• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash is retarded.

kabigon

My body is always ready.
Years
  • I was looking arund on bulbapedia and I found out that ash has only caught abut 9% of the existing pokemon. What ever happened to "Gotta catch 'em all!"? He doesnt even catch most wild pokemon he encounters. I thought good pokemon trainers are supposed any new pokemon they see. I remember one ep where he found a half dead zapdos on the floor, nursed it back to health, and let it go. I was like WTF is wrong with you! U let a ZAPDOS go!?
    Gawd ash sucks.

suicidesal

GirlWithTheMostCake
    Years
  • If he "caught them all" he would be unable to form mellow-drama bonds with his pokemon, I mean even with pokemon he has gotten, he clearly doesn't care about as much as he cared about his butterfree... I don't really watch the show anymore but I'm sure he did not run through the forest crying when he got rid of his totadile?
    So it emphasizes the of the earlier games were Gary and Rival in GSC only used their pokemon to fight and always lost to you, the trainer who loves and cares about your pokemans, maybe?

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • Well if he caught every pokemon he saw then it would be a very boring show then don't you think?

Well try to remember that the 'Gotta catch them all' was just some catch pharse to get the show going. I don't think they ever said something about it in the show and really it kinda better if they didn't.

As in Ash. I don't think he is what you said he is. Actually it kinda like one of the most realistic things in the show. Teeheehee I mean do you know how hard that would be to do in real life. Also Ash is just like that. His character is set to where he doesn't want to take advantage of a fallen pokemon like that nor does he care about catching Legendaries. If he did then he would have caught one by now but he hasn't.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Why do u think that phrase is not used these days anymore. Also I do Agree that Ash deserves to have atleast one legendary, Im thinking Suicune.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Actually, my boyfriend has almost every single Pokemon on his Diamond version, including legendaries. And he didn't cheat either. o__O (The only time I can think of when he kind of cheated, was when I gave him Serebii and I had cheated to get it).

But yeah, the show would be totally dull and predictable if we knew he would catch every Pokemon he saw. This makes him getting new Pokemon exciting in the anime because he doesn't always get new Pokemon when he finds them. So I think it's good he hasn't caught them all yet. x__x;;;

-Neko

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • You're picturing Ash as more of a Paul/Shinji. Ash isn't some power hungry freak who trains Pokemon just to win, he wants to befriend his Pokemon as partners. That's one of the main point of the shows, it teaches you how important friendship is. In almost every time Ash catches a Pokemon, there was an in-depth story involved in it. The Pokemon became friends with Ash, and only after that would he catch it.

Originally Posted by Miss Reyna
    As in Ash. I don't think he is what you said he is. Actually it kinda like one of the most realistic things in the show. Teeheehee I mean do you know how hard that would be to do in real life. Also Ash is just like that. His character is set to where he doesn't want to take advantage of a fallen pokemon like that nor does he care about catching Legendaries. If he did then he would have caught one by now but he hasn't.
    The best reply so far.

The point of the Pokemon shows is to teach you a lesson through story, since it aims to more of a younger audience. The main lesson it teaches you is friendship. You shouldn't take advantage of your Pokemon, because it wouldn't be right.

... otherwise Paul/Shinji is his competetion, and you've already seen how much his Pokemon like him (not very much).

Ash isn't retarded. He's very wise in his choices actually.

Years
  • I was looking arund on bulbapedia and I found out that ash has only caught abut 9% of the existing pokemon. What ever happened to "Gotta catch 'em all!"? He doesnt even catch most wild pokemon he encounters. I thought good pokemon trainers are supposed any new pokemon they see. I remember one ep where he found a half dead zapdos on the floor, nursed it back to health, and let it go. I was like WTF is wrong with you! U let a ZAPDOS go!?
    Gawd ash sucks.

its not about catching them all now that line was dropped a few years back and it would be so boring if he caught like every pokemon he saw. and about the zapdos thing ash is a good trainer as he would rather nurse it back to health then take advantage of it and catch it lolz and i dont think hes bothered about catching legendaries either

Növa

öööööööööööö? ?öööööööööööö ööööö
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2008
    Ash + Nosepass + Skitty + Smeargle + Dunsparce = No.

Some Pokemon just arent fit to be told what to do. A lot of them would be draw-backs for the show and would just prolong the storyline.

Would you rather have Ash catch a Dunsparce then fight with it for 10 episodes trying to get it to listen to it, then have Japanese writers find out the public doesnt think its funny and remove Dunsparce from the anime completely like they did Porygon or simply continue the path they've been going.

Its all about money. You need to get the publics attention, not just have a boy wander out into grass for an entire episode catching abra, sandshrew and ekans.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
  • People claim it would be hard for Ash to capture so many Pokemon, but Gary somehow managed to pull off getting 200 Pokemon in Indigo and he rotates them frequently. Of course, legendaries are out of the question.

But yeah, if he did catch so many Pokemon, I can just imagine all the fan complaints about the many more "shafted ones".

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    The show is reppetative enough without Ash catching a new Pokemon each episode, plus these days he makes stronger type alternate teams which is better than have "ubers", It would be stupid to watch him wander around with a Moltres and Rayquaza, wheres the challenge there?

