• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Backwards Compatible?

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014
    Personally as much as I can understand people wanting backwards compatibility to transfer their pokes, it would be good to have a fresh start, with a new gen. Everyone on the same level at the beginning.

I remember I was a little bit annoyed during the announcement of Pokemon X Y how the 'older gen' pokemon would return to X and Y in the game. At least Pokemn Black and white was a clean slate.

Even though black and white was backwards compatible, my point is, I wouldn't mind so much if this 6th gen weren't. Lets have a clean slate.

You can throw tomatoes at me now :P

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
    Personally as much as I can understand people wanting backwards compatibility to transfer their pokes, it would be good to have a fresh start, with a new gen. Everyone on the same level at the beginning.

I remember I was a little bit annoyed during the announcement of Pokemon X Y how the 'older gen' pokemon would return to X and Y in the game. At least Pokemn Black and white was a clean slate.

Even though black and white was backwards compatible, my point is, I wouldn't mind so much if this 6th gen weren't. Lets have a clean slate.

I have a a large bunch of tomatoes in my backyard (not really)

But I don't see how one would be fine with the lack of backwards compatibility, wouldn't you want to bring over the Pokémon you grew and trained in the past games? Pretty sure ya would.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Having backwards compatibility and importing old pokémon from previous saves has become an expectation of mine. If they don't include this, there will be a huge backlash considering there is no good reason unlike the complete overhaul the Gen 2/Gen 3 transition had.

Plus, can we import our old items like in Pal Park? Grinding all my pokémon up levels would be very easy with the exp. share.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years

Backwards Compatible?
    :P

I'd really like to transfer my old Pokemon over, especially the ones I trained with since RSE. I don't want to leave them behind like we were forced to do with GSC. And if they did that, completing the National PokeDex would be impossible until another 3DS Pokemon game/remake comes out.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Having backwards compatibility and importing old pokémon from previous saves has become an expectation of mine. If they don't include this, there will be a huge backlash considering there is no good reason unlike the complete overhaul the Gen 2/Gen 3 transition had.

Plus, can we import our old items like in Pal Park? Grinding all my pokémon up levels would be very easy with the exp. share.
    The reason right now is due to compability issues between the DS and 3DS.

I hope that they figure something out early on...

toxictwinkie

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014
    But I don't see how one would be fine with the lack of backwards compatibility, wouldn't you want to bring over the Pokémon you grew and trained in the past games? Pretty sure ya would.

I'm mainly fine with it as I always 'start fresh' each gen. I don't transfer previous gen pokes. Unless of course I want to complete the the national pokedex, which I would love to do one day. I like tos tick with the rule of 'Only pokemon from this gen' D/P, Black/white, X/Y and so forth. Though I can see why it would bother others. :P

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    The reason right now is due to compability issues between the DS and 3DS.

I hope that they figure something out early on...

If we don't have it then Nintendo F$&ked up!

Were they not aware that pokemon their 3 rd biggest franchise may have to communicate with their old system? I mean I'm not entirely sure but how much effort would it be to include the ability to communicate with the system?

An

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    The thing about the whole Backwards compatibility thing is that they have to keep certain technical aspects in tact. Such as the calculation of IVs/EVs. Which is one of the reasons why Gens 2 and 3 where incompatible.

While it would be nice to have old 'mons, it would also be limiting in the future.

As for whether or not Gens 5 and 6 will be compatible... that's a huge maybe, what with the reclassification of typing in older Pokemon. Or, might they still allow it and have it so transferred Pokes still have the old types? that would be an interesting way to handle it... would make the metagame more unique.

Years
    The only reason I'm still playing pokemon despite being 20 yrs old, is that, I could still use my old pokemon from other gen into the new gen game. This is what makes the games unique, unlike all other RPG. If backwards compatibility is not available for this gen, this will be the last gen I will be playing.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
    I just recently purchased four GBA SP, link cables, R/S/E, FR/LG and another 2 Emerald versions and another pair of FR/LG, as well as a Nintendo DS lite with all Gen IV & V games as well as a 3DS, planning to purchase a 3DS XL soon too... (I didn't buy all this stuff at once! ;P )

So upon hearing that X & Y aren't compatible at the moment is a bit of a letdown, a double-slap across the face! xP ... I'm not gonna be all upset about it. A fresh start is what we need really. Hopefully there will be no RNG abusing in this Gen, so perfect and shiny Pokemon regain their status as extremely rare!

