• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are cheats justified?

TeamRocketKid

Team Rocket Superstar
Years
  • So I was wondering something. In BW where you can't rebattle trainers like in other games it makes it harder to level up. So are people that use cheats bad? Like isn't it unfair to use the cheats for 900 rare candies or to unlock every TM? Just seems morally wrong if there into tournament game play

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • In my book, cheats are fine as long as you don't mess other people up. Spawn a few rare candies? Fine. Get a rare event pokemon? Hard to do so otherwise. Trade someone a hacked pokemon or battle with one? No. There's also something to be said about doing stuff legit, anyone can catch a legendary with a masterball, but can you do it without?

TeamRocketKid

Team Rocket Superstar
    Years
  • In my book, cheats are fine as long as you don't mess other people up. Spawn a few rare candies? Fine. Get a rare event pokemon? Hard to do so otherwise. Trade someone a hacked pokemon or battle with one? No. There's also something to be said about doing stuff legit, anyone can catch a legendary with a masterball, but can you do it without?

Wait so there not hacked if you spawn rare candies for them or TMs?

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • Depends on who your talking too, that's kinda being lazy, but it's not gamebreaking. I don't care for one, but I do care if I'm being given a rare pokemon that was hacked, or a pokemon with buffed up stats (Via hacking)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't really care if people cheat, as long as they're not using cheats to create obviously hacked Pokemon. A good friend of mine hacked 900 of each item in his game, and personally, I wouldn't mind having that cheat myself. It makes things easier, plus you can trade off items to people when you trade Pokemon, whether as a surprise gift or a request from them. But yeah, I don't see the big deal about it, except for when you hack in obviously non-legit Pokemon. I also dislike hacking in a ton of Master Balls and catching everything in it...that's pretty annoying and lazy.

PS: I'm changing the title to "Are cheats justified?" because "is" isn't the right word and it is bugging me so much lol.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • To me, it's fine to cheat to get hard-to-find/limited amount items, but it's not okay to cheat to "make" Pokemon with illegal movesets or unreleased ones.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    It all depends on the person. Some people don't want to take that route and say, "Hey, I'm a legitimate player and that means something." Others just don't. If you do cheat, sometimes it can take away the fun of actually playing. Or you could have tons of fun. Kinda depends on your "Poke-morals".

As a matter of fact, when I played Platinum after playing Diamond, I just hacked in a starting team and went amok from there. I thought it was fun since I could choose a specific Pokemon I actually liked and what's the point of playing if it isn't fun?

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2012
    If you Finished the Game I can not see why.

But I think it's your Personal Opinion.

I don't Mind Cheating

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Me and friends will use PokeGen to create Pokemon for cheese and giggles, get us some 900 of everything, and then create legit Pokemon for us to use against each other and on the Subways and Battle facilities, but really, I see no reason why everyone goes up in arms about it. It's data, and all I'm doing is creating my own data. The games are for each person to enjoy their own way. Do it your way, you know, like Burger King. But I can see how everyone freaks when all of a sudden they get faced against a Sableye with Wonder Guard on it, Refresh, Recover, and some junk like sacred Fire.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah I'd much rather play through in-game not using cheats (which I don't) since I'd much rather play through honestly and idk if the games are worth playing if you do cheat because all the effort and time spent on the games is significantly shorter. Dunno I like the boring stuff and cheating to get that makes it all basically pointless to me. XD;

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I'm okay with cheating if it's along the lines of getting items such as hard to get TMs or Heart Scales to tinker around with your Mon's moveset a bit. I prefer battling over Rare Candies though but that's personal preference.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I'll be honest, I have cheated in the past, I own an AR for the DSi, but that was really only for back in the day when I would be all into trading, and I'd strictly use it for cloning and checking IVs. Nowadays I'm not so much of a cheater, nor do I encourage the use of it. Of course I have limitations on what I would call cheating, but it all depends on that. I wouldn't say cloning a Pokemon for the Trade Corner would be considered cheating or anything like that, but anything further than that would be. Reproducing items for levels, just to get something for the Battle Tower, anything like that I wouldn't comprehend. unless it's hgss because it's super hard to get levels in that game

Would exploiting glitches count as cheating? Because I used to do that whole thing with getting the three starters and cloning using a Ditto in Gold and Silver. :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Debating cheating in a singleplayer context is needless for it concerns not other persons.
    And, say with PokeSav, so long as one correctly makes legitimate monsters, again there is no issue; it only skips an immense amount of wasted time on stat management and general grind that nobody looking simply to battle others tends to want to endure beforehand. Same with shinies; it is a mere visual difference that the 'legit' crowd abuse the RNG to acquire anyway.
    I also don't personally hold issue with obtaining event monsters 'illegally', as many events are unduly difficult to attend, and additionaly many are restricted to certain countries.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Cheats were always justified. Pokemon is an RPG. There is no skill or value in the work involved in playing legit other than your enjoyment. This is why I stick to Pokemon Online, where I don't have to deal with the constant whining over stuff that /does not matter/. >_>; The exception is using cheats /during/ competitive play (See: only during.) and cheats that give completely impossible moves/abilities in competitive play.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    When I battled competitively, I made my own legitimate Pokemon. My reasoning: If you want to have any success in battling, you need max IV pokes. Before I started Sav'ing, I would breed my own Pokes, get the nature I wanted, and EV train manually. I finally created a team. When I started battling, I would ALWAYS lose in speed ties because everyone else hacked in Pokes with perfect IVs. As for using cheats for single player, I'm not a fan.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • As long as you personally feel that cheating is justified (and as long as you're not doing anything "illegal" and then using it in multiplayer) then it's justified. I've cheated before, but all within legal limitations. I've given myself Rare Candies, turned on the "Master Ball" cheat while in the Safari Zone, and gotten myself some perfect-IV monsters that way. Everything's legal, so I have no qualms about it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    As long as you personally feel that cheating is justified (and as long as you're not doing anything "illegal" and then using it in multiplayer) then it's justified. I've cheated before, but all within legal limitations. I've given myself Rare Candies, turned on the "Master Ball" cheat while in the Safari Zone, and gotten myself some perfect-IV monsters that way. Everything's legal, so I have no qualms about it.

Exactly. Since perfect IV Pokemon do exist, 'cheating' is essentially speeding up a boring process.

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
  • As many have stated, it depends.

Back in the Gen III days, me and my friends used to hack 999 rare candies, and level up our Pokemon to level 100 with them (all of them). we also hacked rare legendary Pokemon. Back then, there was no online play. It was jsut us playing one another, usually via Colosseum or Gale of Darkness. It was fair because we were all doing it, and were all in agreement with it. Hacking stuff and making them super strong and then taking them online is just wrong though. I seriously have no respect for anyone who cheats online.

Back