• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Astrology

Years
  • I'm just generally curious if anyone here has studied or has any real interest in the realm of Astrology.

I've studied the Art (I won't call it a "science" because it's anything but exact) for about 5 years and have been practicing it since. I'm no expert, professional, or licensed in any way, but I enjoy interpreting Natal Charts above anything else. I'll glance over daily charts and see how the planets are affecting everyone for that day, but I'm too lazy to keep a close track on it.

Anyway, this is open for discussion about anything Astrology. Mention experiences, opinions, or your own interpretations. etc. (And don't say" you or someone is a sign" because I will kill...)

:D

Years
  • (You said "I am a [sign]"...you shall dieeeee)

Uuuuuugh....well everything you learned is invalid.

Signs are so insignificant when considering what Astrology really is. If you want anything close to an accurate depiction of who you really are, I suggest filling out a Natal Birth Chart (just google it, I can suggest the better calculators), and having it read to you (rather than reading the superficial "definition" of the Planet/Sign/House combination.

Overall, all signs are compatible with each other without exception.

But if you're unfamiliar with the idea of Planets, Signs, and Houses:
    Planet = WHAT (the energy is)
    Sign = HOW (the energy is expressed)
    House = WHERE (the energy is expressed)

Planets are in a sign and in a House. Houses start in signs, which describe that area of your life.

Signs are, literally, just descriptors and don't tell much of anything about anything or anyone on their own.

But you are not a sign. At the time of your birth, the Sun was travelling through a constellation (Leo). The Sun is your ego. It's who you're trying to be or how you are trying to portray yourself. This is conscious. So this does not dictate how you come across to others (that's the Ascendant) or how you exert yourself (Mars) or how you are emotionally (Moon). It does not describe your creativity (Venus) and it does not define anything individualistic about you (Uranus). Not only that, but the Sun was also in a House, which is where this energy is being portrayed, meaning your Sun is not always (and hardly ever is) showing.

Furthermore, people have an Astrological Signature that more describes how the individual behaves overall, and this is in the vaguest of senses. For instance: when I was born, the Sun was traveling through Pisces in the 10th House. However, when factoring in all 10 planets (Sun, Moon, and Pluto are considered planets) and even my Ascendant and Mid Heaven, my Astrological Signature is Scorpio.

And most people believe what generic Horoscopes tell them about a Sun sign because it's stroking the ego (pun intended). The Sun likes to be defined and spoken highly of. This is why most people like to associate themselves very strongly with a single sign, which is less than 1/100 of what a Natal Chart can uncover.

Any one Natal Chart can easily create an encyclopedia of information about that one person. And each chart will vary dramatically.

Interested again? xP

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Well, at least you're not calling a science.

This says everything about astrology that a skeptic would probably think. I am just unable to phantom how any formal rules that makes predictions and assertions about completely unrelated phenomena (Human/Personal affairs and the Goddamn sky), which are demonstrably no better than guessing, is still taken seriously by anyone after so long.

As far as we know from tested physics, there are four fundamental interactions. Not to say they're the final word, but any other possible interactions will either be so high energy it is irrelevant at the super-particle scale, or so cosmological it is irrelevant at the galactic scale. Very comfortably between these scales lie stars, planets, and people. The only plausibly relevant interactions are electromagnetic and gravitational. Trust me, I've done the math, gravity has a pretty slow gradient around the surface of the Earth.

And, as far as I'm concerned, nobody has ever launched an x-ray at a person and seen it go "Oh shit, he's a Leo, I better miss."

Years
  • Those who practice or study Astrology should never believe that a measurable item is the cause of Planets, and their placements, that affect an individual. Not only that, The distance of the Planet and the direction it travels in the our sky (the idea of Retrograde) dictate that planet's interpretation.

Astrologers are similar to Mediums/Psychics/etc. and a Natal Chart is similar to a Tarot reading because it's based on interpretation by the reader. (Anyone who interprets anything from a book or a computer generated description is doing it wrong). It's purely metaphysical an unmeasurable. There is no physical or "scientific" proof that Astrology can even occur.

This is why I said it was an "Art." It take time, study, and dedication to learn the basics of what every aspect of Astrology means and then being able to combine them in an (almost) infinite amount of ways and create an intelligible interpretation and meaning.

Regardless, I've read a lot on what skeptics say about Astrology, but they miss the point and have never studied it before. They might know more about it than those who never think about it, but they still know virtually nothing about the Art.

And, in my opinion, any Astrologer that says they're a "Scientist" would make me laugh.

But, again, if you don't believe in the spiritual realm and planes beyond, then you cannot believe in Astrology.

But I'm not here to debate the validity of the art or the fact it isn't a science. I'm not here to discuss what physics theologies are the only valid ones when considering how a planet's placement and direction of travel from the viewpoint of earth to affect an infant when they are birthed from a mother's womb.

You said "He's a Leo," which means you, personally, know very little about the subject which means you understand even less of what goes into Astrology as a whole. Gravity and electromagnetism are not the cause for planets being a type of energy that is affected by the collection of starts they are passing in front of at the time. It is something unknown and probably linked to the spiritual world. Gravity and electromagnetism affect us phyiscally, they don't affect us personally and they wouldn't affect a child just born to the extent that it dictates their personality.

Plane

Plane
    Years
  • Beyond reading my daily horoscope everyday and reading about all the star signs, can't say I've gone too indepth with it. Though It is one of the first things I ask people when I meet them or get to know them

Years
  • Regardless, I've read a lot on what skeptics say about Astrology, but they miss the point and have never studied it before. They might know more about it than those who never think about it, but they still know virtually nothing about the Art.

What is the point of Astrology? If I had to know only one thing (or a few things) about Astrology, what would that be?

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Astrologers are similar to Mediums/Psychics/etc. and a Natal Chart is similar to a Tarot reading because it's based on interpretation by the reader. (Anyone who interprets anything from a book or a computer generated description is doing it wrong). It's purely metaphysical an unmeasurable. There is no physical or "scientific" proof that Astrology can even occur.