Not that I have a problem with people who RNG abuse, just sayin' ...

toxictwinkie

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014
    . Hopefully there will be no RNG abusing in this Gen, so perfect and shiny Pokemon regain their status as extremely rare!

Not that I have a problem with people who RNG abuse, just sayin' ...

Excuse my ignorance, but what is RNG abuse?

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is RNG abuse?

Random Number Generator abuse. Everything in the game (such as wild Pokemon battles, Pokemon stats, eggs, etc.) is determined by random numbers. People use programs to 'pinpoint' the exact time that these numbers occur to find shiny Pokemon, or to breed 'perfect' Pokemon (They will have 31 Individual Values in all stats, maximizing their said stats...).

If this was to be impossible to pull off in X & Y, then everyone will be in the same boat again, breeding from scratch, calculating IV's, finding shiny Pokemon by complete chance and what not, which in my opinion is more fair and fun!

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
    I don't think they'd still be doing events for B/W/B2/W2 if they didn't have some way to get those event pokemon to X and Y...

Also I saw someone mention the DS and 3DS can't communicate? They can...at least with DS games. I can connect Black 2 with White wirelessly to trade.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I also wouldn't mind a fresh start.

However let's say Pokemon X and Pokemon Y version where backwards compatible. Then as I mentioned there would be no need to remake any of the games. We would have to get a new generation every single Pokemon game afterwards. If Pokemon X and Y are backwards compatible and they release Pokemon Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby remake in between generations 6 and 7 then Pokemon Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby remakes would be compatible with the originals and would be rather pointless in remaking these games. Sure they still could but there would be little need for them to do it and rather pointless. I see the need to remake games being that it allows for more time in between generations and gives accesses to Pokemon that would be otherwise unobtainable.

If Pokemon X and Pokemon Y version aren't backwards compatible then there would be enough reason to remake Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I also recall reading some where that EVs and IVs would be given in the game some how and not hidden statistics of Pokemon. We don't know if they will be calculated differently, yet, but know that they will no longer be hidden values. This will make training Pokemon much easier. However, why is it that all of sudden they are deciding to do this?

Artonkn

Sup.
    Years
    I for one would love and hate a fresh start.
    I'd hate it for the fact I would be able to play with Pokemon I've played with for years.
    I'd love it for the fact everyone is even, no BS that's been used so far.

People are wondering that if there if a clean start, how will we get older gen Pokemon, well for one, we already know we're getting a Torchic, a starter Pokemon, so why not others?

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I for one would love and hate a fresh start.
    I'd hate it for the fact I would be able to play with Pokemon I've played with for years.
    I'd love it for the fact everyone is even, no BS that's been used so far.

People are wondering that if there if a clean start, how will we get older gen Pokemon, well for one, we already know we're getting a Torchic, a starter Pokemon, so why not others?

I do find that quite odd as well. The stone needed to make blaziken (however you spell it) is not a item found in normal game play and can only be obtained through this event. I find it odd that their making such an item so rare that really doesn't do anything that has a reason to make it so rare. Moreover why torchic instead of like Mewtwo with the stone? I don't understand the reasoning of having it be a starter pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't think they'd still be doing events for B/W/B2/W2 if they didn't have some way to get those event pokemon to X and Y...

Also I saw someone mention the DS and 3DS can't communicate? They can...at least with DS games. I can connect Black 2 with White wirelessly to trade.

The 3DS has a regular DSi system in it as well. When you play a DS game on the 3DS, the system itself switches to the DSi format and does the link up, Wifi, IR, and Wireless link up through the DSi system settings in the system. A 3DS in 3DS setting and a 3DS in DSi setting don't communicate either. The DS setting has to be shut off/stop playing the game for the 3DS setting to re-enable and communicate with another 3DS.

You can even manually switch into the DSi system setting to play Download and Play games. A 3DS game and DS game still wouldn't be able to connect together.

Back