• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best/worst Generation?

Mentalii

Back
Years
  • => My favourite generation is the gen II. They are the first "new Pokémon", and that make them so awesome. This magic feeling when I discovered that there wasn't only 150 Pokémon... And, confess, we all dream in front of the Ho-Oh Ash saw in the first episodes, because it announced a new gen. Personnaly, except it, no "new" Pokémon made me dream this way.

=> And the worst generation is the fifth to my mind... Too many awful Pokémon ... Even the starters are a total fail I think. In each new gen, the starters are the first Pokémon shown so it's important that they have a certain amount of... badassness. And gen V starters immediately showed us how this gen was going to suck.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2012
    BEST: Gen III: Top reason that was when Skitty was introduced :3
    WORST: None

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • Best: Gen II
    My most favorite Pokemon is from that generation, that's the main reason.

Worst: Gen V
    Major disappointment... lack of Move Tutors and older Gen Pokemon in the Normal Subway lines and not much to do Post-Story besides grinding at the Big Stadium, Small Court & the PKMN League. Pokemon-wise, I like all of them, especially my favorite Gen V dragons, which are Druddigon & the Axew line.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Best: Gen V
    I just love Unova. I love that it's based on NY, I love the new Pokemon and I love the story. I just love Gen V.

Worst: Gen IV
    I had to force myself to even play through one game of this generation, even HG/SS.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Best: Gen IV - well, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were great games and thoroughly enjoyable, but I mainly choose Gen Four because of HG/SS. Those were the most amazing Pokemon games to date imo, they were better versions of what were already the best games ever beforehand.

Worst: Gen V - Too much changed and I felt alienated. The games were still enjoyable, but I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the Pokemon the way I cared about the previous 493. Also the new EXP system is atrocious and I want it dead.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Best: After thinking about it a lot, I've grown to really love Gen IV. As much as I love the original generation, Gen IV is by far the best. It took me a long time to really like it as much as I do now (in fact, it took until I played Pokémon White to really appreciate Gen IV games), but now they just can't compare to all the others because they're so superior.

Worst: Gen V. I really can't explain why. I didn't feel like I was playing a Pokémon game, and even though I liked the changes they made to the game, if I don't feel like I'm playing a Pokémon game, then I think that defeats the purpose. I also highly dislike 99.9% of the Pokémon, and 80% of the characters.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well everyone who knows me knows that I have an abhorrence for gen V. It's the worst in all aspects - characters, plot, Pokémon, region, music, gameplay, and metagame even. It's terrible haha, I felt gen IV was already a bit off but gen V completely strayed from the original concept. I don't like the urban kind of style, the Pokémon are Digimon/Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokémon hybrids and they are just too overdesigned and uninspired, there are WAY too many legendaries, to the point of where I don't even find them special anymore. Mewtwo was a GOD in Kanto, he was like THE MOST ULTIMATE POKéMON EVER IN EXISTENCE and now they are just throwing 10 legendaries in a game and the plot resolves around them and they just lost their value for me. I have a hard time coming up with things that I actually like about gen V.

With that I think it's clear that imo Kanto (and Johto) are definitely the best. The are original, they are still folk-like and have subtle mysteries instead of plots that are completely blown out of proportion like in V, the regions are fun to explore and I like almost every Pokémon, and I can't think of a character that I don't like in some way. The Pokémon in gen I and II still looked like they could actually exist somewhere, or came straight out of myths and folklore, instead of mechanical blown-up giants. Bigger is not always better.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Best gen for me, design-wise, is probably gen 4. It's not as simple as the original designs and not as clouded by nostalgia, but it's not as overkill as some of the designs in gen 3 or 5.

That said, I think gen 3 had the worst designs. I hate almost every legendary from that gen, haha. (I say this, but I still like a lot of Pokemon in this gen and some are just excellent.)

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Generation 1 is and always will be my favorite. I can play through it so many times with out ever getting tired. I'd have to say my least favorite is Generation 4. I just never really got into the story. :/

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    My favourite is definately gen 3. However I didn't like gen 1 to be honest.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Pokemon design

Best: III
    Worst: 1( Really a pile of crap that gets pissed off is considered an evolution?)

Back