• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
Well... The difference between the two offsets is too small. The sprite is inserted at 0x800000, while the palette is inserted just 16 bytes after, which is definitely not enough. Not to say you don't need to change the palette offset at all because you can just overwrite it. Reinsert it again, this time using the old palette offset and if you did it correctly, everything should be fine.

I've had some success with replacing the palette and inserting the image in some free space, but the transparency colour isn't working and there are 5 random dots where the black colour has turned to white along the outline (sign of too many colours when indexed?):
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
When I do just replace the old sprite, I get the "Compressed size is too big" error. I'm thinking maybe I have more than 16 colours in the image, although I did specify 16 colours when indexing in photoshop. Perhaps I'm not doing that right?

No. Which tutorial is it?

Anyway, you tried the image BEFORE the pallette? No, the Pallette needs to be 2 lines above the Image, NOT the image before the pallette, so instead of 0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette), it should go: 0800000 (pallette HEX) and 0800010 (Sprite HEX).

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Anyway, you tried the image BEFORE the pallette? No, the Pallette needs to be 2 lines above the Image, NOT the image before the pallette, so instead of 0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette), it should go: 0800000 (pallette HEX) and 0800010 (Sprite HEX).

Well, why repointing the palette at all?

Muffin™

Knows your age
Years
I've got a question. Does anyone know how to hide all of the sprites? (Besides the player, of course!) Because I'm making a hack and there's 8 people I want to hide, and only 3 disappear.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I've got a question. Does anyone know how to hide all of the sprites? (Besides the player, of course!) Because I'm making a hack and there's 8 people I want to hide, and only 3 disappear.

Do you need to hide them just temporarily?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
No, like disappear. EX: 8 people (fadescreen) all of there sprites disappear

Then do this. Set the People ID for those 8 people just the same value. Then, in the script, put a fadescreen, then 8 hidesprite and setflag with the People ID value you set.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Well, why repointing the palette at all?

Why ask? Maybe he is inserting a Pokemon into the 25 Unknown slots? Anyway, his motives shouldn't be questioned.

Anyway, Maco, I suggest using a tutorial by torferno-x (I think that is his name), and of you get confused, ask me. But the pallette should be first n Hex, THEN the image 2 lines after, if inserting into Free Space.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Why ask? Maybe he is inserting a Pokemon into the 25 Unknown slots? Anyway, his motives shouldn't be questioned.

Consider it was a revamped Charmander, I assumed he was replacing the original Charmander sprite. Anyway, Maco, could you post the sprite you're trying to insert?

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2011
Heres a picture to show my problem.
I'm not allowed to post urls yet. >_> But I thought this would be the easiest way to describe my problem.

Why did Red get discolored like that when I switch him and Blue?
Same thing happened in Emerald when I switched Brendan and Wally.

img189.imageshack.us/img189/6789/27347386.jpg

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
You mean the indexed sprite right?
im away from my computer now, ill upload it when i get home.
@deviation i was going to replace the original charmander sprite with my revamp

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Heres a picture to show my problem.
I'm not allowed to post urls yet. >_> But I thought this would be the easiest way to describe my problem.

Why did Red get discolored like that when I switch him and Blue?
Same thing happened in Emerald when I switched Brendan and Wally.

img189.imageshack.us/img189/6789/27347386.jpg

The problem is the pallete. Red and Green (yeah, Green actually) use different palettes, and therefore it doesn't look good.

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2011
The problem is the pallete. Red and Green (yeah, Green actually) use different palettes, and therefore it doesn't look good.

Should've been clearer.
What would the best way be to fix that?
I changed the palette applied at the bottom to the one normally used by red then it would have worked. However, I guess even if I reassign it in OWE that the palette will go back to the one originally used by Green/Blue/Gary/Rival/ Oaks' Grandson/ W/e (lol) had?

What I want to avoid is changing a palette that will then affect every other trainer on the overworld.

Eh... I changed it from the one it was using to 16 and now it seems to work.

Now the only other small thing that is bothering me is that arrows when leaving a building or the exclamation mark on top of the player character are green. Normally, they are white. How is the color of these items affected? Are they part of the main character ow sprite?

Last edited:

mattattack

Huh, Son?
Years
I asked the same question in diego's tut but i think it should go here: How to do you trigger those green script squares in A-map. (IE you land on it and a person comes toward you) and what is a variable? like LASTRESULT?

Neutral12

The EV Trainer
Years
How do I edit default trainer sprites to make them custom trainers? I have no idea what i'm doing and I have been trying to figure it out all day.

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2011
How do I edit default trainer sprites to make them custom trainers? I have no idea what i'm doing and I have been trying to figure it out all day.

Well, for the overworld sprite just use the overworld editor.
For the trainer icon on the trainer card you can use unLZ.gba and look for the section with the trainer sprites and eventually find it there and change it however you want. Just have to make sure the icon is compatible (indexed)

Before you write in it using unLZ.gba youre gonna want to find free space, so look for fsf and tutorials on how to use that.

As for the trainer backsprite, well that one gets harder. I used tma, tile molester alternate, but Im sure theres an easier way to do that... right?

Neutral12

The EV Trainer
Years
I'm so lost, I tried looking in the tutorials section and it doesn't help me because I have no idea on what i'm exactly looking for. I'm trying to edit the trainer battle sprite. I'm trying to replace Brandons sprite with a different sprite that I made myself, but i'm so confused and lost I don't know what i'm doing. As far as I know I know unLZ is involved, but whenever I try to import the one I made it gives me an error message saying that it's not indexed... So yea over all i'm confused and lost big time.

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
I'm so lost, I tried looking in the tutorials section and it doesn't help me because I have no idea on what i'm exactly looking for. I'm trying to edit the trainer battle sprite. I'm trying to replace Brandons sprite with a different sprite that I made myself, but i'm so confused and lost I don't know what i'm doing. As far as I know I know unLZ is involved, but whenever I try to import the one I made it gives me an error message saying that it's not indexed... So yea over all i'm confused and lost big time.

To index the sprite you made, you have to download and install a program called IrfanView. Then follow these instructions.

@hackmew: Here's my indexed sprite, which I inserted into Fire Red:
Spoiler:

I still get the background showing instead of being transparent, and the 5 random white dots.

Thanks HackMew and Deviation for the help so far

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2010
I have a question. I'm trying to make a Pokemon game myself and I need to know one thing. Is there a way to add genders to genderless Pokemon. I know you can do it with R/S/E but I have no idea how to with Platinum.

If you can, how do you do it or would another tool have to be made to allow it to play right in game and if not, is there something out that allows you to make or remake a Pokemon.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Here's my indexed sprite, which I inserted into Fire Red:
Spoiler:

I still get the background showing instead of being transparent, and the 5 random white dots.

Thanks HackMew and Deviation for the help so far

Exactly like I guessed. It's not indexed properly. The background color must be always the first one in the palette to be transparent. Here's the fixed sprite:

nf5oye.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back