• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aspergers Syndrome

John Denver

Banned
Years
  • ~`PadfootPuppy`~ said:
    Nobody makes any money off of Asperger's, I hope you know.
    Crystal Walrein said:
    Which makes Asperger's Syndrome a veritable curse.

Except for the psychologists that are payed 40 bucks an hour to counsel the person with individual psychotherapy to help the client process the feelings aroused by being "socially handicapped."

And for pharmacists you mean...The people who sell drugs for symptons from the disease like Psychostimulants (methyphenidate, dextroamphetamine, metamphetamine), clonidine, Tricyclic Antidepressants (desipramine, nortriptyline), Strattera (atomoxetine)

And you can't forget about the doctors...the ones who are payed to prescribe the drugs for anxiety like SSRIs (sertraline, fluoxetine), Tricyclic Antidepressants (imipramine, clomipramine, nortriptyline). And don't forget aggression! Things like Mood Stabilizers (valproate, carbamazepine, lithium), Beta Blockers (nadolol, propranolol), clonidine, naltrexone, Neuroleptics (risperidone, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone, haloperidol) are all prescribed for patients to help them cope through this horrible "disease"

Source

And you my friend...have been pwned

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • ._. IMO, I think that Aspergers is just some label for kids who are outcasts because they're smarter..
    @@ Like.. of course if someone's a nerd they're going to be bullied and therefore have lesser-developed social skills ._.
    @@ I really don't think it's a specific -disorder- It's just another name used for people who are similar to that type of 'personality' or 'being' ._.

meh~ Unless it's a little bit too out of control~

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Kura said:
    ._. IMO, I think that Aspergers is just some label for kids who are outcasts because they're smarter..
    @@ Like.. of course if someone's a nerd they're going to be bullied and therefore have lesser-developed social skills ._.
    @@ I really don't think it's a specific -disorder- It's just another name used for people who are similar to that type of 'personality' or 'being' ._.

meh~ Unless it's a little bit too out of control~

That's also a very good point I hadn't thought about. Think about it. Remember all the kids in your younger grades that picked only because they were intelligent? Of course! They'll definately not want to interact when they're older...

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • In the context of the description of the syndrome, many people can claim to have it, I know I did earlier in the thead, even though something inside me was telling me it was bunk. The real problem, even if people claim to have it, is whether it really even exists or not, but that has already been put into serious doubt in this thread. I was a bit too unquestioning reading everything, but now the syndrome reads like a horoscope; vague enough to where anyone can identify with it in one way or another; and if someone is diagnosed with something and told the symptoms of it, there's no doubt it's going to trigger a hypochondriatic reaction in the person diagnosed, causing them to get worse instead of better. This is actually very disappointing, come to think of it; Mr. Asperger sounds like either a quack psychologist or one that had a foolish new-age philosophy on his craft and deluded himself through a broad base of generic trials that could do nothing other than reinforce what he thought in the first place that he had discovered an actual mental condition. It's the presumption of someone who has never been persecuted as a child or who was weakly stimulated by their parents before their entrance into school; his ideas are as poorly conceived as and very similar to those of a schoolyard bully, that quirks imply inferiority. It's nothing more than that. A man who considers himself infallable in his ideas because of his position as a prominent scientist who has, despite claiming to make a living of probing into the human mind, likely never attempted to walk in the shoes of those he studied. Pitiful.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • I just asked my mom about the A-syndrome and more symptoms:
    1. It's not being obsessed with something and lacking in another, it's just being very obsessed.
    2. You tend to make weird movements that are commonly associated with autistic people.
    3. There's no censor when you speak. That means whatever you think something like "boy, does he have a big nose!" or "they have surgery for that, you know," you actually say it to the person's face. To be honest, I feel bad for a kid with this syndrome in a bad situation
    That's about all for now or basically all in general reference.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Chairman Kaga said:
    In the context of the description of the syndrome, many people can claim to have it, I know I did earlier in the thead, even though something inside me was telling me it was bunk. The real problem, even if people claim to have it, is whether it really even exists or not, but that has already been put into serious doubt in this thread. I was a bit too unquestioning reading everything, but now the syndrome reads like a horoscope; vague enough to where anyone can identify with it in one way or another; and if someone is diagnosed with something and told the symptoms of it, there's no doubt it's going to trigger a hypochondriatic reaction in the person diagnosed, causing them to get worse instead of better. This is actually very disappointing, come to think of it; Mr. Asperger sounds like either a quack psychologist or one that had a foolish new-age philosophy on his craft and deluded himself through a broad base of generic trials that could do nothing other than reinforce what he thought in the first place that he had discovered an actual mental condition. It's the presumption of someone who has never been persecuted as a child or who was weakly stimulated by their parents before their entrance into school; his ideas are as poorly conceived as and very similar to those of a schoolyard bully, that quirks imply inferiority. It's nothing more than that. A man who considers himself infallable in his ideas because of his position as a prominent scientist who has, despite claiming to make a living of probing into the human mind, likely never attempted to walk in the shoes of those he studied. Pitiful.

Exactly...it's like a placebo effect. If someone is suffering from [some symptons of XXX disease] and you give them a shiny pill assuring them that this pill will take away all their problems, then if the person's subconcious is confident enough, the problems could just go away on their own. The reverse is true as well.

If you told a person that RARELY goes skiing that FREQUENT skiing is a sign of Skiers Disease...they will probably think they have skiers diease.

I just asked my mom about the A-syndrome and more symptoms:
    1. It's not being obsessed with something and lacking in another, it's just being very obsessed.
    2. You tend to make weird movements that are commonly associated with autistic people.
    3. There's no censor when you speak. That means whatever you think something like "boy, does he have a big nose!" or "they have surgery for that, you know," you actually say it to the person's face. To be honest, I feel bad for a kid with this syndrome in a bad situation
    That's about all for now or basically all in general reference.

