• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are we alone in the Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    We aren't even alone on this planet with all the species of animals there are out there. I think it's incredibly foolish to think that we're alone in the universe. Anything foreign to us is considered to an alien, so while they may or may not be those sci-fi types of aliens you see in movies, there's certainly some other lifeform out there foreign to our world.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    I strongly believe that life exists outside of our tiny, insignificant part of the universe. There are an estimated five hundred billion galaxies, each one likely containing billions of planets. In fact, our own Milky Way contains an estimated 50 billion, 54 of which are in the Goldilocks zone. 54 planets that are in just the right place for life to emerge, in our galaxy alone.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    We look for aliens based on our criteria for life( carbon based life forms) but since universe is so big, we have no idea what's really out there. There could be millions of different alien species, some carbon based, some not. There could be life forms that can live in conditions we dont. Id say it is definately possible for life to exist outside Earth. It could be intelligent or not.

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
    Years
  • Given the number of galaxies out there, the existence of extraterrestrial life forms is almost definite. If I'm not mistaken there are 3000 visible galaxies that the Hubble Space Telescope discovered. Let's say there are 10 planets in each galaxy, and you're dealing with a grand total of thirty thousand planets. That's the number we've seen. The estimated number, I believe, was over 1 billion galaxies, making for a grand total of over 1 trillion planets.

My personal belief in it is this: there are indeed other life forms out there somewhere. Doesn't have to be humanoid or intelligent enough to create a UFO, but they do exist.

Shinkirō

蜃気楼 // Mirage
    Years
  • I for one am pretty partial to some of the ancient astronaut theories. I find them fascinating. Like how some of the oldest made mad structures on this planet - Like the fact the erosion patterns on the Sphinx are from water, not air- conflict with the traditional benchmarks of progress made by ancient man. There is a stone henge-esque building settlement in Turkey called Gobekli Tepe that dates to nearly 11,000 B.C.E. at it's most recently excavated layer, and it goes lower. Almost six to seven thousand years older than Sumer. It shows fauna not native to Turkey. I tend to think "The aliens helped them" joke is ironically plausible.

Years
  • Given the number of galaxies out there, the existence of extraterrestrial life forms is almost definite. If I'm not mistaken there are 3000 visible galaxies that the Hubble Space Telescope discovered. Let's say there are 10 planets in each galaxy, and you're dealing with a grand total of thirty thousand planets. That's the number we've seen. The estimated number, I believe, was over 1 billion galaxies, making for a grand total of over 1 trillion planets.

My personal belief in it is this: there are indeed other life forms out there somewhere. Doesn't have to be humanoid or intelligent enough to create a UFO, but they do exist.

What you're referencing is essentially the Drake Equation, yes.

tl;dr,

It's a long equation on the scenario you just mentioned that essentially mathematically proves the existence of extraterrestrial life.

guitargodd97

Video Game Creator
    Years
  • Scientist have already discovered that there are hundreds of planets in our universe alone that have the ability to support life. Whether they actually have life or not is unknown, but with hundreds of them having the ability to support life it would be hard to believe that none of them actually have life.

Plus there is the whole theory about there being millions of dimensions with millions of outcomes. So if there isn't other life out in space, there is in another dimension.

Lord V-Man

Casual modder
    Years
  • Assuming the universe in infinite (well... that is quite the assumption isn't it?...) the chances of anything happening is also infinite. Everything will happen and everything has happened. Even when the universe is slightly less infinite (?) you will most definitely find "life". Most people assume life to be only capable to exist under our own conditions (absurd amounts of oxygen (that stuff is lethal you know) and a somewhat stable climate), why couldn't there be lifeforms who require a lot of sulfate to live or lifeforms that can only be defined by an abstract term like "a live color"... Some people find it difficult to accept outer-space life, because they can't fathom certain abstract principles. Think outside the box and your possibilities are endless...

becca2012

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2012
    The universe is so vast that it's surely possible there are some sort of lifeforms somewhere else.. As for whether we'll ever know or to come in to contact with them is another thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back