• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Are they Legendary Dogs or Cats... or Gerbils?

What kind of animal are Entei, Suicune, and Raikou?

• Cats

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Gerbils

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Dogs

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in thread)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    *shrugs* Who knows?

No, really, who does? Well... okay, okay, Game Freak would know, but do you see any o' them in this forum? *looks about* 'zactly.

Anyway, although I call them "Legendary Beasts" for simplicity's sake, I do like to think of them as cats.

Entei = Lion
    Raikou = Tiger
    Suicune = CHEETAH heck yeah!

But there isn't anything official on what they were based off of, I don't think, so get ready to watch the usual "cats vs dogs" arguements.

Zephyr the West Wind

Still a newbie. -_-
    Years
    Personally, I like to think of them as the "Legendary Beasts" as well. Although, DGexe does have a point; Entei does look very much like a lion. And Raikou does resemble a tiger...Not so sure on Suicune being a cheetah, though.....

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    well Suicune is the only one that looks like a dog to me, entei is a lion (OMG THE CIRCLE OF LIFE!), and raikou is a sabertooth. Legendary beasts?

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    DGexe said:
    Entei = Lion
    Raikou = Tiger
    Suicune = CHEETAH heck yeah!

That's exactly what I think. I never called them Legendary Dogs because it bugged me that Entei looked like a lion and Raikou is definitely based off a sabertooth tiger. I personally think that Suicune has some wolf like features, but that's just me.

I call them Legendary Beasts. There's a little bit of both cats and dogs in the Beasts. It's like the freaking Eeveelutions.

But they're definitely "beasts," so that's what I'll call them.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Well considering my Official Strategy guide for G/S/C says there dogs I'm going with that so yeah. (Don't know why I have this guide, I think this is the first time I have used it.)

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
    I always said they were dogs just because when I played I heard that's what they were, whether or not it's true I dunno.
    I still think there dogs :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Entei if you squint, can possibly be one of those long haired dogs. Raikou I can't really see as a dog, and Suicune is a mix between a cheetah and a wolf.

So I like to call them beasts, just to settle the matter.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
    This is what the third time I've seen this thread? Seriously, what is so controversial about this subject that people need to keep bringing it back up? Well back on topic I think raikou is the only one who really looks like a cat to me, and entei's face is too flat to really be anything real, most people say suicune is a panther but I don't really see it so I'm just gonna go with gerbils.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    They're based on real life legendary creatures, Aterui, raiju and Fujin; this is backed up by both their looks and their abilities. Making Entei based on both a lion and a dog, Raikou on a saber-toothed tiger and Suicune based on a wolf.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    They are usually referred to as dogs. They dont look like dogs. I agree they should be called beasts. :) wow that's really interesting Myles. I had no idea. I just love how all pokemon have a background.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    They are dogs. Read their PokeDex entry.
    Watch the anime.
    Read the manga.
    Pay attention to the games.

THEY ARE DOGS.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    In my opinion this is a bit of a silly question. They are simply "Beasts". I understand your natural curiosity, but in my opinion they are niether. They're more like Foxes (Yes I know those are in all technicallity wolfs, but...) where you can't quite tell. It's a bit inbetween.

I don't remember where I heard it from, but I once heard they are the revived spirits of Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon. Anyways, it's just an odd and rather silly topic. And they literally can't be dogs or cats. They're Pokemon.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    In which of any of those are they referred to as dogs?

Well Entei is said to make "barking" sounds. But Both Entei and Raikou look more feline than canine. I'd say the most canine looking one is Suicune.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They're simply Pocket Monsters to me, same as every other noteworthy creature in the franchise.

Back