So how do you know it's real?

This is why I said it was an "Art." It take time, study, and dedication to learn the basics of what every aspect of Astrology means and then being able to combine them in an (almost) infinite amount of ways and create an intelligible interpretation and meaning.

Regardless, I've read a lot on what skeptics say about Astrology, but they miss the point and have never studied it before. They might know more about it than those who never think about it, but they still know virtually nothing about the Art.

Okay, so none of this is meant to be taken literally? Are "planetary energy", "spiritual realms", "planes" some sort of poetic/philosophical terms? I mean, you don't actually believe that a chunk of rock hundreds of light years away has anything to do with the genetic formation of traits in an infant right?

Oh and you know those online horoscope apps on Facebook? Would you call them 'valid' sources of astrology? Just curious, I see people use the app everyday.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • A lot of them are full to the brim with Barnum statements from what I've seen. It's quite easy to write something that's credible to the masses and will generally strike a chord with most people. With horoscopes for instance, seeing their birth month linked to a fortune for them makes them feel slightly more ownership of that particular horoscope.

I've never tried tarot readings, but again, it seems like something you look for a meaning for you personally from what was basically a randomised draw of cards. People can find meanings and guidance in these things, and if it helps them, that's fair enough. I just personally would not take anything too seriously when it comes to these things!

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Those who practice or study Astrology should never believe that a measurable item is the cause of Planets, and their placements, that affect an individual. Not only that, The distance of the Planet and the direction it travels in the our sky (the idea of Retrograde) dictate that planet's interpretation.
    OK, so we both agree it's not grounded in any physical reality whatsoever?
    Astrologers are similar to Mediums/Psychics/etc. and a Natal Chart is similar to a Tarot reading because it's based on interpretation by the reader. (Anyone who interprets anything from a book or a computer generated description is doing it wrong). It's purely metaphysical an unmeasurable. There is no physical or "scientific" proof that Astrology can even occur.

It's an "art" because it's not disprovable? I'd take a quick whack at the life choices of a fine arts major any other day, but even the most meaning-devoid abstract and modernist paintings and sculptures are physically manifest. I can see them, and whatever interpretation gets thrown around by critics is based on that physical painting as well as experiences with others. At worst, you could only accuse a critic/fine artist of being deluded about questions of value. Multimillion paintings with two solid colors come to mind here, but there could be a whole other discussion about how/why/when an art has some value, monetary or intrinsic, as opposed to another. But, no, astrology isn't a fine art.

Of course, by art you might have meant more as a skillset. That would be worse, because if the astrological "art" is not disprovable, that is you can't tell the difference between a universe where it makes a statistically significant and correct amount of predictions, and one in which it doesn't compared to guesses and deductions, then it must be the most convoluted way to get really good at guessing games in the galaxy. But even that isn't my real gripe with astrology and other "psychic/spiritual art" just because we haven't made contact with any other intelligent lifeforms, so the human race can't embarrass itself yet.

And, in my opinion, any Astrologer that says they're a "Scientist" would make me laugh.

But, again, if you don't believe in the spiritual realm and planes beyond, then you cannot believe in Astrology.

Oh, I love how people in general can just write off their ideas as Certified Skeptic-Proof™ like it's a six-sigma nuclear shelter against scrutiny. Even particle physics detections aren't that certain. And I don't have to study Harry Potter spells or even read the books to know that Harry Potter is fiction, because it is clear from the summary that it is unrealistic, and it is clear from the author that she has written fiction.

Astrology is Harry Potter with none of its authors ("practitioners") making it clear that its fiction, because they don't have the mind and integrity to call anything into question, because they won't apply the most reasonable baselines of scientific scrutiny (which isn't just for established sciences. In fact, you don't go far enough, an astrologer just saying they're "advanced" or an "expert" would make me laugh.)

But I'm not here to debate the validity of the art or the fact it isn't a science. I'm not here to discuss what physics theologies are the only valid ones when considering how a planet's placement and direction of travel from the viewpoint of earth to affect an infant when they are birthed from a mother's womb.

I'm pretty sure "non-astrology" is a perfectly valid opinion about "astrology." Otherwise, I must have been really intrusive in all those discussions about God.

And I hope by "theologies" you meant "theories", because I remember saying
    As far as we know from tested physics, there are four fundamental interactions. Not to say they're the final word
    And even just comparing science to religion gets me on a whole other ramble.

You said "He's a Leo,"
    That's the joke.

which means you, personally, know very little about the subject which means you understand even less of what goes into Astrology as a whole. Gravity and electromagnetism are not the cause for planets being a type of energy that is affected by the collection of starts they are passing in front of at the time. It is something unknown and probably linked to the spiritual world. Gravity and electromagnetism affect us phyiscally, they don't affect us personally and they wouldn't affect a child just born to the extent that it dictates their personality.

I mentioned what my gripe with astrology wasn't. Now let me tell you what it is.

So fine, you gain nothing from this discussion; I'm just another one of those angry skeptics for whatever reason astrology would predict I am. Life's good, and you spread the word of astrology because it is just an enlightening take on the mysteries of human personality.

Eventually, a young child, a blank canvas yearning for knowledge, comes across these ideas. She doesn't know any better; her elementary school teacher taught an incompetent excuse for science, but perhaps a class in middle school would have done the job. So she could have learned what science is about, and what skills of thought it entails. She could have gone to college to study psychology and neuroscience, and spent her time researching the human personality, while grounded with some standard of rigor. Could you imagine, thanks to her, we could have uncovered some sort of fundamental neurological theory that pertains to the personality? Something that could advance the fundamental question of why or how a "persona" emerges from those ensembles of orchestrated neurons, and is also the effort of decades of sound research on the brain? A whole new garden of questions and answers to advance knowledge in neuroscience, and doubtlessly advance the authenticity of psychology?

