• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arizona Rep Gabrielle Giffords shot.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Arizona Rep Gabrielle Giffords shot.

Don't Retreat. Reload.

:\ It begins.

That website is referring to Congresspeople that they wish to defeat in their re-election bids.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • That website is referring to Congresspeople that they wish to defeat in their re-election bids.

Well, that's obvious. The reason this map is showing up (aside from a person that was almost assassinated being on it) is because of the crosshairs. People are just highliting the fact that politicians are getting more and more violent in their rhetoric.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point. First off you took out the "Most of her followers" to make the quote fit the message you wanted to send. So right off the bat you're embodying the Faux News way. Second off I said "If it turns out" which in no way is a definitive allegation. So in two instances (i.e the majority of your post) you failed to quote me properly and responded to statements that I didn't make.

Seriously, this is sad. You don't even realize it do you? You don't realize that you're ponying the same tired old tricks of Fox News.

So to sum it up:

If you choose to place yourself in that category, that's on you. I said "most of her followers".

What does CNN have to do with this conversation?

Nope. No, I'm not. I never once said he had anything to do with Palin or even any Republican/Conservative/Tea Party organization. I said that "If it turns out he's a part of..." and that's as far as I went. So again, wrong.

You willingly placed yourself in the group of the first quote of this post. That is absolutely shocking.

Sorry man, really didn't mean to get into a fight or anything. Before we got all off-topic and started butting heads over politics, it was you and your liberal friends that first made the connection from the shooter to Sarah Palin, which I was merely trying to disprove. It's a ridiculous notion. And let me just point out that it wasn't me who started insulting other people or other news stations. That, my friend, was you.

Let's not go down this road. We clearly have different views. I don't think you're ignorant or stupid, and I hope you think the same of me. We're just on radically different locations of the political spectrum, which is fine.

That website is referring to Congresspeople that they wish to defeat in their re-election bids.

Precisely, but you know how the media is going to spin it, lol.

Years
  • Lets behave ourselves everyone. A disagreement over politics, and senseless arguing over such a stupid reason is in itself stupid. So cool off.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • They're even talking about the incident here in Europe. I don't really have an expansive knowlege on American politics but I can agree that it is unacceptable and disturbing.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well the shooter has been formally charged with the crime, and the Death Penalty is on the table. Which raises another issue entirely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12148761

But from what I've heard, Giffords is supposed to make a full recovery, which is miraculous considering her injuries.

If it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he indeed is responsible for those 9 deaths, then I have no objections to him being executed.

Years
  • If it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he indeed is responsible for those 9 deaths, then I have no objections to him being executed.

Well the problem is that the suspect is rumored to be a schizophrenic and/or mentally ill, and his defense attorneys can play on that by pleading insanity or incompetance as a way around the Death Penalty. Instead, he'd be shipped off to some Asylum or mental hospital. :/

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Well the problem is that the suspect is rumored to be a schizophrenic and/or mentally ill, and his defense attorneys can play on that by pleading insanity or incompetance as a way around the Death Penalty. Instead, he'd be shipped off to some Asylum or mental hospital. :/

That's what a trial is for. A jury of his peers will judge the claim and decide if he is legally insane, or if he has the diminished capacity to face punishment, but not the death penalty.

Most people who are found not guilty by reason of insanity for a political assassination never see the light of day as they are kept in a mental asylum for life.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Well the shooter has been formally charged with the crime, and the Death Penalty is on the table. Which raises another issue entirely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12148761

But from what I've heard, Giffords is supposed to make a full recovery, which is miraculous considering her injuries.

That's insane. The person that helped her out on the scene should be given a medal and the doctors that worked on her should be given medals as well. A full recovery, looking at what was done to her, sounds impossible but I hope she makes it. From everything I've read she's a strong woman.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • It's just sad. No one has the right to attempt to end another's life. Absolutely no one. And I hate hearing of females dieing. I prayed she would survive, heard she was dead and got upset, then heard that she is still alive but in a critical condition and I praise God! I hope she survives and there is nothing wrong with her seeing as a bullet went through her brain. Also, poor 9 year old girl who died, I should have prayed harder for the other victims :(

And LOL, Palin's in trouble...

Last edited:

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • I live in Tucson so I was really saddened to hear this. Gabriel Giffords has faced some opposition as most politicians do but nobody hated her or held it against her for saying what she believes in. I hope she gets better and continues pushing for a better Arizona.

Years
  • President Obama himself said it. "Don't use this tragedy as an excuse to turn on each other and place blame" to paraphrase him. Basically, don't insult their memories by adhering to the same old political bullcrap.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    this isn't a political showdown, this is a tragedy. i'll say it right now- I do not like Palin... at all... but i do not believe that she intentionally wanted people to die. it's not like palin is staging a coup d'etat

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • Huh? What does Sarah Palin have to do with ANY of this? :/ Man. I hate how people overreact sometimes...

This guy who shot Giffords and all those other people...I don't care what happens to HIM, really. I just want to know why he did it; how on EARTH he was able to. All the focus goes to putting him away "so something like this will never happen again." :P Putting one guy away won't fix anything. We should figure out why and how he did it in the first place. Then limit those possibilities so, well, no one else can do it.

But no, it's MUCH easier to keep putting them away over and over and over again, right? No one wants to figure out WHY and HOW these people keep running amok. :/

Bela

Banned
    Years
  • "Political point-scoring," as President Obama put it, is to be avoided in the face of this tragedy. However, this does not mean we should seek inaction in light of this shooting.

As this video shows, there is a case to be made that a correlation exists between violent rhetoric from both politicians and media alike and instances of actual violence. Prior to the shooting, Congressman Giffords herself said of the controversial gun sight graphic, "When people do that, they've got to realize that there are consequences to that action." You may disagree that A causes B in this case, but A, the violent rhetoric, is simply irresponsible and repulsive in and of itself. Is it really too much to demand of our media and elected representatives to tone down their rhetoric, lest it be considered insightful of violence?

Years
  • Huh? What does Sarah Palin have to do with ANY of this? :/ Man. I hate how people overreact sometimes...

This guy who shot Giffords and all those other people...I don't care what happens to HIM, really. I just want to know why he did it; how on EARTH he was able to. All the focus goes to putting him away "so something like this will never happen again." :P Putting one guy away won't fix anything. We should figure out why and how he did it in the first place. Then limit those possibilities so, well, no one else can do it.

But no, it's MUCH easier to keep putting them away over and over and over again, right? No one wants to figure out WHY and HOW these people keep running amok. :/

Well, some people directed blame at Sarah Palin, because of that poster featuring "bullseyes" over Democratic-held congressional seats, including Ms. Giffords district.

I think you should care about what happens to him. He deserves just punishment for what he did, to the highest extent of the law. How and why people do these heinous things is important, but that's only half the equation. Preventing disasters like this is a higher priority, because it will save lives.

Back