• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Personality in the B/W series (Best Wishes Series) *SPOILER*

Years
    Come on, it's not unrealistic. Sometimes when I'm playing the games, and I see a fairly low level Pokémon, I'll just throw a ball straight up and catch it successfully, without weakening it. It sounds stupid but I don't want to hurt it too much, feels too much like I'm forcing a creature to fight for me rather than having a "friend"

Knowing Ash, and how he has developed, he's more about loving Pokémon themselves rather than a wild battle. I wouldn't have wanted to hurt the Shikijika either. You can argue that "ASH LOVES BATTLES" but it seems like he's geared up by a battle against a strong trainer rather than a wild battle. When it's a wild Pokemon he just wants to catch it and have it as part of his team.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I like him having all the starters. Besides he is diffrent because he is on the otherside of the planet. So he knows nothing about the new pokemon or new moves.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    Who cares about the older fans? The show isn't aimed at us anyway. They're just following the games and their rinse and repeat strategy.

Originally Posted by JALEEMEE: The B/W saga is their biggest success in Japan so far

Do you have any proof of this?

https://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/pokemonds3/video/6280859/nintendo-conference-2010-presentation-english-?tag=videos%3Bimg%3B1

Your Proof. Please watch. (He begins talking about pokemon B/W first so you dont have to watch all 50 mins.) Pokemon B/W is the #1 selling pokemon game to date to far. Also, the age range has changed immensley with pokemon b/w. MAAAAANY more 18-23 year olds are playing the game now, as shown in the link. So the anime/games should be aimed towards the older generation now due to this huge uprise.

Years
    https://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/pokemonds3/video/6280859/nintendo-conference-2010-presentation-english-?tag=videos%3Bimg%3B1

Your Proof. Please watch. (He begins talking about pokemon B/W first so you dont have to watch all 50 mins.) Pokemon B/W is the #1 selling pokemon game to date to far. Also, the age range has changed immensley with pokemon b/w. MAAAAANY more 18-23 year olds are playing the game now, as shown in the link. So the anime/games should be aimed towards the older generation now due to this huge uprise.
    lolwut?

We are talking about the Anime, not the games. The Anime is aimed towards the kids, i.e. the target audience. Number of people playing the games has nothing to do with the Anime. The Anime has always been targeted towards the kids and I highly doubt whether that trend will ever change.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Before I respond to this, I want to thank you people for actually responding to my mega long post. I haven't made a post like that since before I was a Moderator so it's nice to see that people are willing to be wrong more often. I also wish to pass an anti-"Nyoron~" to Jorah who said that no one would read my mega long post but was wrong. Take that J.

Kirbychu said:
    I'm referring to the moment where Ash saw a Shikijika and immediately threw a Poke Ball at it. Iris had to tell him to weaken it. despite Ash catching Pokemon many times before. I suppose you could always argue that he simply forgot for a minute.

Then you see it my way. Good for you.

In the future they might want to try something new. Maybe they'll want to use an adult or a girl, or they might just get sick of Ash someday. I don't believe Ash is immune to replacement.
    Considering that hes never been replaced it doesn't look like it.

Do DP's amazing sales count?
    If they tell me the percentage of people who said they would not buy them but did anyway then sure. If not then stop wasting my time. It takes a while for me to answer to all of these messages after all.

Starter Pokemon of the same type tend to follow similar trends. It's nice to see some variety in Ash's Pokemon. I'd take a second crustacean over a third water starter any day.
    I don't believe that starter Pokémon follow these trends. If anything you could spot these similarities in all of Ash's Pokémon.

That feels unrealistic to me. You'd think he'd be more likely to catch the regional rodent or something. Meh, just my opinion.
    Your opinion is boring.

Bellacrose said:
    And I meant based on the opinions I heard from people who watched and reviewed those few episodes. Apparently it shows every day in Australia, but thats from those wiki sites and I was never too sure about it. And it never airs here anymore. :I

You should base your opinions on what you think.

And the target audience may have a problem with Ash, they may not.
    They probably don't considering there has never been a change.

I was just pointing out that from people who've watched the old episodes or are watching them if you consider people who may go back and watch old episodes, think he's a bit.. Predictable and stale now. xD
    He always has been, right?