But no, instead, an astrologer, or a psychic, or a homeopathic practitioner, makes an impression on her. Instead of critical thinking, she learns about inexplicable spiritual planes. Instead of academic and scientific integrity, she learns to dodge scrutiny. Instead of explaining personality through studies, genes, mathematics, and biology, she attempts to do so through "planets" and fraudulent energy. (I explicitly refuse to omit that adjective.)

Thus, even if you can agree that astrology isn't a science, its principles and practice are an affront to scientific thought. And its not just the act of you and other "practitioners" promoting even the slightest claim of authenticity that is maddening, but the non-action of many scientists and their students--their failure to actively promote scientific ideas to the public and to children, and the skepticism and freethought principles that are required--that is maddening. Richard Feynman's essay, The Value of Science, and his commencement speech, Cargo Cult Science, make precisely this point.

And that is why, even if you say you aren't here to debate the validity of astrology, I am.

Years
  • What is the point of Astrology? If I had to know only one thing (or a few things) about Astrology, what would that be?
    Well, that's the point. If you want to know about Astrology, there is much you have to at least know (not necessarily understand). But to give an actual answer, it would be "there is too much more to Astrology than just Signs."

So how do you know it's real?

Okay, so none of this is meant to be taken literally? Are "planetary energy", "spiritual realms", "planes" some sort of poetic/philosophical terms? I mean, you don't actually believe that a chunk of rock hundreds of light years away has anything to do with the genetic formation of traits in an infant right?

Oh and you know those online horoscope apps on Facebook? Would you call them 'valid' sources of astrology? Just curious, I see people use the app everyday.
    How does anyone of a particular faith know their religion is real? It's the same idea.

There is nothing physical or measurable about Astrology, so nothing in Astrology is "literal." Everything is subjective and up to the individual interpreter to interpret the chart (placements of the planets at a particular point in time.
    The "Belief" is that that chunk of rock (or gas) has an energy not yet discovered or defined that affect the personality of the child born. Personalities are not learned, they are innate, and Astrology helps define and shed light on aspect of a person that are not understood or particularly difficult. (I'm not going to go into how it can predict the future or how events might play out because I have not studied such things).

The basic rule about Horoscopes is that if it's just talking about a sign, it's neither accurate nor necessarily true. That's all just hopeful ignorance of the subject.

A lot of them are full to the brim with Barnum statements from what I've seen. It's quite easy to write something that's credible to the masses and will generally strike a chord with most people. With horoscopes for instance, seeing their birth month linked to a fortune for them makes them feel slightly more ownership of that particular horoscope.

I've never tried tarot readings, but again, it seems like something you look for a meaning for you personally from what was basically a randomised draw of cards. People can find meanings and guidance in these things, and if it helps them, that's fair enough. I just personally would not take anything too seriously when it comes to these things!
    Well, that's kind of the point of basic Horoscopes (Horoscopes that are based off only signs), so that it has some kind of truth. I could said that it's purposefully crafted this way so the individual might do some more research on their own, but that's never the case. But it's also the way in which people get money and some "Astrologers" are in it for the money and take advantage of the gullibility of the masses. It's pretty much like someone charging people for counceling without having a license or degree and being able to get away with it legally. It's neither ethical or true. And this causes many people to become skeptical about an ancient "Science."

OK, so we both agree it's not grounded in any physical reality whatsoever?
    Yes, we both agree on this. And anyone who has told you otherwise about Astrology would be wrong.

It's an "art" because it's not disprovable? I'd take a quick whack at the life choices of a fine arts major any other day, but even the most meaning-devoid abstract and modernist paintings and sculptures are physically manifest. I can see them, and whatever interpretation gets thrown around by critics is based on that physical painting as well as experiences with others. At worst, you could only accuse a critic/fine artist of being deluded about questions of value. Multimillion paintings with two solid colors come to mind here, but there could be a whole other discussion about how/why/when an art has some value, monetary or intrinsic, as opposed to another. But, no, astrology isn't a fine art.
    Of course it's disprovable. All scientific theories are disprovable, but just have not been disproven yet. Technically it's a "Science" because it takes theories that are backed by some kind of evidence (emotion/personality/hearsay/etc.) that is unreliable at best and manipulated/manipulative at worst. But because the particular practice of Astrology I'm speaking about (the "cause" for personality at the base level) is not learned or developed. It certainly can change the way in which it is expressed, but it doesn't change the "cause" (in my case, the planets).
    Some arts aren't physical. Like Music is expressed on a sheet a paper, but the actual experience is audible. Astrology is expressed through the placements of planets, but that's meaningless unless there's someone to express it and put meaning into it. Someone can choose to place no meaning in music and they can certainly do that with Astrology, painting, sculpture, etc.
    Like I said above, Astrology is a religious practice. It has no meaning if you don't share those religious beliefs. Communion, to me, hold no influence in my life because I am not Christian/Catholic. But that does not take away the fact that it holds meaning an importance to those it does. The same goes for Christianity vs. Judaism vs. Muslim. They are the same religion with a few (arguable one) differences (who's the Messiah?).

Of course, by art you might have meant more as a skillset. That would be worse, because if the astrological "art" is not disprovable, that is you can't tell the difference between a universe where it makes a statistically significant and correct amount of predictions, and one in which it doesn't compared to guesses and deductions, then it must be the most convoluted way to get really good at guessing games in the galaxy. But even that isn't my real gripe with astrology and other "psychic/spiritual art" just because we haven't made contact with any other intelligent lifeforms, so the human race can't embarrass itself yet.
    Going with my above paragraph, it's very much a spiritual practice. If you don't have spiritual beliefs, then Astrology cannot be used or understood. It's the use of intuition and tapping into the collective unconscious of the world (a spiritual concept). But I was merely saying it was an "Art" because it's not a science in the way our culture believes science to be: a physical, observable reality. Astrology is an unobservable, spiritual reality. Unfortunately for the hyper-realistic, reality is subjective.

