• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atheism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • I'm Christian, I believe and all, but this has turned to another Religion thread.
    OP:
    Just wanted to find out how many Pokeholics here are atheist. I am personally.

If you are, why are you?

If not, why are you not?

Simple enough.
    Let's stop giving it unnecessary and off-topic posts.

I believe because, first of all Jesus is proven to have assisted and if he didn't resurrect, why did so many people go through hell to defend and hodl on to their faith. Also so many of my prayers, even the impossible ones have been answered, God has bailed my family out of huge problems. Coincidence? I doubt it.

TheNewRocketMovement

Nothing suits me like a suit.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    I'm an Atheist, simply because (in my opinion) there is no proof.

In my eyes there's far too many contradictions in most religions for me to follow them, I believe that God and religion were created by mankind as a way of explaining things that couldn't be explained at the time (Why it rains, why the sun rises, ect) but now science can explain them. I accept the possibility that there may be a God and will respect the wishes of any religious person as long as they respect mine.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • I think the main reason I'm an Atheist is because of the many little things (ie, condradictions and prejudice) religion has. I was born into a Christian family, I was baptized and confirmed - but then, I was only a child, so people didn't let me think for myself much :/

After 17 years, I decided I didn't want religion in my life.

I respect that there's nothing wrong with believing in a 'God' or higher being. But, surely there's nothing wrong with not believing in one? :)

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    For those who say religion makes no sense, how do you see it logical that an explosion came out of literally nowhere and started everything?

Saw this, thought I'd answer with some input

Well, from my perspective, the difference is that science is always looking for answers, rather than what I see as what religion does, try to make cut and dry explanation whether or not they have all the info.

The Big Bang is a theory from a scientific view. A theory scientifically is something that has a lot of evidence pointing towards, doesn't have any evidence proving it false, and isn't seen as cut and dry. Did the big bang happen? Perhaps. Signs seem to point to it scientifically, but absolute proof is something science very rarely approaches. It could easily be wrong, should something seemingly more likely with evidence arise and a lack of contradictions that would end it. As for before it, I believe there are some theories, including possibly including string and multi-verse theories. The actual explanation of how everything came to be is something that really will likely take longer than until when humans are gone. But who knows? God's existence could very well be true, but, scientifically, it has little to absolutely no evidence.

That's why its logical.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I respect that there's nothing wrong with believing in a 'God' or higher being. But, surely there's nothing wrong with not believing in one? :)

not at all :) i don't see why people are so uptight about the subject- especially christians and Hard core atheists- my answer has always been, and always will be-
    JUST LIVE LIFE THE WAY BEST SUITED TO YOU
    how is that so hard for some people? ;)

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Actually, no.

You're kind of missing the concept of faith which is religion in itself.

The whole concept behind religion is that one believes God can do anything based on what they have read in the Bible/etc. They don't need to see Him do something like move a mountain because, faith says that he can do it. But, why should he?
    Otherwise, there is no faith within him.
    I can see how you think it's circular, and it kind of is, but really, that's what religion is in general: faith in a higher being that one entrusts the eternal soul to.
    Jesus performed the miracles to prove that He was God, and to help people in general.
    But, He didn't need to do stuff like moving mountains because faith alone is what helps you. If that makes sense. XD;

I see what you mean, but if he could prove that he was God back then to satisfy those who didn't believe him, why couldn't he do that now? Even if it wasn't moving a mountain, something like healing amputees or something else he's done. If it was based in the bible, and the bible is definately true, than these miracles must have happened before, even if he doesn't do it to prove himself as God, why not do it as a good deed as he allegedly did in the Bible? Oh no were going around the circle again.

I like The Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Celestial Teapot arguments, it really underlines the (what i consider) absurdity of most religions. Would you believe it if i said my mother was pregnant with the mesiahs next child? More importantly would my religious dad really believe it? Although, as Chibi said, its not a great idea to try and argue religion over the internet, especially as its something that we generally fight to the death over :P.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I see what you mean, but if he could prove that he was God back then to satisfy those who didn't believe him, why couldn't he do that now? Even if it wasn't moving a mountain, something like healing amputees or something else he's done. If it was based in the bible, and the bible is definately true, than these miracles must have happened before, even if he doesn't do it to prove himself as God, why not do it as a good deed as he allegedly did in the Bible? Oh no were going around the circle again.