Also a starter doesn't necessarily have to be important.
    They're advertising the games. That's why Ash or another more important character has owned the starters. Brock was really the only exception to this.

I guess I don't see why he can't use more normal pokemon you'd see and make them look special.
    Starter Pokémon seem to be normal Pokémon in the animé.

And Brock and his mudkip probably didn't get enough attention because Brock doesn't exactly shine in the battle spotlight often, unlike Ash who battles very often and Dawn and May who had a lot of contest episodes.
    Which is why Ash got them this time. Which is why Ash and Dawn received them in Sinnoh with Paul.

JAMEELEE said:
    https://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/pokem...deos%3Bimg%3B1

I was impressed for a second until I actually watched the video. I applaud your effort nonetheless. It broke the record for two weeks but it didn't state it about beating the total sales of anything pre-DP past those two weeks. It's the highest selling game for the DS but most games for Pokémon aren't no the DS.

Also, the number of kids seem to be equal to the number of 18-23 people playing in those two weeks. That gives no reason to change the demographic so radically especially since we don't know how this is faring now. Anyway, this video is only based off of two weeks of sales. If you can find anything more up-to-date i would be better for your argument.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Popping in to say that Ash throwing a Pokeball without weakening the Pokemon in BW wasn't the first time it ever happened, he did the same near the start of AG right after he had told May you need to weaken the Pokemon first, so May reminded him of that XD Whoever said that Ash is making the rookie mistakes because neither of the other main characters are beginning trainers is probably right.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    I was impressed for a second until I actually watched the video. I applaud your effort nonetheless. It broke the record for two weeks but it didn't state it about beating the total sales of anything pre-DP past those two weeks. It's the highest selling game for the DS but most games for Pokémon aren't no the DS.

Also, the number of kids seem to be equal to the number of 18-23 people playing in those two weeks. That gives no reason to change the demographic so radically especially since we don't know how this is faring now. Anyway, this video is only based off of two weeks of sales. If you can find anything more up-to-date i would be better for your argument.

Listen again. you werent paying attention. The PRESALES broke nintendo DS records with 1.8 mil. He later says "When the software was actually launched, Pokemon Black/White broke the first week sales record for ANY POKEMON SERIES TITLES." It also broke the record for sales in DS software and in first week sales in Japanese gaming history. This was with 2.55 mil. Secondly, the first week/two week demographic of pokemon b/w users is used as an example for the game's area of influence. Think about it. If you see an informercial and they say 30% of people the U.S. have herpes (random example lol). They dont actually question 100% of the United States and find out that data, thats impossible. Rather, they get 1000 random poeple, and if 300 have it, they use that as a basis for making that fact. SO, the huge number if 18-23 year old first week users is used as a basis for their estimated age range sales in the future. BTW the 18-23 year old range is actully a GROWING NUMBER (based on the previous sales of HG/SS). So more and more older people are playing.

THEREFORE, if they see such a huge increase over the last few years of older pokemon users, they definitely should think about making the series (or maybe even a new series for the older kids) revamped. You say "The series was never aimed for the older generation." well duh, thats because they older generation wasnt the majority buying their games. Now that the older generation IS the majority, it is somthing to be considered. Anime is a huge business, especially for the older generation, with series like Bleach and whatever the hell else people watch (I dont watch much anime). Making the series better for old and young alike would be the best option (and if you think about it, movies are this way, think about despicable me or Toy Story 3, they are fun for old and young alike.)This is deffinetley a long shot, and it wuold probably never happen, but it only makes sense business wise.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    JALEEMEE said:
    Listen again. you werent paying attention. The PRESALES broke nintendo DS records with 1.8 mil. He later says "When the software was actually launched, Pokemon Black/White broke the first week sales record for ANY POKEMON SERIES TITLES." It also broke the record for sales in DS software and in first week sales in Japanese gaming history. This was with 2.55 mil. Secondly, the first week/two week demographic of pokemon b/w users is used as an example for the game's area of influence. Think about it. If you see an informercial and they say 30% of people the U.S. have herpes (random example lol). They dont actually question 100% of the United States and find out that data, thats impossible. Rather, they get 1000 random poeple, and if 300 have it, they use that as a basis for making that fact. SO, the huge number if 18-23 year old first week users is used as a basis for their estimated age range sales in the future. BTW the 18-23 year old range is actully a GROWING NUMBER (based on the previous sales of HG/SS). So more and more older people are playing.