The line "Gotta Catch Them All" was dropped in 2003 anyway, so its hardly important now.

kabigon

My body is always ready.
    Years
  • Yknow I find the show quite boring now as it is even though ash doesnt catch everything he sees. The plotlines are uninspired, and the charachters in every ep are monotonous. seeing team rocket every single ep doesnt help either, especially since they stopped being entertaining 7 years ago for me.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    "Gotta Catch 'em all" is dub-only and was a catchphrase just to promote the series (and that ended aaages ago), it wasn't in Japan. The closest thing is "Pokemon! Getto da ze!" which was at the start of the 1st Japanese opening and just means "Get Pokemon". He said "______ getto da ze" whenever he caught a Pokemon.

I knew I'd be the one to ask, but does the title seriously have to be "Ash is retarded"? ...well, it fits in with kabigon's style, I suppose...haha.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • Ash can't capture ANY legendaries because wouldn't that wreck the balance of nature in the show or something? Besides, if he did capture any of the legends he'd already be a master right off the bat-no point to the show.

And like others already said, the "Gotta catch em all" was just in the dub. They don't call him Satoshi Ketchum in Japan, do they? :laugh:

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    All main characters are brain dead, or at least a good percentage. It's the way most of these anime's go. They live and learn, except Ash hasn't been learning anything ;_;

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I've noted that time and again ^^ I mean, the Pokemon show has been running for at least 9+ years, (jes, I was around when I saw the very FIRST dub episode of Pokemon, lol) and so far... Ash has only `caught 36+ fully evolved Pokemon (sans Haunter, Lapras and others) and a whole herd of Taurus. Still, it would be a great twist if Ash wins the Pokemon League and the commentator asks Ash, "Great score! Now how many Pokemon did you manage to catch after all those time?" and the reply!

Oh yes, and it wouldn't be as emotional if he didn't develop a personal bond with his team. Plus with 400+ Pokemon, wouldn't he just leave them at Oaks Lab?? (thinks of all the Pokemon left there) 0_o

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Yeah, I skimmed through the thread and didn't really read it properly so if I said something that's been said before, ignore it.

I was looking arund on bulbapedia and I found out that ash has only caught abut 9% of the existing pokemon. What ever happened to "Gotta catch 'em all!"? He doesnt even catch most wild pokemon he encounters. I thought good pokemon trainers are supposed any new pokemon they see. I remember one ep where he found a half dead zapdos on the floor, nursed it back to health, and let it go. I was like WTF is wrong with you! U let a ZAPDOS go!?
    Gawd ash sucks.

Well, the tag line was only made to promote the anime when it was dubbed in English. There is no such thing as 'Gotta Catch 'Em All!' in the Japanese version of the anime. That complaint is more or less null and void because that tag line was halted ages ago.

Besides, Ash is meant to be the sort of character that young children look up to. You have Giovanni, who wants all the powerful Pokémon so he can rule the world whilst with Ash, it's not a priority to catch all of the Pokémon in the world, he just wants to bond with them.

Years
  • Ash, and the majority of Pokemon Anime characters are morons. This is a fact that CANNOT be denied. Looking past that however...
    What I fail to understand is how many pokemon he hasn't caught, considering how he wants to be the best. Emotionally bonding with his Pokemon is fine, they can stay on his main team. But still, it is just the fact that through FOUR regions, he has caught practically nothing. You don't have to emotionally bond with a Pokemon over 30 minutes of tedious kiddy drama just to catch it. You can emotionally bond with a Pokemon over 30 minutes of tedious kiddy drama to catch a Pokemon and have it become a regular on your team.
    Ash is a terrible trainer. Plus, how come he doesn't look any different to when he started? Did he ever pay Misty back for her bike? And wasn't he asked to fill out the Pokedex by Professor Oak?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    And to add another opinion of mine on; there is no surprise whatsoever that Ash's behaviour can't be classified as genius-like. Think about it, he left his town to go on a journey at the age of ten. I doubt he would have received any proper education before he left and therefore his brain isn't as developed as other's.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • I doubt he would have received any proper education before he left and therefore his brain isn't as developed as other's.

Hence why he keeps falling for Team Rocket's stupid disguises.

Roronoa Zolo

Three Sword Master
    Years
    Gawd ash sucks.

If you been following the anime, they drop the "gotta catch 'em all" theme when they created the third gen. pokemons.

Second Ash is currently focusing on training 6 pokemon at a time.
    Just look what happen during the Johto saga. Failure, a little character development, a little evolution, hence, i only remember Chikorita evolving during the saga.
    They made Ash get more than six pokemon and the consequences we get is, barely any evolution and no character development.

Just look at Hoenn/BF saga, they gave him pokemon that he can train, and which it evolves, look at it.
    he manage to evolve Taillow, Treecko, Snorount, phanhy into Swellow, Sceptile, Glalie, Donphan. All powerhouses. Thus, giving him time to develop them into real strong pokemons.

In Sinnoh
    He already got a full team.
    and were not half-way DP yet.
    With semi-powerhouses like
    Gliscor, Buizel, Chimchar, Turtwig and Staravia.
    If he manage to evolve even at least Buizel, turtwig/chimchar and staravia he can have a good Pokemon League Team.

And about the Zapdos one.
    Lemme ask you this, are you really going to take advantage of a hurt pokemon?
    I wont, and that what ash did, its not stupid/idiotic, its kindness and respect to the pokemon.

Back