Oh, I love how people in general can just write off their ideas as Certified Skeptic-Proof™ like it's a six-sigma nuclear shelter against scrutiny. Even particle physics detections aren't that certain. And I don't have to study Harry Potter spells or even read the books to know that Harry Potter is fiction, because it is clear from the summary that it is unrealistic, and it is clear from the author that she has written fiction.

Astrology is Harry Potter with none of its authors ("practitioners") making it clear that its fiction, because they don't have the mind and integrity to call anything into question, because they won't apply the most reasonable baselines of scientific scrutiny (which isn't just for established sciences. In fact, you don't go far enough, an astrologer just saying they're "advanced" or an "expert" would make me laugh.)
    It's unfair to compare Harry Potter to Astrology. Astrology has been practiced before the invention of Judaism. Harry Potter was written two decades ago. And I won't reiterate what I said before because I'm not going to let myself sound condescending because I like this debate. ^^

I'm pretty sure "non-astrology" is a perfectly valid opinion about "astrology." Otherwise, I must have been really intrusive in all those discussions about God.
    It absolutely is a valid option.

And I hope by "theologies" you meant "theories", because I remember saying...
    And even just comparing science to religion gets me on a whole other ramble.
    No, I meant "theologies" because of the above.

That's the joke.
    Which is what bothers me, whether it's used as a joke or not. It's like saying a Religion is wrong because it's not yours when you've never studied it before. It's writing off a theology with ignorance rather than attempting enlightenment and writing it off. I'm not saying I'm offended, it's just irritating. Everyone is free to believe what they wish, but insulting/degrading/condescending others with opposing beliefs/opinions is unethical and unfair. But this is straying from the topic at hand.

I mentioned what my gripe with astrology wasn't. Now let me tell you what it is.

So fine, you gain nothing from this discussion; I'm just another one of those angry skeptics for whatever reason astrology would predict I am. Life's good, and you spread the word of astrology because it is just an enlightening take on the mysteries of human personality.

Eventually, a young child, a blank canvas yearning for knowledge, comes across these ideas. She doesn't know any better; her elementary school teacher taught an incompetent excuse for science, but perhaps a class in middle school would have done the job. So she could have learned what science is about, and what skills of thought it entails. She could have gone to college to study psychology and neuroscience, and spent her time researching the human personality, while grounded with some standard of rigor. Could you imagine, thanks to her, we could have uncovered some sort of fundamental neurological theory that pertains to the personality? Something that could advance the fundamental question of why or how a "persona" emerges from those ensembles of orchestrated neurons, and is also the effort of decades of sound research on the brain? A whole new garden of questions and answers to advance knowledge in neuroscience, and doubtlessly advance the authenticity of psychology?

But no, instead, an astrologer, or a psychic, or a homeopathic practitioner, makes an impression on her. Instead of critical thinking, she learns about inexplicable spiritual planes. Instead of academic and scientific integrity, she learns to dodge scrutiny. Instead of explaining personality through studies, genes, mathematics, and biology, she attempts to do so through "planets" and fraudulent energy. (I explicitly refuse to omit that adjective.)

Thus, even if you can agree that astrology isn't a science, its principles and practice are an affront to scientific thought. And its not just the act of you and other "practitioners" promoting even the slightest claim of authenticity that is maddening, but the non-action of many scientists and their students--their failure to actively promote scientific ideas to the public and to children, and the skepticism and freethought principles that are required--that is maddening. Richard Feynman's essay, The Value of Science, and his commencement speech, Cargo Cult Science, make precisely this point.

And that is why, even if you say you aren't here to debate the validity of astrology, I am.
    It's unethical to expose any child or adolescent without the capability of critical thinking to religion. Even science should be introduced with skepticism because, as we've both said, it is not infallable and theorums have been proven wrong/inaccurate/incomplete time and time again. When I have a child, I will not tell them or teach them about any religion unless they ask. I will admit that I don't know everything and that further research should be pursued for further understanding. I will also warn against becoming completely enveloped by anything in particular until they are older and know more. I would even suggest to research other, similar, religions and hope they follow through.

Initially, I wasn't here to debate, but I'm all about debates. I enjoy the critical thinking it makes me do.
    And I'm also not debating for the sake of making you or anyone else believe Astrology is universally true. I'm really just debating it for myself, since that's the best way for bettering understanding something I practice.

And I'm not saying I don't think anything about Astrology isn't hoaky or irrational. But I've always been a fan of rationalizing the irrational, because I like to attempt the impossible when it comes to thinking. xP

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • How does anyone of a particular faith know their religion is real? It's the same idea.

I'm an atheist, so you tell me. {XD}

(I'm not going to go into how it can predict the future or how events might play out because I have not studied such things).

Personalities are mostly genetic, so technically they're innate. But not the way you put it. If you haven't studied such thing, again, how can you know (no, don't use faith as an argument)?

Of course it's disprovable. All scientific theories are disprovable, but just have not been disproven yet. Technically it's a "Science" because it takes theories that are backed by some kind of evidence (emotion/personality/hearsay/etc.) that is unreliable at best and manipulated/manipulative at worst. But because the particular practice of Astrology I'm speaking about (the "cause" for personality at the base level) is not learned or developed. It certainly can change the way in which it is expressed, but it doesn't change the "cause" (in my case, the planets).

Astrology is a pseudoscience. You follow these rules, these charts... yet an astrologer can only make an excuse for failures, but not actually make a meaningful revision to the charts, practice or astrological theory (or "cause" as you put it). Emotion/personality/hearsay/etc. are not evidence at all, as they are no more objective or reliable as an anecdote of the Levitating Pasta Beast.

Scientific theories have not been disproven yet mainly because of the overwhelming amount of evidence for them. A standard for scientific experiments is to disprove rather than to prove a premise first, which is why the null hypothesis is preferred when conducting a study. This is the case for almost every theory you can name: string theory, quantum field theory, supersymmetry, fluid dynamics, and so forth.

I'm not saying astrology cannot be falsified. It can, and has been. A 1985 double-blind study published in Nature involved 28 astrologers who were asked to match 226 natal charts to certain psychological profiles generated by the California Psychological Inventory questionnaire. The astrologers were chosen by the astrological organization the National Council for Geocosmic Research, who advised the researchers, helped ensure the test was fair.