THEREFORE, if they see such a huge increase over the last few years of older pokemon users, they definitely should think about making the series (or maybe even a new series for the older kids) revamped. You say "The series was never aimed for the older generation." well duh, thats because they older generation wasnt the majority buying their games. Now that the older generation IS the majority, it is somthing to be considered. Anime is a huge business, especially for the older generation, with series like Bleach and whatever the hell else people watch (I dont watch much anime). Making the series better for old and young alike would be the best option (and if you think about it, movies are this way, think about despicable me or Toy Story 3, they are fun for old and young alike.)This is deffinetley a long shot, and it wuold probably never happen, but it only makes sense business wise.

I get what the video was saying. It broke pre-sale records and the record for two weeks sales. That doesn't mean it will break the record for most units sold or anything. You're trying to make it out to be the most successful Pokémon games ever when they're not at this point considering they've only been out for a few weeks. Really, stop blowing your evidence out of proportion.

Bleach is aimed at kids in Japan first of all. Anyway, if it was smart business wise then it would be done. They haven't done it for some reason or another so they must have something that we don't have.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    I get what the video was saying. It broke pre-sale records and the record for two weeks sales. That doesn't mean it will break the record for most units sold or anything. You're trying to make it out to be the most successful Pokémon games ever when they're not at this point considering they've only been out for a few weeks. Really, stop blowing your evidence out of proportion.

Bleach is aimed at kids in Japan first of all. Anyway, if it was smart business wise then it would be done. They haven't done it for some reason or another so they must have something that we don't have.

I deff think a strong start means somthing, I think nintendo feels the same way or they wouldn't have spent the time to computerize/place digital effects on the anime for B/W. They are making B/W and Best Wishes visually stimulating because its giving them a new market (in my opinion).They know they have somthing big this time. Ok Im tired of arguing with you thanks for the fight lol

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    JALEEMEE said:
    I deff think a strong start means somthing, I think nintendo feels the same way or they wouldn't have spent the time to computerize/place digital effects on the anime for B/W. They know they have somthing big this time. Ok Im tired of arguing with you thanks for the fight lol

I wouldn't call it a fight. More like a small disagreement. Though those digital effects were in DP too. Just saying.

Years
    I haven't made a post like that since before I was a Moderator so it's nice to see that people are willing to be wrong more often.
    You're right, our opinions are wrong, sorry.

Then you see it my way. Good for you.

I don't. I think Ash really shouldn't be making mistakes like that anymore.

Considering that hes never been replaced it doesn't look like it.

It's still possible.

If they tell me the percentage of people who said they would not buy them but did anyway then sure. If not then stop wasting my time. It takes a while for me to answer to all of these messages after all.

Then you're not getting any sort of proof out of me. Sorry, but this silly little argument isn't enough to get me to go out and look for people to vouch for me. You're not the only one wasting time on this.

I don't believe that starter Pokémon follow these trends. If anything you could spot these similarities in all of Ash's Pokémon.
    Not necessarily. Ash has caught a big variety of Pokemon over the years. He has quick maneuverable Pokemon like Pikachu, tanks such as Torterra, etc.

Starter Pokemon tend to learn similar moves which leads to them also having similar battle styles. For example, Chikorita had a battle style a lot like Bulbasaur's. If they decided to give Ash Torchic instead of Torkoal then Infernape would have felt a lot like a clone. Not to mention Torkoal's defensive battle style was a nice change of pace. The Mudkip family would have been pretty interesting to see, but Corphish was a nice addition to Ash's team nonetheless.

Your opinion is boring.
    I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that giving Ash the generic team of Pikachu, the starters, and the regional bird for the third time was a lot more interesting. Excuse me for wanting to see different Pokemon showcased more.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Kirbychu said:
    You're right, our opinions are wrong, sorry.

Yeah they are. Glad you see it my way again.

I don't. I think Ash really shouldn't be making mistakes like that anymore.

That's too bad then. Excuse him for being ten-years-old.

It's still possible.

And when it happens call me.

Sorry, then you're not getting any sort of proof out of me. I'm not going to look for people to vouch for such a silly little argument. You're not the only one wasting time on this.

