• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best Starter Pokemon

Which Starter is the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
Years
  • Infernape. But i don't keep him in my team, good att, and special att, but terrible special def.

pockeyfox

Grand Trainer
    Years
  • As much as I love Empoleon, my favorite of the starters in this gen, I think I'm going for Turtwig in my next play through.

I like all three so it's hard to choose one sometimes as the best.

Phantoon14

Actions Define Users
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    I find Turtwig the best, feels more balanced.
    But if I am playing competitively, definitely Infernape.

Pika-power

Jesus of Suburbia
    Years
  • The Piplup line is best cause it's great all-around, while the turtwig line has no speed, and the chimchar line has no defense.

SonicTH

Crazy Sonic and Poke-fan
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    Older starters were better for me, but in this poll I will choose Piplup.

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Chimchar, because Infernape can help you lot on both in-game and competitive battles.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2011
    i reckon turtwig because his last evolution, torterra can cover all of its weakness:
    earthquake covers fire, and poison.
    and rock slide covers flying and ice and bug.
    and then i just add on other moves like dig and stone edge.
    so torterra is 78% chance the best.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Piplup, it was the first starter I picked and was just the better and stronger starter for me. I picked Turtwig/Torterra in Platinum but it just didn't seem as good or as able to battle as Piplup/Empoleon. I really don't like Chimchars line at all. Easily my least favourite fire starter and least favourite starter pokemon overall.

Years
  • Torterra.
    I think it's the best because of secondary Ground-typing, which gives it propably the best offensive STAB of all Grass-types and has immunity to Thunder Wave and is one of the few Pokemon that resist Ground/Rock attacking combination. It's also very slow which is quite advantaging in a way: Trick Room. Being the slowest starter (so far) it becames the fastest when Trick Room is in effect.

Plus I like him the most :)

Last edited:

Jonrawwr

Bassist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2012
    Well i've started it again and picked all the starters by simply trading but I think Turtwig

Manectric-Fan

Thunder-Strike Adventurer
    Years
  • Piplup, the water starters is always stronger than the others, if not they've had a very good trainer! :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    +1 to that. Infernape is awesome with Mach Punch. Takes down Empoleon with ease, as well as Torterra.

Years
  • It's hard to choose from Turtwig amd Chimchar. I loved having them both (Turtwig in Diamond, Chimchar in Platinum). Once Torterra learns Earthquake it's very hard to defeat. Infernape's attacks are amazing too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back