A double-blind test of astrology.

The conclusion?

We are now in a position to argue a surprisingly strong case against natal astrology as practised by reputable astrologers. Great pains were taken to insure that the experiment was unbiased and that astrology was given every reasonable chance to succeed. Despite the fact that we worked with some of the best astrologers in the country, recommended by the advising astrologers for their expertise in astrology and in their ability to use the CPI, despite the fact that every reasonable suggestion made by the advising astrologers was worked into the experiment, despite the fact that the astrologers approved the design and predicted 50 percent as the 'minimum' effect they would expect to see, astrology failed to perform at a level better than chance. Tested using double-blind methods, the astrologers' predictions proved to be wrong. Their predicted connection between the positions of the planets and other astronomical objects at the time of birth and the personalities of test subjects did not exist. The experiment clearly refutes the astrological hypothesis.

Years
  • Personalities are mostly genetic, so technically they're innate. But not the way you put it. If you haven't studied such thing, again, how can you know (no, don't use faith as an argument)?
    Out of all the Psychology classes I've taken, I haven't studied anything that describes or defines personality in any meaningful way. Furthermore, any of them have been generalized and largely insufficient to describe or even explain personalities. But I can admit that my research was limited (in the grand scheme of things) and largely incomplete. But I can't believe that any research and studies performed since then or before are any more accurate or descriptive.

Astrology is a pseudoscience. You follow these rules, these charts... yet an astrologer can only make an excuse for failures, but not actually make a meaningful revision to the charts, practice or astrological theory (or "cause" as you put it). Emotion/personality/hearsay/etc. are not evidence at all, as they are no more objective or reliable as an anecdote of the Levitating Pasta Beast.
    It's not about making revisions to the chart but, rather, revisions of the interpretation. That's like saying "make revisions to the apple that fell," and not "make revisions to the idea of the reason and manner in which it fell."
    I won't call Astrology a "something Science" because I believe it's a religious practice.
    And it's fine that emotion or mood can't be "evidence" because I believe it is a real and tangible idea.

I'm not saying astrology cannot be falsified. It can, and has been. A 1985 double-blind study published in Nature involved 28 astrologers who were asked to match 226 natal charts to certain psychological profiles generated by the California Psychological Inventory questionnaire. The astrologers were chosen by the astrological organization the National Council for Geocosmic Research, who advised the researchers, helped ensure the test was fair.
    I wouldn't consider Astrology as "attempting Psychology." Yes, it can attempt to describe personality, which is in the realm of Psychology, but it does not deal with diagnosing mental disorders, or it just shouldn't, in my opinion. I can name any three personality or mental disorders for any one Natal Chart, but I have to know that it's actually a natal chart to begin with. Then I would just point out aspects that would cause internal struggle in their lives due to their base, as a person. I would never start diagnosing mental disorders by looking at a Birth Chart because I believe that's irresponsible and grandiose. Now, if that same person when to a Psychologist, was diagnosed, and sought treatment outside of medication, I could certainly attempt a type of Counseling. But I am not a licensed counselor, either. So my methods are not profession or even helpful for everyone. But I can definitely pin-point aspects of their personality that cause them to act out (however that may be) and suggest ways in which to ease that internal struggle. But, like aural cleansing, chakra balancing massage, and other such spiritual therapies, their power comes from the individual's belief that it can work and that it does work. Any religion that claims to heal comes from all parties and collective belief. Whether it truly works, or not, can be blamed on belief (or lack thereof), or fate (either positive or negative).
    But that one chart can be used a multitude of varying ways within the Astrological community. So there's that.

But I would be wary or any Astrologer who believes themselves to be a Psychologist. Astrology can be considered "Psychological" in the vaguest of terms, but it shouldn't be considered "Psychology."

But, again, I'm not here to provide physical, tangible evidence that Astrology is universally true and applicable. If you decide not to believe, then I can accept that. But I'm also going to take advantage of my studies and understanding of Astrology to manipulate and potentially harm others. I always put it in a way that allows the other to be skeptical. I also put it in a way for the other to simply understand and think about the connection I made between energies (planets) and be able to recognize, themselves, that inner conflict can arise and that the negative outcome can be avoided. I use Astrology simply for introspection, for myself and others (Retrograde Jupiter in Leo in the 4th xP).

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Your arguments make completely no sense.

Out of all the Psychology classes I've taken, I haven't studied anything that describes or defines personality in any meaningful way. Furthermore, any of them have been generalized and largely insufficient to describe or even explain personalities. But I can admit that my research was limited (in the grand scheme of things) and largely incomplete. But I can't believe that any research and studies performed since then or before are any more accurate or descriptive.

Then you haven't finished enough classes, read the works of Maslow or delved into social psychology. Nevertheless, I never even mentioned psychology in this paragraph, I was merely stating genetics determined personality more than any other factor. You still have not answered my question -- how do you know without sufficient research or proof?

It's not about making revisions to the chart but, rather, revisions of the interpretation. That's like saying "make revisions to the apple that fell," and not "make revisions to the idea of the reason and manner in which it fell."

Why? What makes the chart so special that an astrologer could not revise it the same way a physicist could easily revise string theory should he gain evidence that it is in fact false?

I won't call Astrology a "something Science" because I believe it's a religious practice.

In your previous post you referred to astrology as being "technically a science". It is NOT a science in any manner, form, or shape. A religious practice cannot be a scientific method at the same time. Astrology is a pseudoscience.

I wouldn't consider Astrology as "attempting Psychology." Yes, it can attempt to describe personality, which is in the realm of Psychology, but it does not deal with diagnosing mental disorders, or it just shouldn't, in my opinion.

False, psychology is all about personality. Diagnosing mental disorders is NOT in any way the role of psychology; that is the job of psychiatry, two very different things. Ugh.