Don't make the that statement if you can't find proof for it.

Not necessarily. Ash has caught a big variety of Pokemon over the years. He has quick maneuverable Pokemon like Pikachu, tanks such as Torterra, etc.

Are you arguing personalities or strengths?

Starter Pokemon tend to learn similar moves which leads to them also having similar battle styles. For example, Chikorita had a similar battle style to Bulbasaur. If they decided to give Ash Torchic instead of Torkoal then Infernape would have felt a lot like a clone. Not to mention Torkoal's defensive battle style was a nice change of pace. The Mudkip family would have been pretty interesting to see, but Corphish was a nice addition to Ash's team nonetheless.

I don't think you could say that Infernape would've been a clone since we don't know how Torchic would've been handled by the writers if they gave it to Ash.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that giving Ash the generic team of Pikachu, the starters, and the regional bird was interesting. Excuse me for wanting to see different Pokemon showcased more.

And they will get showcased by different trainers. Just because Ash doesn't have them doesn't mean they won't be showcased as much.

Years
    That's too bad then. Excuse him for being ten-years-old.
    That's not a very good excuse. Tons of ten year-olds across the world remember to weaken a Pokemon before throwing a Poke Ball.

Don't make the that statement if you can't find proof for it.

If you want it so bad, go out and look for people yourself; I can't be bothered to do that. Just because I don't have proof doesn't mean it's not true. You just aren't going to believe me.

Are you arguing personalities or strengths?
    Movesets and battle-styles, so yeah, strengths.

I don't think you could say that Infernape would've been a clone since we don't know how Torchic would've been handled by the writers if they gave it to Ash.
    It would have been inevitable, as long as his Torchic evolved. Infernape and Blaziken are ridiculously similar Pokemon.

And they will get showcased by different trainers. Just because Ash doesn't have them doesn't mean they won't be showcased as much.
    Actually yeah, it does.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Kirbychu said:
    That's not a very good excuse. Tons of ten year-olds across the world remember to weaken a Pokemon before throwing a Poke Ball.

Ash isn't one of those "tons of ten-year-olds" apparently.

If you want it so bad, go out and look for it yourself.

The burden of proof would be on you because you claimed it.

Movesets and battle-styles, so yeah, strengths.

Ah okay. well, that would depend on the design of the Pokémon so I guess it would be fair to claim that.

It would have been inevitable, as long as his Torchic evolved. Infernape and Blaziken are ridiculously similar Pokemon.

Strength wise sure but that isn't the only determining factor as to whether or not a Pokémon is similar to another.

Actually yeah, it does.

No it doesn't. There are other characters who can showcase these Pokémon as well. The rival, Gym Leaders, traveling companions, recurring characters, etc.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    No it doesn't. There are other characters who can showcase these Pokémon as well. The rival, Gym Leaders, traveling companions, recurring characters, etc.
    If I'm looking at this right, I'm pretty sure Kirbychu was commenting on your statement, "Just because Ash doesn't have them doesn't mean they won't be showcased as much."

If Ash had different types of Pokémon rather than the average formula he's had for the past thirteen or so years, then they would be showcased more in that saga than having it showcased by another character be it CotD, gym leader, Elite, and so on. He is the main character of the show, therefore his Pokémon are showcased more often in the show. Therefore, if he were given different types, it would give them a chance to be showcased more than his regular starters, region bird, and so forth.

Which in my opinion, would be a nice change and possible a new play on his personality in the show seeing as it wouldn't be the same tactics he's used to sending out.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Hiiro said:
    If I'm looking at this right, I'm pretty sure Kirbychu was commenting on your statement, "Just because Ash doesn't have them doesn't mean they won't be showcased as much."

If Ash had different types of Pokémon rather than the average formula he's had for the past thirteen or so years, then they would be showcased more in that saga than having it showcased by another character be it CotD, gym leader, Elite, and so on. He is the main character of the show, therefore his Pokémon are showcased more often in the show. Therefore, if he were given different types, it would give them a chance to be showcased more than his regular starters, region bird, and so forth.

Which in my opinion, would be a nice change and possible a new play on his personality in the show seeing as it wouldn't be the same tactics he's used to sending out.