That sounds more like turrets...

Eliana

The |R a m p a g e|
    Years
  • Kazuhito said:
    There already is...sorta, it's a subsection to something called 'Computer Addiction Disorder'...that's a new low.
    Actually there was a study about that, and I believe it 100% XD The study was that kids with ADHD are more prone to computer addiction, and kids who are addicted to the computer are more likely to have ADHD. *coughMecough* XD

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
  • I always thought I might have ADD because I obsess over things, don't pay much attention to people (prone to drifting off), find it hard to understand things that some people say sometimes, but am still intelligent enough at school.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    A dear friend of mine when I was younger had Aspergers syndrome, he was a truley wonderful and adorable little boy, he was one of my best friends from when I was about 6 - 8, then when I came out of school, I lost contact with him. He had alot of difficulty leading a "normal" life, but he got on with it, people teased him they used to take advantage of him it was just awful. When he moved onto the highschool, everyone was really mean to him so he came out, its truly such a shame that most of humanity are to ignorant and abusive to see what a wonderful person he is.

Alot of things that have been said in this topic have made me quite angry, its a very serious illness and not a thing to joke about, all of this "Oh I think I have it then haha" makes me want to scream, seriously, read up on it, or stop being so go**** childish, just grow up. Diseases are very serious things, nothing to joke about. Alot of people in this world dont get the chance to share the same happiness as others, it makes me very sad to see people find it so amusing. I lost faith in humanity a long time ago, but this just proves my thoughts so much more.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2013
    Dakota said:
    Except for the psychologists that are payed 40 bucks an hour to counsel the person with individual psychotherapy to help the client process the feelings aroused by being "socially handicapped."

And for pharmacists you mean...The people who sell drugs for symptons from the disease like Psychostimulants (methyphenidate, dextroamphetamine, metamphetamine), clonidine, Tricyclic Antidepressants (desipramine, nortriptyline), Strattera (atomoxetine)

And you can't forget about the doctors...the ones who are payed to prescribe the drugs for anxiety like SSRIs (sertraline, fluoxetine), Tricyclic Antidepressants (imipramine, clomipramine, nortriptyline). And don't forget aggression! Things like Mood Stabilizers (valproate, carbamazepine, lithium), Beta Blockers (nadolol, propranolol), clonidine, naltrexone, Neuroleptics (risperidone, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone, haloperidol) are all prescribed for patients to help them cope through this horrible "disease"

Source

And you my friend...have been pwned

I have not. I don't get counseled.

Exactly, Pincushion. My whole school, nearly every person, makes fun of me. *sighs* THis guy I like named Chad likes me back, I think, because we went to a party for a program called SciGirls that his sister is in, and he said he likes my hair and a bunch of other stuff, but he's embarassed to talk to me in front of his friends because of my bad rap.

Kaneda Morspeed

Only the most powerful win...
    Years
  • Dakota said:
    That sounds more like turrets...

That's because asbergers is derived from Tourettes (notice the spelling >.<). I was thought to of had Tourettes, until it was very clear that I did not have enough of those symptoms to be classified that way, although I still had a few of them. Plus, yes, doctors make money from Asbergers, but its not a big scam. The medicine DOES INDEED WORK, and I can vouch for that, as one day, I had not taken my medicine, and I had a terrible day, and I MYSELF noticed that it was worse than other days, and not because of teasing, but because of my general behavior that would be deemed unfit, even to me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2013
    I don't take pills... Dakota, why not think about this: Our lives are horrible and only made worse by you telling us our lives are fine. Some people with Asperger's even have trouble moving or talking. I'm not one of those people, thank God.

But I believe that you need to leave this thread.

And quit acting like we're idiots.

Please.

Asperger's is real.

Last edited:

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • I'm simply stating my case...I haven't insulted or name called you at all padfoot...You, unfortunately, can't say the same for your actions towards me.

Micans

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2006
    Someone in my grade has it. People are entertained by his breakouts of random anger sometimes.

Years
  • Pincushion said:
    Alot of things that have been said in this topic have made me quite angry, its a very serious illness and not a thing to joke about, all of this "Oh I think I have it then haha" makes me want to scream, seriously, read up on it, or stop being so go**** childish, just grow up. Diseases are very serious things, nothing to joke about. Alot of people in this world dont get the chance to share the same happiness as others, it makes me very sad to see people find it so amusing. I lost faith in humanity a long time ago, but this just proves my thoughts so much more.

Good that you figured that out. I don't expect humanity anymore, because when I do I always get disappointed, and I don't like disappointments.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Come to think of it,there was this guy in primary school..... And I never saw him after that.....

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
  • I have no comment to this thread besides to say that I do not believe it is a personality disorder. My best friend, whom I believe has posted numerous times in this thread before (I didn't tell you to be a social butterly, merely to try a little harder.), has a wonderful personality. She can be a little argumentative (who isn't, at this age?), but other than that she had very few personality faults, of which none seem to fall under the effect of Aspergers. However, she does have a few behavioural traits, which are, for the most part, associated with it. I don't know whether to call it a disorder or a disease, but I am quite firm on my opinion that it is not a personality downside. Anyoen thinking different is entitled to their own opinion, and have all the right I do to state it.

~Kitty-chan

Aisu K.

SHOWMEYAMOVES
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Home
    • Seen Oct 6, 2010
    Nyah. I suffer from a minor Asperger's. One wouldn't tell unless they met me face-to-face. It doesn't bug me. All of my classmates are inferior to me, even with it.

Back