Astrology attempts to determine the personality and why this is the personality of a person based on certain criterion (date of birth, alignment of celestial objects, etc.). Psychology does the same thing, except with repeatable, testable, and observable methods (case studies, statistical treatments, etc.).

I can name any three personality or mental disorders for any one Natal Chart, but I have to know that it's actually a natal chart to begin with. Then I would just point out aspects that would cause internal struggle in their lives due to their base, as a person. I would never start diagnosing mental disorders by looking at a Birth Chart because I believe that's irresponsible and grandiose. Now, if that same person when to a Psychologist, was diagnosed, and sought treatment outside of medication, I could certainly attempt a type of Counseling. But I am not a licensed counselor, either. So my methods are not profession or even helpful for everyone. But I can definitely pin-point aspects of their personality that cause them to act out (however that may be) and suggest ways in which to ease that internal struggle. But, like aural cleansing, chakra balancing massage, and other such spiritual therapies, their power comes from the individual's belief that it can work and that it does work. Any religion that claims to heal comes from all parties and collective belief. Whether it truly works, or not, can be blamed on belief (or lack thereof), or fate (either positive or negative).
    But that one chart can be used a multitude of varying ways within the Astrological community. So there's that.

The 28 astrologers had a working understanding of the CPI! That's why they were chosen by the National Council for Geocentric Research (the astrological body) in the first place, aside from the fact that they were among the best astrologers in America.

What are you trying to imply? That the paper was unfair? That the statistical analysis was incorrect? That there were too many intervening variables?

How do you even explain the results, that even with a 50% margin of error the predictions were inaccurate and inconsistent with each other?

Astrology can be considered "Psychological" in the vaguest of terms, but it shouldn't be considered "Psychology."

Astrology is basically an attempt to do what psychology does using unreliable and inaccurate charts of comets, planets, and stars billions of miles away, none of which give a crap whether or not you're a risk-taker.

--

Sigh. Forgive me for being a tad bit aggressive, maybe look at it as passion for science the same way you have passion for astrology. I do take interest in Hellenistic astrology from time to time, but only as literature material.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I love reading about it in my own time I find it all very interesting. For one I notice a lot of people only know about their sun sign and had no idea that we're all born under a chart made up of houses, planets, signs, that influence different aspects of us.

To be honest I don't know why some people get so worked up about it. I think astrology is one of the many ways people use to understand things about themselves. I think we all want answers, we all want to understand ourselves more, why am I this way? Granted astrology may not be true at all, but it requires faith like other beliefs.

I know when I've read through my chart there is a lot that relates to myself, some say astrology is all just general listing so it will apply to you. Perhaps this is true. I think even if it may not be real it is just another way to look at the way you are or the things you do and see them in a different light. I've been studying tarot cards lately and there are some aspects of astrology that tie into the cards. The cards too are something you either believe in or you don't, simple as that. I've come to see that even if you don't believe and you do a reading anyway there are still lessons from each card that are useful for anyone.

Years
  • Well, that's the point. If you want to know about Astrology, there is much you have to at least know (not necessarily understand). But to give an actual answer, it would be "there is too much more to Astrology than just Signs."

Pardon my insistence, but I wouldn't consider that an actual answer. Could you give a summary of that which is "much more to Astrology than just Signs"? And what do you mean by "that's the point"? Is the point of astrology simply to know a lot of things? And should we value knowledge for its own sake? What's the point of knowing something if you can't understand it? or use it? or if it doesn't matter whether you believe in it or not?

Years
  • Your arguments make completely no sense.
    That's because I'm just making them up as I go. xP
    I don't claim to be a Psychologist or Scientist...so I shouldn't speak as if I do. I mean, I have a basic understanding, but that's it. :/

Then you haven't finished enough classes, read the works of Maslow or delved into social psychology. Nevertheless, I never even mentioned psychology in this paragraph, I was merely stating genetics determined personality more than any other factor. You still have not answered my question -- how do you know without sufficient research or proof?
    No, I don't know all there is to know about Psychology, so I definitely haven't had enough classes. I was basing my answer off the limited knowledge I have of the subject.
    And you don't have to mention something for me to use it in a counter-argument.
    The studies and articles I've read showed both sides, that genetics play a part and that they don't. Again, I haven't read all or even many studies or articles, thus my knowledge is limited.
    I know through interaction with others and practicing.

Why? What makes the chart so special that an astrologer could not revise it the same way a physicist could easily revise string theory should he gain evidence that it is in fact false?
    My point was that you can't change where the planets were at the time of birth from the perspective on the point on the earth where that person was born. It's not about adjusting the chart, it's about adjusting the definitions/descriptions/meanings.

In your previous post you referred to astrology as being "technically a science". It is NOT a science in any manner, form, or shape. A religious practice cannot be a scientific method at the same time. Astrology is a pseudoscience.
    You are right. I looked up the literal definition, and Astrology does not fall within the realm of physical or natural studies. It's not a natural or physical study. It's completely spiritual.
    And, semantically, pseudoscience is the accepted term, but I just don't like the idea of calling a spiritual/religious practice any kind of "science," even "pseudo.

False, psychology is all about personality. Diagnosing mental disorders is NOT in any way the role of psychology; that is the job of psychiatry, two very different things. Ugh.
    That was the failing of my psychology professors and classes, then. But thank you for letting me know.

The 28 astrologers had a working understanding of the CPI! That's why they were chosen by the National Council for Geocentric Research (the astrological body) in the first place, aside from the fact that they were among the best astrologers in America.

What are you trying to imply? That the paper was unfair? That the statistical analysis was incorrect? That there were too many intervening variables?

How do you even explain the results, that even with a 50% margin of error the predictions were inaccurate and inconsistent with each other?
    I wonder how they determined that they were "the best." Just curious.

And I wasn't implying anything because I went off on a tangent. I just think the study proved something about Astrology that I knew was true to begin with. If they were to define mental disorders, then that is something any and all Astrologers will misinterpret. Since they are told to find something, they will. But they don't truly know their current environment and what they childhood brought out of them, in particular. I just thought it was a foolish thing to study because, to me, it was obvious.

