• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B & W: Proof that Pokemon has finally run out of names?

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
  • The theme to B/W is ying and yang isn't it? And the Ying and Yang are represented by Reshiram and Zekrom, and like we have seen before, the colour of the title is named after the mascot. Like Pearl for Palkia and Green for Venasaur and Sapphire for Kyogre wtc. So the theme of the name makes sense and the fact that the mascots are the colours of the title, black and white, makes sense also. I love the name!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    But Black and White aren't colors. They are the two ends of the color spectrum, but are not colors themselves. Black is the Absence of Color while White is the over abundance of all the color mixed.

(I know that is primarily used for light, but without light we wouldn't have color to begin with.)

Red and Green were the first colors released, later on Blue came into the picture. (odd relation seeing how Red, Green, and Blue are the three colors that our eyes pick up the easiest and use to merge into other colors {TV Screen Colors} while Yellow was an English replacement for the third for the first series, although technically the Fourth for Generation 1. Yellow, Red, and Blue are also Primaries.

Gen 2 is Precious Metal, but at the same time, Colors as well as Gold and Silver are colors. Crystal being a Gem stone.

Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald. Start of the new coding for Pokemon which caused a rift to form between the Generations 1 and 2 and all the future Generations to follow. Also Gem stones whose colors are Red, Blue, and Green (First Generation Irony?)

Diamond and Pearl are precious stones, while Platinum goes back into Metal. *reversal of Generation 2*

Now Black, absence of color and White, all colors combined. Though not technically colors themselves.

Really running out of names was never a concept as they basically recycled ideas since Gen 3. Black and White are a new step forward that broke away from the repeated cycle.

As for possible of Gen 6. We are still 5 years too early for that to even be considered. (Is guessing at ample time as since Gen 3, it took about a year or so for a third to appear and then two or so for the revamps, then another Year+ for a new generation to appear.)

I believe that Game Freak did state they were making an off brand for the Wii to compliment the new Black and White titles. Plus we still have side series to wait for such as a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or even Pokemon Ranger. Who knows we may even get a brand new side series altogether.

Jak

daяk εco frεak
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 23, 2014
    I thought the names Black and White were nice. I dunno, I just enjoy the two colors (I'm not calling them some scientific name, sorry).

As for the black characters, it's about bloody time they included them. But like Hiiro said, since Unova is based on New York and not a region in Japan, it's more plausible since there ain't gunna be a bunch of black people walkin' down the streets of Tokyo.

Jak

daяk εco frεak
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 23, 2014
    I find the titles [Black and White] fitting :D, but the annoying thing is, immature kids are gonna shout out 'RACIST' and random crap like that. :\

To be honest, I think that phase has diminished. When the names Black and White were first announced, that's essentially all people said. I haven't seen any crap about that in months. So I don't expect it to be too big of an issue anymore. But it's very immature, I agree.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    No, I like the names actually and I had predicted these titles actually for Gen V. For Gen VI I'm thinking of Jade & Amber...

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Black and White... frankly, I was expecting these names for a long time. A simple way to get a name for a few games.

This. I wouldn't be surprised if they named their ultra good reboot (Ex: Crystal, Emerald), Pokemon Gray. Frankly, I wouldn't be too mad.

It's better than Pokemon: Ancient Days. Frankly, it's simplicity is good. They also have other colors, Ex: Peach, Turquoise, Purple, Fuchsia, Etc...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I like the simplicity of Black and White, because it heightens the Yin and Yang theme they have going on :)

Agreed. Not only that but in the region, there is Black City and White Forest as a game exclusive that's in response to the names. A town/city hasn't been named after the titles of the games nor an exclusive before, so the simplicity of Black and White allows there to be such in the games, and I like that about it.

Sure they've gone back a route for the names, but it's not half bad really imo.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

• Agreed. Not only that but in the region, there is Black City and White Forest as a game exclusive that's in response to the names. A town/city hasn't been named after the titles of the games nor an exclusive before, so the simplicity of Black and White allows there to be such in the games, and I like that about it.

Sure they've gone back a route for the names, but it's not half bad really imo.
    I don't think the names had anything to do with those places...GF could have made a Emerald Tower if they wanted but didn't...
    Though they are simple and nice and go back to Gen I's roots similar to how Gen III went back by having stones that share the same colors with the games ex: Red (Ruby), Green (Emerald) and Blue (Sapphire) :) only BW introduced new Colors (well shades to be correct but some consider them colors...)

The Red Chain

At first, I thought the same thing. I thought, "Wow, they are really out of ideas.". But, as time passed on I began to love the names. I mean, if you wanna say they ran out of ideas for names, we can go back to the Red/Green/Blue/Yellow era. Pretty much the same deal. The ideas for the colors came from the mascots mainly, just as it did with Black and White. The difference is that Black and White have the extra significance to Yin and Yang, while RGBY did not really have a relationship like that.

That alone gives them some creativity points in my eyes. :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2018
    I don't mind the names "Black & White", also having played through the games, I like some of the Pokemon better than some of those in Gen 3 and 4.

Another thing IMO, is that while the English names for the Pokemon are not the greatest, the Japanese names still have appeal :)

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I love Black and White, but the names sound like Game Freak ran out of ideas. It's really hard to get used to them. Which makes me fear for the future (Gen 6)...

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
  • I actually really love the names. Black and White... yin and yang... I love yinyang, so Black and White are my fave Pokemon games~
    Really awesome names.

I don't think they have run out of names. There are tons of colours and gems and other things they can name the versions after.

Back