• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Instant Messenger?

What is the best Instant Messenger?

• AIM

Votes: 8 25.0%
    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • MSN

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • YIM

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

PGN

I am now PGNFounder
Years
  • Satoshi-kun said:
    In terms of service, AIM. Yahoo and MSN don't offer all their features in their official Mac clients. AIM for Mac offers most features, but if Mac users want Video Chat and Audio Chat, they need to get iChat AV. iChat AV is available with Panther, or bought seperately (which I have the seperate version). It's really good, supports all of the features and adds audio and video chat with Mac and Windows users.

MSN has no good features on the Mac version. No display pictures, no games, no video chat, no audio chat...
    Yahoo is similar.

Attached: iChat screenshot.

If only my friends had audio chat enabled! Or the...whats it called? the thing for video...erm, oh you get the point!

I usually use a program called "Fire" because it's a multi-chat client that includes AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, Jabber, ICQ, and IRC

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 19, 2008
    MSN, no doubt. o.o; I liked its features and its way of blocking certain people on your list until you decide to un-block them. Yahoo! makes you ignore people NOT on your list, but it only ignores until you come online but I STILL like Yahoo! [Second Place] =P

I never used other chat clients, though, so I don't know what they're like. o.o;

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Well, if YIM were prettier, and more people used it, then I would pick that. The reasons that I like it are:

- You can go on 'Invisible Mode', and appear offline, but still get to talk to the people that you want. It helps majorly if a lot of annoying people send you messages. MSN allows you to appear offline, but you can't talk to anyone. AIM doesn't even have that option, from what I know.

- You can send offline messages to people, that will appear as soon as they log in, and they can reply back. I love that! People don't have to wait for me to come online to tell me something. They can leave, and I'll get to see their message as soon as I log in.

- When someone adds you to their contact list, a message pops up notifying you, and there is also a place where the person could type a message to you, maybe telling you who they were and everything.

- There are several different skins that you can use, including one which is decorated like a comic book page. I've had so much fun roleplaying with my friends on that. One picture of a guy shows up when I send a message, and it has the text that I typed in a speech circle thing, like he's talking. Then, when my friend sends another message, it shows a picture of a different guy talking. And each time the guys' expressions are different, so it's like they're actually talking to each other! It's hard to explain; I'd have to get a screenshot to show what I mean.

Those are some of the reasons why it beats out the others, in my opinion. There are some things that I wish YIM had, but maybe one day it will get them.

I'm on AIM and MSN more only because most of my friends are on those.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Well I'm mainly an AIM user, but I downloaded MSN messenger today and I think that once I start chatting on it more I'm going to prefer it...it's so much better-looking than AIM...but I won't forget AIM entirely, I have friends who use it exclusively o_o;;

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
    Years
  • I really like the whole look and feel of MSN messenger, but I just can't get it to work very well. I also heard it's safer then most of the other messengers out there, making it harder to hack. I wish I could use it, but I can't sign in for some reason...
    *shrugs*
    Ah well, AIM works for me anyday!

PichuSecretBase

Web Site Critique
    Years
  • MSN is awesome with smileys, avatars, name, but aim is smaller,louer and rings if hte windows open so AIM all the way.

aaaaaa

MSN messenger never freezes for me, funnily enough.
    And Windows Messenger is the same program, in an older form.
    Currently it's only up to v5.
    It uses a different file sending protocol, but that's it.
    Otherwise, it's identical.

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
  • Kayleigh said:
    Well, if YIM were prettier, and more people used it, then I would pick that. The reasons that I like it are:

- You can go on 'Invisible Mode', and appear offline, but still get to talk to the people that you want. It helps majorly if a lot of annoying people send you messages. MSN allows you to appear offline, but you can't talk to anyone. AIM doesn't even have that option, from what I know.
    AIM does have an invisible mode. It's that little eye thing. I've never used it so I don't know for certain how it works... but it is there.

I do like MSN better mostly because more people tend to use it. AIM is nice too though. I like the ability to create a profile that says whatever you want it to... at the moment mine is just a bunch of random inside jokes between me and my best friend. And away messages are nice too... that way I can leave but if someone needed to tell me something they could leave a message. But either way... I do use both MSN and AIM constantly so it does make it hard to choose between the two...

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • Trillian would be better if it split up the buddy lists... >>;

Or if it didn't take so long to load. But I do like how I can have like 3 or 4 MSN open at once... that's quite nice. Almost as nice as DeadAIM cloning.

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
  • MSN Messenger is my preference... however, sometimes it tends to sign you out unexpectedly. Trillian is good, but I found it a bit hard to use in terms with organising contacts.

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
  • 100marios said:
    I really like the whole look and feel of MSN messenger, but I just can't get it to work very well. I also heard it's safer then most of the other messengers out there, making it harder to hack. I wish I could use it, but I can't sign in for some reason...
    *shrugs*
    Ah well, AIM works for me anyday!
    Yea, It's a lot harder to hack indeed I'm not sure how much harder it is exactly because I'v never even touched other IM's. In fact I'v never even seen their UI's but I'v heard a lot on the internet about certain "tricks" you can do, especially on ICQ. But I'v analyzed MSN in a lot of ways, and I can tell you, it's virtually unhackable. The only way it can be hacked is from your own stupidy of downloading a script or a patch of some sort. well, at least thats what I found out. There are a lot of interesting tricks you can do with MSN and Messenger together, such as finding out who on your contact list has you blocked :P

Overall MSN is way betterest. The only problem is that eveyone else has to use other IM's. Why can't everyone in the world use the same? :laugh:

MoonLight

The Stars are Pretty
    Years
  • I like Msn the best, But it tends to have it's moments like logging me in and out for no reason XD But I still like it alot of features

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
  • Yea, Microsoft like to do a lot of maintainance on their servers, so they log you out(crule!). They actually do warn you 5 minutes before. This message pops up and tells you, but sometimes it doesn't. You can try signing in again, if it doesn't work, close MSN, and open it up again and keep trying to sign in. It will eventually try a different server that hasn't been shut down.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
    Years
  • I have all of them. I like AIM the most, I guess because it's so customizable, and easy to use. MSN is my second choice, since the chats with PC members are so fun, but it's unorganized, kinda. YIM and ICQ are hardly ever used by me, so I don't really like them.

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
  • Is there a "universal" IM that supports them all? Or more importantly, MSN and AIM in 1? If so, if it worth it? I'm not getting it if it's turdworthy

Back