• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Backwards Compatible?

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I'll rather they don't allow cheating devices to work on X and Y...it makes competitive battles boring...and one sided on the cheaters side as they tend to have perfect Pokémon.

It's rumored that GF has already thought of a method, except we'll have to pay for it...as it's an app according to the rumor on the eshop...

I wanna see different battle mechanics so that I can use farfetche on a team and win

Years
    If I'm honest, when I first came to this thread moments ago I was on the side of wanting backwards compatibility, however, after reading some of the above posts regarding cheating, hacking and a need for refreshing the rarity of some of these Pokémon, I've been swayed.

I completely agree. It'll make battling very real again, and not living in fear of battling a Sableye with Wonder Guard (that's happened to me).

Either way I'll be happy I guess. If they bring it back then I'll bring my Pokémon from my older games and I'll smile, but if they don't bring it back then it's going to be very refreshing! :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    I am sure that sooner or later hackers will find their way to X Y so people will be able to make their own Pokemon there as well.
    As it stands right now, the 3DS hasn't yet been cracked. That is also the reason why there is no 3ds emulator. Until it gets cracked, there will be no reliable method to RNG abuse, and it will be very difficult/near impossible to import hacks.

I personally hope that Nintendo has made the console with tight coding in place to make it unhackable, but really, it's only a matter of time if someone's dedicated enough.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    You will have action replay for X and Y one day. If theres no backward compatibility they will make other games to let you get the old pokemons, because I doubt you will be able to catch all the 649 old ones in a single game.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
    There will be backwards compatibility, there are quite a few events for Gen V, with pokemon specifically made to be transferred up into X and Y, like a Shiny Eevee that will evolve into a Sylveon. And the Movie 16 Mewtwo was made for Mega Evolution.

I'll rather they don't allow cheating devices to work on X and Y...it makes competitive battles boring...and one sided on the cheaters side as they tend to have perfect Pokémon.

It's rumored that GF has already thought of a method, except we'll have to pay for it...as it's an app according to the rumor on the eshop...

This really only applies to some wifi battles. Official competitions make sure you're not using hacked or cheated pokemon. I think they have some sort of test device for it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017

On the majorly minority side, I want cheating to be completely possible. If I were going to cheat I would, personally, either:
    A) Not use hacked Pokemon online
    B) Advertise that I use hacked Pokemon for the purpose of providing some sort of battle experience.

I personally want to see what the new placeholder Pokemon looks like and, unless Game Freak messes up big time, that probably won't be possible without a cheating device.

I get why people hate hacking as a whole but there is some good to it. Hacking wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for cooperative gameplay which is a major feature of Pokemon. It'd be nice if more hackers were a little more ethical. So, while I know my opinion is not popular opinion, there's my two cents.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Am I the only person that wants a fresh start? I would be happy with no transfer and everybody starts fresh. This would help immensely with hacks, unless I'm mistaken nobody has hacked the 3DS yet. It also allows new people to be on the same level as veterans.

Years
    Am I the only person that wants a fresh start? I would be happy with no transfer and everybody starts fresh. This would help immensely with hacks, unless I'm mistaken nobody has hacked the 3DS yet. It also allows new people to be on the same level as veterans.
    I wouldn't mind it, but even if people will be able to transfer pokemon from past games, I hope that in this generation gaming we will be able to obtain all the pokemons that exist from recent games.

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014

I totally agree. That's what I adored with b/w, only new pokemon at the start and older gen with finished. 'twas nice. But I can see why a lot of people would dislike the 'fresh start' approach :p

DamienHelvian

Years
    I totally agree. That's what I adored with b/w, only new pokemon at the start and older gen with finished. 'twas nice. But I can see why a lot of people would dislike the 'fresh start' approach :p

Well, with the fact that X and Y are a new Gen, the transfer could very well be one-way like with B/W from the Gen IV games. And as such, would likely be post-game.
    But, there's still IR Trading, which, can't be incompatible, because IR is IR, there are no unique components to it, it's just, IR.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think iAzire meant something more like a Gen 3 "fresh" start with no transfer from older games at all.
    Personally I want to be able to carry them from older games...I don't want to leave my Pokémon off in Unova...

