• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you more vulgar in person or online?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Spoiler:

I so read that with a voice in my head and I laughed hard at the end. xDDD

If I don't cuss people will think there's something wrong with me. I swear like a sailor and that's just the type of person I am. So have a great fucking day...or else!

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Huh I actually don't know! I think in-person but I am definitely not a saint online either. Most of my friends swear like there is no tomorrow so it influenced me a lot but I don't swear around my family ever. I think I hold myself back on the forum specifically too, including messages here but I have 0 problem swearing in DMs or on the server even. Honestly the more I swear around someone, the more comfortable I am with them. :')

Years
    Uh....I sort of curse at most people when angry including authority figures. I need to stop.

Cursing online? Yeah I do it, but I think i'm worse in person and am very embarrassed about it. Too embarrassed to be honest. I wish there was a stop button that automatically can be pressed in my brain before I impulsively say things. :( Can anyone relate?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    eh, I'm about the same. I believe that just because you aren't physically present, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to present your best or most authentic self.

Years
    I am told that I am very proper, both in person, and online. I don't cuss out people for sure. Now in the comfort of my home I might mutter a curse under my breath, usually when I am quite frustrated, trying to carry something, and dropping it, oof sh--! Or maybe I will save the language for the television i.e "Oh, the villain this episode, she's a b**ch!" My language is still pretty vanilla though. It only passes as vulgar because my online presence is even more wholesome, and I'll say things like gosh and heck. I feel awkward typing anything much stronger than hell or damn, unless I am writing dialogue for a character in story. Course language is not something that I think makes me sound good, so I am more conscientious of not using it if I am writing a message to another. A swear word is usually something i say in the heat of the moment, and conversation tends to flow less spontaneously, and more in a cool, rational way when I am communicating online.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Avoids vulgarity online and offline. Frowned upon it in childhood. Associated it with extreme anger over time.

Carries less impact now. Hears it in contexts besides that. Reserves it for the original scenario still, however. Would likely occur offline, if so, due to being an immediate, emotional response. Cannot recall the last time writing or saying one out loud, though. Guesses it to have been part of a name.

Gravitates towards sillier replacements. Adopted "carp" instead of "crap" (sometimes), for example. Picked up "Rage!" and (the now less common) "Curses!" similarly.

Years
    Offline for sure! I would have already been banned here if I didn't pull it back. I don't actively try to upset people and I don't use slurs but I also don't censor myself and the overlap of the Pokemon community and trigger happy cancel culture communities seems quite high.

Years
    Avoids vulgarity online and offline. Frowned upon it in childhood. Associated it with extreme anger over time.

Carries less impact now. Hears it in contexts besides that. Reserves it for the original scenario still, however. Would likely occur offline, if so, due to being an immediate, emotional response. Cannot recall the last time writing or saying one out loud, though. Guesses it to have been part of a name.

Gravitates towards sillier replacements. Adopted "carp" instead of "crap" (sometimes), for example. Picked up "Rage!" and (the now less common) "Curses!" similarly.

Funny, I would get grounded if I even said "shut up" but my dad is a dumb fat **** so I guess I just swung pretty far in the opposite direction.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I rarely swear online and offline. I'll swear to express frustration or I'll use swear words when the less vulgar versus doesn't make sense (calling something cool/awesome as... bad-butt lol). I was raised in an angry household so I tend to associate swear words with extreme anger.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    My mom doesnt swear at all so I kinda didn't at first and I still don't when she's around. It's pretty common to swear living in South American countries, though, so it's just natural I got there lmao

I definitely swear more online than irl. Not having people around me to hear at all the shit I say gives me the chance go all out. Barely, because there's also the common sense part that kinda stops me once I find myself going overboard.

Lady Bisharp

Blue noodle enthusiast
    Years
    • She / They
    • Spain
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    I try to avoid swearing both online and irl, but it's less about where I am and more about what kind of people I'm around. For example, I prefer being polite to most people in general if I'm not close with them, but if I'm friends with someone, I'll definitely be more comfortable swearing around them (unless they tell me they don't like it).

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't think I'm much of a vulgar person generally in person or online unless I'm high on emotions.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    I'm not at all vulgar, online or in real life, even though I've grown up with lots of swearing and some vulgar television (Family Guy, South Park etc. - I blame older brothers haha). I don't mind when others swear as long as it's not directed at anyone, but I just prefer to keep my language clean and polite. I feel very uncomfortable swearing lol.

Years
    I'd say I'm much more vulgar in person than I am online. It's just much easier to read the room in person than it is online.
    There's a running joke that my partner and queer friends have where if someone does or says something in relation to their sexuality we'll ask them if they're "one of them there queers" or throw a slur in there. We all find it hillarious, but if I were to do it online who knows who could stumble onto it while they're in a bad mood and be upset by the use of language.

pkmin3033

About the same, really. I use different swear words more online compared to irl though - I somewhat consciously censor myself online, but not to the point that I'll cut it out entirely. I don't really consider these words to be vulgar - context and intent is more important than what you actually say, at least for things like this. Obviously that's not a universal truth, but I've never really been offended by words like this.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The way I converse on PC is pretty much the biggest extend of swearing I have both online on irl. That is to say: not a lot. irl even less because I barely talk if at all.

Back