• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are we all equal?

Magik?!

Georgums.
Years
  • I think that equality depends on ability and what you do with it, not on gender/race/disability/religion/any other factors.

There are people from both genders who have changed the world, for better and for worse (although the worse all seems to be men xD), but both genders have the capability to do most things to an equal standard. Though, there is a reason that there is a division between men and women in sports - men are physically stronger than women, so they're not equal in that area. But to balance out the fact that men were the hunters, women are able to give birth (I know, great right?). As far as intelligence goes - I believe that as an average, men and women are equal, it's just that men are more likely to voice their opinions or theories while women are generally more likely to take a backseat, and yes I know that's our own fault, but it doesn't make us stupid.

As for race... No matter what you believe (the Big Bang-evolution theory or a creation story), I think most things show up that the human species started somewhere in North Africa - meaning we were most likely not white before we started emmigrating and stuff. By the same measure, I don't believe that white people are any worse than other races. It's only the individuals that give whites a bad name. Again, I think that it has nothing to do with skin colour, shape of face or whatever... we're all the same species and we all have different capabilities. Just because someone's Asian doesn't mean that they're good at maths (I know plenty who aren't), the same as just because someone's white doesn't mean they want to take over the world and make everyone else their slaves. It's to do with individual people's work ethics, moral beliefs, upbringing and about a bazillion other factors as to what they're good at or not.

As for disability... I guess it depends what type. Obviously someone who is paralyzed is not physically equal to an Olympic athelete, but by the same measure, things like Aspergers have been strongly correllated with high intelligence. Even mental illnesses such as Bipolar Disorder (manic depression) are thought to increase the percentage of the brain used at any one time.

Religion... ahhh. A sensitive subject for many people I've seen on here. Religion shouldn't make a difference to the way anyone is treated, but as we can see from various societies and incidents, it does. Personally, I'm 'religionless' (not atheist, nor agnostic... just don't follow a specific religion), so I dislike the fighting over minor differences in beliefs, but at the same time I understand how people have complete faith in their god and believe that they are worth fighting, killing and dying for. I think that people can have equal morals, whether they follow the same religion or not. Not killing is hardly something exclusive to one religion, everyone gets taught the same thing if you go to a basic level: Treat people how you wish to be treated.

As for schools and stuff, I believe all students should be treated equally, but that equality should be shown by pushing the students to their highest level. I'm right at the top of my year in most subjects, but I don't feel any superior to those who are at the bottom of the year, so long as they try as hard as me. For people who just bunk class and don't bother, then get low grades... yeah, I guess I feel better than them because I can't help but think that if they behave that way when they get a job etc, then they're screwed. So I feel better than them. But those same people will probably be better than me in sports, or computers, or music or whatever, so again it gets evened out.

All in all, I'll stick with my beliefs that it all depends on what people do with the abilities and circumstances that they get, and how they react to things. I would like to say that I think all people are equal - and indeed they are in some respects - but it depends what you are measuring for equality.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • I agree with you on some points, but you seem to have contradicted yourself a bit. By what you said, if said murderer believed they sane and better than everyone else, then they would be sane better than everyone else :\
    Ah, yeah. But usually murderers don't think like that. Some people murder out of blind rage, or even jealousy. Obviously if you murder someone you're not better than anyone else, no. That's too serious to think like that.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • This thread is really kind of scary. You people are either seriously self-loathing or just outright hateful. Try turning that frown upside down and think a bit brighter for a change. Have some optimism; it doesn't hurt anybody to think positively.

Yes, I think we're all created equal. We're all blank slates when we're born. Who one chooses to be is up to the individual.

People with certain disabilities should be treated differently, of course. Each according to their needs.

Why should they be? Why is it necessary? A disability is something someone is born with; rights and respect are something you earn. Special treatment is something you ask for. Don't automatically assume that kind of thing, please and thank you.

EDIT: Aha! Now here is someone in this thread worth praise! The smartest one of the bunch.

Scarf said:
    What do material possessions have to do with equality? The question was "Are we equal?" not "do we have equal stuff?" People =/= things. That means money, status, muscle mass, intelligence or anything else you can put into numbers. If you say you think someone with Down syndrone is less equal you're judging based on some kind of reasoning or intelligence scale and would be ignoring, for instance, a person's capacity to love, which can't really be measured and is not at all irrelevant. You can't quantify people so there's no way to say that people (not things) are unequal.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • This thread is really kind of scary. You people are either seriously self-loathing or just outright hateful. Try turning that frown upside down and think a bit brighter for a change. Have some optimism; it doesn't hurt anybody to think positively
    Boy, are we sorry for expressing how we feel. And how does thinking everyone is born equal optimism? It's just a feeling towards a subject on a Pokemon forum.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • Boy, are we sorry for expressing how we feel. And how does thinking everyone is born equal optimism? It's just a feeling towards a subject on a Pokemon forum.

The vast majority of the posts in this thread are either "oh woe is me, I don't have enough stuff" or "hell no we ain't equal, I'm twice as awesome as the dumb punks in my hood" or "hurp durp africa monkeys".

One could gather from reading this thread that this is quite a grim Pokemon forum.

Seriously, what's wrong with thinking we're equal? What do people things - statuses, wealth, material objects - have to do with who we are as human beings when we're born? Further, how do they affect the feelings we're capable of? Has everyone lost sight of what it means to be human? Because money and clothes and even disabilities have nothing to do with it.

