• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's New Voice O.o

Midnight_Dragon249

AGUryuka/LOPvalkus/GUILxeros
    Years
    Sarah isn't the right person for Ash, because she like totally don't have the experience, and it's a big role for her to do. She have absolutely no emotion, and from some comments, her voice is being done by a synthesing machine. All the rest of the New Vas from other people comments are near the orginal, Sarah's is not, and she is like not improving enough to be like the orginal (Veronica).

I like don't watch the dub anymore because the quality of the dub went downhill and I only watch Japanese Episodes (mainly Diamond and Pearl series).

I don't see why they changed the VAs in the first place. It's just too wierd for someone who has watched the series simce it first hit the US, then all of a sudden the character's voices change. And the VAs for some of the characters are decent, but Ash's new VA. No, just no. Way too freaky.

...And I still find it funny that Ash is voiced by a girl. XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    OMG. Pikachu had its voice changed?? I thought they stuck to using the original Jap VA of Pikachu ? 0_0 If Pikachu's voice is really gonna be changed, I'm fainting, coz' that's like, my favourite voice in the whole series 0_0

Mystery Dungeon special. Y'know, the one where the Pokemon actually talked English.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    All the rest of the New Vas from other people comments are near the orginal, Sarah's is not, and she is like not improving enough to be like the orginal (Veronica).

It sounds kinda unfair if we demand that.. like what Miss Kon said earlier, everyone is uniquely different in their own way.. a voice of A's cannot be the voice of B's.. yeah.

Well.. at first when I started watching Pokemon, I found it funny too.. but as I watched more and more anime, it is really very very normal to have a female voice a male character.. so yeah.. it's pretty normal ;)

Mystery Dungeon special. Y'know, the one where the Pokemon actually talked English.

Oh.. I see.. No wonder I haven't heard of it before.. I have yet to find the download link and download that episode~ :P

Last edited:

Dark Quill

Shadow of a demon
    Years
    You can find the first few eps split into pieces on YouTube.
    It's an interesting innovation that they made it into part of the show, but.. well, watch, or hear, for yourself... if you dare XD

Ari-chan

hypnotizing
    Years
    I personally don't mind Ash's new voice at all. He aounds just fine to me. The only thing I think Sarah needs to work on though is emoting more. Her Ash so far is rather monotonic and thats the only thing that bugs the hell out of me about her voice. I hope she fixes it in the future, because she has alot of potenial to be a good voice actress and a good Ash.

Its not that uncommon really. Girls are constantly playing the roles of young boys. The reason being because young boys have higher voices then teenage and older men. It's easier for a girl to get that high voice needed to play a boy then a man trying to sound like a kid.

Netta

Hikari Ko
    Years
    It sounds kinda unfair if we demand that.. like what Miss Kon said earlier, everyone is uniquely different in their own way.. a voice of A's cannot be the voice of B's.. yeah.

Well.. at first when I started watching Pokemon, I found it funny too.. but as I watched more and more anime, it is really very very normal to have a female voice a male character.. so yeah.. it's pretty normal ;)

Oh.. I see.. No wonder I haven't heard of it before.. I have yet to find the download link and download that episode~ :P

I agree with the second quote. Think about it. Back before they invented television or even moving pictures, they had theators and the female characters were played by a male. Mainly because back than females weren't allowed to act let alone do anything except be a house wife and raise children. So why not reverse it in anime? Why not let the males be voiced by the females. It's rather interesting and I was blown away by having Ash voiced by a female.

Over all, I agree with many of the people who posted on the fact that they do grow older and thus voices do change. I remember, totally off the subject, they changed Serena's aka Sailor Moon's voice to be more annoying than before from the origional Sailor Moon to Sailor Moon S I think it was. I remember how everyone made a big deal and upset about the voice chance, but everyone grows up. Ash grows up as do Brock, (I still get a crack out of him every time I see him.) I haven't heard Misty's voice in a long while. But that's all I have to say about that.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    I agree with the second quote. Think about it. Back before they invented television or even moving pictures, they had theators and the female characters were played by a male. Mainly because back than females weren't allowed to act let alone do anything except be a house wife and raise children. So why not reverse it in anime? Why not let the males be voiced by the females. It's rather interesting and I was blown away by having Ash voiced by a female.

heh.. quite true. I once took part in the Singapore Youth Festival for drama, and I acted as a guy who died in the end. :P

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Hmmm... Sarah's Ash voice is good, but I do miss Veronica Taylor.
    She's my favorite VA. x3

Lavabyle

Merry Christmas!
    Years
    Now that pokemon isn't airing on 2 channels at once, i've almost completely forgotten what he used to sound like. It really isn't that bad, i mean at least they can still act. Altough, when i first heard it in the movie, i was like....dude.....what happened? Did he break his nose? So anyway i suppose most of us are used to it now =)

PokemonTrainerLisa

Ash fangirl
    Years
    Nope, I'm not used to this. And to be honest, I don't think I ever will be......