I know what he said. I stand by what I said nonetheless. There have been cases where Ash's Pokémon really wasn't showcased as much as other Pokémon that other people had. Torkoal, Glalie, Torterra, Kingler, Muk, Noctowl, Pidgeotto, Swellow, that new bird all come to mind with little thought and can all be argued for.

Years
    The burden of proof would be on you because you claimed it.
    Let me tell you, it's quite the burden.

Strength wise sure but that isn't the only determining factor as to whether or not a Pokémon is similar to another.

Sure, they could have made Torchic a real violent Pokemon or something. The thing is, it's family is still very similar to Chimchar's family, learning many similar moves. The fact that Ash didn't get Combusken or Blaziken make Infernape feel all the more unique.

The rivals and gym leaders Pokemon aren't seen nearly as much. Ash's Pokemon are seen every episode which means that there's even more time for them to promote the starters. The starters are constantly being shoved the starters down our throats, I guess the anime's no exception. It's unfortunate that Pokemon we already see too often are the ones that we see the most in the anime. I wouldn't be concerned if Ash swapped out his starters frequently with other captures, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I know what he said. I stand by what I said nonetheless. There have been cases where Ash's Pokémon really wasn't showcased as much as other Pokémon that other people had. Torkoal, Glalie, Torterra, Kingler, Muk, Noctowl, Pidgeotto, Swellow, that new bird all come to mind with little thought and can all be argued for.
    Five out of eight of those Pokémon are part of the usual formula Ash takes on when he's in a new region. So, I don't see them much of an argument like you're trying to make it out to be. So, like you, I still stand by my opinion.

Only thing that bugs me about Ash's personality though that I'd like to say is I wish his knowledge and skill would have continued from where it left off in Sinnoh. Would have made a much more interesting storyline perhaps for this region. Something that could actually change it from the norm.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Kirbychu said:
    Let me tell you, it's quite the burden.

Torkoal shoulders bro. I believe in you.

Sure, they could have made Torchic a real violent Pokemon or something. The thing is, it's family is still very similar to Chimchar's family, learning many similar moves. The fact that Ash didn't get Combusken or Blaziken make Infernape feel all the more unique.

Just because it has similar moves doesn't mean it would learn moves.

The rivals and gym leaders Pokemon aren't seen nearly as much. Ash's Pokemon are seen every episode which means that there's even more time for them to promote the starters. The starters are constantly being shoved the starters down our throats, I guess the anime's no exception. It's unfortunate that Pokemon we already see too often are the ones that we see the most in the anime. I wouldn't be concerned if Ash swapped out his starters frequently with other captures, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

How do we know that will be the case though? We don't know. As I've stated in the post before your post before my post, being on Ash's team is no guarantee that you will be showcased more than other Pokémon.

Hiiro said:
    Five out of eight of those Pokémon are part of the usual formula Ash takes on when he's in a new region. So, I don't see them much of an argument like you're trying to make it out to be. So, like you, I still stand by my opinion.

Only thing that bugs me about Ash's personality though that I'd like to say is I wish his knowledge and skill would have continued from where it left off in Sinnoh. Would have made a much more interesting storyline perhaps for this region. Something that could actually change it from the norm.

Part of the usual formula or not they are still on his team and are still showcased less. Fan-made formulas are not some kind of law or anything to the writers anyway.

Anyway, I will respond to anything else tomorrow morning-ish. I'll still be online, allegedly, but I don't wish to spend my night arguing over a kids show. I have other things to try and fix I think.

Years
    Just because it has similar moves doesn't mean it would learn moves.
    Being a Fire/Fighting type, those particular moves are some of Combusken/Blaziken's signature traits, they wouldn't be left out. It would have also been more likely to learn those moves since Combusken/Blaziken would have come before Infernape.

How do we know that will be the case though? We don't know. As I've stated in the post before your post before my post, being on Ash's team is no guarantee that you will be showcased more than other Pokémon.

If said Pokemon becomes Ash's main grass/fire/water type and is caught early into the series it's guaranteed that it will be seen frequently. The point is, we see enough of the starters. Ash isn;t even the only one with them, they're on other trainer's teams as well.

Anyway, I will respond to anything else tomorrow morning-ish. I'll still be online, allegedly, but I don't wish to spend my night arguing over a kids show. I have other things to try and fix I think.
    Pffft, your loss.

Last edited:
    Back