• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Biggest disappointment?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Ok, yeah that title is a major fail! ;____;

So, what was your biggest disappointment for the 3 games?

The amazingly slow text speed & Game Play?

The amount of HM's you needed to get through the game?

The serious bad lack of Fire Types? ;3;

The horridly low leveled trainers and wild Pokemon and the shockingly high important trainers? [Elite 4/Evil Team/Gym Leaders/Rival]

Or maybe something else? ;o;

Mine would have to be the game play and text speed... it's just so slow! ;___; I wish they would have made it faster like B/W then it would of been playable.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I hated the style of the generation as a whole (This is not a nostalgia thing, everything was terrible about the 4th generation). The player avatars are terrible, the villains look terrible, the 3D is a failure, the games progress far too slowly in the beginning, many Pokemon of the generation are just hate-able (See Piplup), and the atmosphere generally is bad and boring.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Not able to catch the Red Gyrados that appeared at the beginning of the game. I think that the Red Gyrados is essential in the game because that is what I think the reason why the the protangonist and his rival started to travel on a pokemon journey... They should at least make the story focus on it instead of Team Galactic's conquest for dialga/palkia(?) to control time and space. That's an insult to a majestic shiny pokemon! (being sarcastic on the point on "majestic" considering that you can catch 1 in HG/SS)

Other than that, it's the sudden chaotic scene but its not really affecting the townsfolk unlike R/S/E.

Last edited:

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    The horridly low leveled trainers and wild Pokemon and the shockingly high important trainers? [Elite 4/Evil Team/Gym Leaders/Rival]

THIS

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed it, to be honest. I have such a hard time training my Pokemon in Platinum and it drives me crazy. Because I'll think I'm over-levelled because compared to the wild Pokemon and the trainers, I am. Then, I'll get to a gym or the League and get a wake up call. It drives me mad.

Also, the game seems to lag a LOT. I have never played a GBC/GBA/DS game that lags as badly as my copy of Platinum does. There seems to be a lag before battles, a lag before the start up screen... sometimes my sprite even seems to lag while he runs.

Years
    I guess the lack of Fire types was somewhat of a letdown, but there were no "real" disappointments for me with DPPt. It would be nice to have choices other than Chimchar and Rapidash, but I hardly ever use Fire Types, so the fact that DPPt lacked them didn't significantly disrupt my gameplay.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    I guess the lack of Fire types was somewhat of a letdown, but there were no "real" disappointments for me with DPPt. It would be nice to have choices other than Chimchar and Rapidash, but I hardly ever use Fire Types, so the fact that DPPt lacked them didn't significantly disrupt my gameplay.

In Platinum, the problem was kind of solved, though. In Platinum, you have Chimchar, Ponyta, Houndour, Magmar, and Flareon to choose from. In D/P you only have Chimchar and Ponyta, but I guess since I've never played Diamond or Pearl I don't see that as a disappointment.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2011
    Pokémon Contests. I think they arruined it in Sinnoh and I loved the Hoenn Contests.

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Had to be how over powered the Elite4 was. Not to mention the champion.
    Lol, I gave into my exp hack there, and my highest was lvl 80 empoleon, and that bugger of a champion still made waste with me. D;

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    Had to be how over powered the Elite4 was. Not to mention the champion.
    Lol, I gave into my exp hack there, and my highest was lvl 80 empoleon, and that bugger of a champion still made waste with me. D;

I agree, The first time I got to play it was when HG/SS came out because I didn't play D/P until Platinum. I remember that as well. I trained pretty well, and I went into the Elite4 and did good through the first 3, and then the last one and Cynthia gave me a challenge. Before I even knew what Spiritomb was >__< after that I trained one for myself.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
    It wasn't as boring to play as FR/LG were but they were still boring games overall. The Pokemon were in my opinion, the worst set to ever come out. Even the legendary Pokemon were dull(except Darkrai and Arceus). I also hated most of the music and how slow and boring the game is up until after the 7th gym. Then even after you beat the game in D/P there wasn't anything left to do but start over which I never really had the desire to do anyway. Platinum was OK to me but 4th gen is still my least favorite.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I honestly can't think of any. I loved Pearl so much, it is one of my favorites.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I was very disappointed in the slow movement speed in and the severe lack of Fire Pokemon in D/P (both got fixed in Platinum).

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I wasn't really disappointed with anything in particular. The three games were able to reach my overall expectations, not that I was expecting anything great from them. And I enjoyed playing the games. Maybe the lack of Fire types? idk.

Years
    Not able to catch the Red Gyrados that appeared at the beginning of the game. I think that the Red Gyrados is essential in the game because that is what I think the reason why the the protangonist and his rival started to travel on a pokemon journey... They should at least make the story focus on it instead of Team Galactic's conquest for dialga/palkia(?) to control time and space. That's an insult to a majestic shiny pokemon! (being sarcastic on the point on "majestic" considering that you can catch 1 in HG/SS)

Er, what Red Gyarados are you talking about? I don't remember a Red Gyarados being there early in the game at all. There was either Mespirit, Azelf, or Uxie at the beginning of the game, but you can catch those after you beat Team Galactic.

As for my biggest disappointment, I wasn't expecting much in the first place, so I wasn't surprised.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    The slow surfing speed and the lack of Fire-type (moves) in D/P, both of which were corrected in Platinum.

The lack of Meowh and Trapinch and their evos in the main scenario game, which Platinum actually made worse by removing Trapinch and evos altogether...

But on the whole, I can't complain too much about the games (especially Platinum which fixed most of the issues with D/P)

Years
    Let's see.. for me?
    Mutilation of Contests. I like the first two rounds, they just shouldn't have taken out combos D:

Anything else I had minor qualms with were adjusted in Platinum, which is one of my favorite games. :]

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    The slower gameplay in comparison to other games, particularly Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, which had really fast gameplay.

Years
    Er, what Red Gyarados are you talking about? I don't remember a Red Gyarados being there early in the game at all. There was either Mespirit, Azelf, or Uxie at the beginning of the game, but you can catch those after you beat Team Galactic.

As for my biggest disappointment, I wasn't expecting much in the first place, so I wasn't surprised.

I think he meant "the search for the red gyarados" That's shown on the t.v when you first start the game.

It's actually my favorite game, I just wish they'd get rid of the bloody geodude and zubat. haha

Back