• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ask simple questions here!

Years

• I've had the freezing issue and an occasional slow login. The upgrade just before the weekend seems to have cured it. Has anyone else noticed that Pokemon (some of them) have a sex (They are animals. Gender is a human attribute.) as in male or female? Is this something new? Are we going to be able to let them breed? Any ideas....

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • Has anyone else noticed that Pokemon (some of them) have a sex
    I did notice that, particularly on Wooper, who have gender differences (sexual dimorphism, if you prefer) in the number of branches on their external gills. But yeah, there's a male and female symbol when you view individual Pokemon, on the right side of the screen. Tis new.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Gen 2 (Gold, Silver, Crystal) introduced genders and gender-specific moves, so that makes sense. I named a Flareon "Callie" but it turned out to be a Male and I was crushed lmao.

Maya

Fairy-type Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I'm not sure if I can ask this here, but, does anyone know: if I change my username on pokemon GO, does my old username become available immediately? I'm hoping I can move my username to a different account.

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to change the club trainer account you're registered to? I made a new one when GO came out and completely forgot I'd had one for ages. I'd like the progress to match up.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm not sure if I can ask this here, but, does anyone know: if I change my username on pokemon GO, does my old username become available immediately? I'm hoping I can move my username to a different account.

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to change the club trainer account you're registered to? I made a new one when GO came out and completely forgot I'd had one for ages. I'd like the progress to match up.

I can only answer the first question. I don't know about the 2nd question because both Google and PTC are separate services. This maaaaay help you a bit though. https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...nking_google_login_with_pokemon_trainer_club/

Back to the former question, yes...you can change nicknames. Tap on the Pokeball > Tap on settings on the top right corner (you should be on the menu where you go see your Pokemon and items, etc). Then scroll down and you'll find "change nickname". Change your nickname, save your settings, and you should be good! Keep in mind that you cannot go back to your old name as they'll only let you change your nickname ONCE and ONCE only.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • Hello people, I have a dilemma. I finally got enough candy to evolve a Magikarp. They're rarer than hen's teeth round these parts, so it's taken me this long to reach that magic 400. Now, the decision I have to make is whether to evolve my best Magikarp or my shiny Magikarp. I mean, I don't give a toss about gyms and battling so my need for as strong a Gyarados as possible is minimal, and a red Gyarados would be awesome to have. But at the same time, if you had a CP846 Pokémon and a CP117 of the same Pokémon, you'd evolve the higher one, right? The CP of my Magikarp isn't as big as that, though, I'm just making a point. {XD} One is CP144 and the shiny one is CP73.

I can't decide which one to evolve! I'm currently on 460 candy so it'll take me chuffing ages to get enough to evolve another one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2020
    You have a magicarp of 846cp. The highest I have is 115 not enough candy yet though, hiw to you get a high cp garados from a small magicarp anyway. I have seen some high ones and yet magicarp are all small, sorry that is another question actually how to get a high cp gyarados?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Hello people, I have a dilemma. I finally got enough candy to evolve a Magikarp. They're rarer than hen's teeth round these parts, so it's taken me this long to reach that magic 400. Now, the decision I have to make is whether to evolve my best Magikarp or my shiny Magikarp. I mean, I don't give a toss about gyms and battling so my need for as strong a Gyarados as possible is minimal, and a red Gyarados would be awesome to have. But at the same time, if you had a CP846 Pokémon and a CP117 of the same Pokémon, you'd evolve the higher one, right? The CP of my Magikarp isn't as big as that, though, I'm just making a point. {XD} One is CP144 and the shiny one is CP73.

I can't decide which one to evolve! I'm currently on 460 candy so it'll take me chuffing ages to get enough to evolve another one.

Wait, did you say you have a CP 846 Magikarp? O_o

Usually people would evolve Pokemon if their Team Leader (in you case, Candela), says if the pokemon exceeds stats or is above average. Don't evolve if it has very sucky stats. If Candela says your CP 144 Magikarp is sucky, but your shiny CP73 Magikarp has very good stats, then I'd say evolve the shiny, but only check and see by appraising them.

You will know you evolved a good one if your Gyarados has Hydro Pump and/or Dragon Tail

You have a magicarp of 846cp. The highest I have is 115 not enough candy yet though, hiw to you get a high cp garados from a small magicarp anyway. I have seen some high ones and yet magicarp are all small, sorry that is another question actually how to get a high cp gyarados?

It's hard to explain. From what I've seen, any Magikarp more than 100 CP will guarantee you a CP 1500+ Gyarados.

The one I evolved recently was a CP 150 and I decided to evolve it and it turned out to be a CP 2300+.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • Pidgeycalc screenshot: https://puu.sh/vnAso/9c21e75f67.png
    I'm wondering if I should
    A) evolve these guys anyway, combining lucky egg + double EXP for this week for x4 but waste like 20 minutes of the lucky egg,
    B) evolve these guys without the lucky egg, just get the doubler for this week's event.

