• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a boy or a girl?

KittiOcelotti

"Smell ya later!"
Years
  • It depends on the design, although I doubt that the male design will look that appealing (they usually look plain in contrast to the female design and aways have the the same hair colour (with the exception of Gold, whose hair was a navy blue colour.)

Lately (Gen 5 and onwards) the character designs look like they came straight out of Code Geass (Noodle People) , which bothered me a little. I hope they'll be given proper body proportions this time, or at least slightly more realistic proportions.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I usually play as a male but I'm expanding my horizons now seeing as the female character have a lot better costumes on XY. It all depends whether they bring back customization.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • It really depends on the design of the male at this point cause I'm just tired of playing as the same looking male every generation. But if the male actually has a nice ,not boring design then I'll go with him.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Always depends on the design for me

Years
  • It really depends on the design of the male at this point cause I'm just tired of playing as the same looking male every generation. But if the male actually has a nice ,not boring design then I'll go with him.

I agree. It is kinda disappointing that we had three consecutive male protagonist designs (Hilbert in BW, Nate in B2W2 and Calem in XY) who all had brown hair and wearing blue in their outfits. I feel like Brendan and even Ethan/Gold were the only uniquely designed male protagonists, but I do hope the designs can pick up more in terms of design.

At least the females have more diversity in their designs. Now we just need Game Freak to improve the males.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • *implements "other" option considering the amount of people who classify as other genders these days* XDDD

Really though it all comes down to what they look like, but I'll most likely play as a boy.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • The only reason I wouldn't play as a boy is if the character's design was really stupid, but hopefully they'll amp up the character customization this time so that that's no longer a valid concern.

Years
  • The only reason I wouldn't play as a boy is if the character's design was really stupid, but hopefully they'll amp up the character customization this time so that that's no longer a valid concern.

Or if customization doesn't return, they might actually put effort into the male trainer design.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • As for me, I might probably pick as male protagonist again as per my usual tradition most of the time when I picked according to my gender in real life, even though I might play as both whenever I got both versions.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Usually, I end up getting both versions. So I play both, haha.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • I only picked female in gen 2 and 3. Didn't like the designs of most females afterwards. I wanted to pick female in gen 6, but because of the customization I picked male because I wanted to run in a suit.

Last edited:

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • I never understood why some individuals didn't always go with their real gender but, after reading all of your posts.. I understand now. Makes sense lol

I'll go with Boy.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Most times I always play as the female player, so on my first run that is who I will choose

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • I will be doing what I normally do and choose the male character as I feel more involved and actually feel like I'm in the game when I pick my own gender. But if I get the other version as well I'll be either gender as my second version of a region is generally for nuzlocke, speed run's or challenges

Back