• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Art Style

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • A few people have told me that they have dropped or series or looked over one just because the art style didn't appeal to them. This made me curious because I don't normally take art style into account unless it is especially obnoxious to look at (ex: Meganebu!).

So, does art style matter to you? Will you drop/pass up on a series because of it?

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Yeah, sometimes when a series' art style doesn't appeal to me I just dropped it at the first episode.

I can't force myself to try and enjoy something that I don't like. If I were to be forced to enjoy something with a horrible art style, it needs to have a good story behind it.

But that's just me. P:

Jabberwocky

A man ain't nothin' but a man
    Years
  • In a sense... I feel uncomfortable with art styles that emphasize fanservice or other unnecessary objectifying elements. High School of the Dead, for example. I can't handle that sort of series for long. Sometimes it's hard to love One Piece because of this :/

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Oh! I forgot to include this in the first post, but do you think you could provide examples with art styles that bother you if you can think of any? This is honestly just to satisfy my own curiosity, since I was really only bothered by Meganebu, haha.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I couldn't stand to sit through the first episode of Aku no Hana, because of how the art style looked especially when I read parts of the manga first. The rotoscoping was fine, but those character designs. ughhhhhhh.

But, I can still stomach my way through the art style if the story is interesting enough.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Art style doesn't really factor into my decision whether to watch anime or not, because even the shows with the best quality art will have moments of diabolical sloppiness/laziness, and I look for an entertaining story or cast when watching anime, not how pretty it looks. Some of my favourite shows were made decades ago (i.e. the original Gundam series) and, by modern standards, the art is absolutely dreadful. It doesn't stop them being great shows, though.

HeartCatch Precure is a good example of an art style that really bothered me, although I didn't drop the show because of it. Similarly, whilst I didn't care for the look of Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (the visuals from the earlier series fit the show much better, in my opinion) the material kept me watching it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Not drop it but I don't even start watching it.
    I survived Aku no Hana and that's all I want.

I don't mind SHAFT's style but if it's experimental that looks like crap, I don't even want to watch it.
    So yea, Art Style matters.

For example, I couldn't watch Ping Pong the Animation because of the art.

Years
  • I would be one of those people who judge series by their artwork \: It's not a matter of dropping the series, but rather not even giving it a second thought in that case. For example (actually, it's kind of hard to pinpoint one right now), a generous amount of shounen series have absolutely no appeal whatsoever to them, in my perspective. To name a random couple that I found uninteresting just based on pictures on MAL: Great Teacher Onizuka, and Hajime no Ippo are the types of art style I turn my shoulder to. No matter what someone tells me, whether it's an amazing series, putting aside the art style, I would not feel inclined to watch it unfortunately...I'm quite judgmental when it comes to choosing which anime series to watch :c

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I like a certain art style, but just because a manga/anime doesn't have an art style that I like it doesn't mean I won't continue to read/watch it. That's just being rude to the creator. You're not going to read/watch their stuff and support them because you don't like their art choices? That's just upsetting really. I mean even if I don't a manga's/anime's art or story even I'll still read or watch it just to show some respect to the creator, I'll still give it a chance to try to grow on me. It's not easy to do those things, even some of the minimalist styles take a lot of work to make a page, and I can't draw at all so I'm going to appreciate and show my respect to them for taking the time and effort to create it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Is a bit of a turn off when the main character looks like Shoe or Kirito. I like my main characters to have at least something to set them apart from the crowd design wise, having two swords doesn't count. That being said Kirito's LN design is ever so slightly less dull iirc.

I'm not very fussy.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I'm bugged by Ping Pong Animation. I only watched the first episode, and it was mostly like these tumblr gifs:
    Art Style

Art Style

If it looks rather dated simply because it was made in 200X or earlier, I'm patient with the series. Otherwise, I'm mostly expecting eye-catching anime.

one piece

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • To name a random couple that I found uninteresting just based on pictures on MAL: Great Teacher Onizuka, and Hajime no Ippo are the types of art style I turn my shoulder to.

