• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you looking forward to the Royal Wedding? Or are you waiting for it to be over?

Years
  • As you know, the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton is due to be taking place tomorrow.

I was listening to the radio this morning and the presenter had a phone-in that asked "What are you doing on the day of the Royal Wedding?" and some people called up saying they're going to watch it and celebrate, and others want to get as far away from it as possible.

A little while after some calls, there came a caller from Milton Keynes called Melvin. He is absolutely DISGUSTED with the Royal Wedding and even went as far as to blow over live on radio then hang up!

You can listen to this angry phone-call from this morning's radio program here: https://bit.ly/lXPezl

What about you guys? I know that this is an event happening here in Britain, but I'm hearing whispers that the American media has been paying just as MUCH attention to the hype as the British media. So I'm just curious to know...

Are you looking forward to the Royal Wedding? Are you keen to know every little bit about the British aristocracy?

Or do you not give a care? Do you think it's a load of old toosh and you're quite frankly disgusted that this is even being discussed so much on American TV or wherever you are around the world? If so, why?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I know it is bad, but I couldn't care less. I understand that it is a big part of our history, but I just think the money could be spent on so many more important things. I think, and don't quote me on this, but there is oing to be about £60-£70 million of total cost, that is for police protection, accommodation for all the guests, since they are staying in a 5* hotel and so much more.

I have never been a fan of a system where you are better than someone because you have been born into a family. I know that is 'just how it is now', but it still annoys me.

Also, I just listened to the Melvin recording and my God, he was angry. I can understand and respect his opinion, but I dislike it when someone gets so angry and worked up over something like this, that they just come off stupid and unable to listen to anyone else's opinion.​

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This is certainly talked about a lot in Australia. And by Australia I mean the Australian media. >_<

Sure, it's good for them that they are getting married and all I'm sure, but I'm not that interested, nor do I care much about the royals to begin with (or well, at all) but the pandering done to them by the media is certainly a bit saddening.

Although I'm not quite as, uh, outraged by it as Melvin is. =p And if anyone knows who The Chaser team is I am somewhat interested to see their presentation of the whole thing. ;p

MELVIN IS DISPLEASED BY THIS THREAD OOOOOOOOOH ROYAL WEDDING ROYAL WEDDING

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'm more looking forward to Nica's birthday rather than the Royal Wedding. I don't really care about weddings, especially ones that are on the news all of the time.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • This is certainly talked about a lot in Australia. And by Australia I mean the Australian media. >_<

Yup. We're a nation possessed! Though most people I know don't care at all.

I certainly couldn't give a damn. Happy for them, but I'd like to watch real news.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Honestly, like most other news, I haven't been paying attention to it. Good for them to finally get hitched, but I do have more pressing things to concern myself with.

One thing that struck me is that Kate shares her last name with my 11th grade chemistry teacher 0_O

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I really...don't care. I remember seeing an advertisement here in America for a 20 dollar coin commemorating it. Really?

Edit: As in, the coin cost 20 dollars. I don't think it can be used as currency, it was a collector's thing.

Years
  • Na, I just wamt to see what her dress looks like. The Royal Family annoy me. If Diana was still alive, I'd be interested, but NO. I felt like Diana was a wonderful example of what Royalty should be like. I feel like they are just 'priveleged' and no more important than anyone else.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Wow... that Melvin guy, huh?

I don't care about the wedding and, maybe it's just selection bias, but very few people in my social group care at all. And those that do care are mainly concerned about what sort of dress Kate will be wearing. People are predicting it to be the biggest watched event in the world and... maybe it will be. All I'm saying, though, is that I won't be surprised if it's not.

Now, I'mma go out and get me a crapload of these:

Spoiler:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I wrote a poem about the Royal Wedding :)

How much I care about the Royal Wedding
    By Impo

The End !

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This isn't to do with the actual reigning monarch so it's not an event I care to follow.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Well, while I am happy for them, I couldn't care less. I think American media shouldn't be paying attention to that; we have bigger issues to tackle.

I honestly couldn't care less, even if it were the Queen herself getting crowned/married! \

Do I hate all that attention they're getting? No, but I think the media needs to be slapped for hyping things that shouldn't be hyped, and this isn't just the Royal Wedding either...there's a lot of things the media hypes/blows out of proportion.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't even live in the UK, but it's taking over our media, and I'm tired of it. I mean, I do not care. It has no bearing on my country, and little bearing on any other. So I'm pretty much dying for it to be over with so we can free space for good TV and newspaper articles again.

Also, nice save by the radio presenter, trying to make a laugh out of Melvin getting annoyed, so as to avoid the station getting in trouble. Had he not done that, things could have gotten messy.

Years
  • I'm so sick of hearing it about it. I hate the media for making a big thing about it when few people really care.

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner the monarchy are gone the better, they serve little or no purpose in today's world. Frankly, I would care the same about the wedding of two random people I've never heard of.

ZeviL

Nihilist
    Years
  • Most people from where I live don't even know them and I wouldn't even care if they passed away. I apologise for being brutally honest.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm much fascinated by the royal family and what happens in the UK, but I can't afford to stay up all night just to see the wedding live. (heard most of the networks here are going to start coverage at 2 am, or worse 12 am. O_o). I'll be DVRing the coverage, thank you very much. I can't afford to pull an all nighter on a school night.

Years
  • It's all over the media here as well, but no one else seems to care a lot, except waiting-room-magazine-addicted old women maybe. In fact, the only mention of the wedding from outside the media I saw was a reader's letter in the newspaper complaining about the hype and how obsolete monarchy is. I agreed with it.

Back