• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Are they Legendary Dogs or Cats... or Gerbils?

What kind of animal are Entei, Suicune, and Raikou?

• Cats

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Gerbils

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Dogs

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in thread)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Some old guy in Eckruteak city
    Speaks of them
    this is what he says
    " one day nearly 50 years ago
    this city was blessed with three dogs who ran around it protecting us
    but they ran off as the tower the lived in burned down
    no-one has seen them since"

So the are dogs

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Technically, they're dogs, but their sprites appear more feline'ish.

Entei looks like a dog; Raikou is more of a cat, and Suicune is a dog.

As stated above, a man in Ekruteak describes them as dogs, too, so there's no better supporting evidence / proof than an in-game old guy.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2014
    I don't really think much of it, but if I'm not mistaken, I read cats and dogs came from the same animal. Maybe they speculated what that animal looked like and then created Pokemon from that?

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    In-game old guy is full of truthfulness! :pink_disbelief:

But yeah, I think they are dogs.

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
    I think they are 'beasts'. They are all a mix of cat and dog. Entei looks like a lion in the face, but is more bulky, so its body is like a dog's. Raikou looks like a tiger, but Suicune looks like a dog, yet it's swift and elegant like a cat. So a mix, perhaps?

Eagledelt

=)?
    Years
    I think they are dogs. I am portuguese, and in the portuguese Pokemon Episodes they are called "Cães Lendários", which means Legendary Dogs. Lugia has his 3 Legendary Birds and Ho-Oh has his 3 Legendary Dogs ^-^
    This is my opinion ;)

Years
    Raikou is a tiger. Look at the stripes.
    Entei is a lion, due to the tell-tale mane.
    Suicune is where I'm confused, though. I reckon it's a panther of some sort, or probably the only dog.

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 32
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Everyone I know calls them the "Legendary Dogs", but I've always thought they looked more like cats.

"Legendary Beasts" makes the most sense to me.

Celest8

Lance/Wataru's Stalker
    Years
    ^ Agreed. Raikou's design is a dead giveaway. Especially it's gigantic sabre teeth.

Entei clearly looks like a lion, and Suicune, like everyone else, I am confused with. It looks a tad more like a canine to me.

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 32
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Entei clearly looks like a lion, and Suicune, like everyone else, I am confused with. It looks a tad more like a canine to me.

That's true.
    But now that I look at Suicune again, it almost resembles a spotted hyena w/ an exaggerated mane.
    Legendary Cats?

Celest8

Lance/Wataru's Stalker
    Years
    But now that I look at Suicune again, it almost resembles a spotted hyena w/ an exaggerated mane.

Agreed! Nice comparison. Take it's paws/legs into consideration as well; they're more slender like a canine's normally would be, whereas most big cats tend to have larger paws.

Raikou has...hooves? I honestly have no idea what they are. xD

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 32
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Agreed! Nice comparison. Take it's paws/legs into consideration as well; they're more slender like a canine's normally would be, whereas most big cats tend to have larger paws.
    I actually saw a small pack on the road a while ago; that's where I first got the idea. Hyenas, at least the ones that you see from time to time in an urban setting like my hometown, have significantly smaller && more slender bodies, && that trait is found in their legs as well.

So I think we've got it. Suicune's a weird water hyena thing.

Raikou has...hooves? I honestly have no idea what they are. xD
    I think they're exaggerated claws. Either way, Raikou's always looked more like a cross between a sabre-toothed tiger && a cheetah.

My friends have always called them the "Groothonde" (Big/Legendary Dogs), but in my opinion, Entei's the only one that even somewhat resembles a dog.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    There Cat and Dog Like.
    Ive always heard people say The Legendary Dogs.
    Entei is a Dog
    Raikou is a Very Wild Looking Dog
    Suicune is a Dog
    I Think There the Dogs.

Celest8

Lance/Wataru's Stalker
    Years
    I actually saw a small pack on the road a while ago; that's where I first got the idea. Hyenas, at least the ones that you see from time to time in an urban setting like my hometown, have significantly smaller && more slender bodies, && that trait is found in their legs as well.

So I think we've got it. Suicune's a weird water hyena thing.

Alright, then that's what I shall classify it as from now on, since that makes the most sense. =) Take away the maine and all of the other extra designs on it's back, and I definately agree that it resembles one.

I think they're exaggerated claws. Either way, Raikou's always looked more like a cross between a sabre-toothed tiger && a cheetah.

My friends have always called them the "Groothonde" (Big/Legendary Dogs), but in my opinion, Entei's the only one that even somewhat resembles a dog.

Prefect on that one. Couldn't have said it any better.

As for Entei, I agree that the face could definately resemble that of a canine. The mouth, especially. It looks like a cross between some kind of dog and a lion, which is strange...but works. xD

Back