• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black & White, Pokemon or not?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • My opinion IS law, so your first statement is irrelevant.

The examples you gave are more related to the overall gameplay, while what Im talking about (The gym system) is more relative to the plot. Pokemon should remain a turn-based rpg focused on raising monsters. However there's nothing wrong with changing up the plot in an rpg franchise once in a while. In most cases its appreciated. Do you see other popular rpgs like final fantasy and dragon quest (Which are way better comparisons, I may add) reusing the same plot for more than a decade? A pokemon game can work without gyms. In fact, the devs can be given a lot more freedom if they break away from the stupid gym system. Unfortunately your right about things not changing anytime soon. :(
    maybe this time's evil team will have more plot than other times :). Though it seems the gym system is still going to apply to this gen...

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    My opinion IS law, so your first statement is irrelevant.

The examples you gave are more related to the overall gameplay, while what Im talking about (The gym system) is more relative to the plot. Pokemon should remain a turn-based rpg focused on raising monsters. However there's nothing wrong with changing up the plot in an rpg franchise once in a while. In most cases its appreciated. Do you see other popular rpgs like final fantasy and dragon quest (Which are way better comparisons, I may add) reusing the same plot for more than a decade? A pokemon game can work without gyms. In fact, the devs can be given a lot more freedom if they break away from that stupid gym system. Unfortunately youre right about things not changing anytime soon.

If you want to be like that, Final Fantasy basically did do the same plot, they just replaced the characters and the motivations. The Cloud of Darkness wanted to destroy the world for the lulz, Zeromus wanted to destroy the world cause he thought humans were weak(iirc), Exdeath wanted to obtain the power of the void(and thus destroy the world), and Kefka wanted to do it for the lulz as well.

Dragon Quest certainly does the same thing. There always evil king baramos/psaro/nimzo/Rhapthorne/etc. who wants to destroy the world. It's getting kind of dull, but thankfully they changed it in the 9th installment.

Now that I think about it, Pokemon actually changed their goals more than many Final Fantasies. First you get a simple mafia that does bad things, then you get environmental terrorists, and last you get the cliche "destroy the world" team.

Take a look at all the Pokemon spin-offs. Why do they sell less than any of the other games? :| I DON'T KNOW, EH!
    Stop it, you're Australian, not Canadian. Real Australians use "guv'ner". >:(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • If you want to be like that, Final Fantasy basically did do the same plot, they just replaced the characters and the motivations. The Cloud of Darkness wanted to destroy the world for the lulz, Zeromus wanted to destroy the world cause he thought humans were weak(iirc), Exdeath wanted to obtain the power of the void(and thus destroy the world), and Kefka wanted to do it for the lulz as well.

Dragon Quest certainly does the same thing. There always evil king baramos/psaro/nimzo/Rhapthorne/etc. who wants to destroy the world. It's getting kind of dull, but thankfully they changed it in the 9th installment.

Now that I think about it, Pokemon actually changed their goals more than many Final Fantasies. First you get a simple mafia that does bad things, then you get environmental terrorists, and last you get the cliche "destroy the world" team.

Stop it, you're Australian, not Canadian. Real Australians use "guv'ner". >:(
    Well actually they were the "Destroy the Universe" team ;).
    I never realized that until you pointed it out (about FF) :)

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I'm going to put my opinion quite simply:
    Pokemon, like all good franchises, is evolving. Get over it.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I confused about all the new features, xDD all of them came out at once. The triple battles Im curious about. I wonder if we have to do that for a gym leader battle.

Charizardomination

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    Take a look at all the Pokemon spin-offs. Why do they sell less than any of the other games? :| I DON'T KNOW, EH!
    OH, OH I KNOW THIS ONE!

Because they lack MANY of the mechanics involved in pokemon. Theres never any turn based battling (pmd is more of its own stupid thing) or collecting/training pokemon to battle other trainers, unless you count the gamecube titles. A major factor those games didnt sell specifically is probably because due to the fact that handhelds generally sell better than home consoles. In fact, the gba sold A LOT better than the gamecube.

Thats stupid if you include the stupid plot with the stupid gyms and the elite 4. It looked like everyone here was all for change. I cant believe so many people actually are fighting for nintendo not to change the plot. I would love it if they changed this rather than add an extra pokemon to battles, remove all the old ones, and make them dance just for the sake of saying its new.

I'm going to put my opinion quite simply:
    Pokemon, like all good franchises, is evolving. Get over it.
    Too bad all the "upgrades" are garbage.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    There are a lot of changes, it will be confusing to me for the first couple days, I'm sure of it. XD

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
  • Honestly, I'm fine with all of the changes except for Triple Battling. Well actually, I've come to respect that as well. I like them, and I will buy one version.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • I just have one thing to say:

Black & White, Pokemon or not?

Besides that, I like everything new. Triple battles, double wild battles in tall grass, and so on.

I do NOT like the in-game map. It's just a giant circle with two stems. D:<

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Thats stupid if you include the stupid plot with the stupid gyms and the elite 4. It looked like everyone here was all for change. I cant believe so many people actually are fighting for nintendo not to change the plot. I would love it if they changed this rather than add an extra pokemon to battles, remove all the old ones, and make them dance just for the sake of saying its new.

So…you were complaining about the changes made to the game, but you're now complaining about things they aren't going to change? Geez, your standards will never be met.

And just so you know, I don't really care if Gamefreak changes the plot or not. It would be nice, but I don't play Pokemon for the storyline, I play it purely for the [fleeting] entertainment.

I just have one thing to say:

Besides that, I like everything new. Triple battles, double wild battles in tall grass, and so on.

I do NOT like the in-game map. It's just a giant circle with two stems. D:<
    This. It looks terribly linear. That's one of the reasons I didn't like Johto at all, it didn't even give the illusion of less linearity.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • Well really a route is the fastest distance from A to B. I think the diagonal routes are a good idea, because it would look more... linear if we had to deal with 90-degree angle corners all of the time. Yeah, a route is a line in the game map, but when you play, who knows how many twists and and turns you'll endure on a route?

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • Well, change isn't always a bad thing and I welcome the good changes.

But, I guess that you could say that Isshu has Isshues. :D

Isshu is pronounced Ees-shoo. Just saying. But it's obvious what you mean.

And change is rarely bad, it's usually for the better.

And no one will like everything about Isshu. :/

Back