The problem is, there's TOO MUCH of a difference between Ash's original voice, and his new one. And that's one reason why I hate the fact that they switched voice actors.

You see, when you have a series that's been on the air for as long as Pokemon, you have a main character with an already established voice. Many fans, such as myself, are very used to this original voice and love it very much.

But when they do something terrible like this, and replace the voice actress for Ash with someone new like Sarah, you can notice a HUGE difference in the way she portrays Ash. Not only is there no emotion in the voice, but it's just too different from the original voice. It's so different that you can't even tell this person is supposed to be Ash!! Yes, it's that bad, in my opinion.

And basically, what I think Sarah Natochenny did was, instead of imitating Veronica's Ash (which is what she SHOULD'VE done), she did something completely different. She made Ash into a completely different character by giving him a new voice that doesn't match with his previous personality one bit.

That, in my opinion, is not something you can just do to a character. Especially not someone like Ash, who fans of the Pokemon anime have known for 8 years and 8 seasons. You can't take his already established personality and change it like that! You just can't!

That's why I think Pokemon USA made a terrible decision when they changed the voice actors and hired Sarah to play Ash. In my opinion, she's just not the right person to do his voice. She can't do his emotions whatsoever. And I always cringe whenever I hear Ash's new voice. It's that bad.

*hopes that they can get Veronica Taylor back for seaosn 10*

I really, really prefer Veronica Taylor.. the new VA never shows any emotion at all in her acting... it's like every line has the same amount of energy behind it. The character is just so different now... kinda bland D:
    I completely agree with you, RocketCat.

Veronica Taylor was the best person to voice Ash!!

And Sarah's Ash voice is just terrible. The voice has no emotion. In fact, I cringe every time I hear it.

I feel awful that they did this to Ash, the main character. It's such a shame. ;_;

When they promised us sound-alikes for all the characters, I thought for sure they'd get someone decent to do Ash's voice. But noooooo, they HAD to get someone with no experience in voice acting, and of course, someone who had never performed a male character's voice before. Gee, thanks Pokemon USA. -_-

The emotion does seem sad, and lost. Ash doesn't have the same enthusiasm he once did.
    That is so true.

I mean, if you compare ANY previous Pokemon episode (from seasons 1 through 8) to a Battle Frontier episode, you'll notice a huge difference between the amount of emotion Veronica put in Ash, and the amount of emotion that Sarah is givingh him.

With Veronica, Ash always seemed alive, like a real person.

However, with Sarah, Ash has no emotion in my opinion, so without any emotions, he doesn't seem like a real person. It's almost like Ash's great personality and everything I liked about him......it's all gone. And I'll never see it again.

I don't see why they changed the VAs in the first place. It's just too wierd for someone who has watched the series simce it first hit the US, then all of a sudden the character's voices change. And the VAs for some of the characters are decent, but Ash's new VA. No, just no. Way too freaky.
    Well, I don't exactly know why Pokemon USA decided to use new VAs. I've heard different things, like it was because they wanted to save money or something......

But I do know that the original voice actors were never approached by them, to work on season 9. And that's just sad.

The original VAs had nothing stopping them from retaining their roles. So technically, they COULD'VE worked on season 9. It's just the fact that Pokemon USA never approached them, or asked them about the job.

It sounds very sad when you think about it that way, the way that Pokemon USA treated them. It was so terrible.

It's just that, what's done cannot be undone.. we have to accept the new VA whether we like it or not..
    That is not true, miyo.

As fans of the Pokemon anime, we should have a say in what happens to the show that we watch, especially when it comes to making important decisions, like with the voice actors.

And as a HUGE fan of the Pokemon dub, I've decided to make a stand and prove to Pokemon USA that the voice actors do matter. They are not simply there just to be replaced like that, and discarded like they're trash. That's one of the many reasons why I'm a member of SOVA (Save Our Voice Actors). I believe that if the fans work together to right this wrong and correct Pokemon USA's mistake, then we CAN make a difference. We can actually get the original VAs back for season 10 (D/P). I know this, because I believe that in my heart, it is possible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Oh great, another MewSkitty...

Well, I don't exactly know why Pokemon USA decided to use new VAs. I've heard different things, like it was because they wanted to save money or something......

But I do know that the original voice actors were never approached by them, to work on season 9. And that's just sad.

The original VAs had nothing stopping them from retaining their roles. So technically, they COULD'VE worked on season 9. It's just the fact that Pokemon USA never approached them, or asked them about the job.

It sounds very sad when you think about it that way, the way that Pokemon USA treated them. It was so terrible.

4Kids had them under contract, which prevented them from doing it anyway.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
    That is not true, miyo.

