• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I know. But it was necessary. Macho did not understand the true essence of lewdness.
    I had to educate him. It was hitsuzen.
    macho needing to be taught the true essence of lewdness...never thought I'd hear that before I died.

its games like these where i wish I have PeePee's massive optimism (and E-cock) that we are not going to have a next-gen video game sh*t show crash of the new millenia.
    Eh? I mean, that's nothing new, and it won't sell well. It certainly isn't as big as something like Oneechanbara or Lollipop Chainsaw. Games like that pretty much always have clickbait titles because they don't really have much else to go on.

pkmin3033

You can increase it up to 30 minute intervals. And pressing Share button twice begins recording and you can stop it at any time or wait for it to time out. Just set record again once times out.
    You can? I could have sworn the maximum time was 15 minutes...ehhh. I don't have any games worth showcasing right now anyway if I can't comment.

...which makes noooo sense, because it's the official mic that came with the PS4 I'm trying to use ._.

I know. But it was necessary. Macho did not understand the true essence of lewdness.
    I had to educate him. It was hitsuzen.
    For great justice?

Sir Codin

When you play Skyrim with realism mods or even just game dedicated to medieval warfare realism, you start to really appreciate how much of a tactical advantage maces/axes can have against dudes in metal armor.

Or how much tactical advantage archers have over pretty much everyone.....

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Boy, time flies when you have a good game. Got Watch_Dogs a month ago.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Really? I dont mean to be Mr. Negative, but that game was a sign of a very bad change in the industry for me. The start of disappointment after disappointment...

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Really? I dont mean to be Mr. Negative, but that game was a sign of a very bad change in the industry for me. The start of disappointment after disappointment...

Got it for $20. I find it really enjoyable. I can always enjoy a good Ubisoft open world game. And I've only completed Act I so far. Just been doing tons and tons of side missions and quests. Will probably get Watch_Dogs 2 a month or so after it comes out.

pkmin3033

Watch_Dogs was the start of the bad changes in the industry for you? How on earth did you ignore all the disappointment and corporate bollocks that came before it? That game wasn't even a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things...

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    Since EvilChameleon is enjoying the game, I supposed they actually fixed most of the bugs and what was wrong with the game? That would be impressive, since the game was laughable at release, which is where the whole controversy even comes from. But yeah, Watchdogs was just a case that sort of crashed and burned at release. They still didn't ruin the industry like Bethesda and EA did with their DLC crap and season passes. There's always the option not to buy a game you don't like, but Bethesda and EA ruin games YOU LIKE. Sometimes literally by casualizing it and removing features, other times they introduce pointless DLCs and season passes. I mean with season passes you have no idea what you'll get, and we saw how many good DLCs Fallout 4 got for them 50 dollars.

pkmin3033

A season pass has always been an unjustifiable leap of faith in my opinion; in a lot of ways it's even more risky than a Kickstarter because you have absolutely no idea what you're paying for or how long you're going to be kept waiting for it...reputable Kickstarter projects at least give you regular updates, with a Season Pass you'll get typical months of silence. God only knows what Dark Souls III's season pass is going to have, for example.

Corporate greed is rampant in the industry today. We're already being asked to pay absurd prices for games that have had bits and pieces cut away from them so they can be sold back to us as DLC for outrageous prices, being asked to prove we purchased something repeatedly through DRM - although thankfully that isn't quite as prominent as it was a couple of years ago - and thrown season passes with minimal information and/or minimal content for the price...and then Game of the Year editions a year or two later which are much cheaper than what we paid for the game when it was brand new! Never mind that trade-in prices are usually horrific.

Sometimes, I really hope that Indie developers and reputable publishers breaking away from corporations for Kickstarter-funded projects cause the AAA industry to collapse. God knows it deserves to.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    I really hate how two faced people generally are when it comes to these things. Everyone complains about DLCs and season passes when a "bad" company releases them, but praises and buys DLC from companies they like. Like how people bought Fallout 4 season pass, but at the same time complained about Konami milking MGSV with 1$ costumes, which were also in a bundle that made them cheaper. Same goes for Overwatch and Battleborn. Overwatch has microtransactions, everything is cool. Battleborn adds them and everybody loses their mind.

So like, either support all DLC or hate all. There is no such thing as good and bad DLC, there's just 'lesser evil" in sense that you're not obligated to buy a costume, but feel obligated to get a character or story DLC. That's why I still think that Koei is lesser evil for only making cosmetic DLCs, but at the same time hate them because it's killing the good old days of unlocking costumes by being good. I assume at least some people here played Tomb Raider Legend. How awesome was it when you were rewarded extra costumes for finding artifacts? I remember looking for 100% specifically because of the costumes, and well, I was 14 at the time and Lara was always popular here. When the new one came out, I did the same, went for 100%, collected everything. What did I get? Nothing, just concept art I could google. Extra costumes? Well of course, there are extra costumes, you just have to buy the DLC.

