• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a boy or a girl?

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    I'm probably going to play the female protagonist for once. I've never played the game with the female characters and most of the recent male characters are samey.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I'll be most likely picking male cause I'm a male myself. But I'm on high hopes that the female one looks good.

Years
  • Unless the male character looks like a zombie or something, I'll probably be picking him for whatever version I get. I've only played as the female character once actually, and that was only after I'd beaten Sapphire a few times, and wanted the novelty of my rival being named Brendan.

CrowSvenson

DarkTrainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 24, 2016
    Both, for different versions.

Sonny for the guy in Sun, and Luna for the lady in Moon.

Because, you know, creativity.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'll keep with my tradition of playing the female avatar but if the designs do finally come out and the female avatar doesn't look the part, I'll be a male this time.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Unless the male character looks like a zombie or something, I'll probably be picking him for whatever version I get. I've only played as the female character once actually, and that was only after I'd beaten Sapphire a few times, and wanted the novelty of my rival being named Brendan.

I would totally pick the male character if that were the case. I mean how cool would it be to play as a zombie? :D

But for serious, like several people here, I normally pick the character of my own gender on my first playthrough. On later saves I just pick whichever I feel like.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • It would depend if my brother plans to buy one of the versions or how good the design of the female protagonist is going to be.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I always pick the female protagonist because it helps me with immersion, regardless of whose design I prefer. Since lately they've been including the unused protagonist as an NPC in-game, it works out either way because I'll get to see them somehow.

As with all NPCs, I'm looking forward to seeing the new protagonists. I hope we get some official art soon!

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I got some idea for the names of the female trainers that may be picked.

For Japan they could go with Mizuki as placeholder.
    From Japanese 美 (mi) "beautiful" and 月 (zuki) "moon". It can also come from 瑞 (mizu) "congratulations" and 希 (ki) "hope".

The official name may end up being Tsukiko.
    From Japanese 月 (tsuki) "moon" and 子 (ko) "child".

In English they got Luna who is too obvious, Lucine and Selena ( Kind of too close to Serena ).

There's maybe other names that could fit.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I always play as a male, regardless of playthrough it is since I identify as such and its easier to immerse myself into the game that way with a silent protagonist. If by chance, we get a non-silent protagonist, I may try out the female POV for once.
    Or if the design is that much better~

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It would be great if by default the female would be dark skinned or tan to break with the usual fair-skinned trainers. Also getting white hairs or silver hairs would go well with it as default.

Lunalie

Years
  • Depends solely on which one looks better.
    If history repeats itself, probably male. Although I did prefer the female character in X/Y so who knows.

Actually, now that I think about it, probably female and name her Luna.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Yeah, I'm still standing my case that I'm most likely picking male because in real life, I am a male. But I am on high hopes that the female will have a good design.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • As I always play as the Female Character in the Pokémon Games I will pick them. I hope character customisation remains even if it is just an option to change say hair colour.

The male characters have looked similar to other for a while now hopefully he has some variation similar to how the female characters all have different designs.

Back