After all, lucky eggs are rare rare drops, and it's very rare that I get enough pokemon ready to evolve to fill up 30 minutes, too.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Pidgeycalc screenshot: https://puu.sh/vnAso/9c21e75f67.png
    I'm wondering if I should
    A) evolve these guys anyway, combining lucky egg + double EXP for this week for x4 but waste like 20 minutes of the lucky egg,
    B) evolve these guys without the lucky egg, just get the doubler for this week's event.

After all, lucky eggs are rare rare drops, and it's very rare that I get enough pokemon ready to evolve to fill up 30 minutes, too.

I'd say take advantage of the double XP for this event, save the egg for a special outing. Events like the Easter event should always be taken advantage of so it's always best to stock up on eggs only when needed. They only last 30 minutes anyways so yeah!

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • Is there any website I can go to to rank outdated movesets?

For example, this website ranks movesets that are currently in the game.
    https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/en/pokemon/94-gengar
    But my Gengar has Shadow Claw and Dark Pulse, because I caught it (in August 2016) before the game updated. And I have a LOT of Pokémon like that. Neither of those moves are listed on the webpage.

Last edited:

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Is there any website I can go to to rank outdated movesets?

For example, this website ranks movesets that are currently in the game.
    https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/en/pokemon/94-gengar
    But my Gengar has Shadow Claw and Dark Pulse, because I caught it (in August 2016) before the game updated. And I have a LOT of Pokémon like that. Neither of those moves are listed on the webpage.

Generally, you don't need any site to rank specific movesets. You just need to know what types are more common in your area and you can focus on movesets with the right coverage (factoring in STAB as well).

After that, look at cooldowns for individual moves. Generally charge moves with lower cooldown that require less energy expenditure (such as Aqua Tail) are preferred on defense. Dark Pulse is not a great choice on Gengar simply because Shadow Ball is preferred since both Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball have a 3s cooldown and have the same energy requirement. Shadow Ball, however, is STAB with Gengar.

On the subject of legacy moves, Sludge Bomb > both Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball for defense simply because its cooldown is lower, allowing the AI to return to quick moves or if has another Sludge Bomb prepared.

You can apply this logic for all movesets for all Pokémon.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • Sorry, I'm really not so advanced a player -- into all the stats and cooldowns and such -- that I would know how to begin to approach what you describe, VisualJae. That's why I was hoping there is still a painless n' easy ranking list or something like that for the outdated moves, especially given that those Pokemon still exist in many players' collections.

It would really help me cut down on space in my Pokemon inventory to know which movesets are inferior, across the board on both old and new moves. Any sites I can use for that?

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2017
    I've been participating actively in gyms since the upgrade, but I'm not getting any pokecoins when my pokemon return. Any idea what's going on?

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2020
    I've been participating actively in gyms since the upgrade, but I'm not getting any pokecoins when my pokemon return. Any idea what's going on?

If you already received your max of 50 coins for the day you will not receive any coins for any other pokemon returned in the same day, not worth keeping a lot of pokemon in gyms for a length of time and being returned in the same day. Hate that no reward for hard work.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • https://pokeassistant.com/movesets
    What do the crossed out moves mean?

Are those moves that are no longer "in the game" thanks to an update, but if you have Pokemon from before the update, they may still have those moves? Is that it?

I'm curious which of my Pokemon from before the update to keep, how those old "top movesets" stack up against new "top movesets."

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    https://pokeassistant.com/movesets
    What do the crossed out moves mean?

Are those moves that are no longer "in the game" thanks to an update, but if you have Pokemon from before the update, they may still have those moves? Is that it?

I'm curious which of my Pokemon from before the update to keep, how those old "top movesets" stack up against new "top movesets."

Yup we call them legacy moves. Definitely worth keeping anything that has a legacy move simply for the fact that it'll be worth more when trading comes in.

Keep them for now, just in case. However if you're short on space - any Pokemon with crossed out Rock moves are worth keeping due to the fact that the legendary birds are easier to face with some legacy moves. That and the good stuff - Snorlax, Dragonite etc - definitely worth keeping old and new!

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • Yup we call them legacy moves. Definitely worth keeping anything that has a legacy move simply for the fact that it'll be worth more when trading comes in. Keep them for now, just in case.

Are they still valuable to anyone even if the legacy moves are objectively weaker? e.g.
    https://i.imgur.com/oaxHuxt.png
    Is anyone actually going to value that more than something with more powerful moves? I have my doubts.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Are they still valuable to anyone even if the legacy moves are objectively weaker? e.g.
    https://i.imgur.com/oaxHuxt.png
    Is anyone actually going to value that more than something with more powerful moves? I have my doubts.

You'd be surprised. Some people collect simply because it's rare and uncommon. It's totally up to you in the end whether you keep them or not, and if you need the candy/space, definitely, but there could come a time where someone would trade something good just for a legacy Pokemon... if we ever get trading :|

Back