As fans of the Pokemon anime, we should have a say in what happens to the show that we watch, especially when it comes to making important decisions, like with the voice actors.

And as a HUGE fan of the Pokemon dub, I've decided to make a stand and prove to Pokemon USA that the voice actors do matter. They are not simply there just to be replaced like that, and discarded like they're trash. That's one of the many reasons why I'm a member of SOVA (Save Our Voice Actors). I believe that if the fans work together to right this wrong and correct Pokemon USA's mistake, then we CAN make a difference. We can actually get the original VAs back for season 10 (D/P). I know this, because I believe that in my heart, it is possible.

Except if PUSA is as "evil" as you make them out to be, then there's no way that they'd listen to the fans. Based on this alone, your stance is contradictory and therefore false.

Luиαrglοω

Yuuko ftw 8D
    Years
    I *hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE*, you get the point, Ash's new voice. I think I stopped watching the show purely because of the *horrible* voices. May sounds...like...preppy...and Ash's voice just sounds so stupid. Like retarded stupid. He sounds like he has a speech impediment or something. Sorry if this offends anyone but EW. Ugh. Blegh. >_< I wish they wouldnt've changed it, there was no reason to and it'll just confuse the little kids that watch the show and piss off the rest on the fans. Like me, for example...

PokemonTrainerLisa

Ash fangirl
    Years
    Oh please, I'm NOTHING like MewSkitty.

I'm from Bulbagarden, by the way.

Actually, that was nothing more than a rumor.

And Maddie and the other voice actors have said that this rumor is indeed false.

Well, to be more accurate, it is true that they have a non-competition clause in their contract. However, that was NOT preventing them from working on season 9. Nothing was stopping the original VAs from retaining their roles, nothing. It was just the simple fact that Pokemon USA didn't approach them.

And also, I'm not sure if you know this, but the original voice actors are freelance meaning that it's possible for them to work for any company, not just 4Kids.

Except if PUSA is as "evil" as you make them out to be, then there's no way that they'd listen to the fans. Based on this alone, your stance is contradictory and therefore false.
    What are you talking about, Ichapokemr?

I never said that Pokemon USA was evil.

All I said was that Pokemon USA made a terrible mistake, and that mistake was replacing all the VAs.

Also, did you know that when the Legend of Thunder aired, 8 people sent letters to 4Kids about how badly it was dubbed (and how they made Hun a girl)?

Well, Maddie has told us that it's because of those 8 people that Harley was cast so well in the first place. You have them to thank for the fact that Harley's voice (I'm talking about his original voice) was such a great match for him.

Now do you see the point I'm trying to make? Despite what most people think, letters DO work!!!!!!

Ash's Pika Pal

some have to let go
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2007
    What do you mean? PTL is alot more different then MewSkitty.

Have at least a little hope and see what happens U_^.

Those contracts can be broken though.

If 4kids will let ether A or B happen then contracts won't be an issue.

A.) They would let PUSA pay them off and buy out the original V.As contracts.

or

B.) They nagociate or release the original V.As from their contracts in regard to Pokemon.

IMO Sarah needs to improve.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I'm from Bulbagarden, by the way.

Is that suppposed to mean something to me...?

I never said that Pokemon USA was evil.

All I said was that Pokemon USA made a terrible mistake, and that mistake was replacing all the VAs.

"Oh, they got rid of the VAs! They don't care about them! We need to get them back and blah blah blah blah"

...The message you're giving across, regardless of if you're aware of it, is that Pokemon USA is evil.

Also, did you know that when the Legend of Thunder aired, 8 people sent letters to 4Kids about how badly it was dubbed (and how they made Hun a girl)?

Well, Maddie has told us that it's because of those 8 people that Harley was cast so well in the first place. You have them to thank for the fact that Harley's voice (I'm talking about his original voice) was such a great match for him.

Now do you see the point I'm trying to make? Despite what most people think, letters DO work!!!!!!

To 4Kids. That, obviously, wasn't PUSA, or else we would still have the VAs. Count all of the letters sent to PUSA and compare it to the lack of original VAs and you'll get my point.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the original voice for Ash. I just get so annoyed about people whining about it AND I find it pointless to fight about it anymore--if we were going to get them back then we would have already.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    i agree i really just didnt like ashes new voice especially when i first heard it in the opening episode of the battle frontier season, i thought it was a terrible voice over, but quite a few episodes in it does not seem to bother me as much anymore although at times it does sound quite pathetic but we can live with it i guess.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2006
    To be completely honest, I didn't even notice it until about two days ago. o.O

Probably because I missed the 10th anniversary and all they hype about it. I dunno, I don't really like it now that I realize it's been changed, but I didn't (obviously) mind it before.

Even though the voices sound a little different, though, I think they're awefully close to the original, and that the new VA's should still deserve credit because they're still doing a good job.

Back