EA is still probably the worst offender when it comes to that. 50$ season passes at release for competitive games, where season pass is essential if you want to play for long, countless Sims expansion packs that add cool stuff but cost WAY TOO MUCH for what they are.

pkmin3033

It's not about being "two-faced" or anything of the sort, it's about what you feel is value for money and what isn't; what provides a meaningful addition that you're prepared to pay for, and what you feel should have been included in the first place because of how utterly trivial and unimportant it is. If it's so trivial and unimportant why do people complain? Simple human nature, and some of us can remember when these things WERE included, so naturally we're going to complain about it.

That said, DLC is not an entirely negative thing, as it allows developers to keep supporting their titles with additional content after the game's initial release, and some companies - not many, but some - do use DLC this way. Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U is a good example of DLC done right, where you had free, trivial content and more meaningful game modes in the form of patches on top of the paid downloadable content packs which gave you additional characters. Typically, DLC with large campaign expansions is generally regarded as worth the purchase too, as it takes some time to develop it, is clearly not cut content, and extends the life of the game by a reasonable amount for what you are being asked to pay.

Microtransactions are a question of presentation and honesty. If a game has microtransactions to begin with, then you know what you're getting into; you're prepared to accept that you're going to have to pay more on top of the asking price unless you're willing to put up with not having a few things. A game without microtransactions is implied to be a complete experience - even without considering the DLC that might cut out small things - and suddenly adding them in is completely outrageous; it's introducing a pay-to-play economy into a title that was originally advertised without it.

All DLC, no matter what it is, is a single one-time purchase: once you've bought it, it's yours to keep. Microtransactions are a continual, steady drain on resources that you have to keep buying for the optimum experience, or what is implied to be the optimum experience. The only thing the two have in common apart from being additional purchases outside of the base game is that they create a has-and-has-not psychology; where you're going to feel pressured to buy these things otherwise you're going to feel like you're not going to get the full experience, or one equivalent to what other people are getting and, in a multiplayer-focused game in particular, that's a huge factor. The biggest difference is that pay-to-play factor that comes with microtransactions, which is NOT something you expect in a so-called AAA title you already blew £50/$60+ on. When they're not there to begin with, it's tantamount to false advertising. It's poor customer treatment at the very least.

The bottom line is that some people are going to feel that some DLC is worth their money and that some isn't. A lot of people see it as mandatory because of what it is and how it is presented, although personally I've always seen DLC as optional addition: if it's going to enhance my experience, no matter what it is, I'm going to buy it. If it doesn't, I'm going to ignore it...well, more likely I'm going to complain about it, but that's human nature. It's not particularly two-faced to have standards. What IS two-faced is the practices of the AAA industry and the whole psychology behind DLC and microtransactions. Sometimes developers just push a little too far, but then we do encourage them by buying the things in the first place.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Since EvilChameleon is enjoying the game, I supposed they actually fixed most of the bugs and what was wrong with the game? That would be impressive, since the game was laughable at release, which is where the whole controversy even comes from. But yeah, Watchdogs was just a case that sort of crashed and burned at release.
    Oh, nonononononono

Nononono

Nono. It's still a mediocre romp. The bugs weren't what got it it's low ratings, after all, it mostly came from the game being designed as an Open World Sandbox where you can hack things rather than an Open World Sandbox designed around that same idea. And when you throw the hacking out of the window then you just have a standard Open World with a forgettable protag and sparse attention to compelling design.

If they did actually fix that, I'd've bought the game the many times it went on sale for a low low price. But after what they did to the PC version and the overall lack of staying power...well. I will say that I can see someone having legitimate fun with it. It's not bad, I wouldn't say, just pretty damn mediocre. But there is some fun to be had.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I've run into zero bugs. Toughest thing is not running over civilians in a car chase.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Yeah I didn't have any bugs (that I can remember) I just felt it was...

Well I can compare it to a bottle of flat soda that you didnt know was flat. Super disappointing.

Sir Codin

Sometimes, I really hope that Indie developers and reputable publishers breaking away from corporations for Kickstarter-funded projects cause the AAA industry to collapse. God knows it deserves to.
    I hope not.

Your wish might cost me a job opportunity. I have a minor network that's gotten me word that someone in a video game company might think I'm a good hire for game tester.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I dunno what's with some of you people and simply starting to hate a company that has risen up to mainstream AAA status. Is it so bad that a certain something someone gets into A to S level status?

Do some of you guys really have to equate these companies into sellouts? Because that's pretty much what I hear from this chat. I could be wrong though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    I can clearly understand the hate that some members here and there, and everywhere about how successful video game companies can suddenly get over their heads and be branded by the populace as "sellouts" but it does make me sick and tired of hearing what some of you smarks out here often rant about.

They want to be successful. That's the way a business goes. You don't want your favorite developers to become rising megastars then stop buying their games and just pirate the sh*t out of what they have.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back