• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Biggest disappointment?

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    about 80% of Gen IV pokemon were forgettable (Let me just search a few - kricketune, chingling, carnivine? (unless you watched anime for the last one)), and about 95% of those 80% were pokemon that I genuinely hated, such as probopass, lickilicky (especially), etc.

Gameplay was slow overall as well, such as slower surfing animation, waiting like 2 seconds for pokemon to come out from pokeball, and attack animations taking like 10 seconds... glad it was fixed in Gen V.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    it....is....the....slowest...game....in....terms.....of.....game....speed

and after the Elite Four, then they dump a load of stuff on you

takethisboattothebattlefrontierandrunaroundatinyisland
    doingnothingofanyvitalimprotanceorrevelevencetothemain
    gameasawhole

Detox

The fact that Platinum was even made. Ruined the metagame back then, to me at least.

Years
    The amazingly slow text speed & Game Play?

The amount of HM's you needed to get through the game?

The serious bad lack of Fire Types? ;3;

^
    All o' dat.
    The extremely slow battling in D/P was horrid. I just don't get how we could go from such a fast battling pace (R/S/E and FR/LG) to an extremely slow one. I mean, it just made the entire game soooo boring... I also hate the back sprite animations of the Pokemon (there were just a couple animations that were reused for every Pokemon!), and there's the lame storyline, the aggravating 3rd rival (who you never battle) that acts like a little professor's pet, and the most important thing: the uncannilly (yes, I know that's not a word) large amount of legendaries. Most of the legends you meet in the game have NO back story whatsoever, and are just sitting in their "tombs" or whatever. The game didn't give any type of importance to them, and I hate D/P for that.

Fortunately, Platinum managed to fix almost every issue in D/P (except the legends thing), so I kinda like Platinum. It's just that the Gen IV Pokemon are just so lame in general... IMO. :x

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Firstly, when I saw a picture of Magmortar, I automatically wanted one for my Fire type. Which was all good, because I was starting with Turtwig anyway (my first choice was Chimchar, but me and 2 of my friends took turns picking and I ended up stuck with Turtwig). Imagine my disappointment when I realized I couldn't even get a magmar until I beat the game, so it was Rapidash or nothing. However, I figured out that Skuntank could learn Flamethrower and I decided that a poisonous skunk was better than a lame horse. A smaller disappointment was how after Emerald's Battle Frontier, the games went back to only a Battle Tower. Luckily, Platinum fixed both of these disappointments, and I was even able to catch Houndoom, an even better Fire Type.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    The amazingly slow text speed & Game Play?

**** dat. Horribly slow, even at max text speed.

The amount of HM's you needed to get through the game?

Not much. I only needed something for Cut at the start, I use on my team all the others HMs with no probs.

The serious bad lack of Fire Types? ;3;

Not really, it's just that the Fire-types there are in D/P/Pt sucks.
    The only ones valuable are Infernape and Magmortar.

The horridly low leveled trainers and wild Pokemon and the shockingly high important trainers? [Elite 4/Evil Team/Gym Leaders/Rival]

Yep. I defeated the E4 and Champion with a Lv. 50 team, but I had a really bad time.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I just couldn't stand the generation as a whole. I mean, I love my Lucario and Torterra, but it was just soooooo unfun.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    My biggest disappointment was how little had been added. In fairness, they returned the day/night cycle, but that shouldn't have ever been taken out in the first place. The Pokémon were all dreary, and everywhere you went you saw a flipping Geodude. The Underground could've used a lot more work, and it was really formulaic.

Yes, I know that Pokémon in general has always been and always will be a formulaic RPG, but D/P didn't change anything! B/W introduced so many changes to gameplay, that really changed, if not improved, the experience.

Platinum got better, in my opinion. Great storyline. But still the disappointing lack of change.

Years
    The lack of fire types in D/P/P was a disappointment like others said.

I love fire types <3

Rekrapinator

Official Rekrapster
    Years
    Honestly,

I loved the music. I never noticed anything about the Fire types, but what I did notice is that the Ponyta would always FAINT. I just gave up trying to catch one... Maybe it's my extraordinarily bad luck with Pokemon games.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years
    Uh...GTS? I was expecting so much from it... Like for example, the problem of having different time zones... I was kind of expecing that youcan deposit Pokemon there, then yourpartner searches for your deposited Pokemon, offers you his Pokemon then you get back there and confirm... That may be troublesome to do, but it would help for those with trouble with time...
    Plus... GTS is filled with so many hacks <_<

Another one is the Pokemon contests... I wanted it to be like the 3rd gen...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    The amount of HM's you needed to get through the game. I didn't want to use HM slaves all the time (which was something I liked about B/W). Oh and the Victory Road... Oh my gosh if I'm right you needed to use all the HM's excluding Cut and Fly.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2011
    The HMs were the worst in my opinion. I'm currently playing through pearl again and i have a Staraptor who has a wasted move slot with defog, wth is defog!? But other then that i'm actually really enjoying it, i haven't played it for ages.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    the surfing speed was horribly low, but I'm probably the only person that's bothered by that. Another thing is that the lack of fire types really screwed me through part of the game, but that could just be my fault.

.Marion

RNG Master
    Years
    I am disappointed in its gameplay too.. And yeah I also think its way too slow for a normal pokemon game. Text speed, running speed of your character and all else are so slow..

p.s. That doesn't mean I hate DPPt, its just I want things fast :P

CyberBlaziken

huh? whaaaaat?
    Years
    Let's see.
    Ruining Pokemon Contest.
    No awesome Fire Types.
    Weak Trainers.
    The slow text speed/battle animations.
    And the plot kind of sucked in D/P

Platinum was way better than D/P

Back