges.

If you just need to change THUNDERBADGE to a SPECTREBADGE and the like, then you just need to use unLZ to edit the image and then the gym dialog where the gym leader gives you the badge. It wouldn't be good to have a SPECTREBADGE while the game says you got a THUNDER one instead, isn't it?
Absolutely no ASM.

Regarding script, your guesses were totally right: you're doing something wrong indeed. In fact, there's a somehow deep difference between compiling and decompiling a script. In the first case you can use dynamic offsets, #defines and more. When decompiling, though, all those fancy things are obviously gone. When you decompile a script, you get raw data and there's no way to determine which #dynamic value you used etc., of course.
You should be aware that XSE doesn't just support static/dynamic offset and pointers, but it can go mixed mode as well. Being a beginner you should avoid static and mixed mode, and stick with dynamic. Also, it's good to remember that the #dynamic value is just a starting offset that XSE uses to search free space, so you basically need to get a good place filled with FFs (FSF will help nicely) and then you don't need to change it basically ever. Anyway, I guess you'll be happy to know in the newest XSE I've implemented a refactoring for decompiling. In short, you get dynamic scripts after decompling.

Static example:

Code:
#org 0x800000
msgbox 0x880000A
callstd 0x2
end

#org 0x80000A
= This is static.

Dynamic example:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
msgbox @hello
callstd 0x2
end

#org @hello
= This is dynamic.

Mixed example:

Code:
#org 0x800000
msgbox @hello
callstd 0x2
end

#org @hello
= This is mixed.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
1. Use Amplifier Ae 2006 or Amplifier Ae 2007... I think you can get one in WAH...

2. Use A-tack and A-Text...

well, yeah...
The Toolbox section...

I meant for trainers I use YAPE for Pokemon attack and stats.

Thanks I never knew you could use A-Text to edit Pokemon names and
attacks.

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Thanks I never knew you could use A-Text to edit Pokemon names and
attacks.

er... what...!?

you sure know how to confuse me...

at any rate, A-tack can only edit the names of attacks, A-Text can edit the description, Name Editor Advance can change the PKMN names.

or you can do those three with hex...

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
er... what...!?

you sure know how to confuse me...

at any rate, A-tack can only edit the names of attacks, A-Text can edit the description, Name Editor Advance can change the PKMN names.

or you can do those three with hex...

Sorry about confusing you. A-Text can edit attack names I changed the names of few attacks. I don't really want to use hex it looks really hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back