• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Barry vs. Silver: Who's your preferred rival?

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
  • Both rivals are great, but I like Barry more, I mean sure, he was a little on out there with his childish and hyperactive attitude towards his journey, but his team was more tougher to take out, especially near the end of the main story.

Silver, on the other hand, is way easier to defeat during the main story, unless he pulls off some hax on you. Silver's attitude seems more that of a rival, but slightly to harsh for me to say he is the right kind of rival for me.

Also, I like the kind of crazy and humorous kind of people, so of course, Barry would naturally claim my vote.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Although Silver's storyline was deeper, I prefer Barry as a rival. Barry's team was just more challenging, and so he pushed me to train more than I did in SoulSilver. Plus Barry's personality just sticks with me more, and I liked seeing him pop up in the games as a test of my skills.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I didn't like Barry, while I totally adored Silver. He's the best rival for me, along with Green but I guess I prefer Silver mainly because of my love for the 2nd generation.
    His back storyline is very interesting, just being the son of Giovanni make of him an awesome character anyway.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • Silver cos of the way he is characterised in the game and how he develops to be a half decent person.

Years
  • I love jerks so why not Silver? Sure I pick Silver. The only things that I found genuinely funny about Barry was his abnormal habit to randomly run into the character (I'm pretty sure this caused the shippers to create theories...*shudders*) and that his father was a respectable person as opposed to his son. Silver on the other hand was an actual Rival who got under your skin. Though I suppose that he was the stereotype Rival. huh.

Years
  • "It's a Barry vs. Silver: Who's your preferred rival?10 million fine if you're late!"

Definitely Barry he makes me genuinely laugh and plus his colour scheme of orange, green and yellow are my favourite colours so loving that haha :D

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Silver, was annoying lol and he kinda sucked but Barry is an idiot but makes me laugh. But, I would have to go with Silver because hes more of a rival than Barry. Friend's aren't really rivals compared to Gary and Silver. Also my favorite Gen games is the 2nd gen and HG, SS are the best games the makers ever made.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I like Barry a lot more than Silver, even though I think Silver is a great typical rival. Barry isn't what you expect in a rival, he's someone who you could consider to be the comic relief of the game. Some of the things he says in Platinum are just priceless. He's a wee bit of an annoying character, but that's what makes him so great! Plus he's someone who makes the game more fun, which is important because Sinnoh isn't really that fun of a region in and of itself.It's a more difficult region compared to Johto, which is a walk in the park.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Silver was kind of a unique rival, and he was more close to being an enemy than a rival to be honest. He didn't share that friendship with your character that we usually see in rivals, and he was mainly just being a total prick, only using you as a means to see his progress and how much stronger he had become. It's possible that he did train to beat you, however I feel like he was more onto beating Team Rocket, which you both had a common goal in, haha.

But yeah, Silver is the most definite answer to this, but mainly because he was the rival of my favourite games, not because of his rival relations ._.

pokehearts

I like trains.
    Years
  • Personally, I like Barry more, Silver was cold and heartless, while Barry was more kind and passionate, a friend, also, I could always beat Silver, and I remember I played Pokemon Diamond and I could never beat Barry's team in Calavane City, His Heracross was so powerful! I like Barry more as a rival than I do Silver. So Barry gets my vote.

Years
  • I'd have to say Silver, because I actually WANTED to beat him! and well Barry, I didn't care much for him, he was just kind of... there -__-

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I guess I'd have to say Silver, given that he's a THIEF! A GODDAMN THIEF! And a quick check on Bulbapedia says he's Giovanni's son!? That's amazing. I'd definitely like to go up against the spawn of Giovanni than a hyperactive nincompoop that is Barry.

Years
  • I prefer Silver as a rival, as he takes things a lot more serious than Barry, and I've always preferred a rival that acts tougher and sometimes even mean as it gives you more satisfaction when you beat them.

That and even though they both have pretty powerful dads, I could actually see Silver beating Giovanni if they battled, but I don't know if I could say the same for Barry.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • I thought Silver was female until I looked him up. Oops hahaha

In terms of difficulty I like Silver more because he tended to be tougher, but that's not to say Barry wasn't tough later on in the game. I prefer Barry though because he's funnyyy

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Barry was a push-over. Silver was much more challenging, he had several good POKeMON of odd types and he raises each of the individual starters very well.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Silver for several reasons. He's the only rival who has a complicated personality and who is truly an evil person at the beginning of the game, but by the end realises the error of his ways and matures as a trainer.

Barry, on the other hand, is just hyperactive and isn't even funny, with his "HERPA DERP I'LL FYN U A MILLION BAJILLION DOLLARYDOS". He was just annoying.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I don't think everyone will agree with me, but I have to say that I have never seen a rival with so much 'rival' attitude as Silver/Gold had. He wasn't an evil character, but he made it clear that he didn't like you, the player, and wanted to beat you in every way possible. Whereas with Barry, I just didn't get that 'rival' feel from him. He still felt like a friend rather than a rival, the same way I felt about May from RSE and Cheren and Bell (was that her name? I don't remember exactly XD) from Black and White. So yeah, Silver is my preferred rival between the two.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • @Omer - I agree with you, Silver and Blue are pretty much the only rivals with an actual rival mindset. All the other so-called rivals feel more like friends who are sharing your journey, which is probably what they were going for but it dosen't really make them a rival.

I think I prefer Silver over Barry, who is a little bit annoying. I like how Silver develops from a very angry boy that is indifferent about his pokemon to a someone who loves and cares for them. Barry develops a bit as well, he becomes more mature over the events of D/P/Pt. But overall Silver is my favourite.

Back