• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Battle Engine Upgrade

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    I suppose that by "old version" you're talking about the EBEU.
    Yes, that is a different, old, and completely separate project. It's not related to the decomps in any way and it's no longer being developed either.

To answer the question, I wrote a tutorial teaching how to set up a copy of Pokeemerald with those 3 branches. You would have found it if you took a minute to look around the Decomp & Disassembly section, or even just a few posts above on this same page of the thread.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=432321

Thanks you so much.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2023
    I think I may have found a bug with Zorua's Illusion.

It's a trainer battle where he has these 3 pkmn:
    1. Zorua
    2. Rhyhorn
    3. Larvitar

First off, when he sends out his first pkmn, the game says, "<blah> sent out Zorua" instead of "Larvitar". (Not sure if that's also a bug.) After that, everything else makes me think it's actually a Larvitar (name, sprite, etc.).

On his first turn, he withdraws "Larvitar" and sends out Larvitar. I use Double Kick, and it breaks the illusion and reveals... Rhyhorn?

I'm a little bit surprised that Illusion carries over when pkmn are swapped out. My instincts say it shouldn't work this way, but I'll admit I haven't played enough with Zorua/Zoroark in true pokémon versions to have experience with this and the Bulbapedia article on Illusion neither confirms nor denies my suspicion. So... does anyone know if this is how Illusion is supposed to work?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I think I may have found a bug with Zorua's Illusion.

It's a trainer battle where he has these 3 pkmn:
    1. Zorua
    2. Rhyhorn
    3. Larvitar

First off, when he sends out his first pkmn, the game says, "<blah> sent out Zorua" instead of "Larvitar". (Not sure if that's also a bug.) After that, everything else makes me think it's actually a Larvitar (name, sprite, etc.).

On his first turn, he withdraws "Larvitar" and sends out Larvitar. I use Double Kick, and it breaks the illusion and reveals... Rhyhorn?

I'm a little bit surprised that Illusion carries over when pkmn are swapped out. My instincts say it shouldn't work this way, but I'll admit I haven't played enough with Zorua/Zoroark in true pokémon versions to have experience with this and the Bulbapedia article on Illusion neither confirms nor denies my suspicion. So... does anyone know if this is how Illusion is supposed to work?
    Illusion is indeed pretty buggy right now. This was already reported on the GitHub repository by BuffelSaft.

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2023
    Hello so I have wattson with a manetric holding a mega stone now my question is how do I enable mega evolutions for the trainers I don't recall seeing how to do it unless I might have skimmed passed it which is a possibility if anyone can help me that would be great

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • manta

★★★★★
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2024
    Yes, but do note that the normal and Schooling forms are seperate species and you will have to edit battle_util.c to add a new entry with Diglett & it's new form.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    noob here. Idk how to download this upgrade, could you explain it to me?

I'm a noob. How do I download it? I went to clicked on the link, but nothing makes sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • noob here. Idk how to download this upgrade, could you explain it to me?
    Code > Download Zip, though you really shouldn't be doing that.
    The right way to obtain projects like this one, is by using Git. More specifically, its clone feature.

I'll bring here the response I gave to you in Pret's Discord in case anyone else has the same doubt.
    You seem to be a newcomer to the decomps, which is why I would suggest you to get your feet wet by building a regular repository of Pokeemerald, instead of trying to dive into Egg's branches from the get go.

To build Pokeemerald, there's indications written in Pokeemerald's INSTALL.md document.
    Alternatively, I wrote 3 different tutorials presenting 3 different options to build it.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=432351 - WSL (Win10)
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=426921 - Cygwin (Win 7/8.1)
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=425246 - MSys2 (Win 7/8.1)

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2021
    I don't know if you have these types of bugs as a priority but I found one when I was trying out the multiplayer with a friend... It turns out that if one of the two Mega-evolves one of your pokémon, the other one is disabled from the Mega-evolve option.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2021
    Thanks for creating all this, Emerald with all the quality of life changes and updated moves is even better than the original

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    I love the work you have done here, honestly. I just started into ROM hacking 3 days ago and all you have done here is phenomenal!
    Personally I would have used, but of all the features you listed I only really wanted the abilities, wild doubles and moves. Is there any way to isolate just those for an installation? I personally like the game pre-PSS, or have already made some of the other changes myself using other tools/resources. Also I like to tinker, adding in new features and such one at a time.

Sorry if that sounds rude or pretentious... 😅

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Personally I would have used, but of all the features you listed I only really wanted the abilities, wild doubles and moves. Is there any way to isolate just those for an installation?
    You could just look at the code and implement the relevant changes manually, or perhaps you could check the commit list and cherry-pick commits.
    I personally like the game pre-PSS, or have already made some of the other changes myself using other tools/resources. Also I like to tinker, adding in new features and such one at a time.
    When you say that you made other changes "using tools", do you mean that you modified a ROM of Pokémon Emerald?

If so, you are doing binary hacking, which is a different type of ROM Hacking than you would do by using the decomps.
    You can't really make use of this as is. You'll have to learn how to inject C code into your ROM, or write your own implementation of the features you want in ASM.

This Battle Engine Upgrade requires you to do ROM Hacking by using the decompilation project of Pokémon Emerald, Pokeemerald.
    That would in turn mean you don't use tools like XSE, PGE and what not, as everything can be done with an image editor, a good text editor or IDE, and PoryMap which is a map editor for projects like this.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    You hit the nail on the head with the ASM conversion, I had stumbled across that and am trying my hand at it. so far I'm not having much luck. 😅
    Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain.

I realize now that I was looking for an easy answer to a my wants and needs. I started with an "clean" emerald ROM and am slowly, but surely, expanding on it. First I used "auto" Exe's like TL's Quick Enhancer for the simple stuff like running indoors and such, I'm currently manually changing/replacing pokemon with either YAPE or PGE, and I'm currently trying to add abilities as posted from the Ability Resource Thread (can't post links yet) and it is... brain wracking the amount of info I'm learning.

Like I stated before I'm overall very impressed with your version though. Keep up the great work! 😁

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2021
    Is there any documentation for the AI improvements? Been looking into implementing some AI changes and am wondering how extensive the changes here are. Apologies is this is answered elsewhere, I've been poking through the battle engine repo but a few pointers would be useful.

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years
  • Is there any documentation for the AI improvements? Been looking into implementing some AI changes and am wondering how extensive the changes here are. Apologies is this is answered elsewhere, I've been poking through the battle engine repo but a few pointers would be useful.

Not afaik. You can look in the AI files and look for the commits that affected those files.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    How do I check if I compiled it correctly? Also, if I did what hacking tools do i use to edit trainers and sprites and stuff like that because when i tried to use PGE it kept crashing or something couldn't get read.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • How do I check if I compiled it correctly?
    Open the folder where your project is, and if you see a pokeemerald.gba file, then a ROM was built successfully.
    Also, if I did what hacking tools do i use to edit trainers and sprites and stuff like that because when i tried to use PGE it kept crashing or something couldn't get read.
    In decomp hacking, binary hacking tools like PGE which modify a ROM directly are of no use at all.
    Here you work with the bare source code of the game, meaning a text editor will suffice for 90% of the things. You just need to find out the location of whatever you want to change, go and change it, and then compile a ROM.
    The only tool you really really need is a map editor. The map editor for the decomps is PoryMap.

I'll give you a quick example.
    You want to edit trainers, yes? Well, you can find the trainers' data and their parties in the src/data/trainers.h and src/data/trainer_parties.h files.
    Trainer sprites can be found in the graphics/trainers folder.

Back