• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atheism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I'm a Christian, but I think it's important to meditate on your own beliefs rather than being spoonfed what to believe.

I think if you're a religious person you have to also be a philosopher to some extent and ask yourself important questions about what you believe and set aside what you've been told.

Look at religion objectively, place it under scrutiny and question it. Think about how God could exist and what His relationship is to you. If you set aside some time just to think on these matters you'll find your answers.

For some people those answers lead them to God and that's how I found religion again after being out of touch with God.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I am an athiest and I am intolerant of those who are not.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • The Bible is, at least to some degree, chronologically wrong. There's no way in hell humans were among the first creatures on Earth(CAN we live on boiling lava?), so that part of Genesis at least, is wrong. And the Theory of Evolution(frankly, it oughta be a law by now)has far more concrete and supporting evidence than creationism.

My theory: God caused the Big Bang, making the universe. Then he allowed things to work out for themselves across the universe, including the formation of life-forms on our and at least a few other planets(odds are infinitesmally small that we are the only planet in the universe with some form of life).
    It could mean 7 godly days. Which would mean 7,000 70,000 or 700,000. Ever thought about that?

also I said that point was silly, and had no backbone. I wasn't saying atheism is silly. (also I use silly alot, why do people on pc take silly has an extreme insult?)

Years
  • Also, about the whole evidence thing, how did a thread on religion turn to evolution? Seriously, there's no evidence there was a man named Jesus who came along and turned water to wine, gave blind people their sight back and then died on a cross for it all. You can say the Bible is evidence, and yes it kind of is, but I personally do not believe a book talking about Jesus is enough to base an entire religion off of. All the readings and stories of Jesus came well after his death, from people who had never met an earthly Jesus and based their beliefs on what their ancestors told them.
    Again, that's the whole purpose of faith. :)
    faith
    –noun1.confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

2.belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact
    Ergo, the Bible is all the evidence that they need. :p

123BOOM

Lilith|Samael|Lucifer
    Years
  • i was an atheist. now i am a satanist. the bible says god will destroy earth and all humans. were all gonna die and there is nothing you can do about it. even if you belive in god, you must believe in satan. if you dont believe in god... yah

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • YAY ATHEISM seriously though its kinda like ..bleh the idea is cool, but not practical, the whole thing is about denial, i mean atheism is the denial of god unless there is proof. being agnostic is pretty much keeping your mind open to the possibilities
    Atheism is like the essence of being condescending " oh you are religious, u know there is a bunch of lies in the bible, i mean arent you advanced?" seriously thats bs
    btw look at all the trolls... THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM
    but if you look at the above posts its kinda like... hating on christianity and stuff. Kinda like.... intolerant and stuff
    maybe evelution is gods plan WHAT NOW

Last edited:
    Years
  • YAY ATHEISM seriously though its kinda like ..bleh the idea is cool, but not practical, the whole thing is about denial, i mean atheism is the denial of god unless there is proof. being agnostic is pretty much keeping your mind open to the possibilities
    Atheism is like the essence of being condescending " oh you are religious, u know there is a bunch of lies in the bible, i mean arent you advanced?" seriously thats bs
    but if you look at the above posts its kinda like... hating on christianity and stuff. Kinda like.... intolerant and stuff
    You're being condescending as well, and this post sounds pretty intolerant. ^^;
    Not all Atheists are condescending, ya know. And, you're kinda hatin' on atheism which is intolerant too :p

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    It could mean 7 godly days. Which would mean 7,000 70,000 or 700,000. Ever thought about that?

Or God, being God, just made the planet cool enough to live on in the first place. ;) The Hebrew for that passage uses "days" in a literal, typical sense. The sun comes up, the sun goes down, and that's a day. Nothing to read into.

Relevant thought- It's interesting how lots of people, even those who believe it, don't take it as literally as they would some other piece of non-fiction. The Bible is very literal, something you can tell upon seeing the Hebrew and Greek. The only exceptions tend to be visions. Plenty of things have sub-meanings and parallels, but when it says "this happened", that's what it means. End thought.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Also, about the whole evidence thing, how did a thread on religion turn to evolution? Seriously, there's no evidence there was a man named Jesus who came along and turned water to wine, gave blind people their sight back and then died on a cross for it all. You can say the Bible is evidence, and yes it kind of is, but I personally do not believe a book talking about Jesus is enough to base an entire religion off of. All the readings and stories of Jesus came well after his death, from people who had never met an earthly Jesus and based their beliefs on what their ancestors told them.

There's holes in Christianity, as there is in every other religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_christ

Yeah...whether you believe him to be the messiah or not, biblical scholars and historians can at least agree to the fact that he existed, led a life of teaching philosophy, and was ultimately crucified. XD

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years

I don't see how not believing in god makes you condescending...? I don't know, I think the way you worded it was awkward. There's a difference between denying, in my opinion, and simply not believing. To deny, to me, implies that you know it's there, but refuse to believe it.

Not all Atheists say things like that. Most can respect that people have different opinions. While we may not agree, most of us don't think any lesser about people who place their belief in religion. It's their choice, not ours. :s

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • You're being condescending as well, and this post sounds pretty intolerant. ^^;
    Not all Atheists are condescending, ya know. And, you're kinda hatin' on atheism which is intolerant too :p

woah woah woah... something says "WILD MODERATOR HAS APPEARED"

BAIT - MUD
    BALL- RUN

im going for bait
    Why did the atheist cross the road?
    He thought there might be a street on the other side, but he wouldn't believe it until he tested his hypothesis.
    Atheism is about denial, it is the refusal that there is a god unless there is proof.
    and yet if there is proof there is no faith involved
    Also every christian knows that not all of the bible is true, however the morals are very helpful in today's society as guidelines
    everyone knows not to believe everything they read. Not every christian goes around trying to burn the non believers on stakes and thinking that god created man and woman first. As times change so do the way people think of the world, so it is natural what people think of religion changes and thus no one thinks the world flooded anymore. Though is it a bad thing to think that perserving the worlds species is a positive thing for the world? no it is not.
    Ruru here is the definition of atheism in this linkBTW WOW I DIDNT THINK I WOULD GET GOOGLE CHROME TO OWN YOU LOLhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:atheist&ei=Pe3gS_TPPJOQsgPE1qCABQ&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAYQkAE

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Also every christian knows that not all of the bible is true, however the morals are very helpful in today's society as guidelines
    everyone knows not to believe everything they read. Not every christian goes around trying to burn the non believers on stakes and thinking that god created man and woman first.

As a Christian meself, I'll say, "I believe all of the Bible is true". Context is key, though.
    I... think you're getting jumbled in the details, but whatever. Unimportant. No, not all Christians look down on non-Christians. And the Creation actually ends with humans being made.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • woah woah woah... something says "WILD MODERATOR HAS APPEARED"

BAIT - MUD
    BALL- RUN

im going for bait
    He thought there might be a street on the other side, but he wouldn't believe it until he tested his hypothesis.
    Atheism is about denial, it is the refusal that there is a god unless there is proof.
    everyone knows not to believe everything they read. Not every christian goes around trying to burn the non believers on stakes and thinking that god created man and woman first. As times change so do the way people think of the world, so it is natural what people think of religion changes and thus no one thinks the world flooded anymore. Though is it a bad thing to think that perserving the worlds species is a positive thing for the world? no it is not.
    Ruru here is the definition of atheism in this linkBTW WOW I DIDNT THINK I WOULD GET GOOGLE CHROME TO OWN YOU LOLhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAYQkAE

I get where you're coming from and what you're trying to say, and I agree to an extent...but isn't there a more civil way to say it instead of simply assuming that everyone on the other side of the debate is inherently hostile?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_christ

Yeah...whether you believe him to be the messiah or not, biblical scholars and historians can at least agree to the fact that he existed, led a life of teaching philosophy, and was ultimately crucified. XD
    Oh, wow. You're countering my argument with a Wikipedia entry? Wikipedia isn't reliable, bud. Anyone can edit that.

Besides, there's no physical proof he existed. No clothing, no DNA, nothing. There's words some people wrote down from generation to generation. Sure, a Jesus may have existed, but I don't believe he was 'the son of God' and I don't believe he could perform miracles. At most, he was a prophet who spoke to his people and they lived on his every word.

I'm not saying he did not exist. I'm saying I don't think there's enough proof for me to, personally, believe he did. However, if he did, then I salute the man. He taught well, and if he truly was crucified, then I hope one day to meet him in Heaven, if it does truly exist. I'd like to thank him.

I have nothing against Christians, and what they wish to believe is their own.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It's about weighing up all the information and theories and making a decision based on what you think is the most logical explanation. To be honest, one book and a lot of preachings and claims of faith isn't really enough to make me believe in something as radical as a God. Also, there's plenty of denial in Christianity aswell, like the denial of every other religion.
    People are capable of making their own morals and guidelines. There are plenty of atheists that are good, decent people without needing a bible to tell them how to behave.
    everyone knows not to believe everything they read. Not every christian goes around trying to burn the non believers on stakes and thinking that god created man and woman first. As times change so do the way people think of the world, so it is natural what people think of religion changes and thus no one thinks the world flooded anymore.
    Once several things in the bible have been proven wrong it's hard to see the rest of it as being reliable.

Years
  • Atheism is about denial, it is the refusal that there is a god unless there is proof.
    Err, no. Faith is what religion is based on. It's belief in the Bible, and belief in Its word being true. Lol.

Not every christian goes around trying to burn the non believers on stakes and thinking that god created man and woman first.
    You say that but then you say . .
    Ruru here is the definition of atheism in this linkBTW WOW I DIDNT THINK I WOULD GET GOOGLE CHROME TO OWN YOU LOLhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&d...e&ved=0CAYQkAE

Wikipedia isn't reliable, bud. Anyone can edit that.
    What ever makes you think that? It might've been like that at one time, but now, Wikipedia is patrolled by a bunch of people who like monitor it and make sure nothing stupid is added. That's why they have the reference/sources section. :/
    If you edit crap in, it'll be fixed. And . . more than likely, you'll get a warning, or if it's severe/repeated, you'll get banned from Wikipedia. D:

For more information on whether or not Jesus existed, you might want to read this site. Apparently, he's mentioned by several non-Christian historians of the time period.
    Furthermore, you might be interested in reading this
    And specifically this as information about him existing.
    However, there's also theories about him not existing, so yeah. :B

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    im going for bait

No. I shall first answer your ridiculous intolerant joke with a ridiculous intolerant joke: Why was the Christian hit by a car? Because he didn't realise there was no street on the other side.

Now for my proper answer. In reality, an Atheist (or a logic based scientifically minded person) would check that there was a path on the other side by Stopping. Looking. Listening. performing scientific tests based on observation and logic.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • Ok, this thread is getting a bit out of hand.
    It is near impossible to change someone's opinion and better yet, RELIGION on a Pokemon forum. These types of arguments just keep going and going, spawning one attack after another until they just turn heated.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back