• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Generation of Pokémon

Which generation of Pokémon had the best set of designs?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    Hoenn>Johto>Kanto>Isshu>Sinnoh.

For some reason, I don't really like Sinnoh that much now. >_>
    The first pokemon game I ever played was Crystal. However, I'd always get stuck before the Elite Four everytime because my pokemon were always around level 40-ish.
    I got my Emerald when I was like, 10. I beat the Elite Four and the champion on my first try. Also, I really like the part when Hoenn was going to be flooded 'cos of Kyogre.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Isshu just barely pips Hoenn to the post for me...

I'd rank them:

1. Isshu
    2. Hoenn
    3. Johto
    4. Kanto
    5. Sinnoh

Aquamentis

Touhoumon Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 22, 2016
    I loved the Hoenn pokemon more then the other generations individually. Generations 1 & 2 both had sets of pokemon that made me really only love 5-6 of them which were on my team, while the Hoenn region made me really have to choose between who I wanted on my team and made me start switching around so I could keep all of my pokemon together. Not to mention it was the first time I willingly chose a fire-starter not for the purpose of completing the Pokedex.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I have to say Hoenn was the most memorable of all Pokemon design periods to me, they had that simplicity that Jonto and the generations beforehand had and yet they stayed similar but they still have this unique style to them. I've never really like Sinnoh's Pokemon, the designs seem over the top compared to the other regions but they have their good aspects.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • Although I absolutely adore the Hoenn Pokémon, original is still original!
    Kanto has insanely strong nostalgia feeling on me, and it's impossible to shake it off!
    I grew up with those Pokémon, and it's impossible not to love them, and I mean EVERY-SINGLE-ONE!

AntiZero

Remember?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    Hoenn had its own unique style. I always loved the Hoenn region, including its designs, cities, Pokemon, everything!

Sinnoh is my second choice because of the Pokemon and updated graphics.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • Hoenn>Kanto>Johto>Sinnoh

Hoenn obviously had a very unique climate and therefore, pokemon design. Absol, Tropius, Grovyle, Salamence some of my favorites.

Kanto had great pokemon too. Very simple, most of them, but still kanto is home to some of my favorites. Magneton, Sandslash, Squirtle, Charizard, and Raichu come to
    mind. Also my first pokemon game was yellow. :)

I hated the actual Johto region, but the pokemon were pretty good. Although home to some of the worst (Dunsparce), also home to some of the best (Skarmory, Tyrannitar)

Sinnoh was meh. The designs, imo were getting to look less and less like pokemon, alot more complex, and even darker.

Years
  • Kanto and Sinnoh, was the best region´s of the generation of okemon, kanto was where everything start, and Sinnoh was the best pokemons of the game too

Years
  • johto and hoen are thee best out of all the regions. the pokemon are not too original and not too out there like the pokemon in sinnoh and isshu. kanto was awesome when it was the only one out but looking back it does seem a little bland even though its what got everyone hooked =]

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Overall, Hoenn.
    First and only interesting region so far.
    Interesting Pokémon Designs.
    Weather.
    Secret Bases.
    Story.
    Just my opinion, anyway. I love all the Generations but since Gen III none have felt as good to me.

But regarding Pokémon designs alone, the first is still probably the best. I like most of them, but I do believe all Generations have good and bad designs, including the first.

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I know how some people say new pokemon are "unoriginal", but the way I see it is the past generations had more to work with idea and species wise. For ever generation there will be even more creatures used which means they will probably have to start incorporating more past designed into the new pokemon.

Kanto - As previous said the designs where simple, nothing outlandish just plain and simple concepts and animals. Not to take away from this generation though since it was paving the road for what we be the future of the series.

Johto - This generation of pokemon seemed to have a folky feel about them as did the region as a whole. Although to me this generation didn't seem to deviate from the first generation too much some of the designs seemed to be more detailed or complex the previous pokemon. Definitely a lot of animal based pokemon which isn't a bad thing either if you don't like humansphere type pokemon.