Sigh. Forgive me for being a tad bit aggressive, maybe look at it as passion for science the same way you have passion for astrology. I do take interest in Hellenistic astrology from time to time, but only as literature material.
    No, I appreciate the criticism. I never shy away from disagreements and debates (especially ones so educated and informative). I like being made to think critically, and when I'm wrong, it's almost a thrill.
    But, whenever I introduce the subject to people who've never had a reading, I say to take it with a grain of salt. I also say "I'm not a Psychologist/Psychiatrist, Counselor, Doctor, or anyone with a license that is certified to diagnose or cure anything." It's merely an interesting way to look at someone's personality and pinpoint possible conflicts with oneself or others. I only use it for reflection, not a cure.

I love reading about it in my own time I find it all very interesting. For one I notice a lot of people only know about their sun sign and had no idea that we're all born under a chart made up of houses, planets, signs, that influence different aspects of us.

To be honest I don't know why some people get so worked up about it. I think astrology is one of the many ways people use to understand things about themselves. I think we all want answers, we all want to understand ourselves more, why am I this way? Granted astrology may not be true at all, but it requires faith like other beliefs.

I know when I've read through my chart there is a lot that relates to myself, some say astrology is all just general listing so it will apply to you. Perhaps this is true. I think even if it may not be real it is just another way to look at the way you are or the things you do and see them in a different light. I've been studying tarot cards lately and there are some aspects of astrology that tie into the cards. The cards too are something you either believe in or you don't, simple as that. I've come to see that even if you don't believe and you do a reading anyway there are still lessons from each card that are useful for anyone.
    Yeah, and that's just scratching the surface of Astrology. -_- It's exhausting to think about.

I think they have a problem with people trying to use Astrology as some form of legitimate counseling psychological evaluation. Atheists, in particular, will be quick to defend the provable, physical facts that prove Astrology cannot be true or trusted.

That's exactly the way in which I look at it. But I wonder, did you learn about the Qualities, Elements, and Energies of the Signs and what the Planets energies are and where, in one's life, the Houses are? I'm just wondering. But I've learned that any description about any of these things are not entirely complete and can be interpreted similarly, but also differently, depending upon who's interpreting what. I wouldn't mind reading your chart, only if you're curious to hear what I have to say and how that can differ from definitions on the internet or in books.

But be careful of "studying" Tarot. It's much more intuitive than Astrology. You shouldn't be reading any booklet or pamphlet about each card's meaning and if it differs due to orientation when it's pulled. How it's pulled, who pulls it, even who can touch the deck in general, and how it should be shuffled (if at all) is determined by the deck itself, which will be communicated to the owner. Still, one should never buy their own Tarot deck because, if you are even meant to have and practice with one, it is fated to you and you will find it or it will be gifted to you.
    For example, my friend, who's a medium, bought me my deck. It was unusual that I was even present. But me and my girlfriend bought her deck while she waited outside. And she and I bought my girlfriend a deck when she wasn't even around.
    Each of the decks were chosen because they synergized with the energy of the individual. And now, whenever each of us uses our decks, we don't flip through a pamphlet and read it word-for-word. Still, the way we lay out the cards and what they mean in that spread varies reading-to reading. It's meaning comes from what our intuition tells us from connecting with the energy of the deck itself and all the cards present at the time. We also don't do conventional spreads. We keep flipping or picking cards until it feels "right." Tarot is completely intuitive and only felt through aura/energy.

Pardon my insistence, but I wouldn't consider that an actual answer. Could you give a summary of that which is "much more to Astrology than just Signs"? And what do you mean by "that's the point"? Is the point of astrology simply to know a lot of things? And should we value knowledge for its own sake? What's the point of knowing something if you can't understand it? or use it? or if it doesn't matter whether you believe in it or not?
    It wasn't meant to be a legitimate answer. The one thing you should know about Astrology is "value it as much as you care to."

And knowledge should be sought for its own sake all the time. We just live in a culture that doesn't value knowledge or research for the sake of greater understanding of the world. There are people that study religions they don't follow. There are people that study cultures that they don't follow or even agree with. The point is merely understanding that it exists and people use/practice it and for their own gains. If you actually wish to learn to use it, it will take years to fully understand everything there is to know about Astrology because it covers so much area in the metaphysical world and that there are different types and different ways in which to interpret and practice Astrology.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Yeah, and that's just scratching the surface of Astrology. -_- It's exhausting to think about.

I think they have a problem with people trying to use Astrology as some form of legitimate counseling psychological evaluation. Atheists, in particular, will be quick to defend the provable, physical facts that prove Astrology cannot be true or trusted.

That's exactly the way in which I look at it. But I wonder, did you learn about the Qualities, Elements, and Energies of the Signs and what the Planets energies are and where, in one's life, the Houses are? I'm just wondering. But I've learned that any description about any of these things are not entirely complete and can be interpreted similarly, but also differently, depending upon who's interpreting what. I wouldn't mind reading your chart, only if you're curious to hear what I have to say and how that can differ from definitions on the internet or in books.

But be careful of "studying" Tarot. It's much more intuitive than Astrology. You shouldn't be reading any booklet or pamphlet about each card's meaning and if it differs due to orientation when it's pulled. How it's pulled, who pulls it, even who can touch the deck in general is determined by the owner. Still, one should never buy their own Tarot deck because, if you are even meant to have and practice with one, it is fated to you and you will find it or it will be gifted to you.
    For example, my friend, who's a medium, bought me my deck. It was unusual that I was even present. But me and my girlfriend bought her deck while she waited outside. And she and I bought my girlfriend a deck when she wasn't even around.
    Each of the decks were chosen because they synergized with the energy of the individual. And now, whenever each of us uses our decks, we don't flip through a pamphlet and read it word-for-word. It's meaning comes from what our intuition tells us and all the cards present at the time. We also don't do conventional spreads. We keep flipping or picking cards until it feels "right." Tarot is completely intuitive and only felt through aura/energy.