But anyway, I updated my last post with a nice quote so I guess it's not all bad.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • The vast majority of the posts in this thread are either "oh woe is me, I don't have enough stuff" or "hell no we ain't equal, I'm twice as awesome as the dumb punks in my hood" or "hurp durp africa monkeys".

One could gather from reading this thread that this is quite a grim Pokemon forum.

Seriously, what's wrong with thinking we're equal? What do people things - statuses, wealth, material objects - have to do with who we are as human beings when we're born? Further, how do they affect the feelings we're capable of?

But anyway, I updated my last post with a nice quote so I guess it's not all bad.
    Yeah some of them are dumb, but you're just contradicting yourself now by making fun of them. You're not treating them equally.

I don't think anything is wrong with believing we're all equal, but I don't think we are. And because someone with all the wealth in the world is not equal to a bum on the street. They get treated differently, making them not equal.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • Yeah some of them are dumb, but you're just contradicting yourself now by making fun of them. You're not treating them equally.

I don't think anything is wrong with believing we're all equal, but I don't think we are. And because someone with all the wealth in the world is not equal to a bum on the street. They get treated differently, making them not equal.

I may be acting a bit smarmy, true, but it's late and I'm tired. However! I have said nothing of their value as human beings; I'm sure that one day, with a bit of effort and alot of magic, they could be productive members of society. I'm sure that they will be able to love and create and share and all sorts of wonderful things, just as you and I and Scarf too.

Making fun of them does nothing to limit their rights, but even if that were the case that's not the whole truth of the original post in this thread.

Do you think everyone on earth is equal, no matter what race, religion, sexuality, disability or gender, etc? Why or why not?

This is a question of human worth. Human value. What we are born into.

Should we all have equal rights too?

This is a question of human rights. How we treat one another. Equality laws, social castes and fair treatment.

Two very separate issues. I chose to address the former and only the former. I care not for addressing the latter.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • I may be acting a bit smarmy, true, but it's late and I'm tired. However! I have said nothing of their value as human beings; I'm sure that one day, with a bit of effort and alot of magic, they could be productive members of society. I'm sure that they will be able to love and create and share and all sorts of wonderful things, just as you and I and Scarf too.
    Meh, I'm tired too. Again, yes, they may be, but a lot of the time in order to get where you are, you have to work hard at a young age. People that live on the streets either didn't do that, or had everything taken from them. They end up relying on other people for their food, and their shelter. Does that make them any less of a person? In my eyes, no. They deserve every right another human being does, whether rich, poor, strong, weak, blind, or anything else. However, the rights society actually gives them is nothing of that sort.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Equality has nothing to do with social standing. Kid A is automatically not equal to Kid B at birth, and even before then. This term has been thrown around too much. .-. It's simple math. To be equal, they have to be the same. We are individuals. By definition we are not equal.

And no, nobody is 'better' in general than anyone else. It's not possible under any circumstances to gauge this. Therefore, we as human beings are better off ignoring the idea.

It is easier to gauge whether someone is better at something specific.

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • As many people have said, this idea of "equality" doesn't really exist imo because we simply are not equal. The whole "better or worse" thing is what the focus should be on.

While I really hate to say it, I do somewhat feel that people can't be better or worse than each other. I mean, take a kid who's good at everything and then a kid who's terrible at everything. This is a massive exaggeration, but I can't see how the first is not better than the second. I'm not trying to say that I personally am better or worse than anyone else. I just find it a hard concept to deal with, really... To me, it's always seemed that people can be "better" or "worse". Just my standing, though. Feel free to explain to me why I'm wrong, as I probably am.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013

While I really hate to say it, I do somewhat feel that people can't be better or worse than each other. I mean, take a kid who's good at everything and then a kid who's terrible at everything. This is a massive exaggeration, but I can't see how the first is not better than the second. I'm not trying to say that I personally am better or worse than anyone else. I just find it a hard concept to deal with, really... To me, it's always seemed that people can be "better" or "worse". Just my standing, though. Feel free to explain to me why I'm wrong, as I probably am.

we've established that we're all unique and our natural abilities vary, now ask yourself if one who is less able than others is less valuable than others.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nope.

People who do stuff and are productive are worth more than people who sit on their lazy asses all day and beg for money. If you make minimum wage you are worth more than the guy who is sitting on the corner of 5th and 37th begging for spare change.

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • we've established that we're all unique and our natural abilities vary, now ask yourself if one who is less able than others is less valuable than others.

Well that's the thing, really. My morals are screaming no, they aren't any less valuable, but logic is saying that they are less valuable. And I was never really one to listen to my morals in all honesty. Logic says that someone who can do more is "better" than someone who cannot perform at the same level, unless there's a very good reason such as disability or w/e behind that. I know it sounds harsh, but yea.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    People who do stuff and are productive are worth more than people who sit on their lazy asses all day and beg for money. If you make minimum wage you are worth more than the guy who is sitting on the corner of 5th and 37th begging for spare change.
    Well that's the thing, really. My morals are screaming no, they aren't any less valuable, but logic is saying that they are less valuable. And I was never really one to listen to my morals in all honesty. Logic says that someone who can do more is "better" than someone who cannot perform at the same level, unless there's a very good reason such as disability or w/e behind that.
    i think we're all equal in potential. people tend to make themselves worthless to society, but that doesnt make them worthless as a human being.

Back