• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tutorial] How to build the Pokémon GBA decomps using WSL (Win10)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years

27 of January from 2023. I'm rewriting this tutorial. I should have done it much sooner, but y'all know me; I'm lazy.
What are the goals? To explain in simple steps how to set up an environment to build Pret's Pokémon Decompilation Projects on WSL.
What is being added? Explanations on how to set up a WSL2 environment and considerations to keep in mind and such.
What's driving me to do this after so long? Devkitpro, in a way. I won't say more.
Let's get to it.

Before we start, I'll need you to make a choice; WSL1 or WSL2.

List of Pros and Cons:
Spoiler:

After you made up your choice, follow the correspondent section of the tutorial.
Personally, I do my decomp work on the filesystem of my Ubuntu installation using WSL2.

WSL1:
Spoiler:

WSL2:
Spoiler:

(Not Really) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Spoiler:

In case of need, I'm keeping an archived copy of this post as a GitHub Gist. Click here to check it.
I'm going to update it whenever I make changes to this post.

And that's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 18, 2022
Well maybe my problem is a good first response. So, I got this response when I tried to enable the optional features.

"Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Online-'.
At line:1 char:31
+ Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online- -Featurename Microsoft-Windows ...
+ ~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand"

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Well maybe my problem is a good first response. So, I got this response when I tried to enable the optional features.

"Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Online-'.
At line:1 char:31
+ Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online- -Featurename Microsoft-Windows ...
+ ~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand"

Seems you've typed it wrong? You have -Online- but it should be -Online? Maybe?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 18, 2022
Looks unusual to me? Going ahead and restarting my computer.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -Featurename Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

Path :
Online : True
RestartNeeded : False

Then after WSL was downloaded , I had made a username already the first try I guess, and this is what happened

"user@LAPTOP-6LIT01A9:~$ cd Downloads
-bash: cd: Downloads: No such file or directory
user@LAPTOP-6LIT01A9:~$ cd Downloads sudo dpkg -i devkidpro-pacman.deb
-bash: cd: too many arguments
user@LAPTOP-6LIT01A9:~$"

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
New to this but is this normal? Going ahead and restarting my computer.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -Featurename Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

Path :
Online : True
RestartNeeded : False

It is, yes. When RestartNeeded gives you a "False", that means WSL is already enabled in your system.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 18, 2022

3) Let's put WSL away for now and go to our web browser, where we'll download the latest .deb package of devkitPro right here.
Keep this .deb package in a folder like C:\Users\USER\Downloads, you'll see why in a moment.

I need to download the devkitpro pacman installer.pkg and the devkitpro pacman.deb file. I put them in the download folder. I need the ubuntu app/software to download them

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I need to download the devkitpro pacman installer.pkg and the devkitpro pacman.deb file. I put them in the download folder. I need the ubuntu app/software to download them
No. You don't need the .pkg package.
As for Ubuntu, that is what you're installing in this tutorial. Ubuntu which is a distribution of Linux that can be used on Windows via WSL.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
2) Go to the Microsoft Store and search "Ubuntu 18.04 LTS". Go to its page in the store and click the blue "Get" button.

Alternatively, if for X or Y reason you don't have access to the Microsoft Store, you can install it by downloading and running its .appx package.
Note: The first of the 3 entries specifically, the one called "Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic)".

Is there a reason for getting Ubuntu 18.04 specifically, instead of the option without a version listed? I've blindly recommended that one to a few people setting up WSL...

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Is there a reason for getting Ubuntu 18.04 specifically, instead of the option without a version listed?
Not really sure. I'm not a Linux user and I don't know about the quirks of each distro, what makes them different and such.
In this tutorial I suggested Ubuntu 18.04 specifically because it's the distro for WSL that I used and that I know will work if you follow correctly all the steps written here.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 6, 2020
Hey Lunos,even though I'm sure I followed the tutorial properly, I'm getting a problem when I run the ./build.sh command. The issue I got is attached below. Do you know how to help me? However I'm using a WSL with Ubuntu 16.04 installed on it.

Attachments

• Immagine.png
    Immagine.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 76

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Hey Lunos,even though I'm sure I followed the tutorial properly, I'm getting a problem when I run the ./build.sh command. The issue I got is attached below. Do you know how to help me? However I'm using a WSL with Ubuntu 16.04 installed on it.
See that line on WSL's window?
No rule to make target '/opt/devkitPro/devkitARM/base_tools'. Stop.

That means WSL is not recognizing your installation of devkitPro/ARM.
Are you sure you followed Step 7.5 properly?

All in all, as I said up there, I wrote this tutorial in the way I did, because that's how I did the process on my end and it worked for me.
I'm not sure, but I suppose it may be possible that the 2 different versions of Ubuntu you can use in WSL may have their own differences.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 6, 2020
I repetead the step 7.5, and even though I didn't get those blank lines, I added those 4 additional commands. Now everything seems fine. Thank you Lunos

im_mega

Some guy on the internet.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen yesterday
Hey, when I get to the step of actually cloning agbcc and pokeemerald, I get an error:
Code:
Cloning into 'agbcc'...
error: chmod on /mnt/c/users/askme/documents/decomps/agbcc/.git/config.lock failed: Operation not permitted
fatal: could not set 'core.filemode' to 'false'

Any idea where I might have done something wrong? I tried having WSL open in admin mode, as well.

EDIT: I'm a dummy. For anyone who has this same issue, don't clone into any windows directory, just clone in the root.

Last edited:
Years
Hey, when I get to the step of actually cloning agbcc and pokeemerald, I get an error:
Code:
Cloning into 'agbcc'...
error: chmod on /mnt/c/users/askme/documents/decomps/agbcc/.git/config.lock failed: Operation not permitted
fatal: could not set 'core.filemode' to 'false'

Any idea where I might have done something wrong? I tried having WSL open in admin mode, as well.

EDIT: I'm a dummy. For anyone who has this same issue, don't clone into any windows directory, just clone in the root.

This is to do with incompatibilities for permissions with the NTFS system used by Windows. Strangely, I never had this issue on one Windows machine, but did on another. I suspect different versions/builds are at play there, but in the latter case prepending the sudo command often did the trick. A more permanent and proper solution is to remount the drive using:
Code:
sudo umount /mnt/c
sudo mount -t drvfs C: /mnt/c -o metadata
as discussed in the documentation for WSL build 17063 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/release-notes#build-17063).

Personally I like to host these projects in my Windows documents rather than the WSL root as they're much easier to navigate and edit that way, although I'd advise the git commands should always still be done from within the WSL bash not CMD/Powershell and editing done from Remote - WSL not vanilla VS Code to reduce the risk of errors seeping in.

im_mega

Some guy on the internet.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen yesterday
This is to do with incompatibilities for permissions with the NTFS system used by Windows. Strangely, I never had this issue on one Windows machine, but did on another. I suspect different versions/builds are at play there, but in the latter case prepending the sudo command often did the trick. A more permanent and proper solution is to remount the drive using:
Code:
sudo umount /mnt/c
sudo mount -t drvfs C: /mnt/c -o metadata
as discussed in the documentation for WSL build 17063 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/release-notes#build-17063).

Personally I like to host these projects in my Windows documents rather than the WSL root as they're much easier to navigate and edit that way, although I'd advise the git commands should always still be done from within the WSL bash not CMD/Powershell and editing done from Remote - WSL not vanilla VS Code to reduce the risk of errors seeping in.

Aha! That is much more convenient! Thanks for the help!

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Aug 3, 2022
Not sure if i did step 4 correctly but when i type in cd Downloads it says no such file or directory
and when i typed the full line in a single code it says theres too many arguments

Back