Qualities and elements yes, energies I'm not so sure what you mean so I'm going to say no. I've just been trying to understand the planets and houses more. I think I generally understand the planets I just don't have them memorized yet, houses on the other hand I need to learn more about. I've briefly gone over them, but nothing too significant. Anyway I'd love to have you read my chart! For a while now I've been meaning to take my chart to a professional or have it professionally done and read to me, but it would be awesome if you wanted to give me your thoughts on it. I can pm you my info!

As for what you said about tarot, it's too late I already bought a deck lol. I bought the rider waite deck since it's good for beginners. I see tarot as your inner guide connecting to you through the cards. I've seen two approaches to tarot. One is being so exact and doing everything so specifically and the other way is more of "what is meant to come through will come through." I believe in the second more lax approach. I've read to trust my intuition and take from the images on the cards. I like to do a mix approach of the meanings of the cards and also what I personally feel from the card. I change styles depending on how strong of a feeling I'm getting during a reading. I personally really like doing spreads because I enjoy piecing the story together, but I admit it's fun to do your own thing. Really tarot to me is just trusting your inner voice/guide and doing what feels right to you.

Years
  • Qualities and elements yes, energies I'm not so sure what you mean so I'm going to say no. I've just been trying to understand the planets and houses more. I think I generally understand the planets I just don't have them memorized yet, houses on the other hand I need to learn more about. I've briefly gone over them, but nothing too significant. Anyway I'd love to have you read my chart! For a while now I've been meaning to take my chart to a professional or have it professionally done and read to me, but it would be awesome if you wanted to give me your thoughts on it. I can pm you my info!
    Energies are Yin and Yang. Positive and Negative (polarity, as in one is outward and one is inward).
    But I'm, personally, suspicious of anyone who's a professional Astrologist, only because I feel they are very specific and analytical about reading it, which is fine, but it they don't just feel the person or look at the chart intuitively. But then, I can't say that since I've never met anyone in real life who is actually a professional...so there's that. But I'm with you in wanting to do that, but it can be pretty expensive. Some professionals can charge $300 for a complete overview, which isn't even everything or focusing on something specific that you actually have trouble with, personally.

I'll look at your chart, though. I'll think about it overnight and type something up tomorrow, for you. :)

As for what you said about tarot, it's too late I already bought a deck lol. I bought the rider waite deck since it's good for beginners. I see tarot as your inner guide connecting to you through the cards. I've seen two approaches to tarot. One is being so exact and doing everything so specifically and the other way is more of "what is meant to come through will come through." I believe in the second more lax approach. I've read to trust my intuition and take from the images on the cards. I like to do a mix approach of the meanings of the cards and also what I personally feel from the card. I change styles depending on how strong of a feeling I'm getting during a reading. I personally really like doing spreads because I enjoy piecing the story together, but I admit it's fun to do your own thing. Really tarot to me is just trusting your inner voice/guide and doing what feels right to you.
    Well, you can certainly buy your own Tarot deck, but you have to be able to understand yourself objectively, spiritually, and emotionally, which hardly anyone can.
    As for reading, it's really up to what you feel you should do, and some people are much more visual and technically specific and get as much from that as people who just feel it and go with the flow of emotion.
    Still, your deck should be an extension of yourself. It should have personality and it should talk back to you when you're being desperate and whiny xP. When you can't seem to read anything from it or you keep getting the same reading, it's making fun of you, which I have seen before, and it's amusing.

But if you should really have one, just keep your eye out for any kind of deck you see lying around, even if it doesn't look like a Tarot deck. Some people can read from a deck of cards, since it's based off a Tarot deck. Some people have even more cards in their deck than the standard and some have less. Some don't even follow the standard pattern of suits and the arcana.

Otherwise, you can go into a book store or a New Age shop yourself, if there's no one else spiritually connected to you that is interested in this sort of thing, and just meditate in front of the cards and try to sense their energy and reach for the one that pulls to you.
    But if you have medium capabilities, you will feel uneasy to the point of being sick because Tarot decks don't like being close together or in the arrangement stores put them in due to energy differences (much like a small room full of people that are completely different).

Regumika

So Graceful
    Years
  • This might be a little off topic (the concept I think is the same - in this discussion). Has anyone seen that Bill Nye video about the Universe (something about Amy Schumer - Comedy)? It was released recently. It talks about how (specifically in the video) 20's white women get "inspirations from the universe" from random things?

It makes me think of the topic of astrology. The origin of astrology was based on beliefs of multiple gods and the constellation. The constellation itself is an interesting topic because only our solar system has these constellations. Another solar system will see a different constellation (therefore these "gods" won't exist). And if tarot reading has anything to do with similar concepts.. it's hard to believe there is any validity to it. Sure it could just be the spirit realm (which has nothing to do with gods) but then why are there so many interpretations? Is astrology a language of sorts? Like studying a dead language and everyone is deciphering it differently.

EDIT: a side not, off topic. I recently read that traditional aboriginal Canadian lacross can have up to 1000 players and games would last for days. Now, this isn't the only sport in the world that would last for days and days. Makes me wonder.. does it last for days and days because back then, they had nothing else to do? I mean seriously look at today, we can do many many things, our options are vast. But back then with little technology, what are our options to spend our days? We make up stuff to occupy our minds. Create funny things - like how parents would often make up stories for their kids to believe for years and years to make life interesting as they grew up. The "fond memories" we recall even though we know that our parents (or aunts and uncles, even grandparents) just made them up and kept lying to us. Ha, ever seen Liar Liar? The Claw is a great example of something (simple) made up just to keep things interesting and fun as the boy grew up.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I treat astrology as seriously as I do tarot reading, korean shamanism, and blood type personality traits. i.e. not at all. see @Luck Hax's post as to why.

I've never been interested by pseudoscience in general because they have little, if not any connection to reality. therefore it's not worth time investing on something that might or might not be true, but if you disagree with that I won't complain as it's just my opinion.

Back