You're missing the point again. XD

The point of Christianity and any religion for that matter is to have faith in the existence a higher being even if there's no outright obvious proof of it. This is why it's rather futile to try and convert a theist into an atheist or vice-versa. If you've got faith, it's hard to understand why people can't feel God's presence. If you haven't got faith, it's hard to understand how people can feel God's presence. From my experience, it's the ability or inability to have faith in said higher power that is the insurmountable wall that perpetually separates atheists and theists.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, since I don't give a damn about being flamed because I'M aware that this is just a forum filled with people I will never meet and have no consequence to fear, I'm atheist because it's logical. No decent God in my mind would let murder, rape, and other atrocities to our society happen. On a more practical level, I haven't seen him or any of his "miracles." God was a clever little story made up by power-hungry and greedy imbeciles long ago to keep populations in check and weasel a few dollars out of it themselves.

I've had family members imprisoned because of lies, friends dead way too soon, and the universal softener I've always received is "he was taken for a reason, he's in a better place."

Bullsh--.

God's only looking out for himself, in that case - not my personal feelings and sanity.

Know how they say "God never gives you more than you can handle"? Tell that to the people on this planet who kill themselves every 30 seconds.

Religion is all an easily refutable pile of nonsense. A crutch to mask reality and placate a tortured soul.

Now flame away - I embrace it.
    This is how I feel about the BS that my whole family used to shove down my throat,at least they leave me alone now.

Flipnotic

shroomylove.blogspot.com
    Years
  • im an atheist :)
    because i do not believe in any sort of wizardry lol.
    to me, the bible and most religious stuff is practically wizardry.
    i do love harry potter though lol.

im more into science than reading a book written of many different people praising someone so selfish.

Grexx

Angel of Truth
    Years
  • I am an athiest. Once was a devout Christian, not anymore.

Why?

Atheism

Serious answer: Because I find religion to be absurd. It's obvious we just make up these "gods" for our own benefit. Too many people has died and sacrificed their lives for this load of donkey terds. It's time for a change.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • You're missing the point again. XD

The point of Christianity and any religion for that matter is to have faith in the existence a higher being even if there's no outright obvious proof of it. This is why it's rather futile to try and convert a theist into an atheist or vice-versa. If you've got faith, it's hard to understand why people can't feel God's presence. If you haven't got faith, it's hard to understand how people can feel God's presence. From my experience, it's the ability or inability to have faith is the insurmountable wall that perpetually separates atheists and theists.
    Atheists actually have faith in a few things actually. Evolution for one :3
    Really nobody can tell if evolution happened because nobody was there to record it. Even though Atheists have been proven wrong with the evolution theory, like the fact that no missing link fossils have ever been discovered. You still have faith that evolution is correct and nothing else is.
    troll pl0x.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Really nobody can tell if evolution happened because nobody was there to record it. Even though Atheists have been proven wrong with the evolution theory, like the fact that no missing link fossils have ever been discovered. You still have faith that evolution is correct and nothing else is.
    troll pl0x.

Wow. What are you talking about? It hasn't been proven wrong. Do you even know how science works? If it was legitimately proven wrong, then science would had dismissed it then. Thats how science works. Its not considered as a theory until it has significant evidence, and should it be proven wrong, it is thrown out, or molding to something that is still supported by a significant evidence pool without that contradiction that proved the prior version wrong.

By the way, here's a definition of faith from a dictionary:
    Dictionary.com said:
    faith - belief that is not based on proof
    Opposite of science

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • Wow. What are you talking about? It hasn't been proven wrong. Do you even know how science works? If it was legitimately proven wrong, then science would had dismissed it then. Thats how science works. Its not considered as a theory until it has significant evidence, and should it be proven wrong, it is thrown out, or molding to something that is still supported by a significant evidence pool without that contradiction that proved the prior version wrong.

By the way, here's a definition of faith from a dictionary:

Opposite of science

10 minutes and already a troll has appeared :D

link

But you still don't have legitimate proof on evolution, therefor you still have "Faith"
    Thats why its still a theory :P

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    10 minutes and already a troll has appeared :D

link

But you still don't have legitimate proof on evolution, therefor you still have "Faith"
    Thats why its still a theory :P

I'm a troll because you don't understand science? I took a quick look at your link. and most of it is just stupid. It says evolution is wrong because it compares things to DARWIN'S theory. Do you have any idea how much it has changed since then? Its irrelevant, you're comparing modern knowledge to a theory that is out-of-date.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I don't really know what to believe. I mean.. both theories (evolution+intelligent design) are highly flawed. But... to be honest... I don't really care. I guess that if I had to choose... I would be labeled an athiest, or agnostic. I don't reject the idea of there being a god.. I just tend to put my mind to more practical things.