Hoenn - To me the kicked up the complexity of the designs in this generation normal and legends combined. I could actually say for once they I actually like all the starters for once, that is more then I can say about the other generations. What I liked with the designs is they were complex but they make it complex enough not to over do the designs.

Sinnoh - Out of all the generations I like this one the least. To me it seemed like a quarter of the pokemon where based directly upon past generations through pre-evolutions and evolutions. I don't have a problem with a few here and there but the extent to which they added past ones annoyed me. It seemed like they tried to hard of some designs overall not just the ones linking to previous generations.

Unova - First off Yabukuron & Dasutodasu wtf! I don't even... Those aside I like the designs of the pokemon, even if people complain about them being too humansphere that does not concern me too much. I think the humansphere design goes along with the region as being one that is supposed to be urbanized(Hiun City being an instance of that) since it is based off NYC there would be more human creatures inhabiting it then animals. Excluding places like Central Park. Some of them are hit and miss for me right now but once this generation sets in I doubt I will dislike much of them.

iRyu

Why is he smiling? The Father?
    Years
  • Personally, in order of appeal, it's like this for me:
    Johto
    Kanto
    Hoenn
    Isshu
    Shinno

Kanto - I'm not going to lie, I loved the hell out of these games. For christmas, when i was 6, I got pokemon Yellow and a gameboy color, I thought it was the most epic christmas. I played this game all the time. I get nostalgic when looking at sprites from these games. Everything was so simple yet so epic for it's time.

Johto - Personal Favorite. I love all the pokemon from these games and everything about it. Main Reasons: You could catch all the legendaries that were in the generation (besides celebi). You could go back to Kanto. And Umbreon. Plus, the games were in color and featured an EXP bar! The Hero wore his hat backwards! And it featured Shinies!

Hoenn - Eh. It was alright. I liked some pokemon like Absol, Manectric, Blaziken... All the pokemon sounded like transformers to me. And there were tons of legendaries. The first 6 gym leaders were named after their type, haha... Norman... I liked the battle frontier though. (Please NO Remake Gamefreak!!)

Shinno - My WTF Game. Beat it in 6 hours and didn't like it too much. The male looked funny and Dawn looked like a bimbo. I didn't really like any of the pokemon except for Lucario and Gallade. There were tons of new evolutions for previous generations and I thought surely were would be no more generations...

Isshu - Until last year when this region was announced. I've played through most of it and it's pretty much okay. I don't like the fact that the bike moves extremely fast. I like the dowsing machine. Some of the pokemon look strange... Tabunne?... I like the continued use of Duo legendaries though. Shouldn't Gamefreak be done by now?...

Last edited:

Sollux Captor

Evolve~
    Years
  • It's really opinion based. There is no best generation. My personal favorite is Gen III. First gen I've ever played. I'll always have a special place for it in my heart.

qq.noobs

Some random noob :)
    Years
  • Hoenn owns all because Sinnoh and Isshu gen pokemon are like wtf?
    While Kanto and Johto looks old lol

Flan

has the bird flu.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NYC
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    I would have to say Johto was the best generation (to me), because it contains many of my favorite Pokemon. The designs were simple and it introduced DVs/IVs and shinies. Crystal added delicious colors and the night-day feature was cool to me back then. Also, Pokemon Stadium 2 kicked so much buttocks. <3

Wallace Berlitz

I'm back for lucks and givin'
    Years
  • I choose Hoenn... Although Red/Blue was my first game, but I thought that Kanto's Pokemon is too plain for me. But they're original! Well I still like Hoenn's Pokemon design. Look at Beautifly, such a beautiful butterfly! And Wurmple is also cute!

It's just my personal favourite anyway. I still like all Pokemon no matter how much they added, it's just, Hoenn is my favourite region and their Pokemon too :)

Back