I'm not a fan of those kinds of art styles as well. :/

I like a certain art style, but just because a manga/anime doesn't have an art style that I like it doesn't mean I won't continue to read/watch it. That's just being rude to the creator. You're not going to read/watch their stuff and support them because you don't like their art choices? That's just upsetting really. I mean even if I don't a manga's/anime's art or story even I'll still read or watch it just to show some respect to the creator, I'll still give it a chance to try to grow on me. It's not easy to do those things, even some of the minimalist styles take a lot of work to make a page, and I can't draw at all so I'm going to appreciate and show my respect to them for taking the time and effort to create it.

The problem is that on normal occasions, an anime can't grow on you if it has an art style that doesn't appeal the watcher's tastes. If it does have that sort of art style, it goes down story.

I myself don't like semi-realistic art styles and ridiculously huge eyes. However, SnK and Clannad managed to gain my interest because of its content instead.

If it looks rather dated simply because it was made in 200X or earlier, I'm patient with the series. Otherwise, I'm mostly expecting eye-catching anime.

I was actually tempted to watch because dude, it's Ping Pong! But then I saw the art style and I went like: I don't think I can like this. The art style isn't eye-catching like how it's normally at the year 201x. :/

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I would be one of those people who judge series by their artwork \: It's not a matter of dropping the series, but rather not even giving it a second thought in that case. For example (actually, it's kind of hard to pinpoint one right now), a generous amount of shounen series have absolutely no appeal whatsoever to them, in my perspective. To name a random couple that I found uninteresting just based on pictures on MAL: Great Teacher Onizuka, and Hajime no Ippo are the types of art style I turn my shoulder to. No matter what someone tells me, whether it's an amazing series, putting aside the art style, I would not feel inclined to watch it unfortunately...I'm quite judgmental when it comes to choosing which anime series to watch :c
    What's bad about GTO's and HnI's art styles?
    That they are older series?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • That sure as hell does not look dated and it it most certainly eyecatching through being different. I take it you prefer the kawaii uguu or soulless SAO look.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • GTO and Ippo's styles are fine, come on. That's taking spoiled to a whole new level. ;p I mean, I'd understand Ping Pong and Aku no Hana. But these?

Anyway, I can adjust to almost anything as long as content delivers. Just now, I caught up to JoJo Part 3 anime. Each part had a different art style and each is SOOOOOOOO different from modern anime styles it isn't funny. But I like all of them a lot! It took some time but it grew on me. :3 Part 2 and 3, especially, look great. Part 1 looked good sometimes. Weird some other times.

Years
  • What's bad about GTO's and HnI's art styles?
    That they are older series?

Well aside from that, I think it might be because of the contrast between colours, and the lines \: It's hard to explain what I look for in regards to anime art style but, (I'm not an art student by any means) the lines in those series kind of bother me; there's a stark contrast between them and the colours. And yes, I know that anime environments are supposed to have lines. Speaking of which, the colours in those series are too "heavy," for lack of a better word. Like I said, it's hard to formulate a proper way of explaining what I mean :c

GTO and Ippo's styles are fine, come on. That's taking spoiled to a whole new level. ;p I mean, I'd understand Ping Pong and Aku no Hana. But these?

These 2 series for me were cringe worthy. The story in the latter seemed interesting though, from a psychological standpoint, but I dropped both the anime and manga.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2023
    I don't like some art styles, but I still stick to them when the rest is good
    for example: Ping Pong the animation

Penelope

fluffy Flaaffy
    Years
  • I used to read things made by CLAMP when I was younger because it was all I could really get...looking back at the crazy long limbed people...yeah. ugh

Years
  • There are some series with really "generic" anime styles that don't appeal to me at all. K-On for example as well as Soul Eater Not!, especially since the latter was not at all true to the style of the original series. I mean..

Spoiler:

Agh, it's hideous. :////

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • There are some series with really "generic" anime styles that don't appeal to me at all. K-On for example as well as Soul Eater Not!, especially since the latter was not at all true to the style of the original series. I mean..

Spoiler:

Agh, it's hideous. :////

It really is !! I much prefer Soul Eater's animation to Not's, it look so odd and cutesy, but I guess that's probably the point since SE has a much darker tone than Not's. But I'm still watching it anyway D:

Back