• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

August predictions

Years
    The Serebii website Twitter account also states there will be USM news on Pokenchi tonight.

It's happening, man down the hatches people.

Wait, Pokenchi? And I thought I lost faith in that as a news source due to their failure to reveal any new info during S/M's pre-release period. I did hear that Shigeru Ohmori was going to appear or something, so I do feel it'll be something important.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Wait, Pokenchi? And I thought I lost faith in that as a news source due to their failure to reveal any new info during S/M's pre-release period. I did hear that Shigeru Ohmori was going to appear or something, so I do feel it'll be something important.

I really don't count on that. If I remember right, we had some lame news in Pokenchi

pkmin3033

It would be unusual for Pokemon news to be confined to Japanese media now I think. Pokemon is a global franchise, and it has been for years. SM's Western sales in particular more than prove that any news, should we get it, should be released worldwide simultaneously, likely straight from Nintendo. Just because CoroCoro might not have anything doesn't mean we won't be getting anything this month.

...although in the event Japan does get something first, I'd expect a Western announcement within the day.

Last edited:

Foreigner55

Most definetly a chicken nugget
    Years
    Why is game freak keeping news from us. Pokemon is one of the big three franchises along with the likes of Mario and Zelda (who both got tons of trailers for they're new games mind you)! The more trailers they release the more money they will make! Game freak has tons of money! They can spare a few dollars (er... Yen?) into making a trailer!

pkmin3033

That said, the most important time to release trailers and provide information is in the run-up to release, and we're still three months away. Frustration of people who will likely buy the games regardless doesn't really mean much from a business standpoint.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Years
    Bad marketing strategy. Basically.

That said, the most important time to release trailers and provide information is in the run-up to release, and we're still three months away. Frustration of people who will likely buy the games regardless doesn't really mean much from a business standpoint.

She's right. Building up to a new Pokemon game release without dropping trailers from time to time would be a bad move, considering how successful the trailers were in the lead-up to S/M.

7pm Eastern Time

That should be about 6pm for me since I'm not currently in daylight savings (doesn't start again in Sydney until October 1st if I recall aka my birthday). Not too bad.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Why is game freak keeping news from us. Pokemon is one of the big three franchises along with the likes of Mario and Zelda (who both got tons of trailers for they're new games mind you)! The more trailers they release the more money they will make! Game freak has tons of money! They can spare a few dollars (er... Yen?) into making a trailer!

You're so right.
    At this point, I think there AREN'T any news to share.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    Actually no. There was no sign of ash beating alain. Ash was never gonna win the league. Past regions confirm this. Alain was better and earn the win fair and square.

As fo this months new on august, if the early corocoro thing is true then we would see it around the tenth.

Edit: bad news. Apparently the cover of corocoro mentions nothing about USUM. Looks like another month of no news.

Oh for crying the Hell out loud, not another news-less month.

Guys, don't get your hopes up... I'm afraid it looks like we're getting the original Pokémon Sun and Moon again, just with a new coat of paint and new features and forms slapped on.

If these Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are in fact a third version, like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum, then we'd better get new artwork of characters.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    True, but Ash-Greninja wasn't really that big of a deal (and barely had anything to do with Alola). A new Lycanroc form would be a bigger deal.

Edit: Nearly forgot, Corocoro leaks early during August since it releases early (on the 13th I think) as there's a Japanese holiday on the 15th. Just so you guys know.

There was also Ho-oh in the very first episode xD. There were a ton of pokemon shown in the anime before official announcements during the Original and Advance Saga. They stopped doing it in DP and beyond.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019

Guys, don't get your hopes up... I'm afraid it looks like we're getting the original Pokémon Sun and Moon again, just with a new coat of paint and new features and forms slapped on.

If these Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are in fact a third version, like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum, then we'd better get new artwork of characters.