I mean, when/if we do eventually find out who/what made us... nothing will really change.. bar the fact we will stop wasting time on a truly trivial matter.

Also,Chibi Robo, Theo... having a debate about which theory is right.. is really not the intent the OP had.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • I'm a troll because you don't understand science? I took a quick look at your link. and most of it is just stupid. It says evolution is wrong because it compares things to DARWIN'S theory. Do you have any idea how much it has changed since then? Its irrelevant, you're comparing modern knowledge to a theory that is out-of-date.
    Ok then how has it changed?
    Because last time I checked Mr. Darwin said I was a monkey.

Also,Chibi Robo, Theo... having a debate about which theory is right.. is really not the intent the OP had.
    This is on a matter of theory v.s. religion.
    I'm also sick and tired of these atheist threads popping up once a week and I'm taking a stand for it.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

It evolved with every new discovery. Darwin's theory was an early idea for it. Its like the first cars. Compare them to today. New information, technology, and insight has brought about rapid advancements to cars. The same goes for the theory of evolution. Its changed like that, new discoveries, technologies, and such have brought about advancements to the theory to fit with modern knowledge. Like the car, the original concept serves as the base for the modern version. It is changes and continues to change. I'm not well versed enough in the actual current theory to explain the specific detail of how it changed, but this is just how the scientific method works. The scientific method is designed to weed out what has been proven untrue and to promote those with significant evidence. Without either of the above, it proves to be indifferent towards them. Religion falls into the indifferent category. Although it can't be proven wrong, for which I give it its credit as possible for, it also has little to no evidence to prove it at all.

I'm also sick and tired of these atheist threads popping up once a week and I'm taking a stand for it.
    Haha, aren't you just so ignorant? Its not about this debate, as was said. Read the first post, and that's what this thread is supposed to be about. Really, we shouldn't be getting off topic like this

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    troll pl0x.

Okay I usually avoid these topics on forums as this is literally what I do for a living and I almost feel like I'm cheating when I come into an environment like this and just walk in and cast Death on the entire room..

BUT..

Those two things are probably the two single least intelligent posts on this entire forum. I'm not calling the poster dumb, just that those posts were unintelligent. They have no real backing and it's really just the poster admitting that he doesn't know what evolution is and that he is uneducated on what science is.

Evolution exists. We can see it in day to day life. To argue that evolution doesn't exist is like saying the world is flat. It's outdated to argue against something so true. It's just a theory? Do you know what a scientific theory is? GRAVITY is a scientific theory. Go jump off a cliff and tell me if you don't fall down. Gravity exists, and is apparent, just as apparent as evolution.

Before I leave, I will mention that I pride myself in my intelligence, therefore consider myself an Atheist. It's nothing more than delusional to believe in some mythological creature that clearly has no real merit to his existence.

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Atheists actually have faith in a few things actually. Evolution for one :3
    troll pl0x.

Believing in the theory of evolution isn't exactly faith because there are numerous facts supporting it, but nice try anyways. I should still probably edit my post for clarity. XD

As an aside though, I'd like to point out that science and religion aren't mutually exclusive. I'm a (relatively liberal-minded) Christian and I believe in evolution. It's true that some extreme Christians will dismiss anything scientific and say, "No, God did it!!" I, on the other hand, just think of God as that guy that created the spark of life in the universe and then proceeded to watch from afar to judge us, occasionally throwing trials and tribulations at us to see how we deal with conflict. Like I said though, My personal views of God and Heaven/Hell are much more liberal-minded than other Christians...that and I have a tendency to hate organized religions. XD

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Believing in the theory of evolution isn't exactly faith because there are numerous facts supporting it, but nice try anyways. I should still probably edit my post for clarity. XD

As an aside though, I'd like to point out that science and religion aren't mutually exclusive. I'm a (relatively liberal-minded) Christian and I believe in evolution. It's true that some extreme Christians will dismiss anything scientific and say, "No, God did it!!" I, on the other hand, just think of God as that guy that created the spark of life in the universe and then proceeded to watch from afar to judge us, occasionally throwing trials and tribulations at us to see how we deal with conflict. Like I said though, My personal views of God and Heaven/Hell are much more liberal-minded than other Christians. XD

Now.. this is something that I could see happening. This is what I believe in now. xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back