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2013
    Personality, I wouldn't like that because I would lose all of the Pokemon that I worked so hard to raise as a kid. Like my Level 100 Articuno, and Moltres.

DamienHelvian

Years
    I think iAzire meant something more like a Gen 3 "fresh" start with no transfer from older games at all.
    Personally I want to be able to carry them from older games...I don't want to leave my Pokémon off in Unova...

The main reason there was no Transfer between Gen II and III, was because of the complete overhaul of the game mechanics, that there was no possible way of making them compatible with each other.

Unless there is such a severe overhaul in Gen VI, there'd be no real reason to prevent trading up or transferring.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    Seriously, you're worried? I think game freak would find a way to do it. they learned the lesson already. I am wondering why all these years, they didn't make cable that connects your gameboy to your computer, to the internet, and make a program to transfer your pokemon on gen I and II to a server on nintendo or something that changes the data to gen VI and transfer it to your x or y thru dream world.

DamienHelvian

Years
    Seriously, you're worried? I think game freak would find a way to do it. they learned the lesson already. I am wondering why all these years, they didn't make cable that connects your gameboy to your computer, to the internet, and make a program to transfer your pokemon on gen I and II to a server on nintendo or something that changes the data to gen VI and transfer it to your x or y thru dream world.

Um...there won't be a dream world for X and Y....
    They're scrapping it because, well it was a big fail pretty much.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    The main reason there was no Transfer between Gen II and III, was because of the complete overhaul of the game mechanics, that there was no possible way of making them compatible with each other.

Unless there is such a severe overhaul in Gen VI, there'd be no real reason to prevent trading up or transferring.
    Actually that's not the reason for why they weren't compatible. The fault doesn't actually lie on anything GF did but rather on Nintendo as they made the GBA incompatible with the GBC...which ironically could be what may happen again this generation...as the DS and 3DS at this point aren't compatible...

DamienHelvian

Years
    Actually that's not the reason for why they weren't compatible. The fault doesn't actually lie on anything GF did but rather on Nintendo as they made the GBA incompatible with the GBC...which ironically could be what may happen again this generation...as the DS and 3DS at this point aren't compatible...

I've researched this multiple times in the past out of curiosity, and I know for a fact, the main reason was because of the overhaul.
    "A complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure; Pokémon now have an individual personality value which can range up to a number above four billion. Abilities and natures, also newly introduced, are determined based on this value, as is a Pokémon's gender, while the IV system has been overhauled for greater variance (0-31 rather than 0-15 as it was before). Shininess is now based on a calculation between the personality value and Original Trainer's Trainer ID number and secret ID number with the same rarity."

It's one of the given reasons for the remakes as well. Since pokemon couldn't be traded up, and they weren't all available in the base games, they had remakes to get them in there. That's why so many people think there won't be a Remake of R/S/E, because at this point in time, you can trade them up to Gen V through the Gen IV Pal Park.

bobpickle

Beginner Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    If you only have one DS, could you just not trade to a trustworthy friend, and then plug in your X/Y game, and have your friend trade you the pokemon via the union room GTS.

I dont see any problems in that method.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Just announced on Pokemon Direct.

Transfer is possible through the new Online storage called Pokemon Bank. You download an App called Pokemon Transport to your 3DS and it takes Pokemon from your copy of Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 to your Generation 6 Pokemon Bank.

Some annual fees may apply.

Note: You may find yourself unable to use Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter to deposit any Pokémon created illegally by software unauthorized by The Pokémon Company and Nintendo into your online Boxes, or to move these Pokémon between online Boxes.

HACKED POKEMON CANNOT TRANSFER. YAY!

Last edited:

DamienHelvian

Years
    So they found a way to bypass any compatibility problems.
    Can't believe I never thought of the possibility of an App....
    The only app I came up with was a new dream type app to get pokemon with Hidden abilities since Dream World is being shut down.

Back