I think you're right. I think that the reason we get no news is because there is nothing to share, except for new forms here and there.. I have a feeling its going to be a typical 3rd version. If they wanted to hype us up they would have done that by now

pkmin3033

I think there is plenty to share, just nothing that would be appropriate. I imagine the differences in USUM will be comprised mostly of the story, the postgame, and a few new Pokemon forms, and of those three things, the first two aren't really the sort of thing you'd expect to see in trailers months before the release date.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019

I mean... Isn't that what were expecting in the first place? :P

Either way, between CoroCoro and Pokenchi, I think we may actually get news this month.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017

There is actually what appears to be a new form of lycanroc on the cover of corocoro that i missed. Have to look carefully. Also news on the 6th is happening but i don't know if it is new.

I think you're right. I think that the reason we get no news is because there is nothing to share, except for new forms here and there.. I have a feeling its going to be a typical 3rd version. If they wanted to hype us up they would have done that by now
    The 6th is said to have upcoming news and a new form of lycanroc seems to be spotted on the cover of corocoro that was easily missed.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Holy jeez louise you guys. We only have one hour left, why all the negativity? There clearly is something in Corocoro, it's the customers who buy it in Japan who leak it. This is not the first time they've taken awhile to leak pages inside the magazine.

They are most likely waiting on Pokenchi to see what they show in an hour; they want to see if Corocoro and Pokenchi will be covering the same thing or not. If it's the same exact info as Pokenchi, they're not going to bother posting images. By "they" I'm talking about the people in Japan who have the magazine on hand, not Serebii.

Years
    Either way, between CoroCoro and Pokenchi, I think we may actually get news this month.

Since Pokenchi seems to have revealed our major news (announcing the new Dusk Form of Lycanroc) I think CoroCoro is only just going to cover what was shown.

pkmin3033

It'd be quite depressing if all we got this month was a Lycanroc recolour, but the month is young, so I wouldn't be too surprised if something else pops up...if nothing else, we should get a trailer in the West revealing it, so that might in turn reveal some other things, whether by accident or by design.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    There is nothing wrong with third versions. Emerald and Platinum are superb games. Third versions are improvements over first pair. I don't mind if USUM are third versions. I think it be great to go back to them. Been a while. I think we might get more than just Lycanroc for this months news.

pkmin3033

That these games will be third versions or sequels is still just an assumption, but I imagine that the quality of the content we can expect of them will be similar to those sorts of games in the past. To use a more general, all-encompassing term, re-treads of existing regions (which we know this will be at least since it's definitely set in Alola) ARE always better - even if the quality of the first games is sub-par - and there's no reason to assume that USUM won't follow this trend.

I'm not excited, but I am hoping USUM will redeem the franchise somewhat after SM turned out to be absolutely diabolical and Gen VI was a disappointment. There's no reason to get excited at all I don't think, but looking at it historically I think it safe to say they'll be the better games. I have yet to meet someone who prefers the original games in a gen to the re-treads anyway, with the possible exception of BW due to the "story" content.

I honestly can't remember what the news pattern was like for B2W2 so I have no idea if the best we can hope for this month is recoloured Lycanroc or not.

pkmin3033

That would depend on if these games are more comparable to third versions like Platinum or sequels like B2W2 - SM were very "story-focused" titles, so if they change that aspect of it in USUM, it could be a dramatic difference even for those who dislike the games, if that was their primary reason for disliking them...which is why I said Gen V was the possible exception to the "re-treads are better" thing, because some people prefer the "plot" of BW to B2W2, and if you prioritise story over gameplay, then additions to gameplay will obviously not carry as much weight as changes to story. I'd agree that the gameplay content will be more-or-less the same with additions, but if they play with the plot of USUM it could wind up being much better...or much worse, although I honestly struggle to imagine how it could be much worse.

From what I can see, people are hoping for better postgame for the most part...which I can't see ever being announced in trailers. At least, not until late September/October. Which is why I said that there is probably news, just nothing appropriate. I also think more people would be upset than not if the postgame features were leaked or revealed this early on...or at all, even. Given the fuss the datamining caused.

Last edited:
    Back