• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Are Reshiram and Zekrom too easy to catch?

What should Reshiram and Zekrom's catch rate be?

Votes: 18 34.6%

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • I want to see your opinions about the fact that Reshiram and Zekrom are made extraordinarily easy to capture. Their catch rate is 45, where the highest possible catch rate is 255. The higher the number, the easier to catch that Pokemon. With a catch rate of 45, the same as a Deino, if you throw a regular Poke Ball at Reshiram or Zekrom at full health with no status ailment, the odds of success are 5.9%. Sounds low, until you consider the fact that most legendaries have a catch rate of 3, meaning in the aforementioned circumstances with one of these Pokemon, the chances of success are 0.4%. This applies to the Legendary Birds, Mewtwo, Legendary Dogs, Ho-oh and Lugia, Legendary Golems, the Beldum Chain, Rayquaza, etc. etc. etc. Volcarona is 3 times as difficult to catch as Reshiram and Zekrom, with a catch rate of 15. Basically, do you think that Reshiram and Zekrom should be given the difficult catch rate of 3? Discuss!

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2011
    I would say no, because catching a ledgedary is hard at times so I think the game makers did that to make it it easier to catch. I my thoughts, it saves time.

Dragonite's Wrath

Dragons are my Heart and Soul
    Years
  • continuing from person above me...
    not sure about B/W, but in D/P/Pt, when you get to the legendary, your team is all beat up. After fighting Cyrus/N, your team is so damaged, it would be unfair to make you try and catch a Legendary with a catch rate of 3. But it would be funny to see.
    Oh, and Reshirem/Zekrom arent necessary. I'm being totally serious here. There are some ppl who will fill up every storage box, so they cant catch the legend. And they will do that because they so desperatly want a shiny Reshirem/Zekrom.(and they have no life) Because the chance of them being shiny is 0 on 1st encounter. 2nd time you fight them, shiny chance is 1% - 5%.

Last edited:

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • I think there supposed to be easy because there part of the story.

Unlike Emerald where they are not needed to carry on the storyline.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    continuing from person above me...
    not sure about B/W, but in D/P/Pt, when you get to the legendary, your team is all beat up. After fighting Cyrus/N, your team is so damaged, it would be unfair to make you try and catch a Legendary with a catch rate of 3. But it would be funny to see.

You have a chance to go all the way back to the Pokecenter before you fight Reshiram/Zekrom, so your team isn't beat up at all. You have to catch the legendary before the battle with N as well. And N heals your Pokemon just before the final battle with him. :P

I think 15 would be a good catch rate though. 45 matches the general simplicity of the gameplay in the main story, but 3 is way too low if you want to get past that part and finish the story.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It can't be riduculously low (like 3) because you do need it to progress in the story. And I've never been the type to complain about easy captures, lol. Especially when I get frustrated at the idea of wasting Poke Balls to catch the other legendaries.

45 as a catch rate is fine, given the cuircumstances of how it fits into the storyline.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think in the third game they probably will. However, as others have mentioned, the catch rate of 45 is fine for the story as it is. Infact, it probably would've been better if you didn't have to fight to get the legendary and that it just came to you, which would make N's and Ghetsis' reactions more interesting. Cause with a catch rate that high, I don't see why you have to capture them, other than it being "tradition".

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • I consider it an anti annoyance feature. I mean seriously, think about it! Would you really want to spent three hours catching your legendary and having to battle both N and Ghetsis immediately without saving?

NTA

Where?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2012
    Says i already voted... I honestly don't remember
    33.3% for all the choices lol...

I think 45 is a good choice unless they weren't needed for progression :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2011
    I personally don't mind a good fight when i'm trying to catch a legendary, it makes catching them a bigger accomplishment!
    45 is much too high, 3 is too low for the circumstance.
    I think that 15 would be optimal for these Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Going with some posts here, GameFreak made Reshiram's and Zekrom's catch rates 45 for a reason: because you need to catch them to proceed and people wouldn't like wasting 3+ days trying to get a Pokemon just to continue the story.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I like it. Firstly, it's a compulsory capture (As much as I love Lillipup abd Purrloin, I'm not filling my boxes with them).

But what I think the most important point is that Reshiram / Zekrom chose you as a "hero".
    Unlike Dialga etc. who battle you out of gratitude for saving them from Cyrus or something like that (only for you to then capture them and if you're like me dump them in the PC for all of eternity), in Gen V your legendary actually comes alive in order to support you in the fight against N.

I know Ho-oh / Lugia are also meant to have chosen you (with a little help from the Kimono Girls), but Reshiram / Zekrom are different - they're seeking battle partners, not opponents.

Years
  • Well, I'm part of the lame group that uses a Master Ball to catch my game's legend, but if you think about it, your legend vs. N's is a minor plot device in itself, so I'm assuming Game Freak made this so, so that the player could experience the climax in full. I agree with Amore, though, you caught Resh/Zekrom to fight alongside you, not to stop it from causing destruction, like you did with Groudon and Kyogre.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Are you sure it wasn't like -45. D8 I found them impossible to catch. -3- I ended up killing it, because I waisted about 100+ Ultra balls on it. ): I didn't want to use my Master Ball, I'm saving it for Thundurus. [Who I still don't have. <_<]

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • I find myself agreeing with Amore; they're a compulsory capture for those who don't fancy filling nearly 24 boxes with random Pokemon, much to my dismay, as I actually was going to try and leave the capture of them until later, but when you fill in the initial 8 boxes, only for that figure to then double on you, you kinda lose interest in doing so.

I thought the box limit didn't increase until after the main story ended and the National Dex was given to you (which would make sense, considering the fact that you're given the option of skipping the capture of Reshiram/Zekrom to try your luck later), but I guess not. Were the capture rate any lower, you would see infinite annoyance across the board; the near-impossibility of capturing them, coupled with the near impossibility of skipping them until later.

As Amore said, the whole deal revolving around the mascot Legendaries is different from before, with them reacting to the player, recognising them as a 'hero', but wishing to test their resolve; truly see that they are the chosen 'hero' they had long awaited when turmoil once again roared across the land. It's one of the things that, along with the story leading up to the finale, made me really enjoy the games more than previous Generations.

...but yes, I'd say that their slightly-larger-than-normal catch rate is fine, considering their role.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I would have liked to see a little more challenge with catching my Reshiram. However, as stated before, because of the part they play in the storyline, it's allowable. Besides, some legendary Pokemon are hard to find, let alone obtain. So they kind of counter one another (granted, as long as your only valuing these Pokemon for their catch rates).

Then again, it all depends on who you have in your party and how you use them. I had an extremely hard time catching Kyurem just because I didn't have any Pokemon with status effecting moves. It was a pretty novice mistake on my end, but some people would state otherwise on Kyurem's catch rate, I'm sure.

But Reshiram/Zekrom's catch rates are fine respectively. Maybe not everybody's personal preference, but I'm sure no one is mad about catching those cool guys.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • Personally, I believe it to be easy. Although this is mainly due to the use of the Master Ball. Oh, well, people like saving their master balls for other Pokemon of importance.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I traded over plenty of Dive balls from Black to White. I wanted to catch Zekrom in one. I felt mighty stupid when I caught him first try around yellow health. I was